• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming podcast that deserve more love.

Garthoff

Neo Member
Check out Games Gone Awry on iTunes or GameAwry.com

Serious game discussions mixed with improv comedy and weird rants.

meanspartan

I hope I am not breaking any self promotion rules, but the small podcast my friend and I do could totally use more listeners :)

It's called Multiple Lives and it's just something we do for fun. Get around 40-50 downloads on a typical episode.

Here is a link to our massive E3 episode. Our normal episodes are much shorter of course, usually about 45 minutes to an hour long.

http://multiplelives.podomatic.com/entry/2015-06-16T23_54_22-07_00

We share the feed with another friend's new Star Wars podcast which has two episodes out so far, so you get that as an added bonus!

Video Game Hot Dog is my favorite gaming podcast that no one else listens to. It's hosted by the guys behind Kingdom of Loathing along with Jim Crawford, the guy who made Frog Fractions, and they mostly talk about indie games and a bit about AAA games with tons of tangents off into fucking insanity and whatever they want. They're hilarious, and the podcast is one I look forward to every week.

They're also good bros with the Idle Thumbs guys. They share office space with Campo Santo, and if you listen to Idle Thumbs, a lot of the stories they share are about hanging out with the VG Hot Dog guys, like Jake's recent story about doing a room escape. They've even been guests on Idle Thumbs a few times.

And they have a very infrequent podcast that gets posted to their feed, hosted by all women in the industry, called Video Games Taco. It's the same basic level of discussion and humor, and the only bummer is they post like once every couple months.

http://videogameshotdog.com/

I'm always a little surprised at how few people here mention VGHD, although maybe I shouldn't be since:

- It's generally mobile/PC ...er Mac focused
- There's not always a ton of game talk
- Tons of puzzle talk
- Some of the guys have rather bizarre/obtuse opinions (really just Zack, who's great nonetheless)
- They have (had?) a larger presence on SomethingAwful
- One Skyper (Riff)
- Puns puns puns (secretly my favorite aspect)

That said, I find them hilarious and smart, and having Jim for the last year or so has definitely balanced things out nicely. Highly recommended if the above sounds interesting.

I'll also echo recommendation for Watch Out For Fireballs (analyzing a single game every episode), and the Souls games cast done by the same two guys (Kole Ross and Gary Butterfield) + guests, Bonefireside Chat.

Keep your legs on the sofa, and keep punching the dishwasher.

KidDork

Another vote for Chic Pixel. Anne Lee is an enjoyable host. There is a big focus on Japanese games and culture and just generally comfortable nerd talk.

How To Murder Time is another one I enjoy. It feels aimed at an older audience, which is refreshing. The two hosts are shining examples of dry British humour, which I can't get enough of.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
CTRL+F Podquisition... hmm.

Yeah, if you love Jim Sterling, listen to this. He is easily the most entertaining voice in the gaming reviews... thing/world/industry.

Someone on Reddit recently corrected me in saying he "isn't a journalist" so I don't know. Maybe he can chime in here and tell me what he would like to be called.

YuberMcGruber

Neo Member
Got to be Super Best Friendcast. After watching their Youtube channel for quite a while then they announced they were starting a podcast it was awesome. Been listening them every week since it started. Would definitely recommend!

TheDude79

Neo Member
As usual, we appreciate any feedback from you fine folks, the emails we have gotten already have been very helpful. I've also checked out quite a few podcasts that have been suggested in this thread, and ya'll got some good tasted in podcasts!

Stream: http://www.shortpause.com/blog/shor...tiny-nintendo-warner-bros-all-come-under-fire

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/shortpause-c...tiny-nintendo-warner-bros-all-come-under-fire

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...sodeGuid=tag:soundcloud,2010:tracks/212531133

The Flash

Banned
I think the Patch is pretty good though it does kinda require you to be a fan of Rooster Teeth in advance.

Also, Funhaus' Dude Soup. Like Rooster Teeth, I imagine only fans of their early stuff would appreciate it the most.

Radio Free Nintendo and, don't know why I'm forgetting the name, but there's this really good retro podcast I always check out when its' thread gets bumped on GAF. I wanna say the GAFfer who does it is called War Eagle? Or something like that, but it's really fun.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Glad I found this thread. I needed more gaming podcasts, as I only listen to DLC at the moment. Which is good, but I think Jeff tries to agree too much to what everyone is saying/talking about. I don't like most of the big ones, especially Giant Bombcast.

Thanks to folks for recommending Cain and Rinse, really enjoyable discussion with some wonderful UK accents - especially the super-Scottish fellow.

If you like souls then bonfireside chat Is a must. No idea how popular it is but I never hear it mentioned and found it on my own.

I'll also echo recommendation for Watch Out For Fireballs (analyzing a single game every episode), and the Souls games cast done by the same two guys (Kole Ross and Gary Butterfield) + guests, Bonefireside Chat

I got you, babe

I'd like to recommend 28 Plays Later, a podcast hosted by an American and an Australian which often starts with the intention of focusing on a single game/idea and goes off on fantastic tangents - a highlight being the sequel to Star Wars Battlefront set in the world of Downton Abbey.

Outlaw Gamer Radio.

These are the former Epic Battle Axe guys who were on Gametrailers. Man I miss that show and podcast. Sometimes Daniel Keyzer still comes on. He's at Retro Magazine now.

Some pretty in depth discussion on gaming related topics. Really good show, and all community funded/supported. Hope more people check them out.

I second this.

Dimmle

VGMpire! Really great pulls from all sorts of video game soundtracks, usually themed after games I've never played but I always appreciate the music.

I love S.Link FM, pretty easily my favorite gaming podcast. I like Retronauts and Back In My Play, too because I like when podcasts focus on specific topics/games.

S.Link FM rules, and I'm glad they stopped focusing solely on Persona because that means more episodes

Anno

This thread turned me on to the Crate & Crowbar and I just want to re-recommend it to everyone, especially if you enjoy PC gaming. Quickly vaulted to the top of my weekly podcast rotation and I've already consumed the ~90 episodes that came before I started.

I'd offer up Penny Arcade's DLC podcast: http://www.penny-arcade.com/podcasts/show/dlc

You have to enjoy Gabe and Tycho's humor to get the most out of it, but it's one of the most pure podcasts in the way that it is very much two friends talking about video games, and the podcast is done while they are coming up with the weekly comic strip so they are bouncing jokes off each other, so it's one of the more funny podcasts about gaming.

Everyone needs to get on Cane and Rinse which I discovered earlier today.

http://caneandrinse.com

They generally go deep on one game or one franchise. Typically they are relatively recent releases. Think Back in my Play, but not Retro games.

For example, their most recent episode is Geometry Wars series after it appeared in PGR.

They have podcasts going back almost 5 years and seem bang on a weekly podcast every Sunday.

Their description on iTunes is:

The Cane and Rinse podcast is a weekly show made by a collective of passionate videogaming enthusiasts aimed at like-minded listeners. Our ambition is to provide in-depth discussion with help from knowledgeable, articulate guests from the gaming community, the world of games development and beyond.

If you enjoy Back in my Play and want something in a similar format for more modern games, give it a listen.

Everyone needs to get on Cane and Rinse which I discovered earlier today.

http://caneandrinse.com

They generally go deep on one game or one franchise. Typically they are relatively recent releases. Think Back in my Play, but not Retro games.

For example, their most recent episode is Geometry Wars series after it appeared in PGR.

They have podcasts going back almost 5 years and seem bang on a weekly podcast every Sunday.

Their description on iTunes is:

If you enjoy Back in my Play and want something in a similar format for more modern games, give it a listen.

I'll second this. I was alerted to this podcast recently and it's all I've been listening to on my commute for the past couple weeks. Great, in depth discussion of a single game (or sometimes a franchise) per podcast. It's so easy to go through the list of their previous episodes and just get the ones that interest me. I'm sort of dreading running out of episodes of this great podcast.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The VideoGamer.com podcast, they are genuinely funny people.

I'll have to sift through these because I just began a podcast kick about a month ago and either the search results are horrible, these people don't know how to make their podcast searchable, or there's just nothing good out there.

I'm not interested in podcasts tied to a media outlet. It's usually smarmy douches whose "opinions" are at least partially influenced by ad revenue. The ones that aren't are often populated with people who just don't have a talented bone in their body, or they used to work for some magazine or game company back in the day and they have to name drop every two minutes. A lot of these podcasts also have people on that aren't even aware of big happenings that really aren't hard to know about. They'll be completely oblivious to some big story I'm aware of simply because I like to read about games and have a Twitter account.

Video Game Outsiders: My favorite gaming podcast but only by default. The hosts have fun, distinct personalities but one is STRICTLY a PC gamer, one is a Nintendo fanboy, but just as bad is that the other two don't give credence to one single thing Nintendo does.

Team GFB Radio: Had no opinion a few minutes in and heard something like "Oh if people actually knew what really went into making a game." OFF

Jimquisition: I love the Jimquisition videos but not so much this. They shit around far too much for my personal taste. Yes Jim we know you're edgy because you used to live in a shitty apartment building and did lots of drugs.

Giant Bombcast: I was pretty neutral on it. Didn't hate it, didn't see why anyone thought it was special.

Retronauts: Cool show when it's more than 15 minutes long. I listened to a long one which was pretty good but there's not too many of those. Then I listened to a short one and I honestly checked to see if I hit the "Speed x2" option because they were talking so fast and were in such a hurry to get it over with it sounded like.

Veteran Gamers: Not bad I just never connected with any of the guys or their taste in games.

The Video Game Show: Spotty at best. Kinda bad actually. The girl on it is insufferable, the guy that talks the most I give props to because he has some really hard-hitting opinions that go against the grain, but then every other sentence he ends with " 'n at ". Seriously. Every other sentence. Basically ruins any radio show or podcast really. Plus I don't need a 45 minute intro to collecting retro games just because you think you're unique for doing so.

I don't see us stopping anytime soon. ;)

Thanks for the Cane and Rinse love, y'all. (Sean, one of the two American dudes and co-editor, here).

That's great to hear. I guess I'm really just dreading that I eventually won't have enough episodes to continue binge listening, and will be forced to wait for weekly episodes :)

JD_Lars

I only really listen to Super Best Friend Cast:

http://superbestfriendsplay.com/series/friendcast/

My go-to podcast. I usually listen to this then Giantbomb in a given week.

Jo3hwsV.gif

Zona

Another vote for Chic Pixel. Anne Lee is an enjoyable host. There is a big focus on Japanese games and culture and just generally comfortable nerd talk.

How To Murder Time is another one I enjoy. It feels aimed at an older audience, which is refreshing. The two hosts are shining examples of dry British humour, which I can't get enough of.

I'll throw my vote in with this. They don't release episodes often but their top of my pile when they do.

I'll also echo the love for Gamers with Jobs and Crate and Crowbar.

yyr

It's a shame nobody has mentioned Orange Lounge Radio, the show where "every gamer has a voice."

OLR is (as far as I know) the longest-running video game podcast on the Internet, having recently celebrated their 13-year anniversary. Done by 3 friends, they are still entertaining every week, even after 600+ episodes. The show originally focused on music games but has long since expanded into all things video gaming. The show is also very big on audience participation. They broadcast live every Sunday night (9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific) and comments from the live chat room are often mentioned on-air. They also have mailbag and Skype call-in segments every week. They're hosted at vognetwork.com, which is also the home of the very entertaining Bobby Blackwolf Show (which records right before OLR).

I'll throw my vote in with this. They don't release episodes often but their top of my pile when they do.

I'll also echo the love for Gamers with Jobs and Crate and Crowbar.
GWJ is great (when they are not talking board games and offering dramatic readings of feature stories ...). I just started listening to Crate and Crowbar a few months back. Excellent stuff. It's the old PC Gamer UK gang right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Any recommendations for monthly (at least) podcasts that focus on indie and console titles?

Any other podcasts do a format similar to Watch out for Fireballs! where there's an in-depth analysis and discussion of a single game? I know some posters mentioned Cane and Rinse which I'll check out, but any other ones that I should listen to?

alext5

Neo Member
The only game podcast I listen to nowadays is DLC.

Jeff has a really great personality and while I prefered Weekend Confirmed formula, this is the next best thing for me.

Anno

Any other podcasts do a format similar to Watch out for Fireballs! where there's an in-depth analysis and discussion of a single game? I know some posters mentioned Cane and Rinse which I'll check out, but any other ones that I should listen to?

Three Moves Ahead typically does shows about just a single game. It's almost entirely focused on various types of (usually) PC strategy games, though, so if those aren't your jam it probably won't work.

AHA-Lambda

Videogamer UK podcast

Seriously don't think these guys get enough attention here, they're so funny and irreverent in their opinions.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
For what it's worth, I just launched my gaming podcast and it sure could use some love.

It's a bit different than most gaming podcasts, except for maybe A Life Well Wasted. I took This American Life* and 99 Percent Invisible as inspiration, and it's heavily edited stories, not news or impression round ups.

The big conceit is I want it to be enjoyable for people who might not even like games all that much, because a good story is a good story.

It's called Game is a 4 Letter Word and I take a real 4 letter word for fuel/inspiration for each episode. The first episode is PINK and we talk to retro game store clerks, Nintendo Lawyers (he's retired so he doesn't have to worry about being fired) Producers who adapted Brat Pack classics to video games, a prog rock crash course in chip tunes, a very particular video game museum curator, and a fashion PhD.

Also, I connect John Waters to Pokemon.

Not sure if there's an audience for this, but it's real fun to make, so check it out if it sounds interesting, it's at all the regular places, itunes, soundcloud, stitcher, rss on libsyn.

*David Sedaris is even in the first episode. Kinda

Top Bottom