• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamesindustry.biz] In Europe 44% of Elden Ring Sales Were on PC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.

PC gaming is getting bigger and bigger and we can see how it is impossible for the platform holders to ignore it. Hopefully we see more effort being put into PC versions of games and extra features such as Ultra Wide support.

Last edited:

skit_data

PC 44%
Playstation combined 40%
Xbox combined 16%

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.
How does it prove anything retroactively all the way back to DS1? I personally think the Souls-series exploded in popularity on PC around DS3.

Edit: I wonder if the percentages on PS consoles would’ve been different had not Horizon FW launched just a week before. I had to make a decision and got Elden Ring first but I think Elden Ring would’ve been bigger if not for Horizon FW launching (and vice versa of course). GT7 might have had some impact as well, but probably to a much smaller extent.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
40 percent for playstation family
BleakObedientBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My intention was just to echo what I had previously predicted. There were a lot of people saying it will have sold best on playstation and I said I'd put money that it has sold on more PC. I was just happy to be right for once lol.

4 percent difference isnt much, but it shows that PC is extremely strong for the franchise and there is no way the platform can be ignored going forward.

So say, If Sony bought them, there would still be a huge chance that they would be PC day one or they would literally be cutting out the largest user base for the game.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

My intention was just to echo what I had previously predicted. There were a lot of people saying it will have sold best on playstation and I said I'd put money that it has sold on more PC. I was just happy to be right for once lol.

4 percent difference isnt much, but it shows that PC is extremely strong for the franchise and there is no way the platform can be ignored going forward.

So say, If Sony bought them, there would still be a huge chance that they would be PC day one or they would literally be cutting out the largest user base for the game.
Did they say in Europe? Japan? UK? US? World wide?
There's some interesting stuff in that article.
The second placed game of the month was Horizon Forbidden West. Forbidden West is the biggest PS5 launch outside of the Call of Duty franchise. 59% of Horizon's sales were on PS5, with the remainder coming on PS4 -- which just goes to highlight why Sony is continuing to release new games on its previous machine.
Impressive.

And this is a weird one, where is Xbox One?:
At No.5 in the charts is Dying Light 2: Stay Human. The new zombie game from Techland sold best on PS5, which accounted for 44% of sales, followed by PS4 (28%), then Xbox Series (16%) and finally PC (12%).

Rykan

Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

PC gaming is getting bigger and bigger and we can see how it is impossible for the platform holders to ignore it. Hopefully we see more effort being put into PC versions of games and extra features such as Ultra Wide support.

What is even a "PC platform game"?

Azurro

Banned

Sales on PlayStation got split between Elden Ring and Horizon, and it still sold about the same. These victory laps are silly with platform wars, at least sports have clear cut scores.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So you made a brag thread based on incomplete data to reply to somebody that said something in a different thread?

What do you mean incomplete data?

I made the thread to report on the news that its strongest platform in Europe, which is Sony's strongest territory is for PC, which is interesting and is quite telling to where the largest userbase is.

Rykan

bad choice of language, I admit. Basically, it leans more towards the PC crowd now in sales and fan base. this can be seen by looking the game up on twitch.
But the data doesn't really support that though I don't think. Aside from the fact that this is Europe only (Which is much more lenient towards PC gaming than other major regions) it doesn't really make sense to say that it "leans more towards PC" because most of the sales were still on consoles. These consoles just happened to have a different manufacturer and that's why they're seperated, but they're both console crowd.

That said, It is surprising that almost half of the sales were on PC considering that ER is pretty expensive on PC and doesn't have the greatest port. I the shoddy reporting on the quality of the port kept me from purchasing it myself.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I made the thread to report on the news that its strongest platform in Europe, which is Sony's strongest territory is for PC, which is interesting and is quite telling to where the largest userbase is.
Probably referring to this.
Physical data includes all games, but only those sold in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.
Physical data is largely missing which would obviously only bolster console game sales further if included.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
But the data doesn't really support that though I don't think. Aside from the fact that this is Europe only (Which is much more lenient towards PC gaming than other major regions) it doesn't really make sense to say that it "leans more towards PC" because most of the sales were still on consoles. These consoles just happened to have a different manufacturer and that's why they're seperated, but they're both console crowd.

That said, It is surprising that almost half of the sales were on PC considering that ER is pretty expensive on PC and doesn't have the greatest port. I the shoddy reporting on the quality of the port kept me from purchasing it myself.

the PC port is fine, the best version I would say if you have a G Sync / Freesync monitor.

kyliethicc

i7D5QoQ.jpg

Come On Wow GIF by Miami HEAT

Western Europe is traditionally console gamer, compared to Eastern Europe that lean more to PC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Probably referring to this.

Physical data is largely missing which would obviously only bolster console game sales further if included.

Is it "largely" missing when those countries are some of the largest markets. But how else do we measure any data. If we can not accept this data we cant accept any of it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

LMAO, so now it turns into console VS PC entirely?

Let's move the goal posts. I admit defeat.

Ok, PC was the largest single platform but was outsold if you combine PS and Xbox, which is something thats never been done before.

In the future lets make sure we add PC and Xbox together VS PS sales when comparing sales numbers, as you know PC and Xbox is so strongly linked thanks to Microsoft.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Ok, PC was the largest single platform but was outsold if you combine PS and Xbox, which is something thats never been done before.

In the future lets make sure we add PC and Xbox together VS PS sales when comparing sales numbers, as you know PC and Xbox is so strongly linked thanks to Microsoft.
Why? MS doesn't get any money from an elden ring sale on steam.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Ok, we should not add PS4 to PS5 let alone both of them to Xbox One/S/X and XSX|S… luckily you are not doing that with the PC at all, we all know there is a single place anyone can buy PC games on and PC is actually a single box… not a case of double standards at all… not trying to be offensive, sorry if I am but c’mon…

Last edited:

reksveks

Did they say in Europe? Japan? UK? US? World wide?
There's some interesting stuff in that article.

Impressive.

And this is a weird one, where is Xbox One?:
Assume its a single sku for xbox in terms of retailers, but could be wrong.

I would love to see the Console HW splits in the EU? might be stuck with VGchartz on that front sadly.

bitbydeath

Is it "largely" missing when those countries are some of the largest markets. But how else do we measure any data. If we can not accept this data we cant accept any of it.
It’s missing roughly half the countries counted under digital. I’d consider that ‘largely missing.’

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They must not have listened to Digital Foundry saying to avoid PC version.

Oh wait, people actually enjoy playing good games.
Digital Foundry can go chase themselves :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yes there some frame drops and slight stutters but the performance issues on PC are over exaggerated. The stormhill area and Tree Sentinel boss are the only 2 areas I noticed any performance issues. So that's like the first few hours of the game. The other 23 hours I've played the game has been running well. No crashes either. I've played games in far worse state than this.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm fine with people seeing this as whatever, I just thought it was interesting and PC is killing it. No denying it.

If this has severely offended anyone then that was not my intention. I was just quite impressed with the percentage split and got excited as it backed up a prediction I had previously made.

reksveks

Questions from me that I will try and find out?

What is the PS:Xbox EU Splits including previous gens
What did Sekiro look like in terms of EU splits?

sircaw

Banned
I'm fine with people seeing this as whatever, I just thought it was interesting and PC is killing it. No denying it.

If this has severely offended anyone then that was not my intention. I was just quite impressed with the percentage split and got excited as it backed up a prediction I had previously made.
Give it a couple of years, when the next dark souls/bloodborne masterpiece is out.

At present ps5 and the new Xbox series x have been extremely hard to find/pick up.

Once there are more consoles out there, i would think those numbers will change dramatically.

kyliethicc

Nobody did any of that. Get a grip.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Give it a couple of years, when the next dark souls/bloodborne masterpiece is out.

At present ps5 and the new Xbox series x have been extremely hard to find/pick up.

Once there are more consoles out there, i would think those numbers will change dramatically.
what if there are more PCs though? :pie_thinking:

Steam keeps on breaking records. PC gaming is bigger than it's ever been. So i don't get your argument.

sircaw

Banned
what if there are more PCs though? :pie_thinking:

Steam keeps on breaking records. PC gaming is bigger than it's ever been. So i don't get your argument.
There are already more pcs than consoles out there?

Can you build a gaming PC that can run Elden ring better than my ps5 that costs £359?

Look At the percentages of the ps5s, it's at 27%, you do realize how difficult it is to find a ps5 yer.

Combine the Ps5 and the Xbox x, (the new consoles vs Pc's.) 44 vs 42.

Now check Ps5 vs ps4, look at the conversion rate. That's like 20 million Ps5s sold vs 100+ million ps4s.

Why is the conversion rate so much higher on Ps5 than ps4.( With that conversion rate in mind, now image if there were another 50 million ps5 and Xbox x's out there)

New generation consoles are like gold dust, there just is no stock and combined they almost beat PC sales. People on the Pc side are going potty over this, geez, haha.

Last edited:

Holammer

The 40% range for PC checks out, FROM enjoyed similar numbers even before Dark Souls 3 came out back in 2015.

Could you imagine Nintendo on Steam? All of Steam's top charts turn into the Famitsu weekly and it's just Mario Kart and Animal Crossing for the rest of our lives.
I would buy a couple of Nintendo games, for the first time in 20 years. I also suspect a lot of people here on GAF would triple dip on BotW once they got to the acceptance stage.

Top Bottom