• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Unravel dev: Nintendo is very secretive about NX, Unravel port talk.

Schnozberry

The thing is technology has surpassed them for almost 7-8 years. What else could the possibly implement that other companies outside of gaming haven't?
They really don't have a lot to choose from if they are going to have some sort of gimmick. And even if it's some kind of weird display controller, I don't think it will make the splash they think it will.
VR is truly in a league of it's own and after 2017, it will start to get more and more attention with better software. What Nintendo needs right now is just a solid plan in executing a great console without all the gimmicky stuff.

And with how it sounds they have been approaching the issues that have plagued them throughout their whole console history, seems that they haven't learned anything. So unless these quotes are totally out of context, it sounds like it's going to be mostly Nintendo on their own in the beginning to prove to developers that they are a viable option, and willing to work with developer's/publisher's outside of their Japanese relations.

I don't know what they'll implement, and neither it seems does anyone else. As you would expect, they seem to think their concept is pretty novel. I hope they're right. They've made good moves partnering with DeNA for their online infrastructure, and they are right on the cusp of a major technological shift with Vulkan and 14nm AMD chips both being possibilities for them. Samsung began mass production on it's 14nm FinFET process in January.

In terms of third party success, none of their partners have been revealed. I don't think it's all that surprising that they wouldn't spill their guts to an Indie Dev who they haven't done business with before.

Neff

I don't think Nintendo realise exactly how low down on the food chain they are in regards to third party developers.

I don't think people realise how Nintendo realise exactly how low down on the food chain they are in regards to third party developers and are attempting to do something about it.

Aces&Eights

7wzQvtu.jpg

Sorry for the low effort spray paint text. :p

This is a great post. No one can even begin to say what will save something when no one even knows what the damn thing is. I have loved Nintendo for decades. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but damn, Nity, devs are what will make you succeed herp derp.

If there's one thing that the PS4 has taught the industry, it's that AAA games, not exclusives, move consoles. I would expect Nintendo will focus on the big fish prior to launch.

fernoca

If one thing sucks about the secrecy around the NX is this kind of articles (and therefore threads).

No offense, but this (like the Ori and the Blind Forest dev -and I know you post here so nothing personal- :p) are developers that has released nothing on Nintendo platforms (with the exception of one late port for Wii in the case of the Unravel dev) and somehow expect to receive dev kits for unnanounced platforms when asked at will? It is after release and it is sometimes difficult to get loan kits and dev kits.

I know Nintendo needs to get as much developers as they can. Which is what they've been doing with third parties recently. With indies? They've been cultivating things for years. Indies in general have nothing but praise towards how Nintendo handled things during this years with the Wii U and 3DS.

If they waited all this years to get something on a Nintendo platform, waiting a few monthhs shouldn't be a problem. If the excuse to release nothing on Wii U was Nintendo not striking deals with them (neither they will now) and if it was the low installbase, on Wii U is still higher than NX which is currently 0.

Just look at the likes of Shin'en who has been nearly exclusive to Nintendo haven't said anything about Nintendo and the NX other than been excited to try it. And they have grounds to talk and complain about Nintendo secrecy and not giving them kits earlier.

But we live in times that everything is..."now".

Yeah Sony did well by revealing the PS4 soon...but Microsoft did a mess that took a lot of backpedalling and apologies ...and still left a bad image on many.

You know what's a sure fired way to make sure you don't get NX dev kits? Going on NeoGaf and then whining that you don't get one. Doing that pretty makes it seem like you'd be the first dev to break the NDA and leak everything to insiders.
I'm sure like a lot of trusted smaller devs like Shin'en, Renegade Kid and Wayforward probably have dev kits, but when you haven't made a game on their consoles before then you go to Nintendo to ask for a dev kit for a console that exist in name alone, get rejected and then go to Neogaf to talk about it, that sure doesn't inspire trust.

Peterc

Just like it blew everyone away with the Wii U all 5 million people playing it.

Nintendo is starting with a whole new team and idea together with young developers.
They can deside for parts what needs to be done.

The nx starts from zero.

Wiiu failed because of many reason, wii was one of them.
They already let us know that it would not be another wii/nds again.

schaft0620

Nintendo is starting with a whole new team and idea together with young developers.
They can deside for parts what needs to be done.

The nx starts from zero.

Wiiu failed because of many reason, wii was one of them.
They already let us know that it would not be another wii/nds again.

You said again? Like the Gamecube?

OK I am done trolling, I think there is a 50/50 chance that the NX is going to be bigger than anything in gaming to be honest.

Peterc

You said again? Like the Gamecube?

OK I am done trolling, I think there is a 50/50 chance that the NX is going to be bigger than anything in gaming to be honest.

=) lol
Gamecube was a good system (in power terms).
It failed because of bad advertising and 3rd party support.

But lets wait untill e3

Xenoblade

If there's one thing that the PS4 has taught the industry, it's that AAA games, not exclusives, move consoles. I would expect Nintendo will focus on the big fish prior to launch.

I disagree. PS4 taught us that a perfect storm of marketing and hype sells consoles. The PS4 was marketed perfectly before and after the console launched.

Before launch, Sony made gamers believe that their console was an absolute powerhouse when, in actuality, it's really not. They also took advantage of Microsoft's failings perfectly.

After launch the console was sold out everywhere. This made the console look like a highly sought after device, further increasing hype. Sony also employed the 'For The Players' moniker, cementing themselves as the go-to console in gamers minds.

Some would say it was pure genius. Not really. They just did what was, at least in many gamers minds, the common sense thing to do.

Banned
I'm getting some serious deja vu from four years ago.
Yeah man it's 2012 all over again.

"There's no news and it'd all quiet because all of Nintendo's teams and third party devs are working on games for Wii U" *launches terribly with huge software droughts and abandoned third party support by next year*

Gator86

Yeah man it's 2012 all over again.

"There's no news and it'd all quiet because all of Nintendo's teams and third party devs are working on games for Wii U" *launches terribly with huge software droughts and abandoned third party support by next year*

This is the only fate I can imagine for the NX. I just have zero faith in them figuring out how to produce a credible console in 2016. All these NX threads mostly served to remind me to dig my WiiU out from under the dust pile and sell it before the NX news starts pouring out and its value craters.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
=) lol

But lets wait untill e3

Those two still seem to be the biggest issues for Nintendo.

Sure, they did a great job with Splatoon, but they also kind of failed with any advertising after that.

Calvero

Banned
There's only so much one can infer from that quotation. We don't know who it is that Sahlin spoke to, nor the circumstances of that conversation. I sincerely doubt this conversation with "a person from Nintendo" reflects the actual pitch process. I'd be very careful (read: reluctant) to draw any assumptions from this stump of an article.

this

Diffense

If preventing the concept from leaking is a priority for Nintendo they have no choice but to limit who they share info with before the official reveal. They may be intending to have the launch window covered with their own software and close collaborations. At this point we've heard rumors from different people suggesting that both Zelda and Smash will be coming to NX near launch. If the majority of third party support follows Nintendo's initial wave of software I think it could work out for them anyway.

Maebe

It would be quite embarrassing if the ideas they are so secretive about are really bad ones no one is interested in copying ever

QaaQer

I disagree. PS4 taught us that a perfect storm of marketing and hype sells consoles. The PS4 was marketed perfectly before and after the console launched.

Before launch, Sony made gamers believe that their console was an absolute powerhouse when, in actuality, it's really not. They also took advantage of Microsoft's failings perfectly.

After launch the console was sold out everywhere. This made the console look like a highly sought after device, further increasing hype. Sony also employed the 'For The Players' moniker, cementing themselves as the go-to console in gamers minds.

Some would say it was pure genius. Not really. They just did what was, at least in many gamers minds, the common sense thing to do.

Naw, they were just the only ones who didn't shit the bed with tone deaf products. Sony marketing is not genius nor capable of brainwashing.

Oersted

I have no expectations at all for 3rd party support at launch for this thing so anything will be a pleasant surprise. At this point with their history expecting a turn around is just asking for disappointment

You are basing this at one single indie dev.

Naw, they were just the only ones who didn't shit the bed with tone deaf products. Sony marketing is not genius nor capable of brainwashing.

Sony's marketing hit a nerve. They said the right things at the right time.

Banned
It would be quite embarrassing if the ideas they are so secretive about are really bad ones no one is interested in copying ever
Like the Wii U? Which was essentially a DS made into a home console. It's not like Nintendo was ahead of the curve with that idea, after all Xbox did smartglass a year before. It's that nobody cared about it and didn't think it would sell like motion controls did.

MK_768

You are basing this at one single indie dev.

Sony's marketing hit a nerve. They said the right things at the right time.

Exactly. I mean all you have to do is look at the drubbing Sony did on Microsoft at E3 in 2013.

It became clear that the PS4 was gonna do better than the Xbox One at the start. Sony did a great job with the messaging.

Instro

=) lol

But lets wait untill e3

I would say they also handicapped themselves with the minidisc issue, along with not attempting any online connectivity at all.

From a person that claimed to have inside information, the NX is "awesome." Guess we will see.

Also, I wouldn't put too much thought about his statement at this time. The conversation happened at an unspecific time in the past, and we know that people who does know about the NX are under strict NDA to the point that they are not suppose to state that they are on a NDA.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You know what's a sure fired way to make sure you don't get NX dev kits? Going on NeoGaf and then whining that you don't get one. Doing that pretty makes it seem like you'd be the first dev to break the NDA and leak everything to insiders.
I'm sure like a lot of trusted smaller devs like Shin'en, Renegade Kid and Wayforward probably have dev kits, but when you haven't made a game on their consoles before then you go to Nintendo to ask for a dev kit for a console that exist in name alone, get rejected and then go to Neogaf to talk about it, that sure doesn't inspire trust.

I feel like you still havent learn anything from all these years. its Nintendo and you are being too optimistic. I dont expect these guys will have a dev kit too.

Fredrik

Like the Wii U? Which was essentially a DS made into a home console. It's not like Nintendo was ahead of the curve with that idea, after all Xbox did smartglass a year before. It's that nobody cared about it and didn't think it would sell like motion controls did.
Wasn't smartglass unveiled after WiiU? I remember reading articles about it comparing it to WiiU at the reveal. They probably toyed with the tablet idea internally at the same time though.
Smartglass is a joke technically compared to WiiU though. What made WiiU look so cool at the unveil was the no-latency off-TV streaming and the standard to have a big touch screen and awesome physical sticks and buttons around the screen for all games to use. We had seen tablet gaming years before WiiU on iOS and there were physical buttons too as accessories, but tablet gaming was at least in my opinion crap since touch Dpad etc controls were always the main control method and usung physical buttons were an after thought. WiiU had it all, touch screen, physical buttons, pixel precision stylus, second screen latency free streaming, and it was all standard. I still love the concept of it all, it's just too bad that the rest of the world didn't. :/

Um...
1. What developers whined on GAF about not receiving a NX dev kit?
2. The Wii U is the worst selling console since the Dreamcast with abysmal third party support and your idea is to tell developers who haven't worked on a Nintendo system before to fuck off? Are you insane?

It's over two years later and PS4 sales have increased YOY, yet you're still trying to hand wave away Sony's success?

AzaK

So, given that ports aren't an instant thing, this feels unhelpful for a system coming out in 9 months.

Holding out until the reveal is a bit different when that reveal is 18 months before launch instead of 6 months.

Yeah if they are really holding back like it seems, it's hubris to the max. They are getting their arses kicked and have had a console with so few games because devs have abandoned them and they are not pulling in all the devs they can. It's this sort of rubbish that really makes me want to see Nintendo fail again.

Yeah, the worst with this secrecy it will be if it will end with "that's it?".

It in all likely will. Nintendo always think they have the best thing since sliced bread, and rarely is that actually true in the console space.

lherre

Accurate
I know a lot of devs without any info too or idea of what it is ... so again i'm not surprised and I don't think is a good thing to be honest.

Top Bottom