• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm new to Souls games, only a couple hours played between a few of them before this, so I had felt a little overwhelmed by everything. I just watched a 8min tutorial on Astrologer, started over, and after only 30min of gameplay I'm so much better off than 5hrs of just wandering previously. I'm already riding around on horseback slaying groups of enemies with a pack of spirit wolves backing me up and 4 magic flasks. I was such a bitch before, but I didn't know any better.

Last edited:
My mini-review after pretty a dozen or so hours.

Souls games and their clones were never really my thing. Dark Souls eventually bored me, never bothered with the sequels, The Surge's sci-fi spin kept me entertained enough but I kinda had enough by the end, never bothered with the sequel. Never tried Sekiro or Bloodborne, from what I saw they were more of what I disliked about Dark Souls. Elden Ring is a somewhat mixed bag for me, despite my fascination for it and the fact I pretty much spent the whole of Sunday playing it.

First off, the open world is fascinating. Incredible enemy variety, secrets everywhere, new gameplay ideas at every corner, fun hidden collectibles, you name it. The game's combat mixes fantastically well with these open areas, as you can combine stealth, acrobatic kills, horseback escapes or circling around and more. I am still rocking more or less the starting weapons (sword and shield), though I upgraded the former a lot to keep up with the challenges. I'm playing it much like how I typically do open world games: find where's the next big story moment, clear everything secondary in said region, then finally move on with the story which, by now, should probably be fairly easy.

So that means that I completed the starting region pretty much and the one South, I have like 2 things I didn't necessarily finish that I'll come back to eventually. I'm now clearing the first castle and... I think this is the point I'm least enjoying in the game so far. Nevermind the difficulty spike, one I did prepare for with the wolf spirit summons getting leveled up, good gear and being level 30+ by now, this part has tons of what I eventually gave up on Souls for. Tight corridors, small ledges, tons of high damage enemies that aren't very fun to fight as there's no room to move or to pull cool stuff like the jump lunges, etc..

I just don't think the game's core gameplay is quite good enough for this sort of thing now. The AI is pretty bad (you can still cheese them behind doors and such), the platforming is pretty janky and yet there's a lot of it, the maze-like dark environments offer none of the excitement of the open areas for me, and with checkpoints so sparse it's more an exercise in attrition than actual combat skills. It also doesn't help that the game seems to start enjoying placing traps, exploding barrels, enemies hiding behind corners, etc. too, further slowing down a part that is already feeling painfully slow and annoying.

As for the technical aspect, the game is fine I guess. It doesn't quite compete with the bests, and it's far away even from Ubisoft's own open worlds (Valhalla looks miles better, for example). Elden Ring does make up for it with some fantastical landscapes and brilliant monster design. I can notice the unstable framerate and it usually annoys me, but I've found it surprisingly bearable in gameplay, as I don't really notice it during battles. I would like some better colour grading at times and some more consistent hit detection and landings on platforming, but it's fine for the most part in the open world.

So, in short, I enjoy this game quite immensely when it's Elden Ring, and a lot less when it's Dark Souls 4. Not a surprise, given how I'm not a Souls fan, but what did surprise me is the amount of fun I'm having anyway. I can see myself finish just about everything in this game once, but not so much going back to the old games where nearly every area is tighter, there's no horse, there's no jump (I think Sekiro has it?), and there's none of the fascinating open world exploration I so love here. I'm glad I managed to find a cheap code for this online, I surely would have skipped it at full price but it's great to be playing it now when everyone's still discovering what's what.

checkcola

Hmm. I am kind of interested in getting this. Maybe I am buying into the hype. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have never played a Souls game and have just finished off every achievement in another game I had been playing for quite some time.

My concerns is... if the game mechanics are the way you 'get gud' then is it basically becoming a game where you have YouTube opened to find this/do that/craft this/go there/etc. I rarely buy full price games and as many, have a huge backlog, so I am iffy on this.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Do bosses like Margit scale somehow when other players are present? I did beat him but you need to have luck not to make people die 5 seconds in. The attempt I finally killed him had a really good samurai player helping, he died at the end but I managed to finish the boss off.
All bosses have health that scales with the number of friendly players in the game including NPC summons (excluding ash summons).

Kinda gets annoying when someone insists on summoning 2 players instead of going with just one because if they die early the boss has so much extra health.

FunkMiller

Good grief. I sat down today in the blissful air-con away from the heat, determined to progress the story past the second story boss. Then decided just to have another little explore east again first…

Five hours later, I’m still riding around
Dragonbarrow

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Hey guys, anyone know why you randomly start glowing? Almost like a buff but it's gold.

Never mind, it means you're near grace, right?

I think the Erd Tree rains down grace on you for a buff. You can tell it’s happening when gold stuff falls from the sky.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What's going on with the background music in the first area? it sounds like a low-hum alarm horn, was ok early on, but it gets very grating.

zkorejo

I'm a souls game noob but have always admired the art direction. I got Bloodborne on release to get into these games but it was really frustrating and tedious for me and I stopped playing halfway through it.

Now I understand the game is hard. But atleast this time around it seems like I can actually go and do something else, level up and come back later to give a boss a try. Unless I'm wrong and the boss battles scales with player level.

My main gripes were having to repeat the same route, losing blood vials and having to farm it beating same groups of enemies everytime I died. This part really killed the fun for me in BB.

Here it seems like (from what I have read and seen), the game gives you more freedom. Ranged combat/mana is a viable option too.

I am really confused if I am mistaken with my observation that this game is more forgiving overall and gives you a chance/freedom to do other things, level up, and come back to the bosses later. That sounds like something I can deal with.

Last edited:
Finally I got to play for a bit this afternoon. Hoo boy the game looks huge, detailed and intricate. Started out as a wretch so all I have is my trusty dick club in my hand and the rags that cover my loins.

Eventually I procured some clothes and found a couple weapons I can't use because Lv 1 wretches shouldn't use anything but filthy rags and dicks clubs. I walked and walked and found new grace sites, and eventually found a proper boss but he laughed at me and wiped his club dick with my sorry ass. I should level up one of these days.

Finally beat crucible knight, jfc… that guy gave me so many problems. I’ve been returning to him every 10 levels or so and finally did it at lvl 33 lol

Cyberpunkd

All bosses have health that scales with the number of friendly players in the game including NPC summons (excluding ash summons).

Kinda gets annoying when someone insists on summoning 2 players instead of going with just one because if they die early the boss has so much extra health.
Thank you, so the health doesn't scale back when one of the summoned players dies? It looks like it might be better to just summon a single person then.

No, I don't get that either haha.
Just run out of there, go down and avoid enemies - the mine is actually very small. You'll find a site of grace there. You cannot teleport from inside (you are trapped via that chest), but you can from the entrance/outside.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
sx0dn1h02gk81.png

Freeman76

Souls noob here - I leveled up a sword I found pretty early on (Lordsworn Straight Sword) to +4, and while I like it, I'm wondering if I should have saved those smithing stones for a better weapon. I'm also having a hard time figuring out what to level on my Vagabond. Vigor and Endurance seem obvious, but should I do Strength and Dex in equal measure. I typically like weapons I can swing more quickly, so should I just go with more Dex. I'm not worried too much about that knowing I can respec, but I'm hoping smithing stones turn out to be more plentiful and I didn't waste too many too soon.

I use that sword and will level it to max. The moveset is good, and the standard ash that comes with it wrecks shit. I farmed 2 of them so I can try out other ashes without overwriting this one, until I find one I think is superior.

LENCH187

Anyone else not use merchants? Ive bought 1 essential QoL item from one but I will never buy armor or weapons from them. Prefer to get them from drops in the wild.

On the subject of merchants,
I killed the beginner Santa one and got a new gesture.. not killed any others, will try today. You can also use an item later to respawn dead NPCs so doesnt have to be a perma death for em

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good grief. I sat down today in the blissful air-con away from the heat, determined to progress the story past the second story boss. Then decided just to have another little explore east again first…

No kidding, there was a time I was exploring one tiny sub-area, got abducted by a mob and taken away to somewhere completely different that required an hour long escape and boss fight in an epic setting. Last night I was in the place you mentioned, found a crazy jumping puzzle leading to a boss I am definitely not powerful enough to fight yet.

This game is full of that. It's so good. Imagine if BOTW had more to find than just 120 puzzle shrines.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Guys I have a question about this game, I loved Bloodborne and didn't like dark/demon's souls(mostly because Bloodborne can be played more agressively, and great weapons, setting etc...) and hated Sekiro.So is this one more defense/parry based or more oriented toward an agressive play?

Raphael

Maybe it's kind of obvious but I was just exploring the castle a bit more after killing the boss and there's a HUGE area that you can get to if you go to Liftside chamber, as soon as you come out turn right I believe and there's a body with an item and no wall there. You can fall down from there and there's just a massive amount more to explore.

Thought that was pretty cool.
That castle has so many passages.

There is even an underground area with a boss.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Hmm. I am kind of interested in getting this. Maybe I am buying into the hype. I have watched some YouTube vids. I have never played a Souls game and have just finished off every achievement in another game I had been playing for quite some time.

My concerns is... if the game mechanics are the way you 'get gud' then is it basically becoming a game where you have YouTube opened to find this/do that/craft this/go there/etc. I rarely buy full price games and as many, have a huge backlog, so I am iffy on this.
The 'get gud' aspect more comes down to the skill rather than the knowledge. Watching youtube isn't going to make your reaction times any better.

SJRB

Gold Member
Guys I have a question about this game, I loved Bloodborne and didn't like dark/demon's souls(mostly because Bloodborne can be played more agressively, and great weapons, setting etc...) and hated Sekiro.So is this one more defense/parry based or more oriented toward an agressive play?

I'd say both methods are equally viable. It all depends on your playstyle and preference. However, Bloodborne actively rewards aggressive play by giving you back lost health if you attack fast enough, whereas this game doesn't have similar mechanics.

It's definitely nothing like Sekiro's rythm-based parry system though.

Graciaus

Is there anyway to view an items info when you pick it up? There have been plenty of times I pick something up and don't even know what it is then have to track it down. It's my only real complaint with the game.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'd say both methods are equally viable. It all depends on your playstyle and preference. However, Bloodborne actively rewards aggressive play by giving you back lost health if you attack fast enough, whereas this game doesn't have similar mechanics.

It's definitely nothing like Sekiro's rythm-based parry system though.
Oh ...Maybe I'll try it at a friend's house just to see, even Bloodborne took me some time to get into, so I'm not sure if I'll buy and reinburse after the two hours.I may need to try it a bit more before.
In terms of speed is it fast like Sekiro, a bit slower like Bloodborne or a slow drag like the souls (even though dark souls 3 was the faster of them) ?

reksveks

So we know that PS5 DE : PS5 in the uk is ~ 1:4 and XSS:XSX is 1:1 (if not more skewed towards the Series S) and If you assume PS5 to XS is 1.4:1

We get the following percentages

PS5 Disc: 47%
PS5 DE: 12%
XSX: 21% (43.75% of the PS5 disc)
XSS: 21% (175% of the PS5 Digital)

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
It's the same combat gameplay as DS3, plus the jump from Sekiro, not at all like Bloodborne. However you can use magic and summons, and you can explore and go back later, there's tons of optional areas and boss.

bitbydeath

The gameplay is a lot more fluid than what came before. It still includes defence/parrying. But you should be able to immediately notice the difference in videos.

SadCoarseGosling-size_restricted.gif

My first souls..

Spent 3 hours fighting that guy at the beginning with the horse, and when I finally made progress, he starts using his shield....I can now confidently get to half his life...so maybe another 3 hours from now to figure out his second phase...

Damn lol

But I keep coming back for more, this can't be healthy lol
Hey! So I’d advise leaving him for a bit and exploring. If you want some advice, try venturing east and level yourself up a bit (if you’ve only just started the game).

I’m currently level 35 and haven’t gone back to fight that guy on the horse yet. I should though, I imagine he’s a piece of cake at this point.

Generally speaking, if something is giving you that much of a hard time, go explore and find some fun stuff to do.

Pejo

I just want to thank Miyazaki and his team for making it possible for me to play the game as a magic samurai. I was exploring a bit above my level in Dragonbarrow and woo boy.

He actually put an INT scaling katana in the game with a special quicksheath skill that shoots god damn sword lasers. It's called the Moonveil. So now I have a magic damage longbow (Horn bow), a magic katana, a Naginata that I gave INT scaling and magic damage through the ash of war. Amazing. A niche weird build and it's been taken perfectly into account. Also, can I just say how much I love the sorcery spell that appears behind the enemy and backstabs them? What a cool and evil spell.

Also, regarding Margit, most of you probably already know this, but I thought it was cool -

After you find Patches, spare him, and he sets up his shop, he actually sells an item that apparently has some effect on Margit during the fight to make him easier. I haven't gone back to Margit again or bought the item yet (I will though), but that's an awesome little prize you get for exploring before trying to bash your head against Margit like I was doing the first day.

Playing this game totally blind has been a top 10 gaming experience for me. It makes me realize how much better BotW would have been if the shrines had rewards similar to Elden Ring's system for dungeons/caves/crypts. It's just nice after putting in the effort to clear a dungeon, that you are rewarded properly.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It's the same combat gameplay as DS3, plus the jump from Sekiro, not at all like Bloodborne. However you can use magic and summons, and you can explore and go back later, there's tons of optional areas and boss.
Alright I'll check but I haven't been a fan of magic in the souls.
The gameplay is a lot more fluid than what came before. It still includes defence/parrying. But you should be able to immediately notice the difference in videos.

SadCoarseGosling-size_restricted.gif
The few streamers that I watched were playing very defensively so it was hard to tell.Fluidity is a godsend because I know a lot of people like the weight the souls have but I always felt that although realistic it ampered greatly my enjoyment of the game.I thionk I really need to play it for a few hours before having an opinion on it.
Other than artstyle that, from the few videos that I watched, seems awesome even though technically dated (not that it is a problem to me).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It makes me realize how much better BotW would have been if the shrines had rewards similar to Elden Ring's system for dungeons/caves/crypts. It's just nice after putting in the effort to clear a dungeon, that you are rewarded properly.

Better yet, if the shrines didn't teleport you to an area that was completely interchangeable. You could randomise those shrine puzzles and it wouldn't make a difference. Being able to seamlessly transition into so many zones-within-zones-within-zones is awesome.

Ar¢tos

I'm finding parrying to be easier in this game compared to Dks3. Maybe because I slotted a "wind" thing Ash on the Heater shield that triggers when I parry, but I've been parrying enemies left and right, while in Dks3 I could only parry enemies with very slow weapons (I suck at parry, or I thought I did....)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is there anyway to view an items info when you pick it up? There have been plenty of times I pick something up and don't even know what it is then have to track it down. It's my only real complaint with the game.
When you pick an item, you should see an icon on the upper left corner of the pop up. That icon indicates under which category the item falls into.

SkylineRKR

What makes it easier is that you can retaliate after a shield block. I don't use it often still, but it insta staggers enemies.

I'm disappointed in greatswords so far though, enemies are generally faster as per DS3.

Fools idol

Banned
so GAF, who do you guys feel is the hardest boss in the game?

For me it's EASILY
Misbegotten Warrior and Crucible knight.

Jesus christ, I have no idea how a non-tank build can survive seconds in this fight. The both of them together is just ornstein and smough on steroids.

Rykar, Lord of Blasphemy a close second. Son of a bitch took me at least 20 tries.

Last edited:

J3nga

Hey! So I’d advise leaving him for a bit and exploring. If you want some advice, try venturing east and level yourself up a bit (if you’ve only just started the game).

I’m currently level 35 and haven’t gone back to fight that guy on the horse yet. I should though, I imagine he’s a piece of cake at this point.

Generally speaking, if something is giving you that much of a hard time, go explore and find some fun stuff to do.
Unlike Seliro, DS and Elden Ring does make difference when it comes to levelling up. In Sekiro levelling up is pointless.

Ulysses 31

so GAF, who do you guys feel is the hardest boss in the game?

For me it's EASILY
Misbegotten Warrior and Crucible knight.

Jesus christ, I have no idea how a non-tank build can survive seconds in this fight. The both of them together is just ornstein and smough on steroids.

Rykar, Lord of Blasphemy a close second. Son of a bitch took me at least 20 tries.
Some items just make jokes of the bosses which I fear could ruin the challenging aspect of the game in the future once all weapons/spells/items combo's have been figured out... 👀

HFW will sell more than Elden Ring on PlayStation, easily.
HFW will sell more than Elden Ring in the end...and most of those sales will still be on PlayStation.
The first game sold over 20M copies . How many From Software games sold over 10M copies let alone 20M? lmao

Also, Elden Ring was supposed to be released at January 21st...From Software delayed it after Horizon already had its final release date.

Also, over 70% sales decrease on week two for physical sales is not weird in any way...specially for the physical charts. Usually it's the biggest fanbases than buy the games physically and from pre-orders, etc...

Ogbert

Game is absolutely incredible.

Rerolled samurai. Absolutely wrecking everything at the moment. I think the game is easier than other DS games, but certain builds can come a cropper if you’re not careful.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm having the time of my life with this game.

The exploration is very fun and it's able to get me hooked for hours, as wherever you go you'll find something interesting. I've already found a few cool places out of nowhere, and can't wait to see what else the game has in store.

The vistas are incredible sometimes too. I'm currently in Liurnia and man, it can look really pretty.

Thing is, I've already put 40 hours into this and only killed Godrick. How long is this game? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Alright I'll check but I haven't been a fan of magic in the souls.

The few streamers that I watched were playing very defensively so it was hard to tell.Fluidity is a godsend because I know a lot of people like the weight the souls have but I always felt that although realistic it ampered greatly my enjoyment of the game.I thionk I really need to play it for a few hours before having an opinion on it.
Other than artstyle that, from the few videos that I watched, seems awesome even though technically dated (not that it is a problem to me).
You can use fast dex based weapons and roll for defense (that's my own style), it's fast paced that way. Boss and large ennemies need to be timed for defense roll or you'll be crushed in 2-3 hits.
There's save points near every hard fight and very quick loading (on PS) so you're back to the spot quickly after death, or you can go any other way to explore there's always others caves, towers and open bands to take on. You can also use spirit summon like a pack of wolves, it help quite a bit.

There's still strong boss/encounters but you can level up elsewhere and come back with better stuff.

I'm 15 hours+ in and still not done with the first area of the game, found a hidden area much larger than any dungeon, found several unique key items that unlock whole section of gameplay or feature (like how to summon spirit, you need a specific item that you can totally miss during normal exploration) without using a guide but being curious and methodic.
Now i'm a bit worried maybe i'll miss others important items...

SLB1904

Banned
The guy who said it before is right, Margit wouldn't be a top 20 From fight in terms of difficulty. Hell, there are multiple Evergaol fights in just the first couple areas that are harder. In a few weeks we'll all be talking about how easy he is once people start hitting the really hard ones.

I posted Sunhi's no hit, naked of Margit earlier, but here's another guy level 15 with +3 weapon:

And if you can't straight up fight him you got Shackle's, Jellyfish and he's one of the easiest bosses to parry.

That fuck is jelly fish. And where do I get it?

Top Bottom