• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: We don't have enough to fill pre-orders!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
TekunoRobby said:
Our system count at the local GameStop got cut in HALF. They went from about 18 units down to f**king 8. Luckily I'm the third reservation! The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

OH and my local GameStop has their Wii's already, 35 of them in the backroom waiting for Sunday.

There is a line already? Wow. There's no line at my local Best Buy(was just there), I may have to make it a point to swing by at lunch time each day to check.

rastex

Banned
kaching said:
it could really go either way.

Ya, and if you read the other news on the forum you'll see that it's the way of a shipment cut. You could still try to argue your way out of it, but there are some pretty massive neon signs pointing to a significant cut from the original 400K. Absolutely insane.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rastex said:
Ya, and if you read the other news on the forum you'll see that it's the way of a shipment cut. You could still try to argue your way out of it, but there are some pretty massive neon signs pointing to a significant cut from the original 400K. Absolutely insane.
Arguing my way out of what, rastex? I wasn't arguing anything definitively in the first place.

spengo

Still no call for me. I was #3 of 8 but I'm worried that shadiness might be going on at my GS.

Btw, the employees were not just ASKED to cancel, they were TOLD. But this still might not stop some.

- Employees must wait to purchase their reserved systems until the second shipment. Anyone violating this policy will be subject to disciplinary action. We feel it necessary to take a strong customer service viewpoint on this issue.

From the offical message sent to employees via the POS system. http://www.******.com/gaming/eb/rum...ll-preorders-well-before-christmas-214512.php

Also, they have to fulfill the preorders in the order that that were received. Don't let them screw you around if they are trying to do it any other way.

- Stores will fill launch-day reservations in the order that the systems were reserved. All stores should have this information on the tracking sheets that were provided via email.

Rolio

Gaf, what would you do? I talked yesterday with the store manager at the gamestop where my ps3 is reserved. He said I am fine for Friday (#3 on list, but first 2 are him and assistant manager). I asked him hypothetically if I wanted to switch my 60gb over to a 20gb would it be possible. He said, in fact, that it would be possible for my to still choose.

Ok, if I pick up a 60gb most likely it would be to sell. But if I choose a 20gb it would be most likely to keep. ???

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TekunoRobby said:
Our system count at the local GameStop got cut in HALF. They went from about 18 units down to f**king 8. Luckily I'm the third reservation! The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

OH and my local GameStop has their Wii's already, 35 of them in the backroom waiting for Sunday.

Technically, they were cut by 55.6%. :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
WOW just got wind that the local Best Buy midnight launch store, the one in Hialeah, is only getting 40 PS3 units. Swinging by there later to take photos etc.

OK guys... I just spoke with someone that works at my local Wal-Mart and they said that they're only getting half of their expected shipment - dropping them down to between 10 and 15. Take this for what you will. Can anyone else confirm from their local Wal-Mart?

ManaByte

TekunoRobby said:
WOW just got wind that the local Best Buy midnight launch store, the one in Hialeah, is only getting 40 PS3 units. Swinging by there later to take photos etc.

"only"?

40 is twice the minimum promised...

teiresias

TekunoRobby said:

Umm, the circulars this week are only promising a minimum of 20 60Gig and 6 20Gig units, so I don't see how you can say "only getting."

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ManaByte said:
"only"?

40 is twice the minimum promised...
teiresias said:
Umm, the circulars this week are only promising a minimum of 20 60Gig and 6 20Gig units, so I don't see how you can say "only getting."
Relax guys. I'm just surprised that one of these HUGE CRAZY Midnight Launch stores are only getting 40 freaking units. Last year the local Best Buy had over 120 360 units in stock and that launch was a disaster.

Big Difference.

DrDogg

Called the store I preorderd at, I'm screwed by some shadiness.

I was 8th in line back on 10/10, but when I got to the counter I was somehow 9th on the list. When I asked how that came to pass the employee just pointed to the first person on the list and said it was an employee.

I called up today and the store is getting in 8 with me being 9th on the list. I tried to have the manager research the first order to confirm it was processed before 10AM on that day, but they "have a new computer" and can't look that up.

In addition, my receipt says I was the 10th transaction that day. Now all 10 PS3 preorders were processed before anyone else was tendered out, but somehow being 8th in line gave me the 10th transaction of the day.

F*uck GameStop!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
speculawyer said:
Ack! <Runs to refrigerator to check pre-order receipt>

I'm #4 of 9 or so I think . . . so I HOPE I am safe.

:-/

Even if they were to cut it in half, you are right on the cusp...you should be okay. 9 units? Isn't that a little peculiar? Wasn't it 8 or 16?

Javaman

Straightballin said:
Mine isn't getting enough 60 gigs im one away so I have to settle for the 20 gig

Just found out my EB went from 16 to 10. They told me that they are expecting 2 more each week so barring any cancelations I'm out for several weeks (#15). I guess I'm going to have to camp at Walmart. Yummy.

Dracos

DrDogg said:
Called the store I preorderd at, I'm screwed by some shadiness.

I was 8th in line back on 10/10, but when I got to the counter I was somehow 9th on the list. When I asked how that came to pass the employee just pointed to the first person on the list and said it was an employee.

I called up today and the store is getting in 8 with me being 9th on the list. I tried to have the manager research the first order to confirm it was processed before 10AM on that day, but they "have a new computer" and can't look that up.

In addition, my receipt says I was the 10th transaction that day. Now all 10 PS3 preorders were processed before anyone else was tendered out, but somehow being 8th in line gave me the 10th transaction of the day.

F*uck GameStop!

That sucks. Plus the fact that they didn't maintain order on the transactions by using multiple registers.

Ponn

Banned
Straightballin said:
Mine isn't getting enough 60 gigs im one away so I have to settle for the 20 gig

Same here. I was number 5. Thats ok though, I just have to run some lan cable now but I save 100 bucks. Maybe I will put it towards a game.

DrDogg

BTW my GS is getting 8 of the 60GB and 2 of the 20GB. No one pre-ordered the 20 GB, but I'd rather wait and get a 60GB instead of settling.

just got my call to confirm i could pick up my system on friday. i was "last" on the list (actually 4th in line, but it is a looooooong story).

he is calling people that will be getting one and asking if they want to be moved to the second shipment for a free game worth $20 :lol :lol :lol he said most people said "hell no".

Just got my call too

He gave the following options:

1. Buy a 20gig then trade it in for a 60gig plus the difference when they get more in.....:lol
2. Wait till the next shipment for a 60gig......:lol

I was one of the first despite this bullshit so I WILL be getting 1 of the few PS3's on 11.17 :D

Tortfeasor

I stopped by my local store and they are only getting 6 in (down from 10), all 60gb. Actually, they all came in today! I was there as they were unpacking them.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Wow sounds like some of these game employees/mgrs are being VERY shady... can't say I'm surprised after the comment made by the employee at the store yesterday where I reserved mine at.

spengo said:
Still no call for me. I was #3 of 8 but I'm worried that shadiness might be going on at my GS.

Btw, the employees were not just ASKED to cancel, they were TOLD. But this still might not stop some.

From the offical message sent to employees via the POS system. http://www.******.com/gaming/eb/rum...ll-preorders-well-before-christmas-214512.php

Also, they have to fulfill the preorders in the order that that were received. Don't let them screw you around if they are trying to do it any other way.

Should I complain that they shouldn't be giving employees any? Because I belive that about 3 employees are in front of me and im 2nd away from getting mine.

Also what is that link name supposed to be that is blocked off?

woo! I'm #2 on the list and he said I'm certainly getting the unit when they open Friday.

*dancing bananas.gif*

when I went to Best Buy (by the airport, if anyone from Portland/Vancouver cares) tp [ick up the Army of Anyone CD, there were only three people in line. One was in a wheelchair, so you may be able to outrun him on opening Friday.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Should I complain that they shouldn't be giving employees any? Because I belive that about 3 employees are in front of me and im 2nd away from getting mine.
Employees aren't f*cking getting any, OK? That's exactly why I'm f*cked. Christ.

I should not have relied on that, but I never imagined that things would get THIS bad. Now I have had no chance to find another solution.

spengo

Straightballin said:

Also what is that link name supposed to be that is blocked off?

I would call corporate if I were you, if you are sure that employees are getting some that is. The censored part is k-otaku (remove hypen)

I found out why I haven't got the call yet. I just went down and the manager said they don't even know if they are getting ANY yet. wtf? He said that he had no shipping information from Sony in the computer yet which surprised him. The good news is that I am actually 2nd in line and will be guarenteed one if/when they come. -_-

Ryu1999

So I called the EB I ordered from again this afternoon....The guy says he won't be able to tell me anything until THURSDAY. He asked me the same question as he did this morning: "Did you do the preorder with us?" I'm like yeah dude, you were the one who was there swiping my credit card. Its as if he thinks people are stupid enough to ask him about a preorder that wasn't done already or was done at another store

ORRRRR he already called people who were getting one and since I even had to ask, I'm not getting one :(

wait, so gamestop will give me a free game to give up my place in line and move to the second shipment...but the people who were on the 2nd half of the list for 1st shipment now get nothing as a consolation?

seems ass backwards to me. they should be offereing something to pre-orders # 9-16.

scissorfight said:
wait, so gamestop will give me a free game to give up my place in line and move to the second shipment...but the people who were on the 2nd half of the list for 1st shipment now get nothing as a consolation?

seems ass backwards to me. they should be offereing something to pre-orders # 9-16.

I think the way it works is this: Anybody who pre-ordered who waits on the second shipment gets a free $19.99 game...whether the wait was voluntarily or not.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ignatz Mouse said:
I wonder about this myself. On one hand, I would expect prices to go up after launch, on the other-- if everybody's ebaying, who's buying?

I'm pretty sure BB doesn't want people hangin out outside their store no matter how much they're about to spend. And lol @ games, accessories, and warranties since like 1/10 people are actually keeping their P$3's (lawl am i cool yet?). i cant wait to see the look on Ebayers faces when they barely break even.

I've been monitoring ending auctions of the PS3 and I can tell you right now that the chances of ebay being too saturated with PS3's to the point that sellers only barely break even are slim to none. Each one has ended for NO LESS than $1500! There are simply too many millionaires in this world.

Great Poster said:
I think the way it works is this: Anybody who pre-ordered who waits on the second shipment gets a free $19.99 game...whether the wait was voluntarily or not.
ah, that would make the most sense. though it's still a cluster****.

scissorfight said:
ah, that would make the most sense. though it's still a cluster****.

Agreed. I was 5th in line but my receipt says 6. They had two registers going. No biggie as I was told last night that they were getting 8 60s in...I just thought it was odd that he couldn't guarantee me a unit on Friday. I'm stopping at my EB on my way home...I will flex my muscles and intimidate them into admitting that my unit is guaranteed. I will keep you all posted.

Kerm 1

Just called the Gamestop that I preordered at. I'm good to go on a 60 Gig. Somewhat suprising as I didn't show up to preorder until 15 minutes after the store opened.... I'll take it.

Vargas

I got my call. I will be getting it on Friday. They did offer me the option of waiting and getting a 20 dollar movie though.

Miguel

Well, I think I have a 20 gigger waiting for me on Friday. I'll call again tomorrow for confirmation...there was a guy ahead of me that I just spoke with who called after me saying he got the last 20 gigger...I'm just hoping that doesn't mean I was bumped a spot.

Unreal.... it's one thing when you read about it... then you see it for yourself.

I went to Circuit City tonight to pick up Yoshi's Island DS (with free sleeve) and saw 4 people sitting in chairs out there already... then I head over to Best Buy to meet a friend and I see at least 20 people out there... several had tents and all... just f'ing crazy.

lachesis

Well, I've got my message from my GS. Same usual stuff. I won't be getting my PS3 at Day1.. but I am still "Guaranteed" the system well before holidays.

I think it's just her habbit of saying 'gurantee' for something that's not so quite certain at this point. However, it would be nice if I could get it before holidays - but I'm anticipating either mid december for mine.

For those who got the system - congrats. For those who are camping for the system at BB/Target/Walmart, or whatnot - good luck to you all! :)

I'll be staying wii60 for a few more weeks...!

lachesis

Top Bottom