• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop: We don't have enough to fill pre-orders!

teiresias

You know, I'm glad I'm not worrying myself over all of the PS3 launch madness. I was there launch day at EB picking up my PS2, but I had it preordered and paid off with not nearly as much hassle as this generation's launches have been and that was only 100k more for the entire US than this time around so I don't really know why everything is so much more hectic.

Still, it's funny seeing grown men (I'm presuming) on the internet crying their little eyes out over not getting a launch unit. Some of you people act as if the first 400k are the only PS3s that are ever going to be shipped in the US.

Ryu1999

PhatSaqs said:
I havent gotten a call yet. Should I be worried?

Same predicament I'm in. The anxiety is even worse because I called the store and they can't/won't tell me anything.

Should I just say screw it and spend this money on a Nvidia 8800 GTX?

rastex

Banned
kaching said:
The TRU statement didn't indicate a reduction in their shipment though and meanwhile you've got a GS rep claiming that the reason for their reduction is due to Sony redirecting units to Japan because of demand - does anyone really believe that Sony didn't realize that there would be more demand than the mere 100K units they were launching with there? It's a very suspect explanation and in the absence of no other retailer indicating a reduced shipment it becomes even more suspect.

Why would other retailers need to talk about reduced shipments. EB/GS is the only retailer that would need to publicly notify its customers about lower numbers because of their 100% preorder situation. BB, CC, etc have given no information or made no guarantees for unit quantities so there's nothing for them to "correct".

Toys'R'Us sent out their press release because it was a great way to piggyback on a major news item and get some free publicity out of it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ryu1999 said:
Same predicament I'm in. The anxiety is even worse because I called the store and they can't/won't tell me anything.

Should I just say screw it and spend this money on a Nvidia 8800 GTX?

No. But be prepared to camp over night.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhatSaqs said:
I havent gotten a call yet. Should I be worried?
I just called the GS where I reserved and they said that they hadn't had a chance to check where everyone stood yet, but would be doing so this afternoon. I think they have by end of day to sort it out and call their customers.

PhatSaqs

Banned
kaching said:
I just called the GS where I reserved and they said that they hadn't had a chance to check where everyone stood yet, but would be doing so this afternoon. I think they have by end of day to sort it out and call their customers.
Thanks.

Guess we'll know soon...

Ryu1999

Fatghost said:
No. But be prepared to camp over night.

I camped for PS2 only because of Tekken Tag. There's nothing for the PS3's launch or even up until march '07, when supplies should be better, that makes me want to exert that much effort, especially since I'm not pawning on ebay

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Ryu1999 said:
I camped for PS2 only because of Tekken Tag. There's nothing for the PS3's launch or even up until march '07, when supplies should be better, that makes me want to exert that much effort, especially since I'm not pawning on ebay

In that case, put the money away somewhere. There really isn't a good gaming reason to get an 8800 now either.

It's funny with the Ebay situation because I've heard so many people wanting to sell them for $2k+ and I still have yet to see so many people willing to pay $2000 for a system. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but are there 300k~ willing to pay $2000?

I hope not, that would be quite hilarious.

rootdaemon said:
It's funny with the Ebay situation because I've heard so many people wanting to sell them for $2k+ and I still have yet to see so many people willing to pay $2000 for a system. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but are there 300k~ willing to pay $2000?

I wonder about this myself. On one hand, I would expect prices to go up after launch, on the other-- if everybody's ebaying, who's buying?

Dracos

Well I just called the GS where I had a preorder. Originally the store was going to get 8 or 12 systems. I said well I was #4 in line, he said well we have you down as #6. I asked how in the hell am I now #6 when I was given #4 in line? He said he didn't know, but I wasn't goning to raise a fuss until I heard if I was getting one. He then said that they are now getting 6 systems, all 60GB and no 20GB, and that I was the last on the list and would be getting one. No midnight launch. I know some people are gonna be pissed now. Plus how did I end up becoming #6 when I was clearly #4? As long as I get mine, it's all good, but that seems very strange.

Dracos said:
Well I just called the GS where I had a preorder. Originally the store was going to get 8 or 12 systems. I said well I was #4 in line, he said well we have you down as #6. I asked how in the hell am I now #6 when I was given #4 in line? He said he didn't know, but I wasn't goning to raise a fuss until I heard if I was getting one. He then said that they are now getting 6 systems, all 60GB and no 20GB, and that I was the last on the list and would be getting one. No midnight launch. I know some people are gonna be pissed now. Plus how did I end up becoming #6 when I was clearly #4? As long as I get mine, it's all good, but that seems very strange.

He may be a fairly shady store manager, because he may have put the two employee pre-orders ahead of you. Since each store could only take two employee pre-orders that would make sense if you got moved back two spots. If that's the truth then what an asshole.

Ryu1999

rootdaemon said:
He may be a fairly shady store manager, because he may have put the two employee pre-orders ahead of you. Since each store could only take two employee pre-orders that would make sense if you got moved back two spots. If that's the truth then what an asshole.

I thought employee preorders were automatically cancelled already?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i bet i'll end up heading to the store friday morning without yet knowing whether i'll come home with a ps3. worst launch ever.

KPunk

This morning, i got a phone call letting me know that my status on the ps3 is still great, and i will be getting one. Its being held up until Saturday Evening, as i was number 2 i was hoping i was ok. But honestly numbers don't mean much, as some stores aren't even getting a first shipment.

Ryu1999

DarkAngelYuna said:
Employees are being ASKED to not take one from the first shipment, they're not being forced to wait.

Actually, some employees (or relatives of employees) have already got their preorders kicked out until the next shipment. Just ask poor dark10x ;_;

w0s

I called my gamestop this morning, and he said their number was cut down to 8. I believe I was second in line. Truth be told with so many other great games out right now I really don't care. Resistance was the only day 1 launch game I wanted and it's great but not holy f'n crap fantastic reviews have made me not even think about it as much as killing nazi's nightly in CoD3.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ryu1999 said:
I thought employee preorders were automatically cancelled already?

Automatically? No. If you've got employees who had pre-orders and a mgr who is on his job, he'll address it. If you've got employees with pre-orders and a shady mgr perhaps with a pre-order, you might have an issue.

Ryu1999

brocke said:
sry no way that is possible. I work at gamestop and they cancelled my preorder until the 2nd shipment. absolutly no employees will be getting one. i'm really pissed off too :(

Did your manager do this or was it done automatically by the Matrix?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
drohne said:
i bet i'll end up heading to the store friday morning without yet knowing whether i'll come home with a ps3. worst launch ever.

whoa that would suck if you didnt come back with anything.

wow, was in local EB today and talking about PS3 situation. I already verified on the phone last night that I will be getting my preorder, so thats cool. The sales guy was disallowed his own preorder as an employee, even though he queued up like everyone else.

Anyway, he remembered me from the line that preorder day and said "do you remember the 2 guys at the front of the line? corporate (loss prevention) found their ebay preorders online, and cancelled their preorders :lol he said these guys didnt really react badly as if they kind of expected it to happen. the regular preorders he called to give bad news did not take things well, was some 'unpleasant conversations' there.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rastex said:
Why would other retailers need to talk about reduced shipments. EB/GS is the only retailer that would need to publicly notify its customers about lower numbers because of their 100% preorder situation. BB, CC, etc have given no information or made no guarantees for unit quantities so there's nothing for them to "correct".

Toys'R'Us sent out their press release because it was a great way to piggyback on a major news item and get some free publicity out of it.
None of the retailers *need* to talk about reduced shipments and neither does EB/GS really, since they didn't promise to fulfill all preorders on day one. But it's a hotly anticipated product for which media outlets and interested buyers are scrutinizing very closely, making anyone with loose lips the center of attention. BB and CC have in fact provided minimum unit allotments per store in this week's flier. The key difference between TRU/BB/CC vs GS/EB is that the former trio of retailers waited until the launch was much closer to confirm what they could get to the customer per store. But that says nothing about whether Sony actually changed their shipment amount for launch day or whether there was some speculation on GS/EB's part in the first place. Given the track record of both Sony (in failing to meet shipment figures for launch) and Gamestop (in failing to live up to preorder availability for first shipment of various game products), it could really go either way.

mrroboto

Banned
cleveridea said:
wow, was in local EB today and talking about PS3 situation. I already verified on the phone last night that I will be getting my preorder, so thats cool. The sales guy was disallowed his own preorder as an employee, even though he queued up like everyone else.

Anyway, he remembered me from the line that preorder day and said "do you remember the 2 guys at the front of the line? corporate (loss prevention) found their ebay preorders online, and cancelled their preorders :lol he said these guys didnt really react badly as if they kind of expected it to happen. the regular preorders he called to give bad news did not take things well, was some 'unpleasant conversations' there.

I thought the CEO of Gamestop/EB shot that rumor down of canceling preorders if they showed up on Ebay?

Crimmy

rootdaemon said:

you must not be lookin then. I watched 5 auctions yesterday down to the very end. all of them went for 2,550 or above. The highest one yesterday was 3,423. You gotta watch it til the last second cuz thats when the auctions sky rocket.

Its gonna be a beautiful Christmas :D

lachesis

The thing is, the GS manager/employee at my location indeed "guaranteed to have a system on day 1" for everyone who pre-ordered. (16 of them, and I'm the lucky #16).

And I know what the guarantee means now. LOL. Honestyly it's not really her fault but Sony's under-delivery of their production quota, but it really does sucks to be me, and I feel bad for them, because they are the ones who are dealing with customers and will get blamed for the under-delivery, not Sony.

ManaByte

lachesis said:
And I know what the guarantee means now. LOL. Honestyly it's not really her fault but Sony's under-delivery of their production quota, but it really does sucks to be me, and I feel bad for them, because they are the ones who are dealing with customers and will get blamed for the under-delivery, not Sony.

I just checked with the three Best Buys I normally go to and all three said they are getting exactly the number of systems they were expecting (couldn't say exactly how many though) and they said their allocation was NOT cut in any way.

So Gamestop is obviously just spreading FUD to divert the fury over another botched pre-order program on their part.

fabs115

A little O/T but, does anyone else think it will be difficult to find Zelda TP at Gamestop, and EB Games come Sunday? The sites say they are no longer taking preorders, so if I didnt pre order one in store, will I have trouble?

ManaByte

fabs115 said:
A little O/T but, does anyone else think it will be difficult to find Zelda TP at Gamestop, and EB Games come Sunday? The sites say they are no longer taking preorders, so if I didnt pre order one in store, will I have trouble?

They won't have any.

Go to Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Toys R Us; they should have plenty.

Crimmy said:
you must not be lookin then. I watched 5 auctions yesterday down to the very end. all of them went for 2,550 or above. The highest one yesterday was 3,423. You gotta watch it til the last second cuz thats when the auctions sky rocket.

Its gonna be a beautiful Christmas :D

Desperate enough to die? No

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
rastex said:
BB, CC, etc have given no information or made no guarantees for unit quantities so there's nothing for them to "correct".

they did in their flyers last sunday

lachesis

ManaByte said:
I just checked with the three Best Buys I normally go to and all three said they are getting exactly the number of systems they were expecting (couldn't say exactly how many though) and they said their allocation was NOT cut in any way.

So Gamestop is obviously just spreading FUD to divert the fury over another botched pre-order program on their part.

I don't know. It just sounds more like that Sony being BB's bitch (because BB's their biggest retail-outlet?), and GS being the small fish to be pushed around.

Nameless

lachesis said:
I don't know. It just sounds more like that Sony being BB's bitch (because BB's their biggest retail-outlet?), and GS being the small fish to be pushed around.

Thats pretty much it, I worked at Best Buy for the PS2 launch, BB got more units than anyone. Besides, you have to believe GS doesn't stand too high on Sony's list due to the fact that they cost Sony a good bit of $$$ by selling used merchandise.

so who is doing the calling? I got a call from 1-800-260-9883 just now but no one was at the other end of the call. I called them back, no answer. Is this the EB/GS thing or something else? I don't want to miss the call and they end up giving my preorder away to someone who was home. :mad:

mrroboto

Banned
After this latest fiasco with GS/EB I just can't understand why anyone would even bother shopping at their stores any longer. The "opened" but "new" games issue did it for me.

Nameless

bune duggy said:
so who is doing the calling? I got a call from 1-800-260-9883 just now but no one was at the other end of the call. I called them back, no answer. Is this the EB/GS thing or something else? I don't want to miss the call and they end up giving my preorder away to someone who was home. :mad:

Gamestop is lucky that they use an automated notification system.. Imagine if the employees had to call customers themselves.

bune duggy said:
Local store called me, so it wasn't a 1-800 number.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Local stores call you about the console, automated 800 calls are about titles you've reserved coming in.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Our system count at the local GameStop got cut in HALF. They went from about 18 units down to f**king 8. Luckily I'm the third reservation! The local Best Buy (Dadeland Mall) has 36 units in stock, too bad there's already 35 people out in line as of this morning.

OH and my local GameStop has their Wii's already, 35 of them in the backroom waiting for Sunday.

Top Bottom