• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesRadar - Fable 4 is happening, it’s story-focused, and everything else we know so far

pr0cs

I must be the only person who really loved the canceled fable from the previous generation, it almost got me to buy an Xbox. Shame it never panned out
It was decent looking but smacked heavily of being designed to push gaas, you could see how EVERYTHING was additional cost. Couple that with very bland gameplay and it deserved to die, didn't feel like fable at all.
I have faith in Playground, they haven't let me down yet, I can't help but think that having a very different developer approach the series is a good thing.
I don't expect though that we'll see anything but a prerendered trailer this year unfortunately

Klayzer

Might just be Fable in name only. I can see the developers trying something totally different for the franchise. A total reboot like what happened with God of War.

Helios

Interesting. Not sure if story-focused is the way too go as Fable didn't have a particularly engaging story to begin in with. At least not from what I remember. Also time-travel in video games is almost always done in the worst possible ways.
Still, I'm glad we're getting more Fable.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
There’s been an awful lot of those posts like his that are essentially baiting and slagging Xbox fans. The jury is still out on if he was one of them or not.

Then you need to dial it back on calling people idiots, if you are unsure of its intent.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not a huge fan of Fable. Hopefully Playground can revitalize it and make it something I'd like to try.

Simpkin92

I enjoyed 3, even though it wasn’t that great. I have loved everything that playground touches so I am definitely excited to see what they can do with 4.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Looking forward to it I hope they can hit out of the park. This is the kind of game solely lacking in the line up. The first one was good the sequels not so much.

Varteras

Gold Member
Never got into Fable. I played the first one a bit. Didn't really bother with the others. I'm interested to see if Playground can get my attention. I've always felt I should have liked Fable but never did.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I know he's not doing Fable anymore, but I just love this comic too much.

peter-molyneux-lies-comic.gif

Humdinger

This is probably the MS exclusive I'm most interested in. I always enjoyed the Fable games. I thought of them as like cotton-candy RPGs -- easy, light, colorful -- not much substance but a pleasant enough way to pass the time.

However, it's a new day and a new developer. We have no idea if they are going to aim for the old Fable aesthetic or create something new.

• Will the visual style still be somewhat cartoonish or more realistic?
  • Will the combat still be very simple and accessible, or will they make it more complex and challenging?
  • Will it have the same lighthearted atmosphere? Or will they make it more serious and "mature"?
  • Will it have the goofy, adolescent sense of humor, or will Fable drop the fart jokes and "grow up"?

I look forward to learning more about it. Hopefully, we'll get a peek in a few days.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can anyone who played the old Fable games tell me what they think the pillars of that franchise is?

If Perfect Dark is...

- Sci Fi
- Crazy weapon + gadgets
- Espionage
- Joanna Dark

... what's Fable?

Wimbledon

Fable 4 is happening, it’s story-focused, and everything else we know so far

By Sam Loveridge

Prepare to return to Albion in Fable 4 by learning everything we know so far about the rumoured title

2020 has to be the year that we at least hearabout Fable 4 in an official capacity. With the Xbox Series X actually arriving in the Holiday 2020 season, we're going to need some more upcoming Xbox Series X games to be excited about, and Fable 4, surely, has to be one of them.

It is apparently in development at Playground Games, the studio that has brought you the glorious Forza Horizon series. We know that courtesy of a huge Fable 4 leak that emerged a while back, which revealed that a massive chunk of the gameplay, and core themes, may have changed, including that the game is likely set across multiple planets, and could even involve time travel. Madness.

Interestingly, Xbox's Phil Spencer has an answer as to why we didn't see Fable 4 at E3. He says Xbox wants "to make sure that when we talk about things to come, whether it’s Fable or not, that the team feels very solid about what they are doing. I will harken back to … the Marvel MMO.

Anybody remember us announcing a Marvel MMO? We didn’t even have a team that was signed that would do the Marvel MMO." Sounds like Microsoft learnt their lessons from that mistake, as Spencer goes on to talk about how his team decides when is the right time to officially confirm which games are on the horizon.
"Running a studio organization and making sure we’re talking about games at the right time, when we know what we’re trying to build - I’m not making any comment specifically about Fable; it’s about anything in the portfolio ... that we have … some idea of when it would come out" is a priority, says Spencer. "The thing I love about our [E3 2019] show was 60 games and the first party games - I could tell you when those all were shipping, and I can play those games, most of them here, and can put my hands on them and make promises."

So, with that in mind, here's everything we know about Fable 4 so far...

Fable 4 E3 2019 leak hints that major changes on the way

Ok, time to run down what got included in the Fable 4 E3 2019 leak. Apparently Albion has been destroyed by an asteroid that got wished into existence by a Mad King who took control of the Tattered Spire, the Will-fuelled tower from Fable 2 that granted the person who controlled it one wish once it was built. So now it's down to you to use time travel to save it… we think.

Theresa and the Guild are hiding away on another planet that you can access via a demon door, but if you want you can ignore the entirety of the main quest and never become a hero at all. Players can also build their own towns in the completely open world, which ties into the main quest (unsurprising for anyone who's played any Fable games), plus the character creator is majorly in depth. For those who were miffed about the guns in Fable 3 and 2, you can rest assured that there are zero guns in Fable 4. Oh yeah, and there's finally multiplayer! The whole thing is being made in Unreal Engine, so it should look pretty as heck. Now we just need to see it in action…

More here

That story excerpt sounds horrible, if that's true. They should really just start it over you can still keep the dark humor but turn it more into a standard action RPG.

CitizenX

Banned
What the fuck were you expecting from a Fable game?

Zero.zero since the OG devs are no longer around. But I expect the same from anything AAA as i posted, same game mechanics, same story line, no innovation just prettier graphics. Thats all and thats just facts. If you think i am wrong look at the 2 most recent Sony titles. Same, same, pretty done.

Dolomite

Zero.zero since the OG devs are no longer around. But I expect the same from anything AAA as i posted, same game mechanics, same story line, no innovation just prettier graphics. Thats all and thats just facts. If you think i am wrong look at the 2 most recent Sony titles. Same, same, pretty done.
2 days. We have 2 day to see if the game actually exist then feel free to shit on whatever is shown

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh you're one of those guys. No thanks, I prefer to keep my sanity.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am glad I finally got the Fable game I wanted in Zelda BOTW.

I’d love to see Microsoft going for that approach.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Can anyone who played the old Fable games tell me what they think the pillars of that franchise is?

If Perfect Dark is...

- Sci Fi
- Crazy weapon + gadgets
- Espionage
- Joanna Dark

... what's Fable?
Morality choices, Fairy Tale trappings, British humour, system-orientated NPC interactions (basic economy systems, basic romance systems, etc.), focus on consequences, simplistic combat and player customisation. Whimsical meets Grimms that's more than the sum of its parts.

DeaDPo0L84

I have played both mainline Fable games but never beaten either of them. I am hoping Playground games find success with a much different project similar to how Guerrila games did moving from Killzone to Horizon.

bender

What time is it?
Fresh off of hundreds of hours of Morrowind and craving a similar experience, Peter Molyneux whispered sweet little lies into my ear. "Plant a seed and watch it grow", he said. I was so excited for Fable (and B.C.) because I thought he was going to take world building to the next level and what we got was Fable which seems apropos because most of his descriptions about what the game seemed to be fairy tales. A combination of my inflated expectations and trusting what he said probably led to me never giving the game or the series a fair shot. I should have learned my lesson after Black and White.

CrysisFreak

Banned
It's going to be the first Fable of my life. Will try it out for sure to get the most out of GamePass.
Let's just hope it has good combat.
I mean it does have action combat right?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If you think Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU 2 are anything alike then you have an issue

No offense

sxodan

I really really wish they go for a more realistic look in terms of art style and visuals. It would make the game feel more "serious" and Xbox already have Everwild and Sea of Thieves with this cartoonish art style.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I really really wish they go for a more realistic look in terms of art style and visuals. It would make the game feel more "serious" and Xbox already have Everwild and Sea of Thieves with this cartoonish art style.
This. I hope there's a good amount of realistic art style games at the show

Humdinger

It's going to be the first Fable of my life. Will try it out for sure to get the most out of GamePass.
Let's just hope it has good combat.
I mean it does have action combat right?

Well, it depends what you mean. Fable is known for its accessibility -- in other words, it's pick up play, casual-friendly aspects. That became more true of the series as it aged. By the time Fable 3 came around, people were making fun of the "one-button combat." It's been a while, so I can't remember, but I think just pressing Y got you through most fights.

Molyneux wanted the game to be accessible to everyone. He didn't want to put barriers up to people based on combat difficulty. Sort of the opposite of the Dark Souls philosophy. So, the franchise was known for its easy and simple combat, especially as it progressed.

That's one of the questions I have about the new Fable. Will it still have very easy, accessible combat, or will it be more complex and challenging?

Since the game is still in a "early-stage".
I don't know why we'd see gameplay

It's still in early stage? Haven't they been working on it for like 3 years or something? Seems like they'd have something to show after all that time.

But I guess it doesn't have to be gameplay (although that would be ideal). I'd be okay with a good, beefy trailer showing the visual style, the atmosphere, hinting at combat style, and showing a bit of the story setup. That would be okay.

I'll be bummed if it's just an announcement trailer, with nothing more. Everyone knows the game is coming at this point; that's no surprise. I want information about the game.

Should we even expect it to be shown? MS has been known not to show games until they are within about a year of release. Although that stance was occasionally violated (e.g., Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, etc.), that used to at least be their stated policy. So if Fable is truly still in an early stage, should we even expect it to be shown?

Last edited:

Barlow

They were what? 40-50 people most of time until they ramp up last/this year.

I don't know if they're still "early-stage" but some of their job ads say so.

Last edited:

NT80

This is probably the MS exclusive I'm most interested in. I always enjoyed the Fable games. I thought of them as like cotton-candy RPGs -- easy, light, colorful -- not much substance but a pleasant enough way to pass the time.

However, it's a new day and a new developer. We have no idea if they are going to aim for the old Fable aesthetic or create something new.

• Will the visual style still be somewhat cartoonish or more realistic?
  • Will the combat still be very simple and accessible, or will they make it more complex and challenging?
  • Will it have the same lighthearted atmosphere? Or will they make it more serious and "mature"?
  • Will it have the goofy, adolescent sense of humor, or will Fable drop the fart jokes and "grow up"?

I look forward to learning more about it. Hopefully, we'll get a peek in a few days.
There was something wonderful about the atmosphere, art and music of Fable 1 and 2 but I'm skeptical another developer can evoke that same feeling. I never liked Molyneux's attempt to appeal to button mashers and casuals by making it super easy and simple with no consequence of failure. I think that's what ruined Fable 3. I remember Fable 1 being quite hard until you powered up a lot.

They were what? 40-50 people most of time until they ramp up last/this year.

I don't know if they're still "early-stage" but some of their job ads say so.
This.

I dislike how the narrative for both The Initiative and Playgrounds RPG studio comes down to "they've been working on it since 2017/2018!"

Though that's true, they have been working on it with skeleton crews, and even if the IP aren't new, they will have to start from scratch still.

A fable announcement trailer is what I expect, but I'd be surprised if we see anything of substance. I also wouldn't mind if they held it off until the game was ready, but I fear they feel the need to show some things early.

niilokin

I can't wait to see it. I hope the core Fable is there and if they decide to do true open world, I'm even more stoked.

Top Bottom