• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot PSVR stream live | OT | of no tracking issues

thank god you've done this immense service for us all, op. this NEEDED to be shared. i simply cannot imagine a world in which the only word on psvr were the slanderous lies cooked up the Giant Bomb World Order, and their associates. faulty units, HAH! gamespot sets us free! GET IN HERE, SONYBROS! DO NOT LET THEM FOOL YOU! THE COUNTOURS BEHIND PLANES ARE IN FACT SECRET MICROSOFT MINDCONTROL GAS TO CONVINCE YOU BUY AN XBONE AND THE DUALSHOCK 4 NEVER HAD PEELING RUBBER ON THE STICKS!!!!!

Good ol' Sony Hardware Launches on NeoGAF

This won't end well...

Regarding DriveClub VR, gtplanet mentioned in their PSVR review that they'll talk about their impressions on that game tomorrow.

Wallach

I'd say it's less about that and more about determining if there is a widespread problem with these units. I'm pretty certain Richard didn't have any issues like Giant Bomb while testing for the DF review but there are enough people having problems that it sure seems like this could become an issue at launch.

Do you guys still have the unit? Maybe you could do some tests specifically for the positional fighting and drift issues on the headset itself and see if you can reproduce them?

Hasney

Yep.

Now I hope my headset isn't coming from the same bunch as Giantbombs...

The faulty headset thing is totally a thing.

The bit I can't understand about faulty headsets is how it was fucking with the move/controller stuff though. I can totally buy the nausea inducing wobble, but why would it break the other device tracking?

Zebetite

Banned
Let's give Zebatite a second chance. He lost himself back there. He's a good fella.

for my part, it's bad form to direct a post at you (the op), when it's really a broader thing that I'm tryin' to have a laugh about. So, sorry bout that, buddy! Anyways I'll bow out and let you have your productive thread now. Enjoy the stream folks!

farisr

If both the headset and controllers are having a problem in tracking maybe it's actually the camera that's the problem

Hasney

If both the headset and controllers are having a problem in tracking maybe it's actually the camera that's the problem

Possibly, but they had two different ones. Can't remember if one was the new style and one the old or what off the top of my head.

pj

Banned
The bit I can't understand about faulty headsets is how it was fucking with the move/controller stuff though. I can totally buy the nausea inducing wobble, but why would it break the other device tracking?

Also both of GB's units had similar problems.

Maybe it's the camera rather than the other things? I haven't followed this much, mind.

Pif

Banned
for my part, it's bad form to direct a post at you (the op), when it's really a broader thing that I'm tryin' to have a laugh about. So, sorry bout that, buddy! Anyways I'll bow out and let you have your productive thread now. Enjoy the stream folks!

Thank you for coming to your senses.

Let's grab some VR beer!

Stream is over. But it was a good relief to see the headset working fine like the previous E3 hands-on and stuff.

Hasney

Your personal experience or?

I understand it will look bad, I'd like an idea of how bad.
Nah, from reviews and Twitter talk. You see on any streams when the social screen has to go low res? That looks bad.

Also both of GB's units had similar problems.

Yeah, which I could buy if it was just headset problems. Maybe just getting unlucky in that case, but for everything to crap out in various degrees would be strange to be a headset issue. Maybe the cameras I guess, but even then.

Hopefully people get to the bottom of whatever causes it by launch day.

Having not watched the GB stream, what were the issues?
I've watched a ton of GB VR coverage. I've never seen Jeff look that physically ill from the tech. PSVR did not do well for him today. He said it mostly the stuff that was supposed to be still was moving back and forth.

akileese

I've watched a ton of GB VR coverage. I've never seen Jeff look that physically ill from the tech. PSVR did not do well for him today. He said it mostly the stuff that was supposed to be still was moving back and forth.

This. It's important to note that when they did all their Vive/Oculus stuff, Jeff did the brunt of the live stream testing and he never looked like that. Something was seriously wrong with a piece of hardware (be it the headset or the camera) for him to have motion sickness.

Hasney

Yeah I watched it all. Headsets could be faulty, maybe reading the sensors too sensitive or something to make the world sway, because GameSpot had some Move shakiness, but nothing in the headset. Now GI apparently have neither.

TyrantII

thank god you've done this immense service for us all, op. this NEEDED to be shared. i simply cannot imagine a world in which the only word on psvr were the slanderous lies cooked up the Giant Bomb World Order, and their associates. faulty units, HAH! gamespot sets us free! GET IN HERE, SONYBROS! DO NOT LET THEM FOOL YOU! THE COUNTOURS BEHIND PLANES ARE IN FACT SECRET MICROSOFT MINDCONTROL GAS TO CONVINCE YOU BUY AN XBONE AND THE DUALSHOCK 4 NEVER HAD PEELING RUBBER ON THE STICKS!!!!!

Popcorn.gif

jett

D-Member
You can clearly see the virtual Moves jittering like mad in the Arkham VR portion, just like on Giant Bomb.

It's cool that we finally got Driveclub VR gameplay at 60fps. That honest looked quite a decent downgrade from the regular game.

I'd say it's less about that and more about determining if there is a widespread problem with these units. I'm pretty certain Richard didn't have any issues like Giant Bomb while testing for the DF review but there are enough people having problems that it sure seems like this could become an issue at launch.

Richard clearly says in his DF review that he suffered from the same jittery issues, and also experienced loss of tracking when sitting outside a certain sweet spot.

Hasney

Richard clearly says in his DF review that he suffered from the same jittery issues, and also experienced loss of tracking when sitting outside a certain sweet spot.

That's still different enough to Giant Bomb where they couldn't even find a sweet spot and tried moving closer.

Does being bored at work and having a laugh at GAF's expense make one okay? You tell me!

Your best bet is to PM a moderator and direct them to the post in question.

You're really just making yourself look like a joke. There's a giantbomb thread showing what is a worrisome issue. It doesn't hurt to know that it does indeed work and isn't a widespread problem. You've gotten more worked up than anyone.

Pif

Banned
You can clearly see the virtual Moves jittering like mad in the Arkham VR portion, just like on Giant Bomb.

It's cool that we finally got Driveclub VR gameplay at 60fps. That honest looked quite a decent downgrade from the regular game.

I'm still amazed how close it still manages to look though.

It's PSVRs most demanding game right now it seems.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even Vive units have jitter.

Even Vive has jittering to some degree sometimes depending on setup.

Lol. Good whataboutism, guys.

Vive jittering didn't get a pass either.

Edit: just to be clear, the test will be when people will get the headsets and if it makes them sick or not. If not, everything it's fine. Still saying that there are no tracking issues in this video or in the Game Informer video is not correct.

Wereroku

Edit: just to be clear, the test will be when people will get the headsets and if it makes them sick or not. If not, everything it's fine. Still saying that there are no tracking issues in this video or in the Game Informer video is not correct.

There is jittering but what made Jeff sick was the world pulsing around him and we haven't seen that with any other coverage. It really makes it seem like they have something wrong with their units.

Salvadora

There's still plenty of jittering in this video.

Also counteract thread title, really?
Regardless of the positives or negatives of the PSVR platform, it comes across as fanboy-deflection/damage control.

Let the Gamespot stream stand on it's on merits.

Pif

Banned
There is jittering but what made Jeff sick was the world pulsing around him and we haven't seen that with any other coverage. It really makes it seem like they have something wrong with their units.

The world pulsing suspisciously aligns with a camera struggling to get the correct depth and keeps correcting the distance from the player's point of view.

Still waiting for official word on this Giantbomb (and others) issue.

Also, the move's jittering is kind of expected from 2010 tech. It's never gonna be as smooth as Vive or Oculus. Devs could apply some smoothening algorythms like we see in PS3's The Fight. At the expense of input lag.

orochi91

"whataboutism"?

There isn't a flawless tracking system on the market, and GB jittering was severe and not at all typical of what PSVR is capable of, as evidenced by streams put out by GI, GS, KF and etc.

Relative to what happened on the GB stream, PSVR on GS is absolutely not exhibiting tracking issues akin to those that were present on GB and Kotaku.

"No tracking issues" doesn't equate to 100% jitter-free.

tolkir

lolu07sgm.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"whataboutism"?

There isn't a flawless tracking system on the market

I like your self-irony.

"No tracking issues" doesn't equate to 100% jitter-free.

Sorry, I didn't see the small letters in the OP. /s

No tracking issues means no tracking issues. Jitters and drift are tracking issues. What spin games are we playing now?

Edit: I feel the need to mention again that once the headsets will be in the people hands it might not be a widespread thing or people won't be to bothered by it, that remains to be seen.

Even the GI stream the guy says something like
"the head tracking isn't great and it makes me feel like I'm going to fall. Which makes me nauseated"
During London heist.

Pif

Banned
Just to be clear: when I made the thread title "no tracking issues" was directed at the headset, since GB stream was so fucked up.

The moves are a different story. Everyone knows they are old tech and Vive is using newer sensors that rely on IR as opposed to move's "lightbulb" solution. Hence the superiority. I think anyone who tested the moves back then already knows this.

Seiru

Banned
Just to be clear: when I made the thread title "no tracking issues" was directed at the headset, since GB stream was so fucked up.

The moves are a different story. Everyone knows they are old tech and Vive is using newer sensors that rely on IR as opposed to move's "lightbulb" solution. Hence the superiority. I think anyone who tested the moves back then already knows this.

The PSVR headset uses the same positional tracking solution as the Move controllers (visible light).

N30RYU

Gold Member

Don't worry you'll get there next year with the Scorpio... to a better VR.

DavidDesu

Lol yeah. I imagine some people's cameras by now, like mine, have been stuck somewhere amidst a bunch of cables behind the tv. A simple smudge of some sort over one of the lenses would definitely fuck up how the system works. It could be something as simple as that for anyone with issues.

Everyone give your cameras a good wipe down before you use PSVR for the first time, just in case!

Top Bottom