• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers 2009 GOTY awards.

HiResDes

pizzaguysrevenge said:
It can go either way.
Yes this is pretty much true, especially considering the broad range of games within the hybrid genre. It is pretty much the most generic label you could ever give a game. Adventure games usually are dialogue driven, mystery/puzzle games, where the protagonist must follow a series of leads to come to a solution; whereas action games also encompass a variety of different genres all based around reaction timed gameplay.

HiResDes

_leech_ said:
"I could drop this L-block on the right side of the screen for one line or wait for the next T-block."

Holy shit, Tetris is an action/adventure, too.
yeah the funny thing is that what he's really trying to describe probably is more of an rpg element than anything...

emalord

Crewnh said:
"I could pick up that AK or use the M4 in the next section. Or maybe I should use that Dragon Sniper instead."

That sounds like I'm managing weapons right there.

No, you are choosing which weapon fits better to your style or to the current arena.
You can't do any action on any weapon in the game. There's no customisation, as, for example, with ninja gaiden blades and weapons.
That's why NG is action/adventure at its finest.
Do you see any other 'adventure' factor in NG?

emalord

HiResDes said:
yeah the funny thing is that what he's really trying to describe probably is more of an rpg element than anything...

I simply explained why GT left U2 out from the action/adventure genre.
You are sayin' a mistake was made. I don't agree with that, and I explained why.
All in my opinion, of course.
I do not want to start any fight, just gave my explanation.

Best Third Person Shooter
GTA: Episodes from LC
Red Faction
Resident Evil 5
Resistance
Uncharted 2

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-third-person-gt-goty/60212

Most Innovative Game
Demon's Souls
DJ Hero
Flower
Scribblenauts
Wii Sports Resort

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/most-innovative-gt-goty/60210

Best DS Game
GTA Chinatown Wars
Henry Hatsworth
Zelda
Mario & Luigi
Layton

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-nintendo-gt-goty/60209

Best RPG
Borderlands
Demon's Souls
Dragon Age
Half Minute Hero
Mario & Luigi

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-gt-goty/60211

DeadGzuz

Banned
So they separate TPS from FPS instead of just having "shooters? Well I hope Borderlands gets it, but I'm sure it won't.

I don't care what anyone says, Uncharted 2 is both an action adventure AND a third person shooter.

Action:

Hand to Hand combat.
Gunplay.
Explosions.
Excellent shoot outs.
Heart in mouth holy shit moments.
Optional Stealth.
Vehicle chases.

Adventure:

Heading across the world to find and stop an ancient artifact falling into the wrong hands, whilst making amazing discoveries along the way, with a rag-tag group of friends pulling aspects of the main characters personality out that you never knew existed before.

Third Person Shooter.

Its in third person.
You shoot people and objects.

Galvanise_ said:
I don't care what anyone says, Uncharted 2 is both an action adventure AND a third person shooter.

Third Person Shooter.

Its in third person.

Don't forget the significant multiplayer experience.

linsivvi

Galvanise_ said:

Third Person Shooter.

Its in third person.

In that case, these games:

Assassin's Creed 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
New Super Mario Bros Wii
inFamous
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

are all 3rd person shooters too.

linsivvi said:
In that case, these games:

Assassin's Creed 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
New Super Mario Bros Wii
inFamous
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

are all 3rd person shooters too.
Shooting is the biggest part of Uncharted 2's gameplay.

linsivvi

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Shooting is the biggest part of Uncharted 2's gameplay.

And how is that not the case for Ratchet and Infamous?

And then you have GTA counted as a 3rd person shooter while Infamous as an action adventure game. Looks like they are deliberately creating 2 awards for a crowded field.

linsivvi said:

InFamous isn't a shooter. You don't pull any triggers. Sure, you aim lightning at people and throw lightning grenades, but you don't actually shoot anyone. Yes, the ways you use the lightning strongly resemble shooting, but you know, technically its not.

linsivvi

Galvanise_ said:
InFamous isn't a shooter. You don't pull any triggers. Sure, you aim lightning at people and throw lightning grenades, but you don't actually shoot anyone. Yes, the ways you use the lightning strongly resemble shooting, but you know, technically its not.

I can't tell if you're being serious or just joking.

linsivvi said:

And then you have GTA counted as a 3rd person shooter while Infamous as an action adventure game. Looks like they are deliberately creating 2 awards for a crowded field.
I'd say Ratchet is a 3rd person shooter.

linsivvi said:
I can't tell if you're being serious or just joking.

I'm serious. I think shooters should be classified as having the main weapons being firearms.

The problem we have is that many games are blending genres together and its making it too hard to distil them down for categories for awards.

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't even understand why you all care so much. Uncharted still won something.

You are like one of those leaders from youth clubs that tries to make everyone feel good about themselves :lol . 'Nevermind mate, you still won something' .Its a damn competition. The best deserve to win and the worst deserve to be slapped in the face, pointed and laughed at. :D

Uncharted 2 is an action adventure title, as well as a TPS. It deserved to be at least on the list of nominees for both categories. Its been praised by critics and fans alike, and in my opinion, should have won both categories, should win best PS3 game, and win GOTY.

Its a matter of principle really.

Galvanise_ said:
You are like one of those leaders from youth clubs that tries to make everyone feel good about themselves :lol . 'Nevermind mate, you still won something' .Its a damn competition. The best deserve to win and the worst deserve to be slapped in the face, pointed and laughed at. :D

Uncharted 2 is an action adventure title, as well as a TPS. It deserved to be at least on the list of nominees for both categories. Its been praised by critics and fans alike, and in my opinion, should have won both categories, should win best PS3 game, and win GOTY.

smh

J-Rzez

~Devil Trigger~ said:
:lol :lol :lol

Action Adventure was clearly rigged for Batman to win one award.

This here should have stopped the Uncharted 2 genre discussion. It would have steamrolled Batman. They just didn't care about the slaughter fest that became of their TPS catagory, but they wanted to give Batman some credit in someway. Though ACreed 2 is a real contender too to Batman, it was a hot segment this year for sure.

And lol at thinking Borderlands is going to beat out "Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2" by Infinity Ward/Activision. Say it again, "Call of......", and there's your answer.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Galvanise_ said:

Jeez. It is just a website giving out some awards, not a manner of life and death.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Galvanise_ said:

I don't even know how to respond to this.

TheExodu5

Banned
omg uncharted 2 is an action, adventure, puzzle, strategy, tps, shooter, multiplayer, rpg, and should win all of the awards including goty. i'll enjoy it so much more if it wins all that! you guys can go back to your gears of crappy war and dirty halo.

_tetsuo_ said:
I don't even know how to respond to this.

Thats fine. I'm not overly bothered, although the way I express myself indicates otherwise.

There isn't any particular website/publications awards that I rank higher than others, and I don't even rate GAF's, even though I voted in it.

Its just a matter of principle. Its clearly a TPS and its clearly an action adventure title.

emalord said:
No, you are choosing which weapon fits better to your style or to the current arena.
You can't do any action on any weapon in the game. There's no customisation, as, for example, with ninja gaiden blades and weapons.
That's why NG is action/adventure at its finest.
Do you see any other 'adventure' factor in NG?
What does customizing have to do with adventure? Really now, you're just making shit up to define your version of the "adventure" aspect of gaming.

Q8D3vil

so demon's soul is more rpg than dragon age

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you GT .... fuck youuuuuuu

although DS deserve best new ip

Kittonwy

Banned
J-Rzez said:
This here should have stopped the Uncharted 2 genre discussion. It would have steamrolled Batman. They just didn't care about the slaughter fest that became of their TPS catagory, but they wanted to give Batman some credit in someway. Though ACreed 2 is a real contender too to Batman, it was a hot segment this year for sure.

And lol at thinking Borderlands is going to beat out "Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2" by Infinity Ward/Activision. Say it again, "Call of......", and there's your answer.

The whole "Batman AA getting critical acclaim because superhero licensed games are usually crap/Rocksteady coming out of nowhere and made a good game and should therefore get an award of some kind" has seriously gotten out of hand, don't get me wrong, I like Batman AA, bought the game, finished it, thought it was pretty good but I never for once thought it was GOTY material or even a genre-winner. I think a few years from now people are going to look back and realize how overrated Batman AA gradually became.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oh my lord, the Uncharted 2 bitching in this thread makes you all look like fucking idiots. Even after it won people continued.

emalord

Galvanise_ said:
Adventure:

Heading across the world to find and stop an ancient artifact falling into the wrong hands, whilst making amazing discoveries along the way, with a rag-tag group of friends pulling aspects of the main characters personality out that you never knew existed before.

I think here lies the nod.
The misunderstanding is that action/adventure is not the sum of action and adventure (meant as sense of wonder and exploration)

If it was this way, every game would be an action/adventure. Because in every game you make actions (iteraction) and you hope to live the greatest adventure of your life (heck, you don't pay 60 bucks to play the part of a... plumber)

In gaming, adventure is a term historically related to an RPG approach. One name for all: MANIAC MANSION. It's an old school adventure game.

So, when you play an action game, and you find yourself wandering in menus customizing weapons, armors, skills, good or bad related powers, then you are playing an action+adventure game.
It happens in ASSASSIN'S CREED II and in iNFAMOUS too. Even more clearly in NINJA GAIDEN, DEVIL MAY CRY and BAYONETTA.

In Uncharted2 you do not make anything like this. You just shoot and solve some rare puzzles. And yes, you live an adventure, a fantastic one.
But nothing to do with adventure games.

Loudninja

Crewnh said:
What does customizing have to do with adventure? Really now, you're just making shit up to define your version of the "adventure" aspect of gaming.

Yeah I am really not getting this, sounds like he is describing an RPG if anything.

Top Bottom