• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gamingbolt: Xbox One sales at 26 million"

Why are people comparing the XB1 to Scorpio difference with PS4 to Pro? Isn't the former more substantial in power than the latter when talking upgrades?
Xbone-Scorpio will be a bigger difference than PS4-Pro without a doubt. People are comparing them because many incorrectly seem to think that the Scorpio is a new generation Xbox. It isn't. It is a mid-gen upgrade just like the Pro, albeit a more substantial one

Quasar

Why are people comparing the XB1 to Scorpio difference with PS4 to Pro? Isn't the former more substantial in power than the latter when talking upgrades?

Both are console refreshes rather than clean generational breaks. The power increase delta is a bit wider though on the MS side though.

Trago

I think the ram and GPU upgrade from X1 will be much more dramatic that PS4 to Pro, probably dramatic in comparison to Pro as well.

Not sure if that will sway the console buying audience, although miltiplatform games are the big driver this generation, so better multiplats could have a positive effect on console sales.

Kill3r7

According to these articles, at the same point in time PS3+ 360 had sold 48m.

PS4 is at about 54m. Alone.

Nuts.

Very impressive indeed but keep in mind that PS3 launched later than 360. Launch aligned they would be slightly ahead of PS4.

Soi-Fong

Well I assume VR games will.

Uh Playstation has PSVR and a pretty good foothold on the VR market. No developer is stupid enough to make an exclusive for Scorpio AND a VR headset as well. The VR market itself is already small.

You're not going to see any exclusive VR games on the Scorpio unless MS pays out the ass for one.

The Xbox One doubled the sales of the Wii U and the PS4 doubled the sales of the Xbox One. If the PS4 doesn't hit 100 million is that a sign of the downward spiral of game consoles?

I dunno though, there were lots of people in the other thread trying to convince everyone that it's fact that Microsoft's goal isn't to sell anywhere but the US/UK. SO, if that's fact then 26 million is pretty good...

Sounds like steaming horseshit to me. Why would they actively want to sell in as few markets as possible?!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's impressive with the first year or two being so botched. Good work and keep the goods coming MS.
It is most impressive. I estimate they'd be at around 80 million sold through to consumers if they hadn't botched the first couple of years.

[/b]
The fact that the PS4 has already sold what it has proves that this isn't the case

But is the PS4 picking up the lack of sales from Nintendo and Microsoft compared to the previous generation? I'd like to see a breakdown of every generation to see what actual overall growth there is in the console market.

Trago

It's impressive with the first year or two being so botched. Good work and keep the goods coming MS.

Yep, everyone thought that Microsoft would be market leader or at least ahead of Sony for most of the gen, but misstep after misstep led to this.

That and they just aren't as global as Sony as far as gaming goes.

gamz

Yep, everyone thought that Microsoft would be market leader or at least ahead of Sony for most of the gen, but misstep after misstep led to this.

That and they just aren't as global as Sony as far as gaming goes.

And even with all of that they aren't far behind Sony in the US.

With the One S restoring some of their good name and Scorpion coming out they are in good shape. Much better then I thought they were.

bionic77

But is the PS4 picking up the lack of sales from Nintendo and Microsoft compared to the previous generation? I'd like to see a breakdown of every generation to see what actual overall growth there is in the console market.
No. Every system is down a lot compared to last gen. PS4 is the exception.

Not sure what that means going forward though.

Trago

And even with all of that they aren't far behind Sony in the US.

With the One S restoring some of their good name and Scorpion coming out they are in good shape. Much better then I thought they were.

It's other markets I'm worried about. It's possible to take back the US. UK, and especially Japan? Different story. I mean, consoles are dead in Japan anyway, so I guess they should focus on other territories and focus on one-upping Sony.

Console gaming is shrinking?

It's other markets I'm worried about. It's possible to take back the US. UK, and especially Japan? Different story. I mean, consoles are dead in Japan anyway, so I guess they should focus on other territories and focus on one-upping Sony.

Ps4 vs Xbox One (pre Xbox One S) sales ratio in different regions
US: 1.14:1
UK: 1.2 - 1.25:1
FR: 3:1
DE: 4.5:1
JP: 50:1

I'd say it is as a whole. last gen the market was huge thanks to the Success of the Wii selling about 100 million on it's own. roughly 260 million total consoles sold made it the largest selling gen of all time. The thing was the Wii U has only sold around 15mil IIRC because alot of the Wii owners simply didn't buy a Wii U or any console for that matter and probably a large majority went mobile/tablet gaming.

As far as the XB/PS they sold a combined 160mil last gen give or take at about 80mil each. Realistically I expect them to sell the same this gen but with a split and PS4 at around 100mil and XB1 around 60mil. Were are going to be about halfway through the gen later this year sony is at 60mil and XB1 at 26mil roughly so they are around 86mil halfway so I'd say it's the same as last gen for the 2. the difference is about 20mil XB360 owners moved to the PS4. Plus we still stand to see a bump as PSVR launched recently and has been hard to obtain. MS sales picked up with the launch of the S and they have the scorpio and possibly VR/AR coming as well which should see a bump in sales. It's very possible that Sony/MS combined outsell what the PS360 did with the PS4/XB1 this gen. I don't think that audience has shrunk at all or went to PC and a large scale

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

It means ppl voted with their wallets and ppl may have been confused about some things with XBO and Wii U.

Which means give ppl what they want and have a clear message.

The Xbox One doubled the sales of the Wii U and the PS4 doubled the sales of the Xbox One. If the PS4 doesn't hit 100 million is that a sign of the downward spiral of game consoles?

amazing if you think about it as XBOX One is nonexistant in Japan and WiiU outsold it in some EU countries like France or Germany. Even if Nintendo pratically just pulled the plug of the WiiU since 2016

From a games perspective the Xboxone Lineup seems to be a subsection of what PS4 has to offer at this point so it really looks like Xbox One sold on the reputation of MS in their 360 days,..

I'd say it is as a whole. last gen the market was huge thanks to the Success of the Wii selling about 100 million on it's own. roughly 260 million total consoles sold made it the largest selling gen of all time. The thing was the Wii U has only sold around 15mil IIRC because alot of the Wii owners simply didn't buy a Wii U or any console for that matter and probably a large majority went mobile/tablet gaming.

As far as the XB/PS they sold a combined 160mil last gen give or take at about 80mil each. Realistically I expect them to sell the same this gen but with a split and PS4 at around 100mil and XB1 around 60mil. Were are going to be about halfway through the gen later this year sony is at 60mil and XB1 at 26mil roughly so they are around 86mil halfway so I'd say it's the same as last gen for the 2. the difference is about 20mil XB360 owners moved to the PS4. Plus we still stand to see a bump as PSVR launched recently and has been hard to obtain. MS sales picked up with the launch of the S and they have the scorpio and possibly VR/AR coming as well which should see a bump in sales. It's very possible that Sony/MS combined outsell what the PS360 did with the PS4/XB1 this gen. I don't think that audience has shrunk at all or went to PC and a large scale

Don't see X1 selling 60 million .
Plus this gen will be lower MS\Sony combine since i expect less people to own 2 systems .

Kill3r7

Don't see X1 selling 60 million .
Plus this gen will be lower MSSony combine since i expect less people to own 2 systems .

Agreed. The Scorpio/X1S would have to start selling around 12 million a year over the next 3 years. Not impossible but certainly a very tall task. If they can move 15 million this year it would certainly be a little lot easier.

The ceiling in the US is probably around 30-35 million lifetime. That would mean around 25-30 million for the rest of the world lifetime to reach 60+million. That is pretty hard to achieve.

Trago

I think Scorpio making a dent depends almost entirely on how Microsoft communicates it to consumers. I think if they make enough noise about it being a huge upgrade over the Xbox One, then people, especially those already on X1 will upgrade in the same way smartphone users upgrade to newer hardware. Again, this depends on how much noise Microsoft makes about it. People might perceive as a new generation anyway.

Purest 78

The S seems like a Wasted Opportunity now. Why focus on a Bluray player and not bump up the specs? Should have made the S Atleast the pro specs and called it a day.

Oh wow.

I presume these are correct numbers?
5phGkB5.png

So PS4 is still catching up to 3ds.

Kill3r7

The S seems like a Wasted Opportunity now. Why focus on a Bluray player and not bump up the specs? Should have made the S Atleast the pro specs and called it a day.

They want to maintain a two tier system. A premium product in Scorpio and a budget console is X1S. If you price one at $250 and the other at $400 you will be pretty well positioned. BF 2017 you can have the X1S selling for $200 plus $25-$30GC and free games or controller. Sony will do the same.

bitbydeath

Wii gen was never a good benchmark as it was mostly non-gamers buying it, of course they won't be back, they aren't turning to mobile gaming either or anything else for that matter, they just got caught in the hype of having a must own product.

mo60

MS can't be too happy with those numbers, but honestly they aren't too bad. I'd be willing to put good money on Nintendo never making it to 26 million.

The switch is likely to sell more than 26 million even though it may have a slow start.

Purest 78

They want to maintain a two tier system. A premium product in Scorpio and a budget console is X1S. If you price one at $250 and the other at $400 you will be pretty well positioned. BF 2017 you can have the X1S selling for $200 plus $25-$30GC and free games or controller. Sony will do the same.

I just feel Scorpio will be in a tough spot when released. I see Sony getting the Pro down to 300 during the holiday. Price beats anything during the holiday simple and plain.

Imo MS would be in better shape competing this year. I see ps4 dominating this year and the holidays do to flexibility with price.

No way MS can drop Scorpio price Next holiday without a huge loss. We just have to see what happens I guess.

Kill3r7

I just feel Scorpio will be in a tough spot when released. I see Sony getting the Pro down to 300 during the holiday. Price beats anything during the holiday simple and plain.

Imo MS would be in better shape competing this year. I see ps4 dominating this year and the holidays do to flexibility with price.

No way MS can drop Scorpio price Next holiday without a huge loss. We just have to see what happens I guess.

I think you are right in saying that The Pro will be on sale for abound $300. I bought mine for $330 during Cyber Monday.

Ps4 had its first official $50 pricecut in the US 2 years after release
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/c...aystation-4-price-reduced-to-34999-in-the-us/
you expect the Ps4 Pro to be down $100 just in 1 year?

Yes for the holiday I do as a poster above said he got it for $330 this cyber Monday.

well i got the ps4 pro for 280€ as bargin hunter. but that is not, what the general consumer will pay. they payed 399€.

he got the console for $330 thanks to a store discounts from target and / or combining different discounts (or maybe the target price match from amazon)
the MSRP or regular discounted price won't be that low across the board

Trago

I think price wont matter much if Microsoft pushes Scorpio in the marketing. That and they'll push the whole "Most powerful console ever!" slogan like everywhere in the marketing, I guarantee it.

Will that kind of marketing hype work out? Remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to dismiss the Scorpio outright like others here.

N.Domixis

Banned
We have to remember that a large part of the 360 revival with the american audience was kinect, now that thats dead who knows where its base lies. They probably lost tens of millions of people.

To the person who said that most power matters, price is ALWAYS key during the holidays. People look for the cheapo products. What do think is going to happen when ps4 and X1 are 250 or less and Pro is 300 while scorpio is 400-500? Lmao. It will do good during its launch, but outside that.

Kaji AF16

It could have been worse for Microsoft, given the legendary mistakes made during the Mattrick era and the Xbox One´s launch. Profitable division or not, the original objective of Xbox has arguably been lost (controlling the living room, which has been relativized by the advent of smartphones, mobile, etc.).

Spencer led a damaged brand against an almost universally praised -sometimes undeservedly, IMHO- Sony and in general I believe he has been comparatively successful. To me, Xbox has been a much more attractive gaming platform than PlayStation between 2014 and 2016.

That said, this year seems to be the end of Microsoft´s relative momentum: it seems unlikely for them to match Sony´s offering from now on, and Scorpio will probably struggle to find a significant market share.

mo60

no.
Xbox One is at over 15.7m units as of December 2016 in the US
Ps4 is at less than 17.5m units as of December 2016 in the US

and the US : WW ratio for Xbox One is in the ballpark of 60% (my personal estimate is slightly below 60%, but definitely above 55%. some people believe it's significant above 60, but i do not agree on that)
x360 US : WW ratio was ~50%

I think the xbox 360 sold a bit more than 50% WW before it was discontinued if I'm correct. If I recall the xbox 360 sold around 42 million in the US. US:WW ratio was probably 47%-49%:51%-53%

Lime

The console was and still is so US-centric that it's no wonder not many outside the navel of the world is interested in it.

I'm still surprised that the PS4 is over double the X1 sales. That's pretty huge.

Purest 78

I think price wont matter much if Microsoft pushes Scorpio in the marketing. That and they'll push the whole "Most powerful console ever!" slogan like everywhere in the marketing, I guarantee it.

Will that kind of marketing hype work out? Remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to dismiss the Scorpio outright like others here.

There's a hardcore enthusiast crowd that visit gaf. There's also a much larger market that price Trumps slogans in November. A $300 to $325 pro will dominate especially if Scorpio is over $400.

Top Bottom