• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamesindustry.biz] In Europe 44% of Elden Ring Sales Were on PC

ClosBSAS

PC 44%
Playstation combined 40%
Xbox combined 16%

How does it prove anything retroactively all the way back to DS1? I personally think the Souls-series exploded in popularity on PC around DS3.

Edit: I wonder if the percentages on PS consoles would’ve been different had not Horizon FW launched just a week before. I had to make a decision and got Elden Ring first but I think Elden Ring would’ve been bigger if not for Horizon FW launching (and vice versa of course). GT7 might have had some impact as well, but probably to a much smaller extent.
it did, but in the long run all of them have outsold console sales. all of them. this just proves the pc audience is ready for bloodborne and demons souls, its more hardcore than the console one and thats a fucking fact.

Guilty_AI

At present ps5 and the new Xbox series x have been extremely hard to find/pick up.

Once there are more consoles out there, i would think those numbers will change dramatically.
The shortages also apply to GPUs tho.
Accompanying steam hardware survey, next-gen GPU usage has been growing at similar rate to the sales of PS5s. When you include middle range hardware closer to a Series S the number also goes up dramatically, which can explain why it sold more on PC than on ps5, and will probably continue to do so.

sircaw

Banned
The shortages also apply to GPUs tho.
Accompanying steam hardware survey, next-gen GPU usage has been growing at similar rate to the sales of PS5s. When you include middle range hardware closer to a Series S the number also goes up dramatically, which can explain why it sold more on PC than on ps5, and will probably continue to do so.
That's true, there is no denying the game has sold well on PC, and rightfully so, it's a fantastic game.

It's just not the gotcha moment some of the fanatics are trying to make out.

slade

LMAO, so now it turns into console VS PC entirely?

Let's move the goal posts. I admit defeat.

Ok, PC was the largest single platform but was outsold if you combine PS and Xbox, which is something thats never been done before.

In the future lets make sure we add PC and Xbox together VS PS sales when comparing sales numbers, as you know PC and Xbox is so strongly linked thanks to Microsoft.

How about we make it PS consoles vs HP and Acer PC's. Where did Elden Ring sell more.

Your thread is stupid and you should be ashamed of your words and your deeds.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's just not the gotcha moment some of the fanatics are trying to make out.
It does demonstrate what many have said (especially when talking about possible Bloodborne pc ports) that Souls games are a huge deal on PC. Some users here would still dismiss those claims.

sircaw

Banned
It does demonstrate what many have said (especially when talking about possible Bloodborne pc ports) that Souls games are a huge deal on PC. Some users here would still dismiss those claims.
Then they should take it up with those people who made said claims.

simples. 👍

Last edited:

reksveks

HC5z4Hi.png
French sales of consoles (8th and 9th gen)

skit_data

it did, but in the long run all of them have outsold console sales. all of them. this just proves the pc audience is ready for bloodborne and demons souls, its more hardcore than the console one and thats a fucking fact.
I’d love to see a Bloodborne PC release, as I think that’s the best possibility that we will see a PS5 version. Demon’s Souls will probably get a PC release at some point since it was in the Nvidia leaks.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sales on PlayStation got split between Elden Ring and Horizon, and it still sold about the same. These victory laps are silly with platform wars, at least sports have clear cut scores.
Not really. The more people getting the definitive version with less limitations, the better.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ok, we should not add PS4 to PS5 let alone both of them to Xbox One/S/X and XSX|S… luckily you are not doing that with the PC at all, we all know there is a single place anyone can buy PC games on and PC is actually a single box… not a case of double standards at all… not trying to be offensive, sorry if I am but c’mon…
The criteria you should use here is simple. Can the same copy of the game be used across the different boxes? If yes, those boxes can be treated as the same platform on that instance, if not, they can't.
My steam's Elden Ring can be used across all pc boxes, as such all PCs are the same platform. Same can be said for ps4+ps5 and XSX+XSS+XOne. But you cant play your XSX copy on a PS5, thus you can't put them together.

YuLY

PC gaming is the sensation right now. Open platform, fully compatible, better controls, mods, better prices/sales, its just the best.

I remember the dark age of '06 - '08 , GabeN really saved PC gaming with Steam.

Sadly we already have desperate Sony fanbois "uuh yea but PS is only 4% behind! we close also i swear" . Yea bitches, u second, now go play some horizon with alloy and her bloated face, we're busy modding ER.

ethomaz

Banned
And this is a weird one, where is Xbox One?:
It is included.
Seems like they are the same SKU for Dying Light…. there are only one version (that what I was thought in another thread).
Some games had different SKUs.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.
You are half right.
PC was the best selling platform (ignoring PC have different platforms).

But you failed to realize consoles are still selling the biggest chunk.

Plus the posted data incomplete lacking several country physical sales which is all consoles.

Last edited:

Sygma

Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.

PC gaming is getting bigger and bigger and we can see how it is impossible for the platform holders to ignore it. Hopefully we see more effort being put into PC versions of games and extra features such as Ultra Wide support.

shocking that after a decade of From games historically not running that well on consoles, customers prefer the pc version to brute force issues instead of paying more for an inferior version.

on the other way around, have a look at the state of Fifa on pc vs consoles

Besides this just shows Europe

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
what if there are more PCs though? :pie_thinking:

Steam keeps on breaking records. PC gaming is bigger than it's ever been. So i don't get your argument.
I don’t actually believes the gaming PC users are bigger than console users… in fact Steam has lower active base than PlayStation for example.

Now PC general users is in billions but most don’t don’t play games or ever installed one outside the bundles Solitarie.

winjer

Gold Member
You are half right.
PC was the best selling platform (ignoring PC have different platforms).

But you failed to realize consoles are still selling the biggest chunk.

Plus the posted data incomplete lacking several country physical sales which PC is all consoles.

We could also argue that the Microsoft platforms is where the game sold the most. With 60% sales.

ethomaz

Banned
We could also argue that the Microsoft platforms is where the game sold the most. With 60% sales.
60% are on Windows Store?

I mean MS doesn’t get a cent from Steam, GoG, etc… they only get revenue from Windows Store version on PC.

So Xbox + Windows Store are indeed MS gaming platforms.

Last edited:

Belthazar

I mean MS doesn’t get a cent from Steam, GoG, etc… they only get revenue from Windows Store version on PC.

The game isn't even available on the Windows Store, as it's basically a non-factor in PC gaming.

reksveks

I don’t actually believes the gaming PC users are bigger than console users… in fact Steam has lower active base than PlayStation for example.

Now PC general users is in billions but most don’t don’t play games or ever installed one outside the bundles Solitarie.
Not 100% sure that's true anymore.

Steam MAU is 132m
PS MAU is 110m.

How many of that 132m can run Elden Ring I don't know.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

You could if PC was a MS platform, but it isn't, it's an open platform. If you're a big fanboy you'll certainly try and convince us otherwise, but before you start please remember to address how MS is getting a cut from a steam sale.

Last edited:

NickFire

Why is it that places like Gamesindustry like to split PS but they won't extend the courtesy to Xbox?
How do we know they get that data? MS is notoriously secret about numbers.

As for the splits overall, I cant say it’s entirely shocking. There just aren’t that many new gen consoles out there yet.

JackSparr0w

Banned

Steam alone has 22m more active users than PSN and some of the most popular PC games such as league of legends, valorant, warzone, world of warcraft, escape from tarkov, fortnite etc. are not even available on steam.

There is really no comparison PC gaming is on it's own league in terms of popularity and you can see that everywhere youtube, twitchtv and esports all dominated by PC gaming.

Belthazar

How so? Hardware is different but that makes no difference to a steam sale. Linux? That's maybe one percent of pc's. If that.

PC is home to quite a few ecosystems, with Steam, GOG, Epic, Windows Stores, etc. About Linux, that ratio of players using it to access Steam can increase substantially if the Deck picks up.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
PC is home to quite a few ecosystems, with Steam, GOG, Epic, Windows Stores, etc. About Linux, that ratio of players using it to access Steam can increase substantially if the Deck picks up.
That's true but they are all still PC. PC is an open platform. Consoles are not. Should steam sales be counted separately from GOG, epic etc.? I've never heard that argument.

Belthazar

Why is it that places like Gamesindustry like to split PS but they won't extend the courtesy to Xbox?

Xbox only has a single SKU for most games and sales data is released as such. And it's probably not worth investigating the exact ratio of players in each generation due to the number being so small.

ethomaz

Banned
How so? Hardware is different but that makes no difference to a steam sale. Linux? That's maybe one percent of pc's. If that.
I think he means if you buy a game on Steam you need Steam to play it.

You can’t play a Steam game on Windows Store or EGS for example.

The Steam is the platform like Windows Store, GoG, EGS, etc… they are not compatible with each other.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Pc is now the dominant platform for souls games, even with demon souls releasing exclusively on ps5. Very interesting!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Xbox only has a single SKU for most games and sales data is released as such. And it's probably not worth investigating the exact ratio of players in each generation due to the number being so small.

They could easily have said total numbers and then the splits in the article. It is what it is, I know where these people are coming from.

winjer

Gold Member
You could if PC was a MS platform, but it isn't, it's an open platform. If you're a big fanboy you'll certainly try and convince us otherwise, but before you start please remember to address how MS is getting a cut from a steam sale.

So Xbox + Windows Store are indeed MS gaming platforms.

ith pc? They don't make a dime of Elden RIng.

That was just an example to show how easy it is to manipulate how we perceive data. Which was what ethomas was doing when he said all consoles sold more than PC.
Xbox and PS are both consoles, but they are different platforms. From different companies, different OS, different APIs, different controllers, etc.
MS owns Windows and Xbox. And they both use similar OS and APIs. So one could make an argument they could be grouped together.

Or, we could just consider these platforms as the separate entities that they truly are.

Sentenza

The bolded claim is almost hilariously wrong.

And generally speaking the PC gaming market has been larger than any individual console market for a while.
The main difference is that PC gaming isn't generally led by one or two seasonal blockbusters, but fragmented in thousands of of specific niches (MMOs, 4X/grand strategy, sims, action games, shooters, etc, etc) and even more games that keep selling concurrently.

Last edited:

reksveks

They could easily have said total numbers and then the splits in the article. It is what it is, I know where these people are coming from.
Total numbers is what the people who buy into the gsd/GFK pay for. They still have restrictions on what they can share to protect the commercial model of gfk/GSD, you do get that right?

Belthazar

Are they not still all on PC though? That's what we are talking about. TOTAL sales on PC. Does Sony not include games sold at Walmart when talking about sales?

That's not the same, that would be like Steam not counting Steam keys sold through other retailers.

Top Bottom