• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot PSVR stream live | OT | of no tracking issues

daveo42

Banned
Just to be clear: when I made the thread title "no tracking issues" was directed at the headset, since GB stream was so fucked up.

The moves are a different story. Everyone knows they are old tech and Vive is using newer sensors that rely on IR as opposed to move's "lightbulb" solution. Hence the superiority. I think anyone who tested the moves back then already knows this.

The camera tracks the move controllers, the headset and the PS4 controller dude. It's all based on old tech. Using visible light for motion tracking leads to less accuracy over IR. But it was a cheaper solution for Sony to follow because they had all those controllers sitting around.

I think they would have benefitied from going IR, especially with how nice their HMD is in comparison to the competition.

tuxfool

Banned
The camera tracks the move controllers, the headset and the PS4 controller dude. It's all based on old tech. Using visible light for motion tracking leads to less accuracy over IR. But it was a cheaper solution for Sony to follow because they had all those controllers sitting around.

I think they would have benefitied from going IR, especially with how nice their HMD is in comparison to the competition.

Yup. Another advantage of IR is that it is a monochrome source. You can then put a narrowband filter in the lens to reduce sources of error. Doing the same for a colour camera and computer vision is a lot more complicated.

Pif

Banned

Yeah but it would never cost 400 bucks. You get what you pay for. Except for iPhones.

For everyone:

Updated OP with all the links from today's streams that didn't seem to have any major issues and worked as intended, like previous events hands-on experiences.

Don't be unpleseant and form your opinion based on only one stream. From only today. Your agenda shows that way. There's PSVR coverage spanning for almost 2 years now.

Seiru

Banned
Yeah but it would never cost 400 bucks. You get what you pay for. Except for iPhones.

For everyone:

Updated OP with all the links from today's streams that didn't seem to have any major issues and worked as intended, like previous events hands-on experiences.

Don't be unpleseant and form your opinion based on only one stream. From only today. Your agenda shows that way. There's PSVR coverage spanning for almost 2 years now.

Cool, can you include only the reviews over 90 (or equivalent rating) as well? I don't want to see any negative coverage at all.

Chris_C

I have to say, watching the Giant Bomb stream was a massive bummer for me, because as a Move early adopter, a lot of the issues they seemed to have with tracking were issues I noticed with the original move (minus the pulsing, which seemed to be the biggest issue). I was seriously considering canceling my preorder, but hearing that some others aren't having these issues makes me think it might be a bad batch of headsets, faulty cameras or issues with setup. I guess I'll see when I get my hands on it in a few days.

Pif

Banned
Cool, can you include only the reviews over 90 (or equivalent rating) as well? I don't want to see any negative coverage at all.

That's not acceptable in the official thread of no tracking issues. Also, the lowest score psvr got was like, an 8.

So that's about as negative as you're getting. Sorry buddy

Pif

Banned
I have to say, watching the Giant Bomb stream was a massive bummer for me, because as a Move early adopter, a lot of the issues they seemed to have with tracking were issues I noticed with the original move (minus the pulsing, which seemed to be the biggest issue). I was seriously considering canceling my preorder, but hearing that some others aren't having these issues makes me think it might be a bad batch of headsets, faulty cameras or issues with setup. I guess I'll see when I get my hands on it in a few days.

I'm personally still worried though. If problems persist when my unit reaches me, I won't exitate in returning it.

VR is gonna have another big shot with Scorpio in 2017, and possibly Oculus + controllers is gonna be much cheaper by then. If Sony doesn't get it's shit together, someone will.

Glad Gamespot are having a much better time with it. Although it looks like some people are not too impressed with this thread, lol.
Gotta keep the negativity train running at full steam, right guys?

Chris_C

I'm personally still worried though. If problems persist when my unit reaches me, I won't exitate in returning it.

Oh yeah, same here. I'm definitely worried, but I didn't run into any issues like the GB crew did when I demoed it (admittedly only for 15 mins)

Does it though? I don't see why it would: plenty of interference in the infrared spectrum as well, and it's not as if an IR light source is inherently more trackable than one in the visible spectrum, AFAIK.

Isn't the main issue here just that the moves have fewer tracking points than the Vive's controllers?

EDIT:
Yup. Another advantage of IR is that it is a monochrome source. You can then put a narrowband filter in the lens to reduce sources of error. Doing the same for a colour camera and computer vision is a lot more complicated.
I guess it's easier, but is it really more precise? There is plenty of examples of just sunlight interfering with the Vive's controllers, too.

Not saying that you guys are wrong, just wondering.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I read about the Vive's lighthouses having issues (and see it on streams) quite often. People even have to go around their room throwing blankets over every reflective surface.

Obviously not everyone has the same tracking problems, but it doesn't seem like the lighthouses are the perfect solution either. I wonder what the absolute perfect solution is, completely ignoring cost.

Yeah I read about the Vive's lighthouses having issues (and see it on streams) quite often. People even have to go around their room throwing blankets over every reflective surface.

Obviously not everyone has the same tracking problems, but it doesn't seem like the lighthouses are the perfect solution either. I wonder what the absolute perfect solution is, completely ignoring cost.
I would think something like RF signals on some unused frequency, with the location of the controller/headset being determined by latency. It would probably be hard to do though, and you'd need at least three base stations, if not more for reliably accurate triangulation.

tuxfool

Banned
I would think something like RF signals on some unused frequency, with the location of the controller/headset being determined by latency. It would probably be hard to do though, and you'd need at least three base stations, if not more for reliably accurate triangulation.

That would be terrible. You'd need a license to operate outside of congested ISM bands and you wouldn't want to use RF frequencies on account of heavy fading effects or superpositioning effects indoors. You could beamform to help reject any spurious signals, but then you'd have to stay in the same position.

Alternatively you could look at 60Ghz carriers, but those would run into propagation issues very quickly.

That would be terrible. You'd need a license to operate outside of congested ISM bands and you wouldn't want to use RF frequencies on account of heavy fading effects or superpositioning effects indoors. You could beamform to help reject any spurious signals, but then you'd have to stay in the same position.

Alternatively you could look at 60Ghz carriers, but those would run into propagation issues very quickly.

Welp, I'm out of ideas then.

Top Bottom