• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming clothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this shirt:

oAp80cd.jpg

Along with a few other WoW ones. :/

Wait, people really think you can't wear TSHIRTS with a graphic after a certain age? That's a real thing?

That's weird to me too.

I have a lot a weird t-shirts that I wear. Band t-shirts, tv show shirts, game shirts. I really like overly large, comfortable t-shirts. Of course I won't wear them somewhere where I need to dress in a skirt or something, but yeah.

Tenks

Wait, people really think you can't wear TSHIRTS with a graphic after a certain age? That's a real thing?

The best is everyone wants a shirt that doesn't scream gaming so they are left with a fairly ugly and plain graphic tshirt they paid $20 for that is vaguely gaming related. Makes no sense to me.

DERF

My wife rocks some nice portal earrings on occasion and I have an aperture labs test subject hat. We both get an occasional comment on them and they are always positive.

I've gotten to where I prefer plain t-shirts, although it depends on the outing. Going to a gaming convention? Perfect time to break out those gaming shirts in the back of the closet.

I fly model planes, and have some shirts with various pictures/slogans other members of that community would appreciate, so I bust those out of the back of the closet as well when attending those functions.

Wearing stuff with imagery that I know the rest of the public wouldn't get makes me feel very self-conscious the older I get. If I'm going out shopping or social gatherings outside of gaming/flying interests I'll wear a plain t-shirt.

As for comfortable attire while gaming - t-shirt or polo and cargo shorts/pants (ones that fit, none of this sagging-below-my-ass-showing-my-underwear-bullshit).

I'm not hiding who I am, fuck that! I wear my Umbrella Corporation and Galaga screen t-shirt with pride. Wearing these shirts makes for good conversation while waiting in line at the bank or checkout at the supermarket.

I got a lot of different interests. Doesn't mean I have a shirt for all of them.

I used to buy them when I was in high school, now I wonder why I even did so. I find the design to be too cluttered now or made of cheap material. When I was in college, I saw a lot of people screen printing shirts for cons so I guess there's that route.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I stopped buying gamer shirts. I felt like I'd be better off looking preppy more than anything.

I had like one Zelda coat which was awesome back in high school. And then I wore the Legendary Halo t-shirt. I was a little pudgy back then and boy did it show in that shirt. lol wow it just feels like I'll never wear that type of clothing again.

However; I do have one from Justin Wong's film "King of Chinatown" that I thought looked cool. I wear that once in a while. But outside of that, nope.

I also have a Leon S. Kennedy RCPD t-shirt I ordered from Capcom that I never wear, a very ugly NES shirt, and some other things.. And while I'm on the subject, this reminds me. F*ck all these guys talking about game collections like its a bad thing or a thing to itself. lol

Tonguer

I guess I just don't see it as that different than wearing a sports team logo or something similar.

Yep, I'm in this camp. Well said.

If wearing a nice shirt, hat, hoodie, etc that has a gaming tone makes somebody else point and laugh, or snicker to themselves with some 'air of superiority', I can say pretty confidently that don't care about that person's opinion.

Now, that Donkey Kong shirt? Just Say No. Gaudy or Garish is that way despite the subject.

Thats just because you know what it is.

Normal people dont give a fuck. Its not like Mass Effect is popular culture.

Yes it is.

Anyway, gents, if you're going to insist on wearing these, just make sure they're clean and the right size. I've seen some pretty traumatising things in the office.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I love stuff like this, because if you don't know the character it just looks like a more elaborate hoodie design. Otherwise I don't really wear gaming shirts. I have a bunch of them I got for free in the past but I generally don't wear them outside the house.

4wPusjX.jpg

Yes it is.

Anyway, gents, if you're going to insist on wearing these, just make sure they're clean and the right size. I've seen some pretty traumatising things in the office.

Its really not.

No one I work with knows what Mass Effect is, let alone what N7 means, unless they are relatively hardcore gamers.

ultron87

Yes it is.

Thank you for this general advice that can apply to all clothes anyone wears ever.

That fallout new Vegas shirt looks really nice and I'd wear if I had it

There are some gaming/movies/tv/etc shirts that look good to wear, I've got these iron man threadless shirts a while back and I've gotten good comments about them. It just depends on the design and look

Lmao at that super Mario advance 2 and DK shirt, I'd wear those for working out/work if I had them, no lie

Shirts like "you're mom: rated E for everyone" are ok as a joke and one time use but if you make that a shirt you wear weekly then idk it'd look bad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I feel that generally, shirts with any kind of graphic or art on them need to just be minimal, or a reference needs to be wrapped within a cool design. And text generally is a deterrent for me as well. I don't want an Assassin's Creed shirt with giant 'ASSASSIN'S CREED' text all over it. I don't want Scorpion's mug on my chest.

I don't mind geeky references, but the imagery has to look good on its own. Not just be "LOOK! HEY! I PLAY VIDEOGAMES! HEY GUYS, I'M A GAMER! VIDEOGAAAAAMES!!!!" Seriously, fuck that shit.

This would be fine. It's a simple design that doesn't draw attention to itself too much, but when you look, it's relatively clever.
fig,forest,mens,ffffff.jpg

These are fine too.
fig,black,mens,ffffff.jpg

fig,black,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

fig,creme,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

This? This is not okay.
fig,black,mens,ffffff.u3.jpg

Less "KNOW YOUR MUSHROOMS" "SAVE DA PRINCESS LOL" and more subtle shit. Nobody's going to know what a Triforce symbol is. Except people who would appreciate it.

Carnby

The only game shirt I own.

The prince and his katamari are made out of fuzzy black material.

I honestly can't stand the game shirts that are a reference of a reference of a reference. Like that Mario 3 X Starfox shirt above.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The only game shirt I own.

The prince and his katamari are made out of fuzzy black material.

I honestly can't stand the game shirts that are a reference of a reference of a reference. Like that Mario 3 X Starfox shirt above.

It's actually a Guardians of the Galaxy reference... *pushes up glasses*

Atsumi

I really like some of the options in the Bioware, Bungie, and Valve stores. I've gotten a couple of tank tops that are pretty nice (Bioware's and Bungie's shirts are higher quality than Valve's though)

I can't do men's shirts because they swallow me. If anyone has suggestions with a large selection for women, that would be great!

I really like some of the options in the Bioware, Bungie, and Valve stores. I've gotten a couple of tank tops that are pretty nice (Bioware's and Bungie's shirts are higher quality than Valve's though)

I can't do men's shirts because they swallow me. If anyone has suggestions with a large selection for women, that would be great!
Bungie has really great stuff that's not in your face and is pleasing without understanding the reference. Their Destiny stuff in particular is super rad, and I love their shirt quality.

Double Fine has some cool designs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom