• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gamescom closes for the day: too many visitors

Rikkun

S1kkZ said:
gc should get much more attention from the publishers. i remember when ms announced the price and release date for the 360, that was pretty big. i think they should move gc to september/october.
September/October wouldn't give 'em the money they can get in August, with schools closed i think. Also, they would be against TGS.
They could do something in February, but I don't think there would be many announcements or new demos..

Vigilant Walrus said:
Who are you refering to, with regards to comparing gaming conventions in this thread? Aren't you just spreading awareness to what you, think is a problem?

I'm not referring to anyone precisely, the whole first and second pages are full with "Europe is bigger than US" "no we are bigger" "dream boy" "no u".

And I don't think I get the second part.. aren't those pics showing a major problem?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why in the hell did they allow the crowd to get that large? Were they just not paying attention, or did they fill like shoulder-to-shoulder was a good idea?

omg.kittens said:
Why in the hell did they allow the crowd to get that large? Were they just not paying attention, or did they fill like shoulder-to-shoulder was a good idea?
They were too busy counting the money.

alba

Little is the new Big
TimmiT said:
Wow, I already thought it was more busy than last year on Thursday.

Tell me about it, I went yesterday and it was packed, BF3 line was the biggest thing I have ever seen in my life, lol.

AAK

-PXG- said:
E3 was dreadful this year. There was hardly anything interesting or exciting. Gamescom came out of nowhere this year and exceeded expectations. That's all I mean.

Not meeting your expectations != Gamescom is bigger than E3

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It really is amazing how Gamescom has become bigger than E3 and TGS in a span of a few years. At least Sony, EA, and MS have woken up to that.

MS still doesn't give a shit about GC.

The_Monk

The same happened last year, according to a friend of mine. I never went but I guess that more and more people try to get in there each year.

spirity

AAK said:
Not meeting your expectations != Gamescom is bigger than E3

You mean a misalignment of expectation, surely.

Anyway, grats Gamescom, hope you go from strength to strength.. safety first next year though please?

snap0212 said:
Just because you've heard of one incident (probably Love Parade) doesn't mean that Germany has a "long history" of these. Get your facts straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede#List_of_notable_human_stampedes

Yes, I'd actually say safety standards are pretty high around here. The Love Parade incident was caused by individual mistakes rather than flawed safety measures or loose regulations and probably raised awareness even more.

Honestly, if there is one thing Germans are good at, it's bureaucracy and regulations.

The_Monk said:
The same happened last year, according to a friend of mine. I never went but I guess that more and more people try to get in there each year.

Yes, it gets more and more crowded every year. I am glad I decided to content myself with the press/trade visitor day this year.

luffeN

GC is only cool now if you are a member of the press. Personal press day not open to the public! And in Leipzig they had personal press routes between the halls, very nice :D

desu

Called this when they stole GC from Leipzig. It was clear that they wouldnt expand the space too much, but at the same time they are doing it at a place where easily 2-3x of people are able to attend it. Congrats at least you can chant new records and count your money all day.

This just proofs why I swore to never attend it at Cologne on a non press day because it was already full in Leipzig but I knew Cologne would be hell.

eXistor

Phonomezer said:
Who the fuck lets that many people in anyway? The heat... the smell... ugh.
The last 2 years I've been (going again tomorrow...not looking forward to it at all now) it's been very well air conditioned. No rancid nerd smell and it was actually quite pleasant inside.

the overwhelming stink of sweat and Cheetos must be the culprit of all the fainting. just looking at those photos makes me uncomfortable, i can't imagine willingly getting in the thick of that crowd.

Nix

Banned
Must've been trying to get over to Sony's booth. Dark Soul's demo is on display right? Anyone there play it yet?

froliq

I still don't get the connection with Berlin then. Unless there were plans to move it there instead of Cologne. But of course Leipzig is much closer to Berlin than Cologne.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Cologne > Leipzig because kolsch > gose. If only all arguments could be resolved by comparing German beer styles.

Xater

froliq said:
I still don't get the connection with Berlin then. Unless there were plans to move it there instead of Cologne. But of course Leipzig is much closer to Berlin than Cologne.

It's his personal preference. It makes more sense in Cologne for international press and it is in the state with the highest population. The location is also great. I don't think Berlin ever was on the table.

desu said:
GC (Games Convention) before they stole it, was always in Leipzig until 2009 ...
They stole it? I thought publishers wanted to move (especially EA), because Cologne was bigger and had the better infrastructure.

Kinyou

spons said:
The organisers of the event should be arrested, immediately. Just shows they've learned fuck all from the love parade disaster last year.
This. The video recordings seem just awfully familiar to the love parade incident. At least they aren't pressed through some dark tunnel

Kinyou

FutureZombie said:
Looking at that picture, everyone there is male. Is there a female dominated convention (gaming or otherwise) this popular?
Something Twilight related?

twilight_narrowweb__300x425,0.jpg

Bozzard

Neo Member
I could easily say that today was a disaster. Holy shit i haven't seen that much people in same place.

Here's a picture i took at 1.45

QUKE5.jpg

Xater

Bozzard said:
I could easily say that today was a disaster. Holy shit i haven't seen that much people in same place.

Here's a picture i took at 1.45

http://i.imgur.com/QUKE5.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I see some space in the front! Could not have been that bad. ;)

snap0212

FutureZombie said:
Looking at that picture, everyone there is male. Is there a female dominated convention (gaming or otherwise) this popular?
Isn't there a convention for the Tales of series every year where most of the people (>70%?) are female?

Top Bottom