• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you've given up on

Batman: Arkham City - I took a break right before the final boss, started XCOM: Enemy Unknown and never went back.

Spec Ops: The Line - I got stuck on a sequence involving a turret and refused to lower the difficulty. Eventually I just gave up. I watched the endings on YouTube.

Phocks

Dark Souls, my friends wouldn't shut up about it and berated me for not playing it when it was the hot shit so i dropped it out of spite

Mass Effect 2. Just got so damn bored after getting all the characters and doing all their missions and upgrading everything. That game is not fun at all.

I don't know why I went as far as I did. Maybe it just looked really pretty.

Kientin

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. I like the game, but that dumb alignment system frustrates me to no end. I'm still going to go back to it eventually though. :p

Mass Effect trilogy for PC. I bought the game fully ready to dive in but it doesn't have any controller support. I tried playing it with a keyboard and mouse but just couldn't do it.

Might buy the trilogy on ps3 or I'm hoping for a HD remaster on Ps4

vypek

Sölf;156037249 said:
Yes, the 4th and final one, after I don't know, 80 hours of playtime? It's the part were you suddenly have to hack 3 doors and each requires 4 different of the infected/virus cores/whtaever they are called and 2-3 each. So 8-12 cores per door. Yeah, I am not farming those because of that stupid infection mechanic.

That infection mechanic was really infuriating. I don't even remember how you lower your infection but it was really annoying when you had to keep using data drain and it worked against you

Atlas157

Kingdom Hearts 3D - Bored me to tears

Battlefield 4 (Multiplayer) - Self explanatory

Final Fantasy XIII - Self explanatory

Tales of Xillia - I liked it but I stopped playing and never went back since, I guess I just lost interest

Do you just...not like gaming? I'm asking that honestly, as just about every genre is represented on that list, and most of the games on it are, at the very least, fairly good.

My list is way longer than that. There's a ton of Gamefly/Playstation + games that i played for less than an hour and just wasn't interested in.

Molemitts

I'm worried the list might be longer than games I've actually finished. I don't force myself to finish games I don't enjoy. I don't even buy that many games, I guess I just have really high standards or something.

Mass Effect trilogy for PC. I bought the game fully ready to dive in but it doesn't have any controller support. I tried playing it with a keyboard and mouse but just couldn't do it.

The lack of controller support for PC is madness.

I wanted to pick up the trilogy to play through again because I didn't finish Mass Effect 3 but they don't include the DLC.

Ogawa-san

I've gave Witcher 2 a few shots, and I still can't believe people put up with that combat. No amount of modding would make it fun.

Ni No Kuni. That game needed a whole new battle system. The mix of action and turn based combat wasn't fun and the AI was stupid as hell.
Yeeeeeep. 10h later, I hated the game almost as much as I hated myself.

Ashilyn

Dark Souls, Ni No Kuni and The Witcher 2 were big ones for me. I went into all with pretty high expectations, and none were particularly fun or engrossing, and ultimately I just set them aside.

More recently, I gave up on Pier Solar after getting several hours into it. Maybe it picks up later, but the battle system was alternatively bland and annoying, and the plot and characters followed the same trend. It was a shame too, I was also really hype for that game before it's release. I also recently gave up on The Evil Within. That game was just too uneven to be enjoyable, and I say that as someone who has enjoyed some really shit survival horror games. Lightning Returns was actualy a really hard one to give up on, too, because I ended up really enjoying the first two XIII games. The battle system was awesome - I'd play another game with that combat and class/outfit system in a heartbeat. But christ, the timed aspect was awfully implamented, and if I ever hear Lightning talk about God again I'm going to put my head through a window. Such bad writing @_@.

18-Volt

Dragon Quest V - final boss. No matter how I have grinded that asshole was still unbeatable.

Demon's Souls - Too hard.

Ratchet & Clank 1 - cheap difficulty. I need more luck to finish it.

Lollipop Chainsaw - Cheap difficulty.

Jak 2 Renegade - I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on this.

Disgaea 3 - I have finished all Disgaea games but this one by far the most boring one. Thank god D4 is nothing like that.

Hotline Miami - requires perfect reflexes. I do not have any.

joecanada

Do you just...not like gaming? I'm asking that honestly, as just about every genre is represented on that list, and most of the games on it are, at the very least, fairly good.

Well I'm not seeing tons of unmissable games on that list some like saints row are easy to forget story missions as you are screwing around alot, payday2 you may not like certain mission and there's not really an end to it. I wouldn't finish half these either but I wouldn't buy this many either

Mogwai

Thank god. I'm not crazy then. I abandoned ME3 on the PC too as I didn't feel like bothering with that janky controller support.

It's just a shame that the DLC on the PS store is insanely overpriced.

Roto13

How does someone give up on Proteus? It's like half an hour long.

2thepoint

I gave up on The Lion King for Sega Genesis right before you fight Scar because I found it too difficult - I was about 5.

I still haven't forgiven myself for that.

SuomiDude

Viewtiful Joe (GC). The game mechanics remind me of this day's Platinum Games' games, very difficult to get a hang of and nothing is really explained so well. But in VJ's case, I just couldn't take it in one of the earlier bosses, I couldn't for the life of me get good at the game because of the combat mechanics that I said fuck it and never played it again. And this was on medium difficulty only.

Recently:

Ni no Kuni - Sidequest structure is awful and the battle system is mediocre at best. AI are also incredibly stupid. Gave up while I was in the desert area.

Persona 4 vanilla - The dungeon crawling in general got incredibly repetitive/boring after only being in the second dungeon for a day. Couldn't stomach it any longer, which sucks because I really liked most everything else about P4.

Kriken

There are very few games I "give up" on, although I lost interest in Max Payne 3 very quickly an don't think I want to give it another chance anytime soon

The Wonderful 101 - I tried to get into it, and played through most of it. It just dragged on and on and on with an uninteresting storyline, annoying controls and mediocre gameplay.

Thor - Rented it and hated it. Even the completionist inside of me couldn't find reasons to continue.

Bydobob

Way to many to list to be honest.

Pretty much. Life's too short and when it starts feeling like an effort I know it's time to move on to the next game.

Recent games I enjoyed greatly but hit a wall 3/4 of the way through are Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dying Light.

HardRojo

1. Sonic Unleashed: Controls are not refined and losing all lives in Eggmanland due to that, frustrated me to no end.
  2. Transistor: I really love the OST in this game but man... I don't like the voice and tone of the Transistor sword... it's really boring.
  3. Sly Cooper Thieves in Time: Best Sly Cooper game is the first one. I hate the pace in this game. You walk a little, engage in converstation, finish an easy task, more conversation, go to the vantage point, more conversation, finish another easy task, more conversation. Just let me go through a whole level without having to put up with a lot of shit! Like the first game!

Roto13

There are very few games I "give up" on, although I lost interest in Max Payne 3 very quickly an don't think I want to give it another chance anytime soon

I gave up on Max Payne 3 because of the eye-searing chromatic aberration and Max's constant complaining. It's supposed to be a type of noir-inspired narration but it just comes off as whining.

RP912

Banned
Torchlight 1.

After the final level and the weird quest issues I've been having during gameplay. I just moved on with my life.

Project Sylpheed: so boring. =/

We had a games room at the university I went to with a bunch of different consoles and PCs to play whatever games we wanted. Every time I went in there and I couldn't get the 360 was because some guy was playing Project Slypheed on it. I swear he played that game for several months in a row and never got bored.

wb68fNfl.jpg

Velurian

Mass Effect 2.
Too much shit to do and upgrading is unrewarding.

Loved the 1st one A LOT.

Tansistor.
Oozes quality but gameplay is just not fun.

Georome

Zelda: Skyward Sword. The structure of the game sucked and motion controls can fuck off forever.

The Witcher: Just couldn't get the controls down, and I wasn't into the story.

Red Dead Redemption: For some reason it just didn't click with me.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: Fuck the save system in that game. Many times I quit because I was certain it said I had reached a checkpoint, and I lose 45 minutes of gameplay.

Gastone

Wonderul 101 - Shit is just way too whack...didn´t really enjoy playing it.
Ni No Kuni - After 8-10 hours i came to conclusion it was just another tedious JRPG with Ghibli wrapping.

Kirlia

Banned
Actual Final Fantasy 3. The final dungeon is the longest grindfest I've ever seen, with no save points. It's not happening.

YES. No matter how much I leveled up my characters (and each level took FOREVER), the final dungeon (at least in the DS version) felt hopelessly bleak. I might eventually emulate the translated NES version of the game (which is still hard, but if I have to utilize save states for the final dungeon, I shall), but the DS version is a nightmare. It's my least favorite FF by far...however, I've yet to play FFXIII...

I also gave up on the final boss of LOZ: Minish Cap, although I was borrowing the game from a friend and had to give the game back. I gave up about 3/4ths through Breath of Fire III (I think because of some mini game that I hated...and I never saw the Desert of Death), although I'd return to that game if I could.

Also, although I beat Rogue Galaxy (a difficult PS2 RPG from Level 5), there were several points that I felt like ditching the game, and the final boss is extremely frustrating without healing items (there are NO healing spells in the game). So, anyone who has abandoned the game, I don't blame you.

Malikov

Banned
Mass Effect 2. Just got so damn bored after getting all the characters and doing all their missions and upgrading everything. That game is not fun at all.

I don't know why I went as far as I did. Maybe it just looked really pretty.

yeah the side missions are excessive

I had to take like a month break off the game twice before i could finish it. Took me about 5 months on & off to finish it.

First game was way better

Radius

White Knight Chronicles: can't be bothered to finish a game with such a boring battle system, no matter how often I hear that the story campaign is very short.

Final Fantasy II, IV and XIII-2: terrible stat system, grindfest, boooring

Dragon Quest VIII: I'd love to play this but it gives me terrible motion sickness

Final Fantasy XII. Fuck the License Board, Gambits, those horribly boring characters (Balthier and maybe Fran excepted), that awfully bland world with its endless wasteland-ish deserts (at least toward the beginning), that forgettable soundtrack, that obvious and tired Star Wars inspiration, the lack of focus stemming from the aimless wandering/open-world exploration... all of it. What a thoroughly bland game.

Only offline FF game I've given up on. I had to. I was bored to tears.

nikos

The Last of Us.

I bought it for PS3 and PS4 but just can't get myself to enjoy or finish the game for various reasons.

Also just sold Dragon Age: Inquisition because I couldn't get into that either, even though I'm a big fan of RPGs.

Top Bottom