• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop Series X|S drop on June 16th seems to be way bigger than launch

Foilz

Banned
I thought MS changed it so that you get less gpu if you buy xbl gold?

Also does this mean you would have to open a new gpu accou t to get the 3yrs worth or can you use it on your current account ?

Gotta say, the S looks sooooooo much better than the ps5.

I believe the stories about Japanese consumers preferring the smaller system.

efGDJm7.jpg

elliot5

Also does this mean you would have to open a new gpu accou t to get the 3yrs worth or can you use it on your current account ?
No. You get the full 1:1 as long as you have no active GPU sub. You only get the conversion table if you are adding a code if Gold or EA Play to your existing sub.

EA Play to GPU was reduced.

reinking

Gold Member
I went to the GameStop at 34st in NYC to pick up another Series X and they had 20 series x 8 series S. While online they handed out tickets to the first 20 people and then said inorder to buy the series X you HAVE to buy 2 games in-store . Me and a few others grabbed 360 games but apparently GameStop said on Twitter this was supposed to be a NON bundle sale.
That was a shit manger or most likely shit DM trying to pump up numbers. Call the customer service number and report them.

Foilz

Banned
No. You get the full 1:1 as long as you have no active GPU sub. You only get the conversion table if you are adding a code if Gold or EA Play to your existing sub.

EA Play to GPU was reduced.
So you have to cancel your sub and then do it not create a whole new account . Ok ty

PhaseJump

Banned

Kagey K

Banned
I went to the GameStop at 34st in NYC to pick up another Series X and they had 20 series x 8 series S. While online they handed out tickets to the first 20 people and then said inorder to buy the series X you HAVE to buy 2 games in-store . Me and a few others grabbed 360 games but apparently GameStop said on Twitter this was supposed to be a NON bundle sale.
That sounds like some bullshit some shady store manager put in for that location.

As more consoles get stocked and sold, why don't stores continue to pre order so people can expect when they'll realistically get one? "you're 300th in line and we get 5 a month, you're looking at Dec 2023 at best."

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Hope people weren't lining up outside, this heatwave is killer today.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I hope Sony to sorts it out too. It's too difficult getting a PS5. Wii launch was atrocious too but not at that level...

Mattyp

Gold Member

Just EA Access since that now comes with Ultimate and there was a conversion loophole there with how cheap EA was I believe. Load up on 3 years of gold and convert and enjoy.

I have no need for a XSX (have a PC) but I give major props to Microsoft for pumping these out at a faster rate. Been dealing with Sony's bullshit attempting to get a PS5 and it is absolutely fucking aggravating to the point where I don't even care. Ratchet and Clank can go eat a dick, I'll wait till these things are on store shelves and discounted.
Hasn't PS5 outsold Xbox Series worldwide over 2 to 1 so far? Both are sold out completely, meaning Sony has managed to produce more units so far.

Neither is coming close to meeting demand. But, there are several very good reasons for that between chip shortages and a global pandemic.

To me its the best display to game on period.

I don't do it for extended times because I do worry about burn in thats the main reason I bought that Sony X900H
I guess that's a pretty good idea, but I'm honestly not impressed with the full array LED sets out there. I keep holding out hope but always come away disappointed. Once I see blooming, I cannot un-see it. Also local dimming always takes a hit when in game mode across all brands. Other issues, like the much cheaper brand of full array televisions, have reliability issues. Samsung typically charges too much and applies incorrect tone mapping even in game mode. Sony on the other hand, plays things too conservative with their full array sets and needs to stop dragging their feet when it comes to VRR.
LG now has 5 year warranty on their G1 and Z1 line.
Unfortunately not for their C1 line. If I purchase the five year warrantee from Best Buy the price almost equals out to a G1. Thing is, LG's new warrantee isn't so clear on burn-in like Best Buy.
I’ve had my C9 for a couple years and no burn in to be found. There’s a bunch of settings on newer oled tvs like pixel shift and whatnot to mitigate burn in.

I was worried at first, but then just started using it like any other tv I had before. The issue is so minor now it’s not even worth entertaining. Just use some of the recommended settings online and don’t blow the colors out and you’ll be fine.

It’s hard to watch other TVs after getting accustomed the the C9 and my series X.

Best Buy warranty in Canada sucks so I didn’t bother with it, US Best Buy is so much easier deal with as far as returns and exchanges through warranty go.
How often do you game on it? Do you use the logo detection? I've read if you leave it on high it will dim the whole screen but on low it should be fine.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hasn't PS5 outsold Xbox Series worldwide over 2 to 1 so far? Both are sold out completely, meaning Sony has managed to produce more units so far.

Neither is coming close to meeting demand. But, there are several very good reasons for that between chip shortages and a global pandemic.

MS doesn't release numbers. So VGChartz estimates are full of shit.

Kagey K

Banned
How often do you game on it? Do you use the logo detection? I've read if you leave it on high it will dim the whole screen but on low it should be fine.
I game on it daily (or very close to daily)

Logo setting is on low. It’s been on for 9883 hours, and 75% of that time has been me or my gf playing games.

Still looks just as good today’s as when I bought it.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if MS found a way to get more stick out faster than Sony. Sony said there would be supply issues until next year.
No idea if that's the case.

What I do know is, Microsoft's GameStop partnership is working out pretty damn well. Not having to fight bots and scalpers is a god damn blessing. Now that the pandemic is slowing down, retailers are more willing to carry in-store it seems. Huge win for Xbox. Seems like many stores are getting around twenty or more units. Just walk in and ask is one of the reasons why I've got it.

PhaseJump

Banned
Good Lord, son... you didn't leave his family anything to bury.

A console warrior that broadcasts a nervous breakdown of such magnitude due to Sony publishing it's games on PC is probably volatile enough to completely vaporize himself, once he realizes the Xbox he just bought is backed by a company that also publishes it's games on PC, at a faster rate.

WearyThoroughGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

How's playing on your OLED? I plan on getting a 55' C1 from LG. I do worry about burn-in and Best Buy's extended warrantee does cover it for five years if I pay that premium. I have a $100 gift card so the total will come to about $1900. Kind of a lot but is it all worth it?

Anyone here have an OLED and have purchased the extended warrantee through Best Buy?
I have a C6 OLED and my estimate is that have put around 2500 hours of gaming and 1500 hours of TV since I got it (total power on time is almost 4100 hours) and I have had no problems with burn in at all. I play lots of different games though, so it might be different if you play just one game all the time which has static menus/maps/etc.....

Hawk269

For all new owners, keep an eye out on sales of 3 month Game Pass Cards. Last holiday, they went on sale for (as far as I remember) 1/2 off their normal price. I bought about like 18 of them and then redeemed them and have Game Pass paid up until Xmas 2022.

Blond

Banned
Is call corporate, that sounds like a store desperate to boost attach numbers!

Havoc2049

I picked up a Series X myself. Beat Battletoads and really enjoyed my time! Now going for 1000GS in Medium. WIll go back to Battletoads over the next week or so to knock out the rest of those achievements.

Any underrated titles that I should check out from Xbox's past? Preferably physical?
Check out Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black and Crimson Skies from the OG Xbox days.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Check out Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black and Crimson Skies from the OG Xbox.

Is Orta available digitally? Seems pretty expensive physical. Would at least like to try it out before comitting to that kind of price.

Also how different is Gaiden Black from the various re-releases?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great play by MS. They must have had stock sat waiting to go for after E3. Sure, it will just be a burst of numbers for one month but still a strong plan to hopefully help drive their narrative for this generation in the US.

Havoc2049

Is Orta available digitally? Seems pretty expensive physical. Would at least like to try it out before comitting to that kind of price.

Also how different is Gaiden Black from the various re-releases?
All the OG backwards compatible games are available digitally. The Sigma collection that just came out is a blurry mess and the majority of Ninja Gaiden fans prefer the original games over the Sigma versions. Numerous minor with a few major changes changes and dumbing down to Sigma that make Black the best version of the game, especially on the Series S/X.

Black VS Sigma on Series X

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
All the OG backwards compatible games are available digitally. The Sigma collection that just came out is a blurry mess and the majority of Ninja Gaiden fans prefer the original games over the Sigma versions. Numerous minor with a few major changes changes and dumbing down to Sigma that make Black the best version of the game, especially on the Series S/X.

Black VS Sigma on Series X

Oh, interesting! Will definitely give both a try then. I loved Sigma so I will be happy to see a different version of the game :D

ZywyPL

Banned
So, Microsoft finally fully stocked their needs for upgrading xCloud blades, so they can stock the stores...

I wonder how big of an investment those new xCloud servers really where, what's the quantities we're talking about, because really, they want to support mobiles, laptops, PCs, and even older XB consoles with it, they'll need to be able to support millions of users if they want to fulfill their plan, so the question is are they now ready to do so, or wat it too early and unnecessary and they should've focus on delivering more home consoles instead?

I picked up a Series X myself. Beat Battletoads and really enjoyed my time! Now going for 1000GS in Medium. WIll go back to Battletoads over the next week or so to knock out the rest of those achievements.

Any underrated titles that I should check out from Xbox's past? Preferably physical?
How far in the past? Haha. They may have a had a pretty poor showing from first parties over the last gen, but the highlights for me would be Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Halo:MCC (Which is now brilliant by the way), Gears, and Forza Horizon 3 & 4. Those would be most of the retail first party games that I would recommend. Of course if you are willing to go back even further you should check out some of the backwards compatible games that they enhanced, but that list is a little too long.....:messenger_beaming:

anthony2690

Banned

Not under rated, but ori will of the wisps is a must play (if you enjoy metroidvania games)

Genuinely one of my favourite games ever. (also on switch and pc though)

Recore I really enjoyed recently with it's fps boost, playing through it at 60fps was a joy. (I would really like to see Microsoft return to this IP) I personally feel it is under rated (I am sure many will not agree though) XD

Sunset Overdrive is insanely fun too.

Panzer Dragoon Orta looks stunning still, despite being an original xbox game. (4k on one x & series x)

Lost Odyssey (the best final fantasy game imo, it is like the older ff games, by the creator of ff)

Last edited:

Bridges

Crackdown! The original now runs at 4K on an X and still holds up. I also really liked Crackdown 3 (despite all the negativity around it), if you have fun with 1 and want more then definitely give it a try too (you can skip 2, 2 is pretty awful and didn't get any of the enhancements).

If you're into JRPGs, Blue Dragon is pretty great, pretty much an old-school Final Fantasy games with some neat twists, the job system is especially cool in how diverse you can make your party.

If you like WRPGs, the Fable games are great and still hold up. 1 is a classic, 2 probably holds up the best, and 3 is a really fun time (again, despite all the negativity around it), albeit a little bit dialed back from what you were allowed to do in 2.

And since I'm assuming you had a Playstation before this, you probably like or have at least played Insomniac games before. Definitely try Sunset Overdrive, the traversal system is pretty unique and once you get the hang of it can be really fun just moving around the world.

Finally, I'll say that if you're into the cinematic third person shooter type game, then Quantum Break was a lot better than it's often given credit for. A lot of its ideas were refined and improved upon in Control, but there's some neat stuff in there that's worth checking out, and the live action episodes are saved by Lance Reddick, who really does an incredible job breathing life into his scenes.

These are all available physically (probably for pretty cheap too), but if digital isn't a total dealbreaker then these are all also available through Game Pass.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Does Microsoft still convert 3 years of your gold to Gamepass when you do the dollar trial?

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Crackdown! The original now runs at 4K on an X and still holds up. I also really liked Crackdown 3 (despite all the negativity around it), if you have fun with 1 and want more then definitely give it a try too (you can skip 2, 2 is pretty awful and didn't get any of the enhancements).

If you're into JRPGs, Blue Dragon is pretty great, pretty much an old-school Final Fantasy games with some neat twists, the job system is especially cool in how diverse you can make your party.

If you like WRPGs, the Fable games are great and still hold up. 1 is a classic, 2 probably holds up the best, and 3 is a really fun time (again, despite all the negativity around it), albeit a little bit dialed back from what you were allowed to do in 2.

And since I'm assuming you had a Playstation before this, you probably like or have at least played Insomniac games before. Definitely try Sunset Overdrive, the traversal system is pretty unique and once you get the hang of it can be really fun just moving around the world.

Finally, I'll say that if you're into the cinematic third person shooter type game, then Quantum Break was a lot better than it's often given credit for. A lot of its ideas were refined and improved upon in Control, but there's some neat stuff in there that's worth checking out, and the live action episodes are saved by Lance Reddick, who really does an incredible job breathing life into his scenes.

These are all available physically (probably for pretty cheap too), but if digital isn't a total dealbreaker then these are all also available through Game Pass.

Thank you!

Crackdown 3 definitely looked like just more Crackdown, and that is all OK with me. I just want a fun, open world crime game with tons of collectibles to dig through.

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are both games I have in my backlog. Excited to try them both out. Honestly one of the major reasons I picked up the Series X was for the Backwards Compat.

Fable is a series I need to get back into. I haven't played them since they initially released each, but I remember *loving* 2 to the point of having hundreds of hours into it.

Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break aren't quite my speed, but I will still give them a look. Tried them when they initially released years ago, but wasn't a huge fan of either. Maybe after 5+ years I may enjoy them now.

I did play through Battletoads (slowly working through the 1000Gs, bugger all the MP achievements!) and The Medium. Both great games. Medium really reminded me of Murdered: Soul Suspect, which was a very entertaining AA story-driven adventure.

Top Bottom