• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamesindustry.biz] In Europe 44% of Elden Ring Sales Were on PC

Swift_Star

Banned

Exactly what I was saying, PC version is the highest selling platform for this game in Europe and I will put money worldwide.

This proves that the souls series is a PC platform game and has been for pretty much for the entire franchise.

PC gaming is getting bigger and bigger and we can see how it is impossible for the platform holders to ignore it. Hopefully we see more effort being put into PC versions of games and extra features such as Ultra Wide support.

Ps is 40%.
This proves it’s a pc and ps game. The genre was created on PlayStation.

Belthazar

They could easily have said total numbers and then the splits in the article. It is what it is, I know where these people are coming from.

They couldn't, as there's no data. An Xbox copy sold is an Xbox copy sold, there's no differentiation between Xbox One and Xbox Series until the buyer installs the game.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
That's not the same, that would be like Steam not counting Steam keys sold through other retailers.
Okay? Are we still not talking about total sales? Why should it matter where the game is sold on an open platform? You still need to be on PC regardless of where you buy it on your pc.

FrankWza

Ps is 40%.
Insane number. Even with PS5 shortages and HFW and GT7 sandwiching the release date the games all received plenty of support. Also, probably average dollar amount per copy is higher on PS with no keys available on PS.

kingfey

Banned
Insane number. Even with PS5 shortages and HFW and GT7 sandwiching the release date the games all received plenty of support. Also, probably average dollar amount per copy is higher on PS with no keys available on PS.
Its not insane. Especially, when you have 10m PS users in Japan, where the game is popular.
The ps4 still exist.

This is to be expected for PS. The game would have been a big hit on Nintendo, if it was released on that platform.

Belthazar

Nope. PS has more hardwares than xbox, which explains the 40%, plus Japan market. The 2:1 split still plays a role.

Pc on other hand is genuine.

Let's not get a head if ourself.

Steam has way more users than playstation tho, if anything Steam has the worst attach ratio out of the three for this game if you wanna go into install base

kingfey

Banned
Steam has way more users than playstation tho, if anything Steam has the worst attach ratio out of the three for this game if you wanna go into install base
No, steam is different, because of platform limitations.
The game's minimum requirements blocks alot of Steam users.
For example, me with my rx 570 can't play the game, while my x1s and ps4 can play the game.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think it's common knowledge at this point that PC gamers are more accepting of games that require a little more finesse to play and are not just people mashing a grapple hook button for hours on end and then rating it the height of gaming, I think its important to note that this is Europe, as America has a definite love of "generic shooter" that will never unstick just like the UK will never shake its "FIFA" obsession.

While you can see common trends between PC and Console you can only find a real playerbase for strategy, tactical shooters and sim on PC. Titles that effectively require a large time investment to even begin enjoying. Souls like games also tap into this I suspect, hence the high popularity.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think it's common knowledge at this point that PC gamers are more accepting of games that require a little more finesse to play and are not just people mashing a grapple hook button for hours on end and then rating it GOTY despite being rushed and unfinished GaaS title, like the console base.

While you can see common trends between PC and Console you can only find a real playerbase for strategy, tactical shooters and sim on PC. Titles that effectively require a large time investment to even begin enjoying. Souls like games also tap into this I suspect, hence the high popularity.

Except it’s extremely hard if not outright impossible to cheat on console, while on Pc all the fomo kids playing Elden Ring will just slap a trainer on it or some mod.

winjer

Gold Member
What really matters are the stores/ecosystems. How much Steam, how much PSN, how much Xbox store etc

Exactly. That's why lumping Xbox and Ps together, just because they are consoles, is stupid.

But on PC, chances are that the vast majority were sold on Steam.

I'm sure the big people at PS are looking at these numbers are making sure all their future 'exclusives' will end up on PC. They make most of their money from software sales and there is no way they'll leave the PC crowd untapped. I'm predicting EVERY playstation game in the future will end up on PC at some point.

FrankWza

Except it’s extremely hard if not outright impossible to cheat on console, while on Pc all the fomo kids playing Elden Ring will just slap a trainer on it or some mod.
I wonder what the completion rate difference is on these games from the closed systems compared to pc. I would say it’s probably easier to kill a dragon with a lightsaber than a regular sword.

Belthazar

No, steam is different, because of platform limitations.
The game's minimum requirements blocks alot of Steam users.
For example, me with my rtx 570 can't play the game, while my x1s and ps4 can play the game.

Do you mean the Rx 570?

It apparently runs the game better than the PS4 and the Xbox one so...

Honey Bunny

I'm sure the big people at PS are looking at these numbers are making sure all their future 'exclusives' will end up on PC. They make most of their money from software sales and there is no way they'll leave the PC crowd untapped. I'm predicting EVERY playstation game in the future will end up on PC at some point.
On the contrary, these numbers make PC as a platform look like a threat to PS.

kingfey

Banned
I wonder what the completion rate difference is on these games from the closed systems compared to pc. I would say it’s probably easier to kill a dragon with a lightsaber than a regular sword.
Its the same. Usually, weapons are tied to the stats they have in the game system.
If the stats is higher on light Saber, than that could be considered a cheating, as that is abusing the systems data to gain advantage.

Sentenza

That's not the same, that would be like Steam not counting Steam keys sold through other retailers.
Well, incidentally they are NOT counted in the Steam sales chart (local and global top sellers, etc).
They are counted amount the concurrent users playing the game, though.

Belthazar

The minimum requirements are a lie then.
Guess I will need to download it on my pc then.
It's yet another case of developers overshooting the minimum requirements to avoid lawsuits. It can run on pretty modest hardware (the stutters are hell, but they are also present on high end hardware)

STARSBarry

Gold Member

*shrugs*

Unsure if that number would manage to make up a full 4% of purchases but if it makes you feel better then you can rationalise it how you like. There's a reason cheaters infest "free 2 play" more than any other type of title.

Belthazar

Well, incidentally they are NOT counted in the Steam sales chart (local and global top sellers, etc).
They are counted amount the concurrent users playing the game, though.
I'm talking about sales data available to analysts, which is what the thread is about. Both Walmart's playstation sales and third party steam sales are counted there.

Ivan

bad choice of language, I admit. Basically, it leans more towards the PC crowd now in sales and fan base. this can be seen by looking the game up on twitch.
A game made for controller can't be natural PC first/pc centric game. PC gamers use controllers more than ever (although we had THAT thread xD), but any game that is made for controller first is a true example of a console game. Espeially if it comes from Japan :D.

ckaneo

I was gonna wait and play Elden Ring on my steam deck so I could do just this, but seeing how broken hoarfrost stomp, bleed, mimics, and more were I said fuck it might as wel get it on console before they patch it all out

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bad choice of language, I admit. Basically, it leans more towards the PC crowd now in sales and fan base. this can be seen by looking the game up on twitch.

But 44% is less than 50%. So how is it a PC platform game? Or how does it lean more toward the PC crowd?

Swift_Star

Banned
He wants to be proud of his box.

Its like PC being successful with souls games is bad notion for him.
Have you read the OP? I guess not. Just countering his foolish assessment. And lmao the biggest Xbox fanboy is trying to say something here?

Last edited:

Sentenza

But 44% is less than 50%. So how is it a PC platform game? Or how does it lean more toward the PC crowd?
Not that it really matters in the end, but... It's the single platform with the largest user base. What's so hard to grasp? After a certain point it almost looks like some of you guys are trying to act dense on purpose.

Thirty7ven

Banned
*shrugs*

Unsure if that number would manage to make up a full 4% of purchases but if it makes you feel better then you can rationalise it how you like. There's a reason cheaters infest "free 2 play" more than any other type of title.

Rationalize what? That Elden Ring is a mainstream hit with more players on consoles, and not an indication of your absurd claim that it somehow fits the market that plays Farming Simulator on PC?

It's much harder to cheat in mulitplayer games, so I don't get your whole "f2p" angle either.

ClosBSAS

They need to be looking at fucking BB, i mean...its gonna sell a million at least on PC so will Demons Souls, but fuckers at sony are blind as shit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Rationalize what? That Elden Ring is a mainstream hit with more players on consoles, and not an indication of your absurd claim that it somehow fits the market that plays Farming Simulator on PC?

It's much harder to cheat in mulitplayer games, so I don't get your whole "f2p" angle either.

Man getting mighty aggressive there might want to take a step back and enjoy some generic shooter where you mash a grapple hook button or something, itl calm you down.

kingfey

Banned
Have you read the OP? I guess not. Just countering his foolish assessment. And lmao the biggest Xbox fanboy is trying to say something here?
How does that change his point? Dark Souls have been successful on PC, which made ER successful on pc. His point stands, especially, when PS had demons souls and bloodborne, yet couldn't outsell PC with ER, when they had clear advantages due to hardware minimum requirements on pc.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Man getting mighty aggressive there might want to take a step back and enjoy some generic shooter where you mash a grapple hook button or something, itl calm you down.

That's all you got cooking in that master brain of yours? Generic shooter with a grapple hook sounds like a PC game to me.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Some people here are getting seriously too close to their console, it's honestly worrying. You know it's just a plastic box, right? The fact it sold more on PC won't change your life.

Anyway, very happy for the PC version.

Yes? The money is going to completely different pockets
This is one of the worst arguments I have ever seen. Not counting sales from a different store.... like you are seriously saying that? That's not a joke you are sure?

Lognor

Banned
Ps is 40%.
But PC has taken over as THE place to play Souls games. From started it on Playstation, but PC gamers have really flocked to these games since. And what's really impressive is that the PC is dominating even though the last two Souls games were exclusive to Playstation!

Airbus Jr

Banned
But PC has taken over as THE place to play Souls games. From started it on Playstation, but PC gamers have really flocked to these games since. And what's really impressive is that the PC is dominating even though the last two Souls games were exclusive to Playstation!
Console shortage happens

Also gran turismo 7 and hfw as competition on ps

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
How does that change his point? Dark Souls have been successful on PC, which made ER successful on pc. His point stands, especially, when PS had demons souls and bloodborne, yet couldn't outsell PC with ER, when they had clear advantages due to hardware minimum requirements on pc.
It changes because it's not a PC leaning game. lol

Top Bottom