• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop employees told they may need to open early or stay late during E3...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I really think this is hardware, not software related.

Sticking with my prediction that Nintendo will announce a megaton Wii U price drop right before E3 starts to $99.

With third parties basically abandoning the system, Nintendo needs to start moving systems and getting them in homes for that install base to grow and start the process of getting third parties to consider coming back on.

Maybe a ps4 price drop, a new shipment comes in and sells out moments after they announce the price drop or maybe free ps+ (discounted lime bf maybe)

Metallix87

Sticking with my prediction that Nintendo will announce a megaton Wii U price drop right before E3 starts to $99.

With third parties basically abandoning the system, Nintendo needs to start moving systems and getting them in homes for that install base to grow and start the process of getting third parties to consider coming back on.

Dropping the price by $200 would be insane. Financial suicide.

Geoseis

Banned
I am really struggling with the idea of this being anything software related. Especially in the Amazon, Newegg age where we ship everything. Would suck for those who buy games through those avenues because they would need to wait and have no chance for pre-orders.

UberTag

Gamestop: The Game created by the devs that made Papers, Please. The goal is to keep bothering the customer with Trade In Promo's, asking for Pre-Orders, and Game Informer subscriptions. Bonus Points if you get the customer to knock over a rack on their way out.

:X
In retrospect, a Papers, Please-style game where you play a disgruntled store clerk in a game retailer could be a lot of fun.

I sometimes wonder who those people are that hear crazy things during elections and believe them and e-mail crazy urban legends to their relatives because they're just that excitable and can't be bothered to think for a moment about what they're saying or believe.

And then I realize, oh yeah, they're those people I see on message boards, just about different things.

Third parties coming back to the Wii U?

haha

Hawk269

Maybe the next XBOne SKU?

Don't think it would be that. I have some retail contacts and they have had the $399.99 systems for over a week, but obviously not allowed to sell and the price has been set. The only thing I can think of is that something will be available that would make them stay later or open earlier. If it is a game, it has not shipped yet as my contacts said no new games have arrived as of today.

There are rumors of the price cuts on the 360/PS3, but after all these years, not sure if that will dictate opening earlier or staying open longer, unless they go down an absurd amount. A $50.00 price cut is not going drive massive crowds.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Dropping the price by $200 would be insane. Financial suicide.

How about for a "limited time only" type promotion though? Let's say Nintendo announces a special "one time price cut" on June 9 for the Wii U systems to $99 and the promotion ends when E3 ends on June 12 or at the end of the week.

It wouldn't be a permanent price cut but a price cut so good that you'd be crazy not to buy a system. IMHO $99 is that price.

Could be the rumuored Halo remastered pack
As good as the last of us is its not a game to extend trading hours by.....it's either gta/halo/cod/bf related

Duxxy3

How about for a "limited time only" type promotion though? Let's say Nintendo announces a special "one time price cut" on June 9 for the Wii U systems to $99 and the promotion ends when E3 ends on June 12 or at the end of the week.

It wouldn't be a permanent price cut but a price cut so good that you'd be crazy not to buy a system. IMHO $99 is that price.

Nobody would ever buy the system above $99 after that special promotion.

Cody_D165

Banned
Nintendo will announce a megaton Wii U price drop right before E3 starts to $99

1403.gif

Radec

99 is still too high.

Should be free.

Haines

Banned

No.cheap he means nothing but more loss to Nintendo. They will just abandon it and move on when its time is up.

0racle

I really don't see it being TLOU due to the fact that even though it is a remake that no doubt some people are excited about, it does not mean EVERYONE is excited about it.

Most of us here are far more into gaming/gaming news than I would say 95% of general "gamers" out there so the hype surrounding this title does not represent the overall demand for it.

-its a year old game that arguably many people have played
-its a remake that we have yet to see any gameplay to get excited about
-most people don't even know what E3 is, let alone watch live streams on it

I could make the list go on and on but you get the point im trying to make here. Gamespot would not schedule early/late hours for a game that right now has no forcast of demand for them.

Knowing this I could not even take a guess as to what It could be.

but since its gamespot I bet its some sort of pre order deal with trade ins, giving huge credits for most if not all of the games shown at E3 in order to not only generate pre order revenue, but money from trades.

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a second. Lets say there is something we open early/close late for (even though I 100% believe we wont). It would have to be megaton level "oh and one more thing" conference closer. The only conference in that position is Sony because every GameStop is open during the end off all the other conferences.

I find this a little hard to believe. Gamestop is SUPER strict when it comes to employees' hours, scheduling and pay in general. Each store would have to fumble with staffing is they are going to open earlier, stay later for a few days.

Price cuts everywhere

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm gonna play devils advocate for a second. Lets say there is something we open early/close late for (even though I 100% believe we wont). It would have to be megaton level "oh and one more thing" conference closer. The only conference in that position is Sony because every GameStop is open during the end off all the other conferences.

...unless it really is Smash 3DS and it's announced at the end of the Smash 4 invitational event

/conspiracytheories

SDCowboy

*strokes beard in thought*

big_z

It won't be a surprise release or anything like that because hardware/software would have arrived at stores by now.

Most likely an E3 exclusive preorder promo related to halo or cod.

LogN

This seems like a regional or local district thing. I'm a GameStop manager and did not here this directive.

Karak

Ya none of the managers here have been asked or have any indication it would happen.

If it was Gamestop wide it would be more than 1 sale on one system. Maybe if they got wind of a couple of price drops, 360(due), WiiU(due), and PS3(due) that might cause this.

*strokes beard in thought*
Quote says open early as well not just stay late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom