• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Series X|S drop on June 16th seems to be way bigger than launch

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I came, I saw, I Lockharted...
9dsCOHp.jpg

nvdp3cy.gif

There was about 20 people waiting in line, and I think I was the only person after a Series S. Everybody else was after the 8 remaining Series X units.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seeing a ton of "I finally got one" posts all over the social mediaz.

Congrats to everyone who managed to scoop up a new Xbox.

LOLCats

Banned
For right now start with the free 15 day code for ultimate game pass.
well you know he might want to take advantage of that one time conversion of live gold to gamepass for a dollar.. by a year of gold and convert it or buy three years and convert it

ManaByte

So I drove to the GameStop near where I was getting my car worked on this morning.. it was at the opening, and there were like 20 people in line. So I said fuck that. So then an hour and a half later on my way to do some errands, I drive by another GameStop and didn't think i'd be able to get one but I did. They said they didn't get much traffic. Here I am

PXL_20210616_172849139.jpg

Now where do I start with gamepass? Any tips or deals?
Bill Murray Reaction GIF

Last edited:
well you know he might want to take advantage of that one time conversion of live gold to gamepass for a dollar.. by a year of gold and convert it or buy three years and convert it
Well Yea, Thing is I've used up my own 1 dollar conversion and now it won't let me add all these 15 day trial codes. I'm being billed monthly the way microsoft would probly want everyone to be doing eventually:(

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Well Yea, Thing is I've used up my own 1 dollar conversion and now it won't let me add all these 15 day trial codes. So I now have several of these cards with codes and can't use em now. :(
ah yep, trials dont work on previous gamepass accounts.

check slickdeals, you can likely find some discounted gamepass there.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got a 3 months for a buck.

Currently downloading:

Alien Isolation
Call of The Sea
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Forza 4
Gears 5
All the other gears games
All the halos
Ori
Prey
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza Like A Dragon

Any other suggestions?
First thing I'm going to do is buy digital copies of Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, and KOTOR.

Then get Yakuza LAD. So yeah, I think you're good lol.

Lots of good indie games, like Cyber Ninja, or Streets of Rage 4 up there too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Currently downloading:

Alien Isolation
Call of The Sea
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Forza 4
Gears 5
All the halos
Ori
Prey
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza Like A Dragon

Any other suggestions?
Sea of Thieves
Plague Tale
Battletoads
Carrion
Cross Code
Desperados III
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Gears Tactics
Narita Boy
NieR Automata
Octopath Traveler

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So I drove to the GameStop near where I was getting my car worked on this morning.. it was at the opening, and there were like 20 people in line. So I said fuck that. So then an hour and a half later on my way to do some errands, I drive by another GameStop and didn't think i'd be able to get one but I did. They said they didn't get much traffic. Here I am

I still love the way they packaged this thing.

The way it's just sitting there perched on its throne when you first open it, really gives it a premium feel. Some of the most clever packaging I've seen for any product.

elliot5

Currently downloading:

Alien Isolation
Call of The Sea
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Forza 4
Gears 5
All the halos
Ori
Prey
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza Like A Dragon

Any other suggestions?
A Plague Tale. Yakuza 0. Descenders. Sea of Thieves (if you have friends or are fine with randos), or just to have eye candy. Psychonauts. Hades. Knockout City.

Saucy Papi

I have no need for a XSX (have a PC) but I give major props to Microsoft for pumping these out at a faster rate. Been dealing with Sony's bullshit attempting to get a PS5 and it is absolutely fucking aggravating to the point where I don't even care. Ratchet and Clank can go eat a dick, I'll wait till these things are on store shelves and discounted.
Seriously, I have 100% given up on getting a PS5. I've tried everything. Discord, HotStock, etc... And I haven't even come close once. I'm a PC gamer like you and I guess I'll just have to wait until their exclusives come to PC to play them 🤷

Seriously, I have 100% given up on getting a PS5. I've tried everything. Discord, HotStock, etc... And I haven't even come close once. I'm a PC gamer like you and I guess I'll just have to wait until their exclusives come to PC to play them 🤷
I haven't had any issue on like 4 of the last drops. I've gotten them for two cousins, a friend from an old job and a friend from growing up. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

Saucy Papi

I haven't had any issue on like 4 of the last drops. I've gotten them for two cousins, a friend from an old job and a friend from growing up. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.
Yes, you have! I thought I'd gotten lucky because I got into the queue with Sony but they ran out when I got to the front. Oh well, I ended up ordering a custom PC from CyberpowerPC and it's held me over so far.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Currently downloading:

Alien Isolation
Call of The Sea
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Forza 4
Gears 5
All the halos
Ori
Prey
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza Like A Dragon

Any other suggestions?
Plague tale and gears Tactics.

THEAP99

Banned
I still love the way they packaged this thing.

The way it's just sitting there perched on its throne when you first open it, really gives it a premium feel. Some of the most clever packaging I've seen for any product.
Yeah the packaging was a lot better than the egg holders on the ps5. But at first I thought didn't come with a controller because I couldn't fucking find it lol

Dr Bass

I think we are gonna have more Xbox consoles now considering that they said they almost finished with server blades
Didn't they say they expected the shortage to end around June? That would tie in perfectly with this ...

Any sites have them online? I really don't want to go into a Gamestop at all ... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Holy shit, boys!

Got home from work, peak at NeoGAF, read the thread, and decided to give all the GameStops in my area a call. All stores were sold out except the last store I called. Turns out this store got the most in the area with a little over twenty Series X (only found this out by the manager afterward). Now a happy owner of a new Series X.

Still want a PS5, but the reality is, like many of you, there's just no way in hell I'm going to be able to get one. The store manager where I got my Series X told me to not even bother for a while. He believes that his store probably won't even get a PS5 till the fall. Yikes. In the meantime I will be plenty happy with this system and Game Pass.

Now I just need a new TV to go with it. Will not be setting up the console without a kick-ass new television first. The basic 42' Panasonic LCD will be moved to our bedroom to make room for a possible 55' C1 LG OLED. Will be thinking about something a little less expensive if it catches my eye but I seriously doubt it. Still worried about burn-in a bit, although I've done my research on how to mitigate that as much as possible. Just have to wait for my next Saturday off to make my final decision. Anyone have any TV thoughts?

Last edited:

ManaByte

I know they make a lot of Xboxes in Mexico. I wonder if producing them in North America is why MS is able to do big drops like this easier than Sony can.

I will second everyone saying to download A Plague Tale, it's freaking awesome. I also highly recommend the two Ori games if you haven't played them as they are some of the best 2d style games I've played in many years, Gears Tactics if you like XCOM style games, Wasteland 3 as my favorite RPG from last year, and Outer wilds for one of my favorite trippy indie games.

elliot5

Holy shit, boys!

Got home from work, peak at NeoGAF, read the thread, and decided to give all the GameStops in my area a call. All stores were sold out except the last store I called. Turns out this store got the most in the area with a little over twenty Series X (only found this out by the manager afterward). Now a happy owner of a new Series X.

Still want a PS5, but the reality is, like many of you, there's just no way in hell I'm going to be able to get one. The store manager where I got my Series X told me to not even bother for a while. He believes that his store probably won't even get a PS5 till the fall. Yikes. In the meantime I will be plenty happy with this system and Game Pass.

Now I just need a new TV to go with it. Will not be setting up the console without a kick-ass new television first. The basic 42' Panasonic LCD will be moved to our bedroom to make room for a possible 55' C1 LG OLED. Will be thinking about something a little less expensive if it catches my eye but I seriously doubt it. Still worried about burn-in a bit, although I've done my research on how to mitigate that as much as possible. Just have to wait for my next Saturday off to make my final decision. Anyone have any TV thoughts?
If it's in the budget, get the OLED unless you can find a CX still for cheaper. It's got everything you'd need.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I still have the card that came with my launch day Series X.

But pretty sure you can get your first 3 month of Gamepass for $1.00 yet no?

Dr Bass

I know they make a lot of Xboxes in Mexico. I wonder if producing them in North America is why MS is able to do big drops like this easier than Sony can.
Based on the sales numbers, what on earth leads you to believe this (Hint: Sony is "dropping" way more product into N.A.)?

I just don't understand this willful disconnect from reality.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Currently downloading:

Alien Isolation
Call of The Sea
Dishonored 2
Doom Eternal
Forza 4
Gears 5
All the halos
Ori
Prey
Sunset Overdrive
Yakuza Like A Dragon

Any other suggestions?

Thats a great list to start.

If you happen to have an HDMI 2.1 TV play Ori at 4k 120fps :)

PWZgaCf.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

If using a headset... buy the Atmos license.

I had no card with my console. I just logged in with my account and it said "get 3 months of Gamepass for 1€" without any codes or anything.
Was concerned that it wasn't included. Good to know. (y)
Thats a great list to start.

If you happen to have an HDMI 2.1 TV play Ori at 4k 120fps :)

PWZgaCf.jpg
What you game on? OLED? Just curious.
Congratulations to everyone who was able to snag this awesome machine.
Still can't believe I managed to snag one. LG OLED is next on the list.

HoofHearted

If you live in the US - go to Costco - buy Xbox live/Gold cards on discount. Use those to buy up to 3 years of XBLG. (~$120-150)

Then convert the XBLG to GPU for $1

Usually I play on OLED but this picture was taken on my Sony X900H
How's playing on your OLED? I plan on getting a 55' C1 from LG. I do worry about burn-in and Best Buy's extended warrantee does cover it for five years if I pay that premium. I have a $100 gift card so the total will come to about $1900. Kind of a lot but is it all worth it?

Anyone here have an OLED and have purchased the extended warrantee through Best Buy?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How's playing on your OLED? I plan on getting a 55' C1 from LG. I do worry about burn-in and Best Buy's extended warrantee does cover it for five years if I pay that premium. I have a $100 gift card so the total will come to about $1900. Kind of a lot but is it all worth it?

Anyone here have an OLED and have purchased the extended warrantee through Best Buy?

To me its the best display to game on period.

I don't do it for extended times because I do worry about burn in thats the main reason I bought that Sony X900H

Ulysses 31

LG now has 5 year warranty on their G1 and Z1 line.

Kagey K

Banned

I’ve had my C9 for a couple years and no burn in to be found. There’s a bunch of settings on newer oled tvs like pixel shift and whatnot to mitigate burn in.

I was worried at first, but then just started using it like any other tv I had before. The issue is so minor now it’s not even worth entertaining. Just use some of the recommended settings online and don’t blow the colors out and you’ll be fine.

It’s hard to watch other TVs after getting accustomed the the C9 and my series X.

Best Buy warranty in Canada sucks so I didn’t bother with it, US Best Buy is so much easier deal with as far as returns and exchanges through warranty go.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
I went to the GameStop at 34st in NYC to pick up another Series X and they had 20 series x 8 series S. While online they handed out tickets to the first 20 people and then said inorder to buy the series X you HAVE to buy 2 games in-store . Me and a few others grabbed 360 games but apparently GameStop said on Twitter this was supposed to be a NON bundle sale.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I went to the GameStop at 34st in NYC to pick up another Series X and they has 20 . While online they handed out tickets to the first 20 people and then said inorder to buy the series X you HAVE to buy 2 games in-store . Me and a few others grabbed 360 games but apparently GameStop said on Twitter this was supposed to be a NON bundle sale.

Thats a pretty shitty tactic

But its Gamestop

Top Bottom