• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gamingbolt: Xbox One sales at 26 million"

2407970-2290299078-13543.jpg

Lol Kaz was a savage back then

Trago

There's a hardcore enthusiast crowd that visit gaf. There's also a much larger market that price Trumps slogans in November. A $300 to $325 pro will dominate especially if Scorpio is over $400.

I don't really disagree, but again, this depends on how hard Microsoft pushes Scorpio. If they treat it like the next big thing/upgrade, I think that would drive many to give it a shot.

Not to mention that there are other factors to consider. By the end of this year, 4K TV's will come down in price. I imagine Microsoft playing up the UHD aspect of the console in addition to "It's a true 4K gaming machine!" tagline might work in its favor.

Fisty

The switch is likely to sell more than 26 million even though it may have a slow start.

Given the WiiU being a complete flop and the 3DS not moving units until they dropped the price by like 40%... not to mention I think the market already said no to a $300 portable.

But who knows, crazier things have happened

Because...more native 4K games? Resolution FTW?

Thats not going to help anything. 4k inst the standard. what people dont get is that the reason people talked about native 1080p for ps4 and xbox one is because it was the standard that xbox one couldn't keep up with, and it was $100 more than the ps4.

Native 4k isn't anything thats going to boost console sales. thats only for the hardcore. The PS4 Pro and the xbone scorpio is for the niche market, its for the hardcore. The casuals out here are fine with 1080p. Thats why again the ps4 slim will be the high seller again this November because of the $199 price tag. Scorpio isn't going to help xbox with anything but finally get them to run games at 1080p, and 4k. thats it. It wont boost the sales of the system to reach ps4 at all.

Melchiah

I don't really disagree, but again, this depends on how hard Microsoft pushes Scorpio. If they treat it like the next big thing/upgrade, I think that would drive many to give it a shot.

Which would be funny, after all the downplaying of the power differences between PS4 and XBO, when it's relatively the same between Pro and Scorpio.

Could of ps4 alone sell more than X1, slim, and Scorpio combined?

Ps4 slim At $199 with Read dead, Destiny, call of Duty, and Star Wars marketing, the original xbox one selling at $150, the xbox one slim selling at $199, and the scorpio selling at $499 wouldn't even have a chance.
Thats not even including the Ps4 Pro being $299 on black friday.

Trago

Which would be funny, after all the downplaying of the power differences between PS4 and XBO, when it's relatively the same between Pro and Scorpio.

Of course, Microsoft could take advantage of that in the marketing with third party marketing deals, that is if Sony hasn't gotten them all already lol.

I think price wont matter much if Microsoft pushes Scorpio in the marketing. That and they'll push the whole "Most powerful console ever!" slogan like everywhere in the marketing, I guarantee it.

Will that kind of marketing hype work out? Remains to be seen, but I'm not ready to dismiss the Scorpio outright like others here.

Power doesn't matter much, we are getting to diminishing returns, and price always wins over power, Pro won't be 399 this fall. Slim will be the biggest mover by far. It has never been remotely rue that "Price won't matter Much". Doesn't matter how much MS advertises, sony is not going to stop advertising, and they have huge third party deals this fall.

I think the xbox 360 sold a bit more than 50% WW before it was discontinued. If I recall the xbox 360 sold around 42 million in the US. US:WW ratio was probably 46%-48%:52%-54%

xb360 was at 84m sold in ww June 2014
xb360 was at 41.5m sold through in the us June 2014
npdjune2014consolelifbtsct.jpg

sirronoh

Thats not going to help anything. 4k inst the standard. what people dont get is that the reason people talked about native 1080p for ps4 and xbox one is because it was the standard that xbox one couldn't keep up with, and it was $100 more than the ps4.

Native 4k isn't anything thats going to boost console sales. thats only for the hardcore. The PS4 Pro and the xbone scorpio is for the niche market, its for the hardcore. The casuals out here are fine with 1080p. Thats why again the ps4 slim will be the high seller again this November because of the $199 price tag. Scorpio isn't going to help xbox with anything but finally get them to run games at 1080p, and 4k. thats it. It wont boost the sales of the system to reach ps4 at all.

^ This right here.

Holidays = Price is king every. single. time.

It doesn't matter how cool the tech is. The mass market is almost always going to buy the cheapest thing available. We have years and years of data backing this up.

Why do people keep acting as if this is not the case and Scorpio has any chance of selling a lot of units this fall? There's 0 possibility of that happening unless they price it the same as the Xbox One S or if they give it away. Since neither of those two things is happening, it's at best going to sell 35% of whatever the Xbox One S sells.

PS4 sales will drop off the cliff with Scorpios release and a new Halo game plus the best version of RDR2

I expect MS will overtake within 18 months

gtj1092

It's there any evidence Spencer actually turned X1 around sales wise? Seems like sales peaked in 2014. I know there are X1 growth spurts in NPD occasionally but even with X1s it was down in the US in 2016.

PS4 sales will drop off the cliff with Scorpios release and a new Halo game plus the best version of RDR2

I expect MS will overtake within 18 months

There won't be any (mainline) Halo anywhere close to Scorpio's release window, and even if there were, the franchise can't be trusted to move systems anymore.

No it's not, because most if not all the extra hardware will be used up on 4K. It's just the same deal as the PS4 Pro.

The only way it will be is if they ditch that plan, stick with 1080p and make a 'big' push with graphics and exclusive games. Dropping support for the Xbox One in the process.

But all signs currently point to that not happening.

Dude, if Project Scorpio's specs end up really being as crazy as it's looking like they will be, Scorpio can do 4K on Xbox One Titles WITH improved assets and effects. You're way underestimating what those specs are capable of. In the process of forgetting the gap between the Xbox One and Project Scorpio, you're also forgetting that Scorpio is still a console, and what that means is devs will both be able to, in certain instances, make just the right sacrifices at 4K to still end up having upgrades over the Xbox One version of the game. And there's no need to drop support for Xbox One even when they decide to use Scorpio's power for 1080p (which I personally prefer in a lot of cases), because Scorpio development will share many traits with the PC releases of games. It will be trivial for devs to enable or not enable particular effects, and change the quality of graphics between the various quality settings that are common in PC titles.

Even now, the PS4 or Xbox One versions of games generally occupy a space in the medium/high settings categories. Scorpio is not just going to be Xbox One games at 4K. To say such a thing is to seriously underestimate how big a jump there will be between average Xbox One and Project Scorpio. Scorpio is going to have AMD's Vega GPU. That is essentially confirmed at this point. And if it has any version of Zen, which I suspect it will, the gap between Xbox One and Project Scorpio is even larger.

Chuck Norris doesn't make predictions. Predictions make Chu....wait....what am I trying to say?

On the 7th day Chuck Norris allowed his creation, god, to rest.

Unknown?

It's there any evidence Spencer actually turned X1 around sales wise? Seems like sales peaked in 2014. I know there are X1 growth spurts in NPD occasionally but even with X1s it was down in the US in 2016.
No he hasn't because you're right 2016 was down but the Xbox team were able to remain competitive price wise which stopped PS4 from being the default console and being blown out in their largest market, the US. I suspect they'll be down again this year. PS4 is a toss up. It might be up because of all the software but it also might be down because it will be its fifth holiday.

anothertech

Dude, if Project Scorpio's specs end up really being as crazy as it's looking like they will be, Scorpio can do 4K on Xbox One Titles WITH improved assets and effects. You're way underestimating what those specs are capable of. In the process of forgetting the gap between the Xbox One and Project Scorpio, you're also forgetting that Scorpio is still a console, and what that means is devs will both be able to, in certain instances, make just the right sacrifices at 4K to still end up having upgrades over the Xbox One version of the game. And there's no need to drop support for Xbox One even when they decide to use Scorpio's power for 1080p (which I personally prefer in a lot of cases), because Scorpio development will share many traits with the PC releases of games. It will be trivial for devs to enable or not enable particular effects, and change the quality of graphics between the various quality settings that are common in PC titles.

Even now, the PS4 or Xbox One versions of games generally occupy a space in the medium/high settings categories. Scorpio is not just going to be Xbox One games at 4K. To say such a thing is to seriously underestimate how big a jump there will be between average Xbox One and Project Scorpio. Scorpio is going to have AMD's Vega GPU. That is essentially confirmed at this point. And if it has any version of Zen, which I suspect it will, the gap between Xbox One and Project Scorpio is even larger.
Even if you're right, bigger specs means bigger $$$, especially if Zen is involved in any way, however unlikely that is.

More $$$ means wider gap between PS4/Pro and Xbone/Scorpio.

Sony just played their hands perfectly round after round this gen.

notaskwid

I thought you had learned from the secret sauce debacle. I guess not.

scoobs

The problem being that games will still need to run on an Xbox One, so if you're hoping for massive improvements in the graphics department you might be disappointed. Certainly the image quality will be far superior.

I know. I forgot the /s

Mr_Moogle

I wonder if there's a dart board in the Xbox canteen with Mattrick and Whitten's head on it.

Was Mattrick the guy who said if people want an offline Xbox they can get a 360 instead? That had to be one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen from a guy who supposed to understand PR.

Wait, isn't the power difference between Scorpio and PS4 Pro 1.8 teraflops? And the difference between the PS4 and the XBO 0.6 teraflops? How is that relatively the same? The difference for the former is roughly three times larger than the difference for the latter.

In fairness, if you're looking at this in terms of ratios, why does it make more sense to frame it that way than to look at the raw power difference described above?

Purest 78

On the 7th day Chuck Norris allowed his creation, god, to rest.

If that's the Case it'll be a minimum of $500 which won't go well.

wapplew

Software sales is relatively close (expect Japanese titles), that's matter more. I don't think MS is worry.

Unknown?

Software sales is relatively close, that's matter more. I don't think MS is worry.
Uhhh where are you getting that from? I don't think Xbox is selling even within millions of PS4 software and major 3rd party games do better on PS4 as well.

Top Bottom