• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers 2009 GOTY awards.

Dennis

Banned
Not a Jellyfish said:
Demon Soul is great and all but I think Dragon Age is should have won (played on PC). :D
Yes, but you see Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive and Gametrailers hate, hate to give the PC anything if they can avoid it :lol

Eh, Demon's Souls is hardly a terrible choice there. I would have picked Dragon Age but that's a matter of taste-it's different than their strategy pick , which is basically indefensible.

Lich_King

2iw68ad.jpg

Opiate

The gaming press' almost universal disinterest in strategy games has always irked me. They demand recognition as serious critics of a burgeoning medium, yet seem to have but a tenuous grasp on what is almost indisputably the most complex, intellectually demanding genre.

Dennis

Banned
Opiate said:
The gaming press' almost universal disinterest in strategy games has always irked me. They demand recognition as serious critics of a burgeoning medium, yet seem to have but a tenuous grasp on what is almost indisputably the most complex, intellectually demanding genre.
You may yourself have given the answer to why games journalists ignore strategy games :lol

They honestly could have just paid a ex-CGW freelancer $30 to write the thing for them and they would have gotten it totally right, that's the sad thing about it.

Ceebs

DennisK4 said:
You may yourself have given the answer to why games journalists ignore strategy games :lol
As far as the big sites coverage goes, for all his faults Garnett did make some actual attempts to play strategy games every once in a while to talk about on 1UPyours. That is about the best coverage they will ever get at outlets like that.

*not counting any of the actual CGW/GFW stuff 1UP had under their label.

emalord

Omotesando said:
They chose Demon's Souls as best new IP, that is unexpected from Gametrailers.

It's a logical choice.
No one of the listed new IP's has an hardcore fanbase as Demon's Souls.
To give this award to DS, means getting the sympathy of many people.
Game Trailers charisma gets a +3

emalord

Archie said:
Their logic was that you needed a $5000 PC to even boot Crysis, lol.

The fact is: strenght is usless without art direction.
To me, REmake is still one the best looking games to date.

MrPliskin

Banned
theluma said:
Fat Princess is hardly a strategy game...

Eh, in it's simplest form it most certainly is. It's got resources, classes, and upgrades / progression. It may not be as deep as something like Starcraft or Sins of the Solar Empire, but it's most certainly a strategy game on some level.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
UnluckyKate said:
Brutal Legend isn't a new IP ? Or is it Gametrailers being just... You know...

I wouldn't put Brutal Legend up there on the list either. Very disappointing.

Darklord

Banned
Dawn of War 2 is a million times better than Empire but hey this is GT.

It probably went:

"What strategy game should we decide?"
Shane: "Dawn of War 2 sucks its like all other RTS games its not even a real game its not on PS3 it fails. Who cares about this? Where's call of duty? Just pick whatever it's PC, it's dead no one cares anyway."

Swag

TheExodu5 said:
How the hell are some of you comparing that piece of ass Borderlands to Demon's Souls? Seriously.
I don't think the argument is that Borderlands should've won over DS, but that DJ Hero isn't as deserving of the nomination as Borderlands.

Alphahawk

What's up with linking only to the downloads and not the site itself?

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/gametrailers-game-of-the-year/12440-here's the link if anyone wants it...

TheExodu5

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I don't think the argument is that Borderlands should've won over DS, but that DJ Hero isn't as deserving of the nomination as Borderlands.

I'd say they're both equally deserving. DJ Hero is similar to a popular franchise, but happens to be a pretty good game. Probably the best rhythm game they've put out since GH2/RB. Borderlands is pretty much meh, apart from being one of the only playable shooter + rpg mashups.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
DennisK4 said:
Yes, but you see Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive and Gametrailers hate, hate to give the PC anything if they can avoid it :lol

Or maybe they were more interested in rewarding From Software for innovative work rather than something that's basically D&D Magnetic Poetry crammed into the BioWare RPG Plot.

Swag

TheExodu5 said:
I'd say they're both equally deserving. DJ Hero is similar to a popular franchise, but happens to be a pretty good game. Probably the best rhythm game they've put out since GH2/RB. Borderlands is pretty much meh, apart from being one of the only playable shooter + rpg mashups.
To each their own I guess, I didn't enjoy DJ Hero as much as borderlands but that may be because I'm burned out on the whole rhythm game genre. Not saying DJ hero is without it's merits, not at all, just Borderlands did it for me. I wonder what reasons they had for excluding Borderlands though.

Zzoram

Sebulon3k said:
To each their own I guess, I didn't enjoy DJ Hero as much as borderlands but that may be because I'm burned out on the whole rhythm game genre. Not saying DJ hero is without it's merits, not at all, just Borderlands did it for me. I wonder what reasons they had for excluding Borderlands though.

Activision has more advertising dollars.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
TheExodu5 said:
How the hell are some of you comparing that piece of ass Borderlands to Demon's Souls? Seriously.

Borderlands>Demon's Souls

If nobody has the balls to say it, I will.

DryvBy

I dunno why people freak out over this stuff. So, the GT staff thinks DJ Hero is worthy of something. And? That's their opinion. Probably an opinion using their wallets instead of their brains, but none-the-less, their opinion.

Real gamers know Borderlands is GOTY. :D

Did Demon's Souls get over a 9.3 from GT? I mean since they gave all that crap about original games being the only ones that can get higher surely the best new IP did right?

RefigeKru

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
Did Demon's Souls get over a 9.3 from GT? I mean since they gave all that crap about original games being the only ones that can get higher surely the best new IP did right?

What's this about?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TurtleSnatcher said:
DJ Hero was nominated into new IP over Borderlands..

wat?

That's Shane Satterfield's doing. He's GT's EoC and he's got the biggest raging hard-on for DJ Hero. It's probably his personal GoTY.

RefigeKru said:
What's this about?

GT gave Uncharted 2 a 9.3 and after the usual fanboy rage they made the dumb excuse that no game that wasn't original could get over 9.3. They then proceeded to give MW2 a 9.5.

SuperSonic1305 said:
GT gave Uncharted 2 a 9.3 and after the usual fanboy rage they made the dumb excuse that no game that wasn't original could get over 9.3. They then proceeded to give MW2 a 9.5.

:lol :lol

Awesome.

nib95

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:

Oh GT! :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheCardPlayer said:
Borderlands>Demon's Souls

If nobody has the balls to say it, I will.

It doesn't take balls to spit out incorrect statements. :D

Borderlands can't even hold Torchlight's jock if you take it as a loot game. It's an average FPS if you take it as such as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
DennisK4 said:
LOL Gametrailers GOTY awards

Was is 2007 they didn't give Best Graphics to Crysis :lol

How many sites did give it to Crysis though? I seem to remember very few did.

RefigeKru

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:

Haha, wow. As much as I enjoy the content on Gametrailers, they are laughable at times.

Kintaro said:
It doesn't take balls to spit out incorrect statements. :D

Borderlands can't even hold Torchlight's jock if you take it as a loot game. It's an average FPS if you take it as such as well.

I know your replying to someone else but my argument was more on the base that it should be nominee for new IP as opposed to not even be nominated at all while shit like DJ hero a rehashed game on a new instrument is suddenly a brand new IP...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
grandjedi6 said:
I love gametrailers but their GotY awards are always disasters.
Just their Game of the Year awards?

Every time we hear their opinion it is a disaster.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kintaro said:

Why can't I take it as an FPS loot game?

Top Bottom