• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamesindustry.biz] In Europe 44% of Elden Ring Sales Were on PC

I'm not too sure about this part, it was pretty much a big IP for Playstation from the start up. I think it changes around Dark Souls 2 or 3.

Disclaimer: I'm a ER PC owner but I played Demon's Souls on PS, DS1 and 2 on Xbox, never played DS3. Tried Bloodborne on PS4, can't stand the gfx, heresy I know.
DS 1 and 2 sold most on PC, even some user at ERA claimed DS3 sold 60% on PC.

Bryank75

Banned
Europe is Playstation land.... and that's bullshit. Nobody. Not ONE. SINGLE. PERSON. skipped Elden Ring for either of those two PS games.

Also, how many of those PS4 copies were people with PS5's wanting to play the last gen version on their next gen console because it performed acceptably? Not to mention, how many of those PS sales... were converted from PC because of issues the PC version had?

I suspect in other markets PC will also outsell PS even further, regarding Elden Ring..

I think Elden Ring is an excellent game but people may be apprehensive about difficulty or just may be more interested in racing games or the less traditional sci-fi world of Horizon.
I see many people on FB that got Horizon and not ER, I can't deduce numbers from that.... but there definitely are cases where people bought Horizon and not ER or GT and not ER.

Wouldn't it be shortsighted to think there are not many of these people?

I didn't have to choose, I got all of them because I knew I'd love all of them but there are many different tastes out there.

GT for example is a massive thing in Europe, huge history there.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So 56% console sales? And this proves that "Souls is a PC series" how, exactly?

Also funny how PS4 and PS5 are split but Xbox isn't. I get why, but yeah, PlayStation at 40% then, very close to PC. Xbox not doing too hot over here.

Europe is Playstation land.... and that's bullshit. Nobody. Not ONE. SINGLE. PERSON. skipped Elden Ring for either of those two PS games.

Also, how many of those PS4 copies were people with PS5's wanting to play the last gen version on their next gen console because it performed acceptably? Not to mention, how many of those PS sales... were converted from PC because of issues the PC version had?

I suspect in other markets PC will also outsell PS even further, regarding Elden Ring..

You realize GT7 has been UK #1 seller for two weeks already, elden ring is in 3rd so yeah… I think a lot of people did. Horizon also sold more on playstation then Elden Ring so I think thats also very possible that 4% of theres people held off on buying 3 games within the span of 2 weeks.

Even for someone like me who pretty much buys every big game even I was feeling apprehensive about buying so many games at once. Thats not even counting the other stuff like Sifu and Olli Olli world i bought earlier

Just those three games alone are 200 dollars after tax

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
PS people need to chill, no one is coming after your box.

PC people need to be thankful that consoles take the brunt of the BS.

We should all be thankful. Elden Ring is a fantastic game we can all enjoy. Unlike previous games that defined a time, this one is available to all.

Fredrik

No. Also, who would buy a $60 game and not play it? If you're not going to be playing it, you would wait for a sale.

However, those numbers don't include people with private profiles, like myself. However I'm in the US.
In the end I’m just questioning what these numbers actually show. But okay then the real number is even higher, lots of people have private profiles. And buying games without playing… it happens.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

game_Charts_2022-02_PCKonsole_DE.jpg

More supply entered the UK and both GT7 and HFW held on pretty well the following week.

Spain Top 10

1. Leyendas Pokémon: Arceus (Nintendo Switch)
  2. Elden Ring (PS5)
  3. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
  4. Horizon Forbidden West (PS4)
  5. Elden Ring (PS4)
  6. Elden Ring (Xbox Series)
  7. The Last of Us Part II (PS4)
  8. FIFA 22 (PS4)
  9. Elden Ring (PC)
  10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo Switch)

People are no doubt picking Horizon Forbidden West over Elden Ring on PlayStation platforms.

You realize GT7 has been UK #1 seller for two weeks already, elden ring is in 3rd so yeah… I think a lot of people did. Horizon also sold more on playstation then Elden Ring so I think thats also very possible that 4% of theres people held off on buying 3 games within the span of 2 weeks.

Even for someone like me who pretty much buys every big game even I was feeling apprehensive about buying so many games at once. Thats not even counting the other stuff like Sifu and Olli Olli world i bought earlier

Just those three games alone are 200 dollars after tax
You realize that Just because GT7 reaches number 1, doesn't mean that they didn't also buy Elden Ring before, right?

You also realize that there are racing fans who had no intention of buying Elden Ring, right? And that my point was that people who were going to buy Elden Ring... didn't NOT buy the game because of GT or Horizon..

Horizon also tracked for half a month, while Elden Ring tracked for just 2 days...

I agree. Well, except, a TON of people did that. Horizon and Gran Turismo are hugely popular franchises.

Elden Ring is the GOAT IMO, but let's not be delusional.
Nobody said they weren't. They have their own fan bases too of course..

My point was that people who were going to buy Elden Ring... didn't suddenly not buy it because of Horizon or GT.

That's not the same thing as saying there aren't more people who are interested in buying Horizon or GT.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Shocked how little the total percentage of sales are for the Xbox. PS versions sold 2.5x more units than the Xbox version, even with the release of Horizon 2 and GT7, and the extreme shortages of PS5.

One observation is that PS5 seams to always be the dominant version of the 2 Sony consoles which indicates that the PS4 user base is dormant. It would also suggest that the percentages of sales would increase once more ps5s are on the shelves once Sony produces more of them. Still, impressed by the PC sales.

ahhh, Just on schedule. Like always.

its always sunny in philadelphia GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PS people need to chill, no one is coming after your box.

PC people need to be thankful that consoles take the brunt of the BS.

We should all be thankful. Elden Ring is a fantastic game we can all enjoy. Unlike previous games that defined a time, this one is available to all.
Seriously. The amount of PC people clamoring to their boxes because they spent thousands on them is crazy.
Just go and adjust your stupid fov and settings on a pc, pc people.
Now they are making a fuss about console versions not having ton of settings and it will ruin console gaming.

And it's also pretty funny claiming pc superiority for dark souls games.... a games almost exclusively designed with controller in mind :p
DOn't get me wrong - I also got all of them on pc. 4k60 is hard to beat in Dark Souls 3. I just think the ps4 version was a bit poorly performing.
Elden Ring I got on ps5 but pc version is good too

And it's also pretty funny claiming pc superiority for dark souls games.... a games almost exclusively designed with controller in mind :p
What sort of reasoning is that? Even if you only used the choice of input device to determine which platform is superior (which is utterly stupid to begin with), wouldn't PC still come out on top simply because it lets you use controllers from either console?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What sort of reasoning is that? Even if you only used the choice of input device to determine which platform is superior (which is utterly stupid to begin with), wouldn't PC still come out on top simply because it lets you use controllers from either console?
Yes, no problem with that.
Except it's just funny how pc people hate console gaming and normally claim mouse and keyboard superiority and controller disgust... but when it suits their narrative, controller is great

Yes, no problem with that.
Except it's just funny how pc people hate console gaming and normally claim mouse and keyboard superiority and controller disgust... but when it suits their narrative, controller is great
Saying mouse and keyboard is superior in games where it gives an obvious advantage and advocating for other input methods in games where that isn't the case doesn't really strike me as contradictory or hypocritical. It actually seems like a pretty reasonable position to take. I've never seen anyone argue that games like Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, Forza or Street Fighter or whatever are best played with a mouse, in any case.

Azurro

Banned

You know, I find that we gaffers can spend so long in this niche along with other hardcore gamers that people lose perspective and confuse personal preferences with actual market trends. FIFA and Madden sell more than most of the yearly darlings here for example.

Just because Elden Ring is goty material for us, doesn't deny that a shitload of other people bought Horizon instead, or were waiting for Gran Turismo.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Game.de bases their sales charts on physical copies only. Elden Ring only got a physical release on consoles, so if 44% of sales were on PC that would mean over half of the overall sales weren't even being considered when they came up with this ranking.
I know it's physical sales only. The fact still remains that people picked HFW over Elden Ring.

FrankWza

And it's like I've said several times already. From is not developing an exclusive game ever again. Sony folks thought otherwise. This should prove it. From's biggest fanbase is on PC. From games are multi platform going forward. No hope of Bloodbourne 2 or Demon Souls 2 by From. It's a good thing! I want more like Dark Souls and Elden Ring! For all to experience!
PC is home to Souls games now. Deal with it. We PC gamers like our Souls games! I bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. Would have never done that if it was released on PC. And now I never need to worry about From making a Souls game exclusively for PS ever again. Feels good!
So why did you post over and over celebrating CoD going exclusive to xbox?
Animated GIF

Swift_Star

Banned
PC is home to Souls games now. Deal with it. We PC gamers like our Souls games! I bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. Would have never done that if it was released on PC. And now I never need to worry about From making a Souls game exclusively for PS ever again. Feels good!
All platforms are home to souls games, it’s a multiplat, not a pc exclusive lmao.
Bloodborne 2 might still happen and be exclusive if Sony pays FS for it. You’re way off the mark here bud.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don't think you understand the fact we are talking about trends. The argument isn't about what the % is, its how that % is changing. You might rightfully argue the causes behind the trends but that doesn't change the fact that Marketshare is currently trending very slowly towards xbox. I don't know if it suddenly reverses or stops once we get out of ps5's being constrained.

FR ratios (Sony to Xbox)
2013- 1.9:1
2014- 3:1
2015- 3.52:1
2016- 3.42:1
2017- 3.63:1
2018- 4.05:1
2019- 3.25:1
2020- 2.8:1
2021- 3.15:1

First 2 years of Xbox One was pretty good, then it fell to shit. You could argue that Xbox Series will have a similar drop-off if you want but it's not trend downwards like it did in the previous gen.

Last edited:

Stuart360

People war over the most stupid stuff on here. Who cares which platform sold the most copies?. Most of us love the game right?, most of us want the game to be successful right?, and it is so whats the fucking problem?.

Midn1ght

It's just funny how pc people hate console gaming and normally claim mouse and keyboard superiority and controller disgust.

It's in your head. You're letting a loud minority of trolls influence your perception of a community.

Which is funny because on your previous post, you're the one openly voicing your own disgust for some aspect of that community.

Just go and adjust your stupid fov and settings on a pc, pc people.

Mabdia

Well... it might start a war here. But it is unintentional.

But some can think what will happen if Sony start to bring games in the same day to PC and PS5? There is a possibility that the PC's version might outsell PS5's.

That's why to me the push that Sony is doing to bring theirs games to PC might hurt them in the long term.

Lognor

Banned
All platforms are home to souls games, it’s a multiplat, not a pc exclusive lmao.
Bloodborne 2 might still happen and be exclusive if Sony pays FS for it. You’re way off the mark here bud.
Doubt it. You don't think Sony has tried to pony up for a Bloodborne 2 after its success and the success of Dark Souls 3 and most recently the success of Demons Souls? Of course Sony wants From to make Bloodborne 2. From just isn't returning Sony's calls. It would take a lot of money to secure an exclusive from From now. Maybe if Sony would allow From to release day and date on PC they would go for it. But you KNOW Sony isn't going to allow Boodborne 2 to release day one on PC. The PC version would outsell the PS5 version and Sony would flip their shit.

Top Bottom