• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you'd kill to have a multiplayer scene resurrected for.

Overwatch right after Ana was added. Genji was a beast, Mcree made a killing of tanks, and Roadhog hooks you from across the map behind a pillar. Also DVA ultimate tends to kill herself and a Mercy 5 player resurect just breaks the spirit of the opposing team. Good fucking times. Then of course they had to nerf everyone to be the most unfun shit ever.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

As much I would love to get that PSO or Chromehounds experience back, I KNOW that it will never be the same again. PSO would have to be f2p and with dreadful designs (coffcoffPSO2coffcoff). Chromehounds? It would end up like World of Tanks or Warthunder, a massive grind for parts/currency and having to pay for simple features like switching factions.

sainraja

When was the last time you played Warhawk? The day the servers went offline? Did you play the game at all that year? Almost nobody did since there was nobody playing the game then. The game is just meh, if it were good people would play it. You got games which are quite old and are still played today, games like Final Fantasy XI were still played until 2016 on PS2 so your point about new ecosystems isn't true. And when it comes to Battleforge it wasn't janky at all, it is very clean and crisp game which is why it was used as a display piece in promotional material by Nvidia and EA for DX11 all the time, it looked phenomenal, especially effects like reflections in ice and haze. The only problem with Battleforge is that it was quite repetitive and after playing it for a few hundred hours there really wasn't much to do so I slowly stopped playing it.

Also, Battleforge is 2009 and Faeria is 2017...

edit: lol, I just checked, Faeria has around 90 people playing it. The revived Battleforge has way more than that.
I played it almost daily during the PS3 era and would always return to it during that generation. As I said earlier, you think the game is a 'meh'. I am simply disagreeing with you and I was just being silly with the Battleforge and Faeria comparison (I thought it would be obvious since I repeated what you said word for word lol). You can insert Hearthstone in its place. My point was, I can just as easily dismiss something that you are interested in. And sure, the game isn't being played right now but that doesn't mean it was meh. You just missed out on it or it wasn't your type of game. Simple as.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I played it almost daily during the PS3 era and would always return to it during that generation. As I said earlier, you think the game is a 'meh'. I am simply disagreeing with you and I was just being silly with the Battleforge and Faeria comparison (I thought it would be obvious since I repeated what you said word for word lol). You can insert Hearthstone in its place. My point was, I can just as easily dismiss something that you are interested in. And sure, the game isn't being played right now but that doesn't mean it was meh. You just missed out on it or it wasn't your type of game. Simple as.
If 100 people play a game it isn't because of me thinking it isn't good or not being "my type of game", it quite obviously demonstrates that it is nobody's type of game or that there are similar games which are just straight up better.

Last edited:

sainraja

If 100 people play a game it isn't because of me thinking it isn't good or not being "my type of game", it quite obviously demonstrates that it is nobody's type of game or that there are similar games which are just straight up better.
You tried playing the game during the year they were shutting down the servers. Not to mention the developers had released a follow-up to the game set in a sci-fi universe which had similar gameplay with RTS elements (you could quickly drop buildings/turrets etc), so some people also moved on to that (I had). I think your logic is flawed in how you judge a game. During launch and the years after, there were plenty of people playing it. You just missed out on the game when it was at its best.

I don't think you would have liked it then either because based on your comments I just think it wasn't your type of game.

Sure other games came out afterwards but I would certainly welcome the series back if Sony decided to bring it forward and I hope they do.

There are still some people who are hanging on to Warhawk:

You can spin it however you want. The game was pure fun and had a variety of different ways you could play it.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Crazy Taxi. 50 or 60 cabbies fighting over and stealing fares from eachother throughout the four maps of CT 1 & 2 would be utter carnage.

mcz117chief

You tried playing the game during the year they were shutting down the servers. Not to mention the developers had released a follow-up to the game set in a sci-fi universe which had similar gameplay with RTS elements (you could quickly drop buildings/turrets etc), so some people also moved on to that (I had). I think your logic is flawed in how you judge a game. During launch and the years after, there were plenty of people playing it. You just missed out on the game when it was at its best.

I don't think you would have liked it then either because based on your comments I just think it wasn't your type of game.

Sure other games came out afterwards but I would certainly welcome the series back if Sony decided to bring it forward and I hope they do.

There are still some people who are hanging on to Warhawk:

You can spin it however you want. The game was pure fun and had a variety of different ways you could play it.

I played Starhawk, it died in a month. The singleplayer was ok, multiplayer was just people running over each other with bikes.

If Warhawk is "pure fun" why is nobody playing it? Football is pure fun which is why millions of people play it.

Also, 3 comments, really active sub reddit. The game is just dead and wasn't good, get over it.

edit: or maybe the game wasn't all that bad but it was so incredibly niche that it just couldn't sustain itself, one or the other.

Last edited:

TexMex

Ultima Online by far. Best MMO in so many ways. A few relatively active fan run servers exist, but they can't replicate that true first run experience.

Warcraft 3 - Reforged helped up the player base, and the pro scene is as good as it's ever been. But still a far from the early 2000's when Frozen Throne first hit.

The first Black Ops and Bad Company 2 are my favorites in those franchises so seeing those back in action would be nice too.

sainraja

I played Starhawk, it died in a month. The singleplayer was ok, multiplayer was just people running over each other with bikes.

If Warhawk is "pure fun" why is nobody playing it? Football is pure fun which is why millions of people play it.

Also, 3 comments, really active sub reddit. The game is just dead and wasn't good, get over it.
Yes, Starhawk wasn't as popular as Warhawk. It didn't die in a month. And no. You clearly didn't invest a lot of time into Starhawk and/or Warhawk for that matter. I think YOU need to get over the fact that there are people who enjoyed Warhawk. The only thing you keep falling back on is why isn't there a community for it right now. It doesn't matter. Some games survive longer than expected after launch and when a new generation starts and others don't. It does not mean what you want it to mean.

Not your type of games. Done.

I am shocked that you are having such a hard time accepting the fact that a game can be fun and enjoyed by many people even if it does not sustain itself after a generation passes and the developers haven't introduced a sequel or a follow up - Starhawk was a good game but it wasn't what people were asking for which was Warhawk 2. I never said the game was as popular as Fortnite. I just called you out on saying that the game wasn't enjoyed by anyone based on your couple minutes of playtime during the time the servers were being shut.

Last edited:

sainraja

That is my point, those don't exist, if they did they would play the game.
You're just...I don't even know what to say, lol. Hopefully there will be sequel to the game. I am just going to repeat what I said in my edit.

---> I am shocked that you are having such a hard time accepting the fact that a game can be fun and enjoyed by many people even if it does not sustain itself after a generation passes and the developers haven't introduced a sequel or a follow up - Starhawk was a good game but it wasn't what people were asking for which was Warhawk 2. I never said the game was as popular as Fortnite. I just called you out on saying that the game wasn't enjoyed by anyone based on your couple minutes of playtime during the time the servers were being shut.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I am just going to repeat what I said in my edit. You're just...I don't even know what to say, lol.

---> I am shocked that you are having such a hard time accepting the fact that a game can be fun and enjoyed by many people
nope

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Not surprised you responded with this lol. But you certainly did miss out on the game when it was popular. I never claimed it was a Fortnite btw.
I never said it was. The fact of the matter is that it never was popular to begin with, vast majority of players don't know the game because it was that niche, I only found out about it through GAF and it was sold at a small shop for a dollar so I gave it a shot, played it for a few days but it didn't keep me interested, I liked some of the aspects, it was basically budget 3rd person Battlefield but it just wasn't doing anything better than Battlefield.

Last edited:

sainraja

I never said it was. The fact of the matter is that it never was popular to begin with, vast majority of players don't know the game because it was that niche, I only found out about it through GAF and it was sold at a small shop for a dollar so I gave it a shot, played it for a few days but it didn't keep me interested, I liked some of the aspects, it was basically budget 3rd person Battlefield but it just wasn't doing anything better than Battlefield.
I am sorry you missed out on the game and ended up spending money on it when it wasn't as popular. Better luck next time!

And I have played Battlefield. I didn't enjoy it enough to get into it. Just to give you a taste of how a game can be liked by others while you may not like it yourself. :p

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I am sorry you missed out on the game and ended up spending money on it when it wasn't as popular. Better luck next time!
I got my dollars worth of fun. Like I said I played it for a few days. Played about 30+ matches. A bargain! Definitely played it more than Starhawk which I payed full price for.

Last edited:

sainraja

I got my dollars worth of fun. Like I said I played it for a few days. Played about 30+ matches. A bargain! Definitely played it more than Starhawk which I payed full price for.
Still not the same as when it was popular.
During the last year, specially before the servers were pulled, you could only join smaller team death-match type of servers.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Still not the same as when it was popular.
During the last year, specially before the servers were pulled, you could only join smaller team death-match type of servers.
Nah, I played only the base captures with turrets and all vehicles. There were always two of those at least available. I even played the DLC maps with the large transports.

That mus have been insane. I just wish they would reboot MAG and Socom with the power of PS5 and the built in controller microphone.

It was an ok game, a nice mix between Call of Duty and Battlefield. Although that 250+ players in one match was basically false.

Last edited:

sainraja

Nah, I played only the base captures with turrets and all vehicles. There were always two of those at least available. I even played the DLC maps with the large transports.
Capture the flag was the best mode in my opinion and where I spent most of the time and they were usually on the full version of each map which was great.

NonPhixion

Warhawk was such a fun PS3 game from 14 years ago. I remember using a proxy server trick to install the beta onto mine and my friends PS3 so we could play it before it launched. I bought it at launch and it came with a free Jabra Bluetooth headset!

sainraja

Warhawk was such a fun PS3 game from 14 years ago. I remember using a proxy server trick to install the beta onto mine and my friends PS3 so we could play it before it launched. I bought it at launch and it came with a free Jabra Bluetooth headset!
Yeah, 100% agreed! I still have the original packaging for the game.

Malcolm9

Rainbow Six Vegas 1, loved the multiplayer on that in the early 360 days. Just a shame that Modern Warfare completely killed off any competition when it came out.

It’s not the best game, but I played Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood for about 2 years and it was such a blast. The bank robbing/steal horses/escape mode was amazing.

MAX PAYMENT

Ultima Online by far. Best MMO in so many ways. A few relatively active fan run servers exist, but they can't replicate that true first run experience.

Warcraft 3 - Reforged helped up the player base, and the pro scene is as good as it's ever been. But still a far from the early 2000's when Frozen Throne first hit.

The first Black Ops and Bad Company 2 are my favorites in those franchises so seeing those back in action would be nice too.
Omg Ultima online. What an experience. I wish there could be a modern game with a philosophy similar to UO's beginning.

MGO2 - I know, you can still access it on PS3 even though the servers were shut down, thanks to a MGOR. But the community is so small, I would absolutely love to have access to this game on current gen.

There are others I would love to see revived and brought back to life such as Uncharted 2/3, Bad Company 2, AC Brotherhood, ME3 (Which I’m hoping will be included with the legacy collection when it releases this year). But above all, I want MGO2.

Boss Man

Resistance: Fall of Man

Which I’m told was similar to TimeSplitters.

There were 2-3 other Resistance games after the original, but they all came out after the Call of Duty: MW FPS revolution and they borrowed more from that than the original gameplay.

Final Fantasy XI

This was probably just Japanese Everquest, but it felt like an organic world. It could stand to gain a lot from modern MMOs, but not the theme-park structure that they all have.

I’m not sure what the perfect balance is between the convenience of instanced dungeons with preformed groups consisting of mostly similar but balanced classes and the sense of adventure from exploring open worlds with a group you set out from town with consisting of highly varied but delicately balanced classes...but I would give a lot of my time and money to anyone who could figure it out.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
DBeTAqWdNQZWCOT-800x450-noPad.jpg

Did the petition for this ever get enough signatures?

Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64.

The multiplayer scene was simple: friends came over, we played Mario Kart and Goldeneye.

Of course for this to happen again I'd have to have friends or want to be around people, which I don't so multiplayer is dead to me now.

sainraja

Resistance: Fall of Man

Which I’m told was similar to TimeSplitters.

There were 2-3 other Resistance games after the original, but they all came out after the Call of Duty: MW FPS revolution and they borrowed more from that than the original gameplay.

Final Fantasy XI

This was probably just Japanese Everquest, but it felt like an organic world. It could stand to gain a lot from modern MMOs, but not the theme-park structure that they all have.

I’m not sure what the perfect balance is between the convenience of instanced dungeons with preformed groups consisting of mostly similar but balanced classes and the sense of adventure from exploring open worlds with a group you set out from town with consisting of highly varied but delicately balanced classes...but I would give a lot of my time and money to anyone who could figure it out.
I haven't played TimeSplitters (I don't think?) but I enjoyed the Resistance series despite the change they made to the game that made it closer to COD in terms of weapon you could carry etc. They did address that in the third by returning to the series roots. My favorite gun was the Bullseye.

sainraja

Killzone motha fuckin' 2 GOAT
Resistance Fall of Man/ Resistance 2, R3's story was aces, but the MP was a disaster....
I enjoyed both the first, second and third but would rate the first and 3rd better overall compared to 2nd one. Also, I liked how they told the story in the first game.

Top Bottom