• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: We don't have enough to fill pre-orders!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DarienA said:
Well I don't buy my games from EB/GS anymore, but in this case earlier this year they opened up a EB in the Germantown Commons shopping center. It's just down the street my job and my home.

Are you gonna try to camp for a system? It's supposed to thunderstorm thursday night and be around 40 degrees. I've given up hope. I may check out my local Wal-Mart though.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's safe to say that Sony ****ed their launch up just as bad as Microsoft last year.

The real question is if they will be able to supply as many systems by the end of March as they predicted. They were speaking of 2 million units by the end of 06 and another 4 million by the end of their financial year. Is anyone actually still believing this?

I can't see how Wii and 360 are not going to capitalise on this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
F*ck, the weather looks AWFUL around here. Thursday night is supposed to drop into the lower 40s with rain and Friday looks like it might snow.

I suppose whether or not I bother depends upon the situation and whether or not I can find anyone willing to join me.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
levious said:
Are you gonna try to camp for a system? It's supposed to thunderstorm thursday night and be around 40 degrees. I've given up hope. I may check out my local Wal-Mart though.

No I'm #6 at the store. So no camping here. I have to admit that I'm THINKING about swinging by the Circuit City down in Rockville and seeing what kind of line is there. If it isn't bad when I get there I MAY hang out til 10 to score a voucher... maybe.

Wow. This where you want to make sure that you have done any of the following shady things to be sure you get your PS3 from your local GS/EB ..

1. Hopes that you have had a track record of large $$ purchases from your local store and you have had time to form a good relationship with the manager... manager in turn would shift the list around.

2. Slip the manager a $100 to bounce/shift the reserve list around.... (This usually works; it worked for me at one location).

Just a couple of ideas ....

levious

DarienA said:
If it isn't bad when I get there I MAY hang out til 10 to score a voucher... maybe.

I just have a feeling Rockville will have an almost riot type atmosphere. The location has already been hyped up, now with this EB news... I almost want to make the trip just to see what happens.

DarienA

levious said:
I just have a feeling Rockville will have an almost riot type atmosphere. The location has already been hyped up, now with this EB news... I almost want to make the trip just to see what happens.

Yeah that's really more why I'm thinking about swinging by, curiosity more than anything. The few times I've shopped at that store it never seemed very busy.

Ryu1999

Kintaro said:
My store went from 8 units to 5. My preorder is #4. Wooo!

That's exactly what I'm expecting how low my store's allotment to go especially since they only had 8 as well. Dammit why do I have to be #6!!!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GamerzXtreme said:
Wow. This where you want to make sure that you have done any of the following shady things to be sure you get your PS3 from your local GS/EB ..

1. Hopes that you have had a track record of large $$ purchases from your local store and you have had time to form a good relationship with the manager... manager in turn would shift the list around.

2. Slip the manager a $100 to bounce/shift the reserve list around.... (This usually works; it worked for me at one location).

$100 isnt worth the manager getting beat down/shot/killed by shifting the wrong person the wrong way. Not to mention you getting beat down/shot/killed by the same person who waits to see who ****ed him over. :lol

brocke

Banned
going to be snowing for launch. looks like that may be a good sign. probrably means less people camping for one.

Kintaro - No one is going to get a beat down or what not - the shifting is done behind the scenes - and if you (or anyone) for that matter does not think this is going on - think again.

Zalasta

DarienA said:
Yeah that's really more why I'm thinking about swinging by, curiosity more than anything. The few times I've shopped at that store it never seemed very busy.

I don't even have a clue where the CC is located, and I went to Richard Montgomery HS :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I can't ****ing believe Sony is admitting that they are redirecting units to Japan. Way to treat the NA customers like shit. I'm so glad I'm not part of the pre-order crowd or I would be so uber pissed right now.

Redirecting units is uber bogus.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't like the look of those blank forms with penned-in names -- i wouldn't be surprised if managers are moving their friends up in the lists and so on. do we know how this is actually being handled? by corporate straight from the computers, or by individual managers? i've been promised a unit, but funny thing -- i don't trust gamestop employees.

Kintaro

GamerzXtreme said:
Kintaro - No one is going to get a beat down or what not - the shifting is done behind the scenes - and if you (or anyone) for that matter does not think this is going on - think again.

Please. If I'm told on #4 when I preordered it, and they even wrote #4 on my receipt with the manager's initials on it, and I get there and I'm now #6, I know some shady shit went on, and if I were a lesser person, all hell would break loose. If I were an equally shady person, the store would probably be robbed.

It isn't rocket science to see shady shit here.

DarienA

Zalasta said:
I don't even have a clue where the CC is located, and I went to Richard Montgomery HS :lol

Are you familiar with where the Best Buy is in Rockville? It's like a block or so down from there.

Kintaro

Dr_Cogent said:
I can't ****ing believe Sony is admitting that they are redirecting units to Japan. Way to treat the NA customers like shit. I'm so glad I'm not part of the pre-order crowd or I would be so uber pissed right now.

Redirecting units is uber bogus.

Treating NA customers like shit? Japan only got 100k compared to our 400k initally. Who felt like they were getting treated like shit first here?

Looks like I'll be camping...I'm number 16 on the list :lol

What is the procedure for camping? What time is everybody here going to go out?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rastex said:
Not really. GS/EB is the only store that does full pre-orders. I'm sure Toys'R'Us earmarked 60% of their PS3 shipments to pre-orders and kept the rest for launch day first come first serve, I remember reading that somewhere. So even if their shipment numbers were cut, they're still able to fulfill their preorders. Whereas with GS/EB 100% of the expected shipment went to preorders, so ANY drop would affect them.

So sure, you could construe this as poor planning on EB/GS part, but the fact remains that Sony told them to expect a certain amount, and now they're reneging on that. Plain and simple. And this DOES point to a decrease in launch numbers, maybe as high as a 40% decrease across the board, which would just be... insanity.
The TRU statement didn't indicate a reduction in their shipment though and meanwhile you've got a GS rep claiming that the reason for their reduction is due to Sony redirecting units to Japan because of demand - does anyone really believe that Sony didn't realize that there would be more demand than the mere 100K units they were launching with there? It's a very suspect explanation and in the absence of no other retailer indicating a reduced shipment it becomes even more suspect.

ManaByte

MaverickX9 said:
Looks like I'll be camping...I'm number 16 on the list :lol

What is the procedure for camping? What time is everybody here going to go out?

I'm getting there just after 5:00pm tomorrow.

kaching said:
The TRU statement didn't indicate a reduction in their shipment though and meanwhile you've got a GS rep claiming that the reason for their reduction is due to Sony redirecting units to Japan because of demand - does anyone really believe that Sony didn't realize that there would be more demand than the mere 100K units they were launching with there? It's a very suspect explanation and in the absence of no other retailer indicating a reduced shipment it becomes even more suspect.

That's just slimy Gamestop trying to redirect the blame to someone else.

Gamestop is like a bad used cars salesman who desperately tries to change his image.

Ryu1999

The guy at my store STILL can't tell me how many they're getting or if I'll get one. :shakes fist: SONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Kintaro said:
Treating NA customers like shit? Japan only got 100k compared to our 400k initally. Who felt like they were getting treated like shit first here?

Everyone. Sony cannot make enough to give Europe any, they shaft Japan by giving NA 400k but now they screw us by going back on that and sending more to Japan instead of producing more. That and the whole "we need them in Japan because of the demand" is a total cop out, OF COURSE Japan is going to have a higher demand. Sony sells an unprecedented amount of products there compared to the US.

ManaByte

Ryu1999 said:
The guy at my store STILL can't tell me how many they're getting or if I'll get one. :shakes fist: SONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh, so it's Sony's fault your GS employees lying asshats behind the counter? Ok. They know how many they're getting, they're just playing stupid.

DarienA

Ryu1999 said:

That's bullshit, the stores all know their quantities by now.

ManaByte

rootdaemon said:
Everyone. Sony cannot make enough to give Europe any, they shaft Japan by giving NA 400k but now they screw us by going back on that and sending more to Japan instead of producing more. That and the whole "we need them in Japan because of the demand" is a total cop out, OF COURSE Japan is going to have a higher demand. Sony sells an unprecedented amount of products there compared to the US.

Why do people believe EB/GS's bullshit? Really? You believing the lies they spew only plays into their hopes that the blame is redirected to Sony and not them.

DarienA

ManaByte said:
Why do people believe EB/GS's bullshit? Really?

Cause it's easy to hate on Sony!

I for one find it hard to believe that only EB/GS have had their #'s cut. I want to see some news items about retail chains. Toy R US is able to fill it's pre-orders. EB/GS have more reserves than TRU, when EB/GS was only doing 8/16 reserves per store? Hard to believe.

Ryu1999

ManaByte said:
Oh, so it's Sony's fault your GS employees lying asshats behind the counter? Ok. They know how many they're getting, they're just playing stupid.

No I'm blaming Sony for not meeting their production quota. And yeah he might be lying, but what purpose does it serve? I didn't give him my name or order #

He said he'd give me a call "later in the week". Hopefully that means tomorrow

DarienA

Ryu1999 said:
No I'm blaming Sony for not meeting their production quota. And yeah he might be lying, but what purpose does it serve? I didn't give him my name or order #

Story time. Before the pre-order campaign for EB/GS I called a few local stores to check if they were doing pre-orders. One employee told me point blank that no PS3's are coming to the US til '07.

ManaByte said:
Why do people believe EB/GS's bullshit? Really?

What bullshit? That Sony cannot ever deliver on what they say? I can agree EB/GS corporate is a bunch of jerks but they are more reliable than Sony.

And the reason some managers won't say how many PS3's we are getting is because we really aren't allowed. We got an email saying we cannot disclose the exact amount of PS3's for whatever reason.

levious

DarienA said:
Cause it's easy to hate on Sony!

I for one find it hard to believe that only EB/GS have had their #'s cut. I want to see some news items about retail chains. Toy R US is able to fill it's pre-orders. EB/GS have more reserves than TRU, when EB/GS was only doing 8/16 reserves per store? Hard to believe.

Is it really that EB had their allotment cut? I thought they only now got final launch numbers and their preorders were based on their own internal estimates. I've read so many different claims I don't know what's true.

DarienA

levious said:
Is it really that EB had their allotment cut? I thought they only now got final launch numbers and their preorders were based on their own internal estimates. I've read so many different claims I don't know what's true.

They are claiming their allotment was cut in the most recent news stories I've seen... but yeah it's hard to know what the truth is at this point.

Javaman

GamerzXtreme said:

While I don't have anything against people buying systems to resale on Ebay, that is a big A-hole thing to do. You won't get any sympathy from anyone here if you get the crap beat out of you.

EB/GS waited to do pre-orders for the PS3 and Wii to AVOID what happened last year. We assumed we were getting what we told, but now that Sony cannot deliver on what they promised we have to cut units.

There isn't anything about the Wii being cut because Nintendo is able to deliver their promises on how many units. They able to produce and/or don't have to redirect them to Japan.

rootdaemon said:
EB/GS waited to do pre-orders for the PS3 and Wii to AVOID what happened last year. We assumed we were getting what we told, but now that Sony cannot deliver on what they promised we have to cut units.

There isn't anything about the Wii being cut because Nintendo is able to deliver their promises on how many units. They able to produce and/or don't have to redirect them to Japan.

They have 4 years to get it right before the next system launches

DarienA

rootdaemon said:

Why haven't we heard this from Sony? Any previous time when launch unit #'s have gone down Sony has released a public statment.

Now all the sudden nothing from them and only this throw away line from EB/GS?

Unusual.

ManaByte

rootdaemon said:

God damnit. They are not redirecting systems to Japan. Stop believing your stupid corporate GS emails.

Story time: Back at the DC launch there was a GS (back then Software Etc.) conference call with a store manager in Hawaii who tried to convince the managers to push the DC because the PS2 would have no games due to running a Mac-based Unix OS and no one makes games on the Mac.

Stop believing their bullshit.

Do you realize how stupid redirecting US systems to Japan is? There are minor firmware differences between a NTSC-US and a NTSC-JP system and you can't just slap NTSC-US systems on a boat to Japan and hope no one tells the difference.

dark10x

I can't believe people are going to starting lining up DAYS in advance. It's just insane.

I suppose the chance of getting a spot in line does not exist. :(

Togeo

Got a message from Gamestop last night looks like I won't be getting a PS3 this week. Actually I'm not concerned at all as I have the Wii to look forward to and eating this month won't be as much of a problem when I don't have to spend all that money at once :D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kintaro said:

Sony shouldn't make promises they can't ****ing keep. Japan has far less people than NA as well. It's obviously disproportionate.

Sysgen

brocke said:
going to be snowing for launch. looks like that may be a good sign. probrably means less people camping for one.

For the 360 launch where I live it was 35 degrees and pouring. As miserable as could be and there were so many people lined up at the local Best Buy. Determination > Weather.

dark10x

Dr_Cogent said:
Sony shouldn't make promises they can't ****ing keep. Japan has far less people than NA as well. It's obviously disproportionate.
I agree. I've been one of their biggest supporters for years (I love their software, what can I say), but despite my very best efforts, I'm getting f*cked by them.

Ya know, if they had announced this last week while I was in the middle of Gears, I might have been able to deal with it. You don't f*ck people over right before their excitement is building, though. That's the worst.

I'm trying to change my mindset and build excitement for other games like Zelda (which I may not even be able to get ahold of, though my chances are MUCH MUCH better).

If I would have known ahead of time, I could have prepared, but now it's much too late and there is zero chance. I doubt I'll even get ahold of one before Christmas at this rate.

jakster4u

my store was getting 16, the manager called me and i am #5 in line and i am getting one, the store manager wouldn't tell me the actual amount they were getting though.

sucks for the other people who have to wait till Christmas.

Just confirmed I'll be gettting mine. They do indeed open at midnight! "Awww, you're good, as long as you're in the top 10," is what he said. :) Now my only dilema is picking between Resistance or RR7. I'm a RR junkie, but Resistance looks tight. I'm leaning towards RR.

xsarien

daedsiluap
JeffDowns said:
Just confirmed I'll be gettting mine. They do indeed open at midnight! "Awww, you're good, as long as you're in the top 10," is what he said. :) Now my only dilema is picking between Resistance or RR7. I'm a RR junkie, but Resistance looks tight. I'm leaning towards RR.

Don't believe them until you're actually holding the thing in your hands.

the EB I ordered from said their orders will only be cut by one but after reading through this thread I'm not sure if he was telling the truth. I suppose I'll get the call later today, though I paid the damn thing off so I'm going to get it Friday @ 10:00 AM.

xsarien said:
Don't believe them until you're actually holding the thing in your hands.
Normally, I wouldn't, but the guy that I talked to is the manager that took my preorder, and he seems like a pretty upstanding guy. I reiterated to him that I would "see him then." I think I'm good. Of course anything could happen, but I'm definitely not worrying as much now.

Top Bottom