• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: We don't have enough to fill pre-orders!

Went to gamestop which was originally going to get 16 units.
The guy says they're only getting 7(5 60's and 2 20 gigs) and everyone ordered 60 gigs.

I told him I was 5th in line and he assured me I was going to get the 60 gig but I'm not taking any chance.
Going there first thing in the morning.

Javaman

DarienA said:
Wow sounds like some of these game employees/mgrs are being VERY shady... can't say I'm surprised after the comment made by the employee at the store yesterday where I reserved mine at.

Tell me about it. The scummy guy at my store was bragging about how he got around the employee cancelation by letting a family member or friend take his #1 pre-order. The other employee who landed one auctioned it off in the store to a final bid of $1000.

Dr. Jade

Well i just got off the phone with my Gamestop in Miami Beach, my preorder at #6 is secure seeing as they said they got all 16 premiums in yesterday evening. And they will be opening at 8am with a cop at the door.

So dont be pissin your pants yet my fellow preorderers. There is hope yet.

Shawn

Banned
I preordered a PS3 during the very limited time GameStop was offering them on October 10. I'm number "12" on my receipt. I chose the 20 GB model (I didn't notice anyone before me chosing the 20 GB). And I think I was the only one to pay for it in full (my account was debited $525.00).

I hate to say this, but I better be able to get it this Friday.

ManaByte

Javaman said:
Tell me about it. The scummy guy at my store was bragging about how he got around the employee cancelation by letting a family member or friend take his #1 pre-order. The other employee who landed one auctioned it off in the store to a final bid of $1000.

That guy should be terminated immediately.

And by terminated, I mean shot in the head.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shawn said:
I preordered a PS3 during the very limited time GameStop was offering them on October 10. I'm number "12" on my receipt. I chose the 20 GB model (I didn't notice anyone before me chosing the 20 GB). And I think I was the only one to pay for it in full (my account was debited $525.00).

...and you haven't called to check in? What just hopping that the stars will align or something? Paying off in full doesn't mean anything. Order # comes first.

Flo_Evans

I've called in and have gotten nothing out of the counter jerks. Supposedly 'susan' the manager is going to get back with me. The dude said they *might* still be getting as many as 10, so I think I am OK

everything is going to be OK

Shawn

Banned
I haven't called to check because I don't want to hear, "I'm sorry -- you won't be able to pick up your PlayStation 3 this Friday."

Honestly, I don't want to hear it.

Shawn said:

Nobody ordered 20 gig at the gamestop I pre ordered. When i went there yesterday the manager told me they were getting 5 60's and 2 20's even though they didn't order any.
He said he'll offer 20gigs to the 6th and 7th person in the list but they can either wait for 60 gig or just take 20 gigs.
So you being 12th person in line does not guarantee you the 20 gigs. It might be first offered to the person in front of you in the que.

Ryu1999

Flo_Evans said:
I've called in and have gotten nothing out of the counter jerks. Supposedly 'susan' the manager is going to get back with me. The dude said they *might* still be getting as many as 10, so I think I am OK

everything is going to be OK

So I'm not the only one who's still in the dark. It seems like 90% of this thread has heard back already and I'd say the majority of them, other than GS/EB employees are good to go. Hopefully this trend continues...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
i got the call :(

they said they might have mine by tuesday or wednesday though. i'm gonna try to camp out so i can have one at launch.

Flo_Evans

Ryu1999 said:
So I'm not the only one who's still in the dark. It seems like 90% of this thread has heard back already and I'd say the majority of them, other than GS/EB employees are good to go. Hopefully this trend continues...

nope they called me today!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHAAAAAA PS3 in Flo's house this friday bitches! PARTY TIME!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
briefcasemanx said:
i got the call :(

they said they might have mine by tuesday or wednesday though. i'm gonna try to camp out so i can have one at launch.
Tuesday or Wednesday? Unless Sony sent out another shipment immediately following launch, I doubt that.

Though, if that WERE the case, I'd be thrilled as I'll be able to get one from second shipment for sure (not that anything is for certain these days).

evil ways

Just called to be sure, the girl assured me that if I'm #2 on the list then I'm guaranteed a console on Friday since they are definitely getting at least more than 2 and they are going by pre-order number.

Got the call yesterday but missed it and had to call back the manager today, was getting kinda nervous since the kid i talked to on the phone said it'd be first come first serve tomorrow among the 16 of us who pre-ordered so come as early as possible. Luckily he's an idiot and the manager assured me that i was #4 and good to go. The manager only wanted to ask whether i wanted 1st or 2nd shipment (duh), whether i was coming fri or sat (fri duh) and whether i wanted a 60 or 20 (still want a 60).

Man i'm really glad i did the 2 hour camp back in october as opposed to now. The camps are making the national newscasts now and they look insane.

kiryogi

Banned
Goddamn you corporate! My manager tried to pull for me to get my PS3 since I preordered before I got hired. Seems like his higher up just won't accept it and also making my wait until 2nd. WTF. Gonna end up robbing the house bank tomorrow @ work cancelling my full cash paid preorder. Gonna try and scope out target D:

HokieJoe

Great Poster said:
Agreed. I was 5th in line but my receipt says 6. They had two registers going. No biggie as I was told last night that they were getting 8 60s in...I just thought it was odd that he couldn't guarantee me a unit on Friday. I'm stopping at my EB on my way home...I will flex my muscles and intimidate them into admitting that my unit is guaranteed. I will keep you all posted.

Where on the receipt does it indicate what number your pre-order is?

Miguel

kiryogi said:
Goddamn you corporate! My manager tried to pull for me to get my PS3 since I preordered before I got hired. Seems like his higher up just won't accept it and also making my wait until 2nd. WTF. Gonna end up robbing the house bank tomorrow @ work cancelling my full cash paid preorder. Gonna try and scope out target D:
XD

Ryu1999

So I called corporate about my shady little store. They said that people should have been notified by today (Wednesday) about their preorder status, but my store is refusing to tell me until Thursday. So the customer rep, who was very helpful and friendly kudos to EB corporate, called my store and believe it or not, the guy at the store told him "he'd call back". Of course the guy never does, and instead calls me directly to give me the same story he gave me earlier about not having the lists and allocation number *cough*bullshit*cough*. I speicifclaly told him, "I don't care if I don't get one first round, just tell me whats the deal", but he kept tight lipped. I told him I was #6, but he said he hadn't looked/ couldn't look at the list to verify and he sounded very fidgety. I"m guessing he gave his friends all the ones that came in

The rep at corporate calls me back an hour later and tells me that the guy never called him back and when he tried to call again, the store was closed. He told me to call him Thursday afternoon.

Summary: My EB is shady as hell, but customer service at EB corp is a-ok

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Posted in the stickied thread... but my Gamestop called and I'm getting my 60GB. He said they were getting 10 in (didn't ask breakdown, but it's probably 8x60GB and 2x20GB as he mentioned they had 20s) and I was 5th in line.

Yeah, I had to call about mine tonight. Guy told me he'd just finished calling everyone on the list. I said I hadn't gotten a call, so he took my name and said he'd tried calling me but the number was disconnected. I ask what number they have down and he gives me a # that's one digit off. Which is odd, because my receipt has the correct number on it. Seemed kinda shady.

He said I'm getting my PS3, though. He asked if I was putting it on eBay, and of course I said no. Then he said I just had to get a warranty on it, because they're all defective and "it will probably be broken right out of the box." I love you, EB. I was also told to call before I come in on Friday to make sure they had my PS3. Uh...

My pal is still waiting for a call about her PS3. She's #5 out of 16, so she should get a system, but no one's called yet. Guess she'll have to call tomorrow.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah, I had to call about mine tonight. Guy told me he'd just finished calling everyone on the list. I said I hadn't gotten a call, so he took my name and said he'd tried calling me but the number was disconnected. I ask what number they have down and he gives me a # that's one digit off. Which is odd, because my receipt has the correct number on it. Seemed kinda shady.

He said I'm getting my PS3, though. He asked if I was putting it on eBay, and of course I said no. Then he said I just had to get a warranty on it, because they're all defective and "it will probably be broken right out of the box." I love you, EB. I was also told to call before I come in on Friday to make sure they had my PS3. Uh...

My pal is still waiting for a call about her PS3. She's #5 out of 16, so she should get a system, but no one's called yet. Guess she'll have to call tomorrow.
Transaction numbers on the receipt doesnt show your place in line. Transactions can be used for opening registers / voiding transactions.. so it skews it all.. never go by that number.

Last Hope

Have not read the thread but I was 12 out of 16. I have not gotten a call. Don't know if that is good news or not, everybody at the gamestop I ordered from are total idiots.

BuddyC

I got my call earlier this evening. Despite my status as the third person in line, it was still very reassuring to hear it confirmed that my 60 GB PS3 will waiting for me Friday morning. Now it's just a matter of getting through today, which happens to be slammed.

BuddyC said:
I got my call earlier this evening. Despite my status as the third person in line, it was still very reassuring to hear it confirmed that my 60 GB PS3 will waiting for me Friday morning. Now it's just a matter of getting through today, which happens to be slammed.
yeah, got my call, I'm good.
The guy at GS was pissed because the employees are all being forced to wait. He said there was basically no benefit to working there :lol No midnight launch, so its 32 and a half hours and counting

Thug Larz

Neo Member
Since I still hadn't heard from them today, I stopped by my EB tonight after work. My store is getting 8 units, and I"m 9th on the list. :(

I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed.

The manager assured me that I would "probably" get one before X-mas, but even that isn't guaranteed.

It's a super long shot, but maybe one person will balk.

Otherwise, who knows when I'll get mine. Damn it!

Zepking said:
Transaction numbers on the receipt doesnt show your place in line. Transactions can be used for opening registers / voiding transactions.. so it skews it all.. never go by that number.
Oh, I was talking about my phone number. That's the one they had wrong. I know about the transaction numbers on the receipts - both mine and my friend's are #6, even though we were 5th in line at different stores.

Got the call today. They have my 60GB PS3 safe and sound for pickup. Though, curiously (and much to my dismay) they WON'T be making them available for pickup at midnight. They're opening at 8 AM (they DID do a midnight pickup for FFXII though).

Duderz

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Got the call today. They have my 60GB PS3 safe and sound for pickup. Though, curiously (and much to my dismay) they WON'T be making them available for pickup at midnight. They're opening at 8 AM (they DID do a midnight pickup for FFXII though).

that's...pretty dumb.

Javaman

Thug Larz said:
Since I still hadn't heard from them today, I stopped by my EB tonight after work. My store is getting 8 units, and I"m 9th on the list. :(

I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed.

The manager assured me that I would "probably" get one before X-mas, but even that isn't guaranteed.

It's a super long shot, but maybe one person will balk.

Otherwise, who knows when I'll get mine. Damn it!

Don't loose all hope. There's always a chance that someone will fail to pay it off or there could be several returns if Ebay competition is too tight.

Ryu1999

Its currently 11am, and my store opens at 10am, and I still haven't gotten the promised Thursday call...Do I have the worst EB out there?

Togeo

Doesn't surprise me they're not doing a PS3 midnight launch. Only 8 people would be there.

Any idea when the second shipment is coming in?

Ryu1999 said:
Its currently 11am, and my store opens at 10am, and I still haven't gotten the promised Thursday call...Do I have the worst EB out there?

I didn't get the call either.
I did go over there on Tuesday and talked to the manager but didn't get the guarantee. He just said I'll get it since they're getting 5 and I was 5th in line. But this depends on whether or not the manager snuck in anyone or employee in front of the que.

trmas

Banned
Third in line, and got a 20GB one. Assured by the manager who is a friend that my PS3 would be waiting for me when I get in from the airport tomorrow morning. He's also coming over to play Gears, which I just bought, and Resistance on Saturday. He and I had a good laugh about this situation. :D

People are simply crazy.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ryu1999 said:

Not only that, but you probably don't have a PS3 either.

Shawn

Banned
I just came back from GameStop. I was so nervous and anxious over asking about the status of my preorder, that I was choking on my own words. I was number "12". Apparently, I was the only one to choose the 20GB model.

Now I can relax and celebrate in silence.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shawn said:
I just came back from GameStop. I was so nervous and anxious over asking about the status of my preorder, that I was choking on my own words. I was number "12". Apparently, I was the only one to choose the 20GB model.

Now I can relax and celebrate in silence.

Nervous and anxious... how old are you 12? Grow a pair dammit! ;)

Ryu1999

xsarien said:
Not only that, but you probably don't have a PS3 either.

burying%20Whale%20Big%20Wood%20Cay%20April%20%2008%20058.jpg

Thanks for further burying my dream

So my friend called EB today and was told to call back later when the manager was in. The manager actually called her back first and said she wasn't getting a PS3. Their numbers were cut from 16 to 4. She was #5. Did anyone else's store have such a severe cut? I'm suspicious about this store cuz they have a reputation for being somewhat shady. I stopped shopping there after they sold me a used game as new, and in the past they've done other shady shit to people I know like selling gutted copies without informing them, adding the game warranty without asking, and accepting returns on opened games. So you guys whose stores are only getting 4: what was the original expected number?

Ryu1999

speculawyer said:
I was #4 in line and I still haven't heard from my EBgames.

I did hear that my NBA 2K7/PS3 and Super-Monkeyball/Wii are in stock now.

You are getting me scared. :-(

Don't lose hope. After all that bs I put up with, the manager FINALLY called me today ~3pm and told me if I would accept a 20 gig instead of a 60 gig I'd have one tomorrow...which of course I did b/c I realized that wireless isn't useful to me and 40 gigs of hd space isn't worth 100 bucks

I just got a call from the GS where is pre-ordered mine. The guy said that the manager changed his mind and decided to do the midnight pre-order after all. Anyone else get a call like this?

Last Hope

I called gamestop this afternoon.

The guy said they have a system for me. Pick it up in 48 hours.

Pretty good. I was number 12 according to my receipt although the guy told me I was number 8. Not sure which one to believe. They were taking 16 preorders.

Top Bottom