• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers: Most Wanted Nintendo Franchises for iOS and Android.

Now I'm sure you are trolling. Denial? I'm not the one who thinks an Apple device that got successful by being and Apple device, with no real fun games to play, is the utopian future of gaming. As you've pointed out, trends change and people buy different things.

In half a decade, there's no telling if iDevices will be as successful.

I don't give a shit about Apple. I'm certainly not saying "Nintendo will be releasing games on Apple devices". I'm talking about common sense. Mobile phones will be the only portable devices people have on them out the house. There will be no necessity in 2017 for a gaming handheld to exist. So Nintendo will either try to be Apple, which I can't imagine working, or they'll release games for a standardised platform.

This isn't me saying "Mobile phones are better than handhelds!". I'm looking at it logically. For me, the idea of taking my handheld out the house is already insane. I have a 3DS and would never consider just casually taking it out the house. Unlike my phone, which I obviously have on me all the time.

This isn't me saying "Mobile phones are better than handhelds!". I'm looking at it logically. For me, the idea of taking my handheld out the house is already insane. I have a 3DS and would never consider just casually taking it out the house. Unlike my phone, which I obviously have on me all the time.

See, I have no problem wearing a girly satchel bag and taking both. I regularly go on long bus journeys to see family, and in those kind of situations it's perfectly logical to take my 3DS. I'm saying, there is clearly a market for the portables, as they are still selling. Whether you are a part of that market or not is irrelevant, it still exists.

Oh whew, it's that stupid ass Side Mission shit. The other day they put up the angry hitler youtube meme as a fucking story about Diablo 3 server woes.

This thing is akin to a 16 year olds blog.

Also, I'll say this again; try playing any Super Mario Bros. game with touch-screen controls. Please. Attempt to do so, then tell me it's a legitimate idea.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Since it's a wishlist I'll play along.

I think Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, and Professor Layton would work very well on iOS.

Also, I'll say this again; try playing any Super Mario Bros. game with touch-screen controls. Please. Attempt to do so, then tell me it's a legitimate idea.

People don't care. If a game controls like shit on the prominent gaming devices, it'll just not be popular. Mario is the thing that needs to adapt, not the mobiles.

PKrockin

For me, the idea of taking my handheld out the house is already insane. I have a 3DS and would never consider just casually taking it out the house. Unlike my phone, which I obviously have on me all the time.

That's weird because I have my phone and 3DS in my pocket at all times. I never thought doing so was insane.

20050818howaboutanicecupofshutthefuc.jpg

People don't care. If a game controls like shit on the prominent gaming devices, it'll just not be popular. Mario is the thing that needs to adapt, not the mobiles.

Now you're just talking out of your rear end.

Mario needs to become a Canabalt style TAP 2 JUMP game I suppose you'll say next? That's a perfectly logical thing to do?

jman2050

I don't give a shit about Apple. I'm certainly not saying "Nintendo will be releasing games on Apple devices". I'm talking about common sense. Mobile phones will be the only portable devices people have on them out the house. There will be no necessity in 2017 for a gaming handheld to exist. So Nintendo will either try to be Apple, which I can't imagine working, or they'll release games for a standardised platform.

People want to play game x, they buy Nintendo hardware y. That's how it works. That's how it's ALWAYS worked. As long as Nintendo makes games people want to play, their handheld business will continue to exist.

People want to play game x, they buy Nintendo hardware y. That's how it works. That's how it's ALWAYS worked. As long as Nintendo makes games people want to play, their handheld business will continue to exist.

Disagree.

This is an argument I can't win on NeoGAF though.

DynamicG

The issue I have with your statement is that you seem to argue a straight linear decline in gaming handhelds and base this only on personal impressions rather than actual data that is published. 3DS is not selling great in the US, but it did recover and will likely be a viable handheld. Vita is not doing well anywhere. There's likely more nuance in the story than you are giving it.

I agree that SOMEDAY they will likely go away, but in the same way that arcades have gone away. I rarely see arcades in the US, but I still see coin-op video game machines all over the place. The dedicated handheld market may shrink dramatically, but we don't know if it will go away completely or just be a niche market.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since an image speaks a thousands words:

FZero of all things. Have they played those hideous racing games on smartphones? Auto acceleration is the bane of any racing game let alone a super fast one like FZero. Jesus Christ Almighty on a cheese and ham sandwich, one of the most idiotic things I've read all day.

bomma_man

Those mini games from Mario 64 DS would be perfect on iOS, as would Wario Ware and advance Wars. Never gonna happen though.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo's handhelds and consoles became one and the same though, especially if you take the Wii U tablet concept to its logical conclusion.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Is this the idea that they want to play the gaming experience on the phone, or just the name? To legitimately say "I'm playing Mario on my iPhone!" without referring to some downloaded ROMs? Even though they clearly won't play the same and changing the games to work on the hardware would not make them the same games anymore, in as much as Yoshi Touch n' Go is any bit as much a sequel to Yoshi's Island as Yoshi's Island DS was?

Because really it's about high time we evaluate what games mean to us, then.

Butter_Stick, didn't you JUST get back a few weeks ago from a ban after making one too many stupid ass arguments?

You'd think to chill out on them for a little bit.

Butter_Stick, didn't you JUST get back a few weeks ago from a ban after making one too many stupid ass arguments?

You'd think to chill out on them for a little bit.

There's nothing stupid about thinking handheld consoles are an outdated concept. The difference is the people who think differently are being rather aggressive about how their opinion is correct. I don't care if you agree with me, I'm entitled to my opinion. This is America. Love it or leave it.

Nibel

Personal insults, smh

Just spin every post like you want to - I meant that you are really the "nanana I don't want to hear it"-type.

And it doesn't annoy people that you have a different opinion; it's annoying that you seem to ignore most facts about Nintendo and what they are capable of. I use both 3DS and a iPhone 4S and plan to get a Macbook Pro, but also a Wii U. YOU can't decide what people need or want and what they don't need or want.

But whatever, I'm out of here

There's nothing stupid about thinking handheld consoles are an outdated concept. The difference is the people who think differently are being rather aggressive about how their opinion is correct. I don't care if you agree with me, I'm entitled to my opinion. This is America. Love it or leave it.

Yes, it's America. You're entitled to free speech. But if you're argument is deemed ridiculous and baseless by a number of people, you have to question how true your archaic beliefs are.

massoluk

Banned

Wow.

Bumhead

Banned
Nintendo will keep making products for as long as people continue to buy those products. Its that simple, really.

The 3DS doesn't need to outsell an Apple product, or match the iPhone step for step. It doesn't even need to sell as many units as the DS did. It just needs to be successful enough to be a worthwhile, profitable release for Nintendo. Nothing more. If in 5 years time Nintendo think there is still enough of a market for them to do that again, and release another profitable system even if its only to service a comparatively niche market, then they will release another.

The 3DS is doing OK right now. Didn't it sell over 16 million units in its first year? Is there another single consumer electronics product on the planet right now that sells more than 16 million in a year, other than Apple hardware?

mdtauk

These Apple fanboy tech journalists/bloggers seem to think that if they complain loud enough, they will force Nintendo to support iOS devices!

How would F-Zero be even remotely playable? Gyro controls wouldn't work for a game that requires that much precision. From Nintendo's stable, only the Excite series would really work out and that's just because precision is out the window when you can smash your way through the environment.

(Any gaffer that hasn't purchased Excite Trucks/Bots is part of the problem...they hate the idea of fun.)

Edit: Swype, fucking swype.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

:lol Was that necessary?

Top Bottom