• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Music x The Internet

This thread is for 3 groups of people.

1. The original composers. For giving us amazing music but also for them to see what the world did with their music. (fat chance any of them will see this thread but who knows!)
2. For the youtube content creators in this thread. They do amazing work and deserve all the credit and attention they can get.
3. For the readers and posters of Neogaf. For giving me awesome stuff over the years in many shapes and forms.

So to honor and thank them all, I decided to compile a list of really good gaming music. No originals though but arrangements, covers and things like that.

Please add things you like as well or simply discuss the things posted. I will try to update the OP once in a while to add some of the things posted by you guys. Perhaps it can be an archive of some sort?

DO NOT JUST POST LINKS WITHOUT NAME OR DESCRIPTION! Please use the following format: *Game Title - Track title*. Or *Game title Medley*. Also, please try to add a description if you can and think it is necessary.

Anyway, enough talk, here is my list. I hope you girls and guys will enjoy.

-130Grit Sound Studio
This channel is really awesome. He uses different genres to turn already good gamingtracks into really great stuff while staying true to the originals.
Highly recomended! Examples:

Starfox 64 - Star Wolf Theme (Surf Rock Cover) Yes, you read that right.

Super Smash Bros. 64 - Yoshi's Island Stage (Funk Cover)

Super Mario 64 - Cool Cool Mountain (Jazz/Funk Cover) Smoooooth.

The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Astral Observatory (Shoegaze Cover)

Mario Kart 64 - Luigi's Raceway (Funk Cover)

Megaman 2 - Woodman theme (Surf Rock Cover) More surf rock!

-The Consouls
A jazz assemble that makes pretty ridiculous stuff. I love these guys. Examples:

Splatoon - Splattack! So different from the original but still the same. Love it.

F-Zero - Big Blue

SuperSmashBrothers Melee - Battlefield Soooo gooood...

StreetFighter II - Ken's theme

The legend of Zelda: A link to the past - the Dark world

-supershigi
When people start singing trough gaming music I usually close the tab but next to having quite a nice voice and some fine piano training, her songs always seem to work. Also nice instrumentals. Examples:

The Legend of Zelda - Kakariko Village (vocal remix)

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess (vocal remix) If the vocals turn you off, at least give this one a try.

Crossing: New Leaf - Brewster's Song (Vocal Remix) (with lyrics and everything)

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Zone B (piano improvisation)
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Zone J (piano improvisation) (Not one but two rescueranger covers. Had to include them)

-Video Game Pianist
Once known as the blindfolded pianist, this guy is basically the original. He's been around forever and his piano skills are pretty ridiculous. Playing all the classics with a passion! Examples:

Super Mario Medley The one and only classic.

NieR - Song of the Ancients

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Title (for Four Pianos) Very soothing.

Banjo-Kazooie medley A 43:36 minute long BK medley because why the hell not.

Oh and adding these to trigger some nostalgia for a slightly forgotten mario game:
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Choose Your Pipe
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Mario Zone
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Tree Zone

-Aivi Tran
A great pianist with awesome arrangements. The collaborations are also great. Her recent work with surasshu is pretty sick as you can check out below. Examples:

Skies of Arcadia - Fina's Theme

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Main Street How can this not make you feel good?

MarioParty - Rainbow Castle

The legend of Zelda: WindWaker - DragonRoost Island Both solo's (kinda) in this track are amazing.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone

Animal Crossing - K.K. Crusin' (Interstate 5 Remix) This remix is one of the best things in this thread in my opinion.

Bonus: Aivi Tran - Hello Moon (Bomberman 64 Soundfont) This concept blows my mind. A soundfont?! This is a original composition by Aivi Tran with the soundfont of Bomberman 64. I wish this was done more often!

-Bulby
This guy deserves a spot! Turns anything into a chiptune. Either a 8bit, or 16 bit (with a SNES or Genisis vibe). Some examples:

Banjo-Kazooie - TreasureTrove Cove (8Bit)

Uncharted - Nate's theme (16bit)

Killer Instinct - Jago's theme (8bit)

Ducktales - Transylvania (16bit) Double the bits!

-insaneintherainmusic
Here we have a guy who made some of my favorite gaming music arrangements online. He primarily uses jazz and is very, very good at it. Examples:

Animal Crossing Wild World - Title screen(Jazz Cover)

Splatoon - Splattack Funk (Jazz cover)

Pikmin - Forest of hope (Jazz cover) Nice and chill.

Megaman 2 - Crashman (Jazz cover)

DonkeyKong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony (Jazz cover) For me, one of the best in the thread for sure.

-Mesmonium
Does really cool things with the music. Adds beats where they are not expected or funks things up. Really nice channel. Examples:

The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Astral observatory Give this one some time till the bass hits. Not the beat but the bass (0:35)

Metroid Prime - Phendrana depths

The legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Lanayru desert This track is worth your time.

Animal Crossing - K.K. Cruisin' This gem spawned the next video making it amazing without doubt:
KK Slider vs Ice Cube

-Soundole VGM Covers
Electronic windinstruments! Works really well with most old gaming music. He does more less-known games as well. Examples:

Gargoyle's Quest (gameboy) - medley I like this one since covers for this game are rare. This one is awesome.

Ducktales - The Amazon With beatbox!

Terranigma - Town Could not post this thread with something Terranigma in it.

Faxanadu - The Guru's Mantra

Actraiser - Birth of the people

-Smooth McGroove
Most people here know this guy but I didn't want to exclude him. All just him doing acapella gametunes. Pretty amazing vocal skills and he never misses a note.
Shoutouts to his cat
Examples:

Megaman 2 - Metalman

Kirby's dreamland - Bubbly Clouds

Xenoblade Chronicles - Gauer Planes The notes he lands in this one are insane!

Streetfighter II - Goes with everything

Final Fantasy VII - Battle theme (one of his older ones but still good stuff).

-Mariachi Entertainment System
Gamingmusic with a mariachi! Already a thread about these guys here at gaf but the more attention, the better. Examples:

Ducktales - The Moon

Megaman 2 - Dr Wily's castle

The Legend of Zelda: a link to the past - The dark world

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears

Very very VERY honorable mentions:

The legend of Zelda Ocarina of time - Medley by samuraiguitarist

The legend of Zelda: Majora's mask - Astral observatory musicbox version by MerryberryMusic If you have young kids, use this wisely.

Streetfighter II - Vega's theme (guitar duet) by Songe (feat. Kev) (I will post more by this guy later for sure)

A bit of 8-bit 1
A bit of 8-bit 2 Both by Joe Jeremiah

Mariokart 64 - Winner by Connor B. Fitz NEVER expected someone to cover or re-arrange this song but I'm so happy it happened.

Monstrous turtles by zircon

Super Metroid - Brinstar (red soil) by Jackson Parodi Metroid x accordion. Hell. Yes.

Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience by Vig

Animal Crossing - Rainy day by skindlesmusic

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude by theergosonic This one is one of my favorites as well. Amazing to listen to.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - Medley by Virt

The last Ninja - Wilderness by lazygecko

Spy vs Spy - Commodore64 remix by Robert Engstrand

Legend of Kage - Traditional Japanese/Orchestral Style by Vurez Will post more from this channel later. Really good!

Well, that took about as much time as I expected o_O...

I tried not to repeat any songs but sometimes just had to.
Please let me know if any links are broken or if any of the information in this thread is incorrect.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT JUST POST LINKS WITHOUT NAME OR DESCRIPTION, hope you enjoy and I look forward to your contributions.

Edit: clarified the posting links thing.

Edit 2:
Added in thread (more detailed posts can of course be found below):

Reyn Ouwehand doing a live mix of Green Beret (Commodore 64) by himself. Clever stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8UBY8Yj9c0

Prof. Sakamoto piano covers are so damn good. I'm posting the less obvious ones (more in his channel).

Chrono Trigger Medley
Xenogears Medley
Mother Medley

Splatoon - 8bit REMIX

producing music with MV and everything (while keeping the ridiculous over the top but, at the same time, awesome helmet)

New from me:

WaveRace - Config/Options Remix By Iceferno Remixes

Unfortunately not enough WaveRace covers....

While i go through the tracks you posted i would like to present you the following remake from one of my favourite games and one of my favourite composers of of all time.

Star Ocean 1 - Calm Time ('Summertime' Remix by Hale-Bopp)

This one is in my playlist since i first discovered videogame remixes over a decade ago, Sadly Sakuraba ran creatively bankrupt with the Tales of franchise and i also never heard anything else about Hale-Bopp :(

Nevertheless this track is and will be in my all-time favourite Playlist probably for the rest of my life.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Only one entry from me, I've wanted to write about this arrangement for a while

The God Machine by Vig (Deus Ex)

This mix is one of the most impressive medleys I've ever heard. It effortlessly evokes the mood of the original pieces from Deus Ex but with a really impressive mix of live guitars and synth samples. The production values are amazing. What really makes this mix so impressive is how effortlessly Vig moves fluidly between genres without missing a beat or creating a jarring transition. It goes from electronica to breakbeats to Rush-like prog and everything in between and it's just mindblowing. And all the while, it evokes the dark and dreary moods from Deus Ex. This is one to close your eyes to and really take in.

I do think this is a cool initiative.

I love this thread! I've lost many an hour falling down the deep hole that is video game music covers. For now, I'll just post my favorite:

Haunted Shores - Prelude Bombfare

A heavy metal rendition of the opening musical suite to Final Fantasy VII. I adore it.

FAKE EDIT:

On that note!

nosebloods - FF7 Main Theme (Acoustic)

The arrangement on this piece is just incredible, and there's a part I love where the dude just sounds like he's murdering his guitar strings. I don't know how many times I've listened to this one.

REAL EDIT:

Here's a couple more excellent FF7 ones from the people behind Prelude Bombfare.

J-E-N-O-V-A

Ahead On Our Way

You did it, OP. Now all I want to do is spend all night revisiting my old favorites and posting them here.

Vanilla Mood - Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V)

Vanilla Mood - Scars of Time (Chrono Cross)

Vanilla Mood - Wind Scene (Chrono Trigger)

An all-female Japanese trio on classical instruments. They used to have a ton of video game stuff on YouTube, but most of it disappeared and I have no idea if it's available anywhere else. Regardless, those three survive and they're all fantastic.

FreddeGredde - Video Game Rock Medley

I really like the composition and selection of this one. It's a fun walk through video game history, and it all flows very nicely together.

--CalebElijah--

Frog's Theme (Chrono Trigger)

Fight Theme (Punch-Out!!)

Overworld Theme (Super Mario Brothers 2)

This guy was really active years and years ago, and not so much anymore, so most of his stuff is wanting for audio quality, and not terribly complex. But he was the first YouTube musician I subscribed to for this stuff, so he holds a special place in my heart.

--Songe--

Cid's Theme (Final Fantasy VII)

Wily Stage 1 (Mega Man 2)

Let the Battles Begin! (Final Fantasy VII)

Overworld (Super Mario Land)

This guy's the shit. His earlier stuff is pretty much just straightforward covers, but a while ago he started experimenting with unique interpretations and it's resulted in some really cool stuff. He does a lot of Final Fantasy songs, especially VII, which I am mentally hardwired to show favor to.

Amazing thread man! Every chance of hearing new gaming remixes is greatly appreciated.

There's a lot to listen to, but i might as well add a couple of songs:

Megaman X - Chill Penguin Theme
A very powerful remix which is perhaps one of my favorites, i discovered this little diamond when i was started hearing vgm more frequently. Im not very good defining genres and stuff but i would say its a prog rock version of the theme.

Megaman X2 - Bubble Crab Theme

This one is crazy good too. Perhaps it sounds like it deviates from the original melody quite a bit, but in my opinion it takes it to a whole new level.

Both are from an arranged Album called Mega Man X: Maverick Rising which overall is pretty amazing

You would save a bunch of time (and sanity) if you let people post links.

I mean links without name or description. Will edit.

I did not expect to see my 12 year old Last Ninja remix in there.

As I did not expect one of the creators in here. I love your remix! The thread would not be complete without it.

Honestly came in not expecting much but now I subbed and will go on a D/L spree. Thanks OP.

Please do!

You did it, OP. Now all I want to do is spend all night revisiting my old favorites and posting them here.

*lots of links*

Good stuff in there.

Probably one of the best quality gaming cover songs I've ever heard. Has a Genesis vibe.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Mining Melancholy

Cool song and cool video as well.

CSGuitar89 kicks so much ass with this kind of stuff

Twilight Princess - Kakariko Village

Wind Waker - Credits

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (Medley)

I love how he always layers the songs with tons of different guitar styles. The quality of the recordings is great as well.

Nice take on things indeed!

Thanks for the links! Will check the rest later.

Manu

Great OP. Thank you!

Semi-related: we really need a video game music streaming service. Like Spotify, but only for games.

Evilisk

Here's some stuff off the top of my head (no Touhou specific stuff because there's a LOT, and it'd probably be more suited for the Touhou Community thread)

Bramble Blast Medley (SSB and DKC2 versions) acapella
A great acapella cover of BOTH versions of Bramble Blast/Stickerbush Symphony that's also not Smooth McGroove. I actually prefer it over Smooth McGroove's version. I didn't list an artist because that's the only gaming music related thing on the user's channel.

Touhou X Kirby Medley Part 1 and Part 2
A big, 2 part medley that mixes music from both series. There are too many different tracks to keep full track of, but as a fan of both series' music/tracks, I think it's great.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - Hot Head Bop cover by Burning Idol
A great cover of Hot Head Bop imo (they seem to have more on their channel from what I've noticed)

Crash Twinsanity - Rockslide Rumble piano cover by Syvielmna Zjsch
A great piano cover of Rockslide Rumble (they seem to have more on their channel though the videos are kinda low quality)

llehuty

So I ran into this channel today:

michelleheafy

She does VGM covers. Went through her videos and she has been getting better over time. She made some medleys and is very good at linking from one song to the other.

A bunch of nintendo music but also WOW and lot's of other stuff.

Of course, examples:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Title Theme Medley (Vocal, Piano cover)

DKC Tropical Freeze - Stickerbrush Symphony Piano, Drum, Vocal Cover

Super Mario 64 - File Select Medley (Vocal, Piano, Drum Cover)

Mariachi entertainment system did Metroid:

Metroid - Mariachi Cover

Also another 130Grit Sound Studio upload:

Donkey Kong 64 - Angry Aztec (Flamenco/Rock Cover)

Top Bottom