• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar - Fable 4 is happening, it’s story-focused, and everything else we know so far

CyberPanda

Banned
Fable 4 is happening, it’s story-focused, and everything else we know so far

By Sam Loveridge

Prepare to return to Albion in Fable 4 by learning everything we know so far about the rumoured title

2020 has to be the year that we at least hearabout Fable 4 in an official capacity. With the Xbox Series X actually arriving in the Holiday 2020 season, we're going to need some more upcoming Xbox Series X games to be excited about, and Fable 4, surely, has to be one of them.

It is apparently in development at Playground Games, the studio that has brought you the glorious Forza Horizon series. We know that courtesy of a huge Fable 4 leak that emerged a while back, which revealed that a massive chunk of the gameplay, and core themes, may have changed, including that the game is likely set across multiple planets, and could even involve time travel. Madness.

Interestingly, Xbox's Phil Spencer has an answer as to why we didn't see Fable 4 at E3. He says Xbox wants "to make sure that when we talk about things to come, whether it’s Fable or not, that the team feels very solid about what they are doing. I will harken back to … the Marvel MMO.

Anybody remember us announcing a Marvel MMO? We didn’t even have a team that was signed that would do the Marvel MMO." Sounds like Microsoft learnt their lessons from that mistake, as Spencer goes on to talk about how his team decides when is the right time to officially confirm which games are on the horizon.
"Running a studio organization and making sure we’re talking about games at the right time, when we know what we’re trying to build - I’m not making any comment specifically about Fable; it’s about anything in the portfolio ... that we have … some idea of when it would come out" is a priority, says Spencer. "The thing I love about our [E3 2019] show was 60 games and the first party games - I could tell you when those all were shipping, and I can play those games, most of them here, and can put my hands on them and make promises."

So, with that in mind, here's everything we know about Fable 4 so far...

Fable 4 E3 2019 leak hints that major changes on the way

Ok, time to run down what got included in the Fable 4 E3 2019 leak. Apparently Albion has been destroyed by an asteroid that got wished into existence by a Mad King who took control of the Tattered Spire, the Will-fuelled tower from Fable 2 that granted the person who controlled it one wish once it was built. So now it's down to you to use time travel to save it… we think.

Theresa and the Guild are hiding away on another planet that you can access via a demon door, but if you want you can ignore the entirety of the main quest and never become a hero at all. Players can also build their own towns in the completely open world, which ties into the main quest (unsurprising for anyone who's played any Fable games), plus the character creator is majorly in depth. For those who were miffed about the guns in Fable 3 and 2, you can rest assured that there are zero guns in Fable 4. Oh yeah, and there's finally multiplayer! The whole thing is being made in Unreal Engine, so it should look pretty as heck. Now we just need to see it in action…

More here

Wow, really does not take long for people to start acting like idiots.

Because that’s what you guys are. Idiots.

As for Fable, I’m interested big time. Still sad the Public tech demo Test they released was canned, it was stunning and had potential.

If this is in reference to me, read my other posts.

I bought an X over a Pro, last year, for this very reason, because Microsoft announced the X would be forward compatible. I'm done with midnight launches, stood in the cold, to get a console that I have to update on that very night, that I pay over the odds for.

So 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

It's been too long since we last had a Fable game.

Surprised they are using UE4 and not the open world engine Forza Horizon runs on considering Playground are developing this.

Yeah this is the first thing that came to mind. I would imagine it's a wise choice as the Forza Horizon engine may not be ideal for an RPG for various reasons (see: Frostbite). Can't wait to play this, the Fable series is a treasure. Let's hope they get it right and keep it heavily story SP focused n relatively free of bullshit mtx.

Saber

Gold Member
Depending on the type of gameplay, it would be pretty easy to skip. Fable 3 was terrible, I still prefer the first one.

Btw, does your info count as a rumor?

SleepDoctor

Banned
If this is in reference to me, read my other posts.

I bought an X over a Pro, last year, for this very reason, because Microsoft announced the X would be forward compatible. I'm done with midnight launches, stood in the cold, to get a console that I have to update on that very night, that I pay over the odds for.

So 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

As of right now thats my plan for this and Halo Infinite unless they can show some real improvement on the xsex on these crossgen games.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to this. If I look back at how old I was when I played Fable 1 there might be some nostalgia that's influencing why I really hope this game will be amazing and succeed. Besides that, the lore and style of the game is great anyway, so if you've got a decent story and some fun gameplay you can't really mess this up.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I've been hoping that this Fable took some inspiration from the Witcher 3 as far as the quality of the quests and being darker

Gaf, tell me it's possible

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why saddle it with a dying franchise? Seriously, Xbox need to stop thinking that they are Nintendo.

As of right now thats my plan for this and Halo Infinite unless they can show some real improvement on the xsex on these crossgen games.

There will be an improvement, the XBSX will be a powerful machine, so will the PS5. I haven't upgraded my playstation since launch day, so that's the console that I will upgrade first. The bonus is that I can play the PS4 games I missed out on while I was playing on xbox.

Alternating between the two has saved me a lot of time, effort and money this generation. Combined with Gamepass, XBLG and PSN+ and PSnow, I have more than enough to play, for 'free' without having to jump in day one for either console

SleepDoctor

Banned
There will be an improvement, the XBSX will be a powerful machine, so will the PS5. I haven't upgraded my playstation since launch day, so that's the console that I will upgrade first. The bonus is that I can play the PS4 games I missed out on while I was playing on xbox.

Alternating between the two has saved me a lot of time, effort and money this generation. Combined with Gamepass, XBLG and PSN+ and PSnow, I have more than enough to play, for 'free' without having to jump in day one for either console

Same here, ive been playing on both and planned getting both at launch but the no exclusive xbox news is off putting. If there's a night and day difference, i will get both. If not the xbox can wait a year. Ps5 is most likely day one since i still have a launch Ps4.

I upgraded to the X because i got it for cheap with rdr 2 and pubg included. So that can hold up awhile longer if there's no night and day difference cross gen.

Same here, ive been playing on both and planned getting both at launch but the no exclusive xbox news is off putting. If there's a night and day difference, i will get both. If not the xbox can wait a year. Ps5 is most likely day one since i still have a launch Ps4.

I upgraded to the X because i got it for cheap with rdr 2 and pubg included. So that can hold up awhile longer if there's no night and day difference cross gen.

Let's be honest, when the PS4 launched, there were good games to play, but without competition from Microsoft, the first few months were focused on cross-gen games.

It will be 6 months before we see a Bloodborne, Infamous, or The Order, equivalent graphics on the new consoles.

I upgraded to the X because the base Xbone is dogshit and upgrading meant all of the gamepass games were playable. The difference in Fallout 4 was disgusting brown mess to bearable.

Maybe the best thing for Microsoft is to lower the base price of the X to like £150/$199 and wait 6-12 months before launching a more powerful console/at a cheaper price

Bkdk

Will have to see how this goes, this should be included in the pc gamepass but not having high hopes for this.

Fbh

I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Fable always seemed like this franchise where the team just lacked the resources (or talent) to really make it live up to its potential. Maybe Playground will be the ones to finally nail it.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Let's be honest, when the PS4 launched, there were good games to play, but without competition from Microsoft, the first few months were focused on cross-gen games.

It will be 6 months before we see a Bloodborne, Infamous, or The Order, equivalent graphics on the new consoles.

I upgraded to the X because the base Xbone is dogshit and upgrading meant all of the gamepass games were playable. The difference in Fallout 4 was disgusting brown mess to bearable.

Maybe the best thing for Microsoft is to lower the base price of the X to like £150/$199 and wait 6-12 months before launching a more powerful console/at a cheaper price

I liked shadowfall but honestly wasn't as good as expected. I waited almost 2 years before getting an xbox. I had fun with Ryse although it was basically a tech demo.

Crossgen are always the most played games regardless. My issue is just Microsoft's lack of giving us an incentive to upgrade day one. But i like new things, so like i said. If i see a big difference between crossgen games, I'll upgrade

I liked shadowfall but honestly wasn't as good as expected. I waited almost 2 years before getting an xbox. I had fun with Ryse although it was basically a tech demo.

Crossgen are always the most played games regardless. My issue is just Microsoft's lack of giving us an incentive to upgrade day one. But i like new things, so like i said. If i see a big difference between crossgen games, I'll upgrade

Infamous took up a lot of my time. Pretty much just walking around, amazed by the lighting effects. I picked up an Xbox to play Gears 3 on BC, then I used it for Gears 4. Now the X Is my go to console, mainly due to gamepass.

Bkdk

every microsoft title will be coming to game pass at the launche day. Im shocked there are people who don't understand it yet
That is all related to how MS is doing next gen. Still 1.5-2 years from release and if gamepass already has a huge market share plus Sony flops, they will backtrack for sure to increase profits.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I must be the only person who really loved the canceled fable from the previous generation, it almost got me to buy an Xbox. Shame it never panned out

Gargus

Banned
Eh, not too excited.

I liked fable and fable 2 well enough, 3 wasn't that great and it all went way down hill as it got closer to lionhead being closed down. Now that their gone I don't have much faith in the series really.

The only things that were good about fable were by Peter's fucking overinflated ego and lionheads way of doing games. Without them I'm pretty sure this will end up as a generic game cranked out just for the sake of the brand name (which is tarnished and outdated) by people who will work with a "fable checklist" of things that made the game what it was.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Infamous took up a lot of my time. Pretty much just walking around, amazed by the lighting effects. I picked up an Xbox to play Gears 3 on BC, then I used it for Gears 4. Now the X Is my go to console, mainly due to gamepass.

Never got into the first 2 infamous games but the drought made me try ss and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bc on gears 3 ran like shit at first and i never went back. Its hard to say what my go to is. Sometimes i play one a little while then go to the other. Then some times i wont turn one on for like a week and vice versa.

I just love the games, don't care for the brand. Neither pay my bills lol.

giphy.gif

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I never really got into the Fable games, but I am excited to see what Playground Games can do with an RPG.

Hawke502

That is all related to how MS is doing next gen. Still 1.5-2 years from release and if gamepass already has a huge market share plus Sony flops, they will backtrack for sure to increase profits.
they will not, every first party game will come to game pass day one, they can't backtrack from this

SleepDoctor

Banned
I liked Fable 1 & 2, 3 not so much. It seemed like it was the same game over and over. I hope Playground can make Fable fresh and give a good new story.

Never tried the first but i liked 2 and 3 although 3 was a little disappointing. My biggest complaint was how short the main story was tho.

StormCell

I played and very much enjoyed the second Fable. Glad to hear they're making another, as that's one way to get me to buy an Xbox.

Top Bottom