• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop deal with Microsoft includes revenue sharing on all downstream revenue

MrFunSocks

Banned
Kind of funny everyone lamenting this as if they’re so weak IRL they can’t handle any kind of up sell. Get a grip.
Yep I'm surprised people here can even walk into any store and come out without having bought every item in the store thanks to sales staff "harassing" them lol.

"Hi do you need a hand?"

"No thanks"

...goes to buy game...

"Would you like to buy our product x warranty?"

"No thanks"

Done. Got some seriously weak willed people in here.

Kokoloko85

Like I said there gonna have a motive for you to buy an xbox instead of PS5 Lol. And it got downplayed/

I can imagine the Staff: “But how about an Xbox instead?.... Please?“

MrFunSocks

Banned
Like I said there gonna have a motive for you to buy an xbox instead of PS5 Lol. And it got downplayed/

I can imagine the Staff: “But how about an Xbox instead?.... Please?“
But if you want to buy a PS5 just buy a PS5. How does them saying "hey have you considered an Xbox?" a problem?

sainraja

Yep I'm surprised people here can even walk into any store and come out without having bought every item in the store thanks to sales staff "harassing" them lol.

"Hi do you need a hand?"

"No thanks"

...goes to buy game...

"No thanks"

People are discussing how much influence this can have on people due to the push the sales people will make. They can definitely have an influence on purchasing decisions for quite a few people. I think you already do understand that though.
But if you want to buy a PS5 just buy a PS5. How does them saying "hey have you considered an Xbox?" a problem?

It's funny how you're pretending not to know why it is a problem. 😅

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
People are discussing how much influence this can have on people due to the push the sales people will make. They can definitely have an influence on purchasing decisions for quite a few people. I think you already do understand that though.

It's funny how you're pretending not to know why it is a problem. 😅
It's a made up problem. I've never been talked into buying something I didn't want to because an employee of the store tried to upsell it to me. If you do then you've got problems. If you're influenced by salesmen when you've already decided what you want, that's a you problem. Take some personal responsibility for your actions.

Izumar

Banned
Remember when the all digital version of the xbox one was coming out, Microsoft talked about having the ability to trade in used games for a digital code. I'm sure it is unlikely but I feel like this kind of opens the door for that. I would love to see that happen.

I just can't see how it would be profitable. I would exploit it massively with bargain bin games.

I don't care so long as if I go in to buy a game on PS5 they don't waste my time by trying to get me to buy it on Xbox instead.

93xfan

Banned
So they are bribing retail staff to not be impartial in their advice? Sounds like a great pro-consumer move by both MS and GameStop.

It's also just weird, I can see this making sense in the short term but does nobody at GameStop plan to have a job in 10 years time? they need to pivot hard, Microsoft might need them now, but once people get used to these all-digital consoles Microsoft isn't going to throw them a bone for the next generation of consoles.

-shutting down servers within 2 years
-killing off Socom
-no free next gen upgrades
-$70 first party titles
-$70 controllers and no ability to use PS4 controllers with PS5 version of cross gen games
-locking out 3rd party controller makers
-lying about generations
-Not even PS1 or PS2 BC

VS

-Gamepass
-16 AF, auto HDR, full clocks BC
-upped frame rates and 4K for some BC games
-Smart Delivery
-free first party upgrades (ex: Gears 5 with beyond PC ultra settings)
-$60 first party games
-BC spanning all generations of Xbox

All GameStop has to do is inform customers of the facts. Seems pretty easy to me.

rapid32.5

So Phil saves Reggie's ass.
PracticalGrippingCanine-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

InDaGulag

So they are bribing retail staff to not be impartial in their advice? Sounds like a great pro-consumer move by both MS and GameStop.

It's capitalism. Companies will be as ruthless as they can be in the name of profit, as long as it's within the legal limits set by the law. Gamestop is under no obligation to be fair to all 3 platforms. Microsoft saw Gamestop was in a terrible position and offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.

wolffy71

Banned
I cant remember what site i was reading about this on a few days ago. But anyway they were saying that they heard or thought that gamestop was negotiating similar deals with sony and nintendo.

InDaGulag

I cant remember what site i was reading about this on a few days ago. But anyway they were saying that they heard or thought that gamestop was negotiating similar deals with sony and nintendo.

It's their only quick solution to ease off bankruptcy. Any other solution, like say selling PC parts, would require remodeling their stores and their product selection. Which takes time and money. Something they don't have a lot of right now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

"Hi do you need a hand?"

"No thanks"

...goes to buy game...

"No thanks"

Ha, they must not be drinking the cool aid where you are. Last time I was in a gamestop (ebagmes), I swear I was approached 3 times with subtle but not unsubtle attempts to upsell, then 2 or 3 more times at the till. It was brutal, and they were even half decent at trying to hide it. Similar to the airplane scene.....lol

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's capitalism. Companies will be as ruthless as they can be in the name of profit, as long as it's within the legal limits set by the law. Gamestop is under no obligation to be fair to all 3 platforms. Microsoft saw Gamestop was in a terrible position and offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.
There's nothing ruthless about this, though. Companies pay to have their products front and center in retail all the time. Grocery stores get kickbacks for those soft drink and potato chip displays at the front of the store. This is like that.

Microsoft needs to get as many devices out there that can use gamepass as possible for their revenue model to work and this is a way to do that. Gamestop needs a way to find a place in a games market that's going digital. I think in the long run it's not going to turn gamestop around but it could help them stabilize enough to get funding to finance other transformation.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
It's not. It's literally Gamestop moving their internal services over to microsoft services like azure and teams and dynamics and office 365. They literally say this in the press release lol.

Oh just saw the last little bit of your post in brackets...........yeah this isn't worth it.

Still believing blindly in a press release?

:messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_fire:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I think it's safe to say there's going to be plenty of Series S's in stock at GameStop ready to go come launch day.

Cato

Banned

When their future employment depends on convincing you to buy an XBox instead of a "whatever else" it becomes a problem.

I see this symbiosis between MS (healthy company) and GS (company knocking on deaths door) as
"it rubs the lotion on it's skin". No matter what happens, GS will not come out winning from this situation.

Last edited:
If other gamestop employees feel the way the ones at the store I go to do this isn't going to help much, they were laughing it off and calling it stupid.

zombrex

It is a genius move and very reasonable. It is win win for everyone involved. MS is making much more profit from digital sales due to no retailer margin and no production or transport costs, so giving game stop a few bucks from each sale is still a net gain on profit earned. This keeps the retailer happy and gives them an incentive actually sell your product because they make next to nothing on the console. People calling this bribery are ridiculous, this is adaptation to the realities of the increase in digital adaption. Don't be surprised when it announced Sony has a similar agreement in place with some of it's major partners.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Its for the mummas and papas etc who have no idea and want to buy a console. Persuasive staff lol.
Lets stop Pretending that it won’t happen.

I remember My local Game UK Staff member trying a hard xbox one sale on me when they launched in 2013 because he was a xbox fanboy... Saying there is no power difference And this and that. Heard him saying the same to a couple of customers.

I wrote an Email to Game and Playstation about Him

lmao they just shutdown all their Microsoft stores. I very highly doubt they would do that.

Phone subscriptions get sold in stores. You need retail outlet where you meet the person and verify credentials before you offer console on $25 / month basis which is basically a loan.

It could be a strategy, GameStop is loosing value due to console manufacturers only. They might want to pick it up for cheap.

djjinx2

Smart business move, but man - shitty customer move. Given the terrible up-selling I endure whenever I go into one of these stores, I really hope they're not gonna start pulling shit like "Why are you getting a PlayStation? Xbox is much better, here's this handy flyer". Not a fan of this move at all.

Game UK used to do this for PlayStation. It's happened to me a couple 9f times

-shutting down servers within 2 years
-killing off Socom
-no free next gen upgrades
-$70 first party titles
-$70 controllers and no ability to use PS4 controllers with PS5 version of cross gen games
-locking out 3rd party controller makers
-lying about generations
-Not even PS1 or PS2 BC

VS

-Gamepass
-16 AF, auto HDR, full clocks BC
-upped frame rates and 4K for some BC games
-Smart Delivery
-free first party upgrades (ex: Gears 5 with beyond PC ultra settings)
-$60 first party games
-BC spanning all generations of Xbox

All GameStop has to do is inform customers of the facts. Seems pretty easy to me.
The Voost is strong in you fraaaand. You can almost hear your junk stiffen as you pop off gamepass.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

MS has money to burn, but specialty brick and mortar is dying. This will only slightly delay the inevitable. Might as well just rebrand GS to the MS Store, and push MS products only, ala Apple Stores. Offer in-store tech support too. It gives MS a large number of retail storefronts to pick and chose from, and they can close all the others. But I guess this wasn't an outright purchase.

Rubik8

So now I have no reason to ever go into a GameStop. They will be pushing a box and a service I don’t want. And I thought it was pathetic before with their sales strategies.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hey where are all you dimwits you insisted the deal was "just some point of sale software"? Many of us called this a week ago and got bizarrely written off as fanboys.

Anyone who thought Microsoft would sign a multi million £££ deal over x amount of years for delivery of infrastructrue, hardware and back end services with tie risk that gamestop carried at the time has no idea about anything.

I wonder if the revenue increase has incentives as well, liked reduced quarterly payments, refinancing etc. if projections are met. That would be balanced against peformance based revenue metrics like branch sales. If you're selling PS5 easy, then it makes sense to push them, unless the benefits are better to push xbox. The branch could potentially perform worse in a quarter financially but stimulate upticks in growth. I'm not convinced it will work, but it's an interesting play.

CeeJay

If other gamestop employees feel the way the ones at the store I go to do this isn't going to help much, they were laughing it off and calling it stupid.
I'm sure that would change pretty damn fast if there was commission incentives involved for sales employees.

Florin4k4

Kind of funny everyone lamenting this as if they’re so weak IRL they can’t handle any kind of up sell. Get a grip.

On the plus, everyone who was “genuinely” concerned about poor Timmys grandma being confused about which Xbox to get can rest easy, as GameStop now have every incentive to explain it to them.

“hello ma’am,
Would you like to buy Timmy the cheapest console or the most powerful?”

Flintty

Gotta say, it’s a clever strategy. Big brain thinking from MS. They are really pushing things for next gen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The hate towards Gamestop is always amusing as I really haven't found them to be any better or worse than any other retailer in recent years. The Xbox Series X is really the last major purchase I got from them and can't recall buying a single thing from them since. Crazy.

The funny thing is that I found Gamestop to be infinitely more annoying in the PS2/Xbox/GCN era. I was constantly getting harassed and told outright lies by their staff. I still remember being told Halo 2 is gonna be so big that they were going to look into taking 2nd day pre-orders. Which was absurd.

Roxkis_ii

If game stop went or almost went bankrupt because people didn't want to shop there, how is having employees push xbox stuff gonna make people shop there more....??

This is bacisly turning game stops into mini Microsoft stores and they just closed all of Microsoft store in June.

So, MS own stores didn't work out, so they invested in another store that's was about to close to make it basicly like the store they just closed.

I feel like this wasn't thought thru all the way.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If game stop went or almost went bankrupt because people didn't want to shop there, how is having employees push xbox stuff gonna make people shop there more....??

This is bacisly turning game stops into mini Microsoft stores and they just closed all of Microsoft store in June.

So, MS own stores didn't work out, so they invested in another store that's was about to close to make it basicly like the store they just closed.

I feel like this wasn't thought thru all the way.
The difference is that the stores aren't exclusively selling Microsoft stuff and licensed accessories, they're simply promoting Xbox consoles for a cut Of the action. It's not even close to the same thing.

Ten_Fold

Gamestop employees will be like:
So if you buy an Xbox series X you can play all of your old Xbox 360 games, with gamepass!
Anyways this is a great approach, they saved GameStop will pushing out more games.

lmao they just shutdown all their Microsoft stores. I very highly doubt they would do that.
Did they officially shut them ALL down? (Genuinely asking). I used to stop in the one in Mall of America all the time to say hi to a friend who works there. Then covid shut everything down. I've only been back to MoA a few times since it reopened; and, while all the stuff is still in the Microsoft store, i haven't seen it open yet. I was beginning to wonder if it was reopening at all.

I could ask my friend but haven't yet. I keep forgetting.

Top Bottom