• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've given up on

PreFire

I have a compulsion to finish every game I play, but when it came to Fable 3.. My goodness was this game completely different from part 2. I think I got 2 hours I'm before I gave up. Sad thing is, I still have it in my 360 collection.. It keeps taunting me :(

At the moment Far Cry 4 is doing this to me. I'm about to drop it altogether but I keep fighting it. And I'm a huge Far Cry fan.. Idk if it's the fake countries, horrible accents or recycled gameplay.. But I'm struggling to play through it :(

Vindicator

Assassins Creed 3 - first AC for me, nice graphics at first but became so boring, no further interest in the series. Gave up on Watch Dogs too.

Dysun

Final Fantasy 13
LEGO Batman (the one and only LEGO game I will ever buy/play)
Prince of Persia 2008

Physical games that I own, and know I will never play to completion

ninja gaiden sigma. too hard for me.
red dead redemption. i am not sure what to do next game is not telling me anything. i keep doing same thing over and over.

Persona 4 Golden- I don't like games where I have to micro manage some kind of pet system. Ie..Pokemon, Jade cocoon, Ni No Kuni

I think I'm done with Persona Q. The timed side-quests at the end of the second dungeon just seemed like I would have to jump through hoops for a few XP (retread through the whole dungeon looking for something, fight an NPC who required I had a skill I didn't have), plus the ridiculously childish "story" and dialogue just became too much. I went on to the third dungeon but I couldn't be bothered by that point and turned it off.

I really enjoyed the game play, but everything else just bogged down the experience. It has definately made me want to play the Etrian Odyssey games though since I believe they're very light on story and it's all gameplay basically? Sounds more like my type of thing - I've had enough schoolgirls with eating disorders and tons of childish "I don't like girls, because they're icky" dialogue which is what passes for a story in Persona Q.

TRI Mike

Drakengard 3: Its just a bad game

Toukiden: got bored because i have no one to play with

Pokemon ORAS: got bored, need to get back to this one for Multiplayer

Apo

Started Hotline Miami (1) today and I am thinking about giving up on that after the first few chapters. My biggest issue are the controls no matter if I use a controller or keyboard/mouse. As soon as there a lot of enemies who shoot at me I am lost. They stand outside of my actual screen and I concentrate on another enemy and have no clue that they are coming at me. And when I realize it is already to late because of the controls. :(

therapist

COD AW
my least played cod game ever at 3 hours total.

For reference i have 900 hours in cod4 , 600 blops 1 and 300 blops 2

Mutant Mudds Deluxe

I am not completely sure if I am going to stop completely but I am certainly considering it. I like the style, concept, and controls but there are few things irking me.

1. Rhythm based platforming - I don't mind the flow perfect Tricky treasure chest runs of Rayman Origins but the constant wave of jumping through this thing while that thing spins around in MMD is really getting on my nerves. I do not mind it in spurts but it seems like every level is throwing them in non stop, limiting the freedom in how you approach obstacles moving forward. I never question how I make it to a point rather I look ahead and just see the pattern and hope I get it right to move to the next pattern. What makes this even more frustrating is the jumps require you to be at your peak jump distance and height whilst maintaining that rhythm. This kind of platforming is not fun to me.

2. Enemies you can't kill - A few enemies here and there that do not perish, fine, I am ok with that (even though the protagonist has an infinite ammo weapon at all times). A whole world dedicated to enemies that do not stay down but must be taken down with a limited use powerup only to reanimate seconds later as you try to make your way through pixel perfect jumps with rhythm based platforming, a recipe for frustration and a leech on fun factor. Did I mention this is not midway through the game but maybe the 2nd or 3rd world? Its quite the jump in difficulty and soured the taste of charming yet fairly challenging levels that introduce the game.

I want to like this game but I almost avoid my vita now because I am determined to see my way to the end and I am using the suspend function to maintain a checkpoint on a really difficult level.

Far Cry 4. Solid game, but it's just way too similar to Far Cry 3 for me. Might try that Yeti DLC, but otherwise I'll just uninstall it for some more space.

Justinh

Ryse - The game just bores me.

Witcher 2 - I might try this again someday. It just...I don't know but it's just feels weird to me so I can't get into it.

I gave up on dark Souls for almost a year. I hated that game but when I tried itagain, I played as a thief and kinda fell in love with the game and got way into it.

The most recent is EDF 2025. It's my first EDF and while I love the campy atmosphere, I dislike the fact that you have to play levels over and over in hopes for better weapon drops.

Xenoboy

Okami - The controls were infuriating and the game had too much text that it killed it for me. I still can't manage to get why people like so much.

Eternal Darkness - Controls were also infuriating here and the I died somewhere and it spawned me way back, so I quit.

AaronMT86

Watch_Dogs, day 1 purchase, gave up on it after maybe 2 hours in. It was just so bad. Never felt such huge buyers remorse.

Galdius

Last month I started playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time. I played 9 hours in 3 or 4 days but still haven't finished it. I decided to take a break off it but I didn't manage to come back to it. To tell the truth, I was expecting more of it. Maybe if I had played it on the 360 I would have enjoyed it more since in the remaster when you die you don't loose the pieces you collected along the level.

yoplay

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number.

Smh. I found myself playing the game with no real purpose other than to say I finished it. Just put down the controller a few hours ago after I completed level 16. Found the game to be quite boring this time around.

WX3

Recent Syndicate reboot on hardest mode had me stuck at the first minigun boss and I never went back...

...until I picked it up on PC and ran through it on EASY!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
GTA4 is probably the main one for me. Played it for like a day or 2 back in 2008 at launch. Didn't touch it again for like 4 years, tried again for like a couple of hours in 2012. Haven't been back since. I think I'm just done with those games. I'm still flabbergasted Rockstar hasn't fixed the basic movement/gunplay/controls in that game. The GTA games still play like they did on the PS2/Xbox.

The stranger part? People keep buying them despite how terrible they play.

FTL and Papers Please. Bought them due to GAF hype, but didnt really like them.

ftl, i stopped playing but that is because i can't be arsed to learn the rules and mechanics. i'll go back to it later, though.

papers, please i just can't get into. all the bullshit that the games media talked about like "the morality, the weight of your decisions" and all the pretentious nonsense did not have an effect on me at all. why would i care for people i have not seen, don't have any back story to them, no development, only text labels as "my family". games media put it up on a pedestal as if it were on par with other games that actually made you care about side characters and decisions.

yoplay

GTA4 is probably the main one for me. Played it for like a day or 2 back in 2008 at launch. Didn't touch it again for like 4 years, tried again for like a couple of hours in 2012. Haven't been back since. I think I'm just done with those games. I'm still flabbergasted Rockstar hasn't fixed the basic movement/gunplay/controls in that game. The GTA games still play like they did on the PS2/Xbox.

The stranger part? People keep buying them despite how terrible they play.

This.

They always get a pass from reviewers on this. It is quite nauseating. The controls suck bad.

Kain

Skyrim. There was no way I could tolerate hours of that unsatisfying combat.

This. I finished the Brotherhood questline and some other things but I couldn't be bothered with the main quest and the combat reached its peak a few hours in, there is just nothing new after a while. I guess the scaling enemies killed the game for me.

Persona 4 Golden- I don't like games where I have to micro manage some kind of pet system. Ie..Pokemon, Jade cocoon, Ni No Kuni

You don't. Personae are basically your combat stats and you can use the same for all the game if you want. The cool thing is to fuse and discover like crazy, but you really don't have to micromanage anything.

About Witcher 2, I can understand why it seems son non-friendly. The tutorial and the first zone are not very inviting, and the combat can feel a bit overwhelming with all the potion and traps and stuff. You should try the official combat rebalance mod, it makes the game more straightforward and you can focus on the storytelling and the lore, which are superb.

Kalor

Ni No Kuni is the only game that I can think of that I have given up on. I played about 25 hours and the AI is unresponsive even when you tell them to defend which results in easily dying when against bosses.

It's a shame as well as I was really looking forward to Ni No Kuni coming out and I was enjoying the story and world but the combat has just pushed me away from it. I might try it again at some point but I know that I will run into another wall if I get pass the current boss I am stuck on.

Okami - The controls were infuriating and the game had too much text that it killed it for me. I still can't manage to get why people like so much.

What system did you play it on? Both the PS2/3 and Wii controls were fine by me.

On topic, I don't really like saying that I've completely given up on a game because I try to beat everything I buy. But I apparently have only played Dead Island for 24 minutes and I have almost zero interest in playing it again. I honestly don't remember why I bought it.

Persona 4 - loved the game but the constant grinding to get to the right level for dungeons annoyed me. I will give it a go again one day

Halo 4 - bought on launch day, had a few goes on multiplayer played a couple of sp missions and gave up on it. Just didn't feel like I was enjoying it

GTA4 - got bored halfway through and never went back to it.

I sense a pattern....

Mandelbo

Lords of the Fallen. Couldn't deal with the hideously slow, clunky, imprecise combat - it felt like they were trying to ape the souls games without understanding why the combat was so good. It's like Harkyn is moving in treacle whenever you swing your weapon!

Also the bosses suck

mp1990

Banned
Difficulty wise ? The Witcher 2. The fucking tutorial destroyed me,and i didn't want to play it on easy,so i just gave up because my fuck it,my backlog is enormous and i have too many other games to play.
Now,AC:U and Watch Dogs,i gave up because i hated them. Watch Dogs i probably played about 15 hours,and i couldn't hate it anymore. But AC: Unity i probably played about 3 hours and stop playing it,it was one of the most soulless game i've ever played,and i didn't even had any bug problems.

Mentok

Banned
Ni no Kuni and Bioshock Infinite. Both for the same reason, the combat. I couldn't get into Ni No Kuni's battle system and I hated the gunplay from Infinite.

Mr_L

89e708680cb0cf2cc39a5dea187fe614.png
5550f799e7fade0d22caa294c65fe7b2.png
21bc73043fb8012387bd4d745facaa21.png

Quite a few.

This hits me hard. Could not be truer to my own situation.

Who

Banned
A ton of games. It takes me being in the right mood at the right time to enjoy them.

The last few "AAA" western releases I tried come to mind: Bioshock Infinite and ACIV. Both bored me to death.

Roto13

Last generation, tons, since it was the first generation where I ended up with more games than I could possibly play anyway. But one that stands out in my mind is 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was like a soulless tribute to much better games. I wasn't enjoying it, so when I cleared a really annoying dungeon, progressed, and then realized that I missed a necessary item in that dungeon and couldn't make it any farther without going back in, I just turned it off and never went back.

I managed to finish that shit, good lord was it a waste of time.

The dungeons in that game (Tales of Graces f) were so bad. Ugh. The final one was basically just trial and error. I suffered through Episode F or whatever it was called so I could just get it done and delete it from my PS3. Wasn't worth it.

The battle system doesn't make up for how terrible everything else about that game is.

jaina

I usually retire games when I'm having trouble with a challenge. If the challenge itself does not interest me and outweighs the desire to see the rest of the game.

• Braid: In world 5 the mechanic got too complicated for me and I stopped playing
  • Jagged Alliance / Jagged Alliance 2: really like those games, but never was great at the managing aspect between missions (especially in 2). so I never finished either.
  • Rune Factory 3: after the first tutorials, I tried to find a dungeon or story progression point. stopped after an 1 hour searching around the town and outer area (forest?). Now looking at a walkthrough, I'm not sure how I missed the Racoon boss.
  • Super Meat Boy: in world 4 or so I wasn't interested in more challenging stuff
  • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP: didn't keep me interested
  • Orcs Must Die: got overwhelmed in 1 level, stopped after 4 tries
  • (maybe) Hotline Miami: stuck on the 2nd floor of Hot & Heavy
  • (maybe) Guacamelee: at final boss, it's tedious. already had a lot of tries on Javier

You don't. Personae are basically your combat stats and you can use the same for all the game if you want. The cool thing is to fuse and discover like crazy, but you really don't have to micromanage anything.
Just having to aquire new perosona and fuse them to create stronger ones is enough of pet system to me. I hate it. I played about 8 hours and just couldn't do it. I didn't get very far in,
I got to the boss of the first dungeon and have to save what's her face. I think Yuki what her name.

mdubs

Banned
Kingdom Hearts HD - Can't beat the second stage of the final boss, way too frustration.

Conception II - Too much grinding to level up the Star Children before letting them free.

Tears to Tiara 2 - Plot is too slow even 9 hours in and game is like 80 hours long, I just can't do it.

God of War Vita - Terrible port, and the trophies are broken.

Top Bottom