• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's Greatest Bullshots

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
NBA-Live-08-screen-by-EA-Sports-looking-particularly-crisp-495x278.jpg

ScOULaris

Also, my vote goes to Killzone (PS2). All the talk about it using NURBS instead of polygons and the massive hyperbole about the game's graphics from gaming press that got to see it behind closed doors ended up being a bunch of bullshit. The final product ended up looking somewhat decent, but nowhere near the polished, AAA-grade presentation that we'd been primed for up until release.

killzone_021304_007_640w.jpg
killzone-20040819034306343_640w.jpg

killzone_21294687175.jpg
24.jpg

killzone_080103_04_640w.jpg

killzone_790screen001.jpg
killzonenew_3.jpg

Why couldn't Kojima just keep those F-in colours, for gods sake.

santi_yo said:
[IG]http://www.gamikaze.pl/Resources/Images/GameGalleries/Xbox_Galerie_Gears_of_War_3_Xbox_360_Galeria_5_31107_1805_21072010.jpg[/IMG]

:p

We got a winner.

jett

D-Member
ScOULaris said:
Also, my vote goes to Killzone (PS2). All the talk about it using NURBS instead of polygons and the massive hyperbole about the game's graphics from gaming press that got to see it behind closed doors ended up being a bunch of bullshit. The final product ended up looking somewhat decent, but nowhere near the polished, AAA-grade presentation that we'd been primed for up until release.

Killzone on the PS2 looks just like those pictures you posted though, just with more jaggies I guess.

ScOULaris

jett said:
Killzone on the PS2 looks just like those pictures you posted though, just with more jaggies I guess.
The pictures showcase motion blur and AA that weren't present in the game, and they fail to communicate the god-awful framerate, terrible pop-in, and abysmal animation in the final product.

jett

D-Member
ScOULaris said:
The pictures showcase motion blur and AA that weren't present in the game, and they fail to communicate the god-awful framerate, terrible pop-in, and abysmal animation in the final product.

Uh there's motion blur in the game when you run, as for the other things you mentioned...you fail at this thread.

Killzone looked amazing for a PS2 game. Just like those screen shots. What really killed it was the whole game ran at about 20FPS, and rarely ever got to 30. Made the amazing visuals not worth it at all. Not really sure how developers are suppose to portray a shitty frame rate in screens.

fernoca

jett said:
A classic:

bg3.jpg

Default photoshop lens flare ftw
This!
First game that came to mind. I still remember the backlash and Microsoft saying about how it was "common" to use Photoshop too. :p

derFeef

Darklord said:
It seems we have forgotten.
Unreal 2, sheesh. It was retouched and all the shadows were added. It got busted and Epic made an official statement about it (Mark Rein said sorry - but added the final game will even look better)

Why For?

Banned
DarkUSS said:
Dreamcast vs PS2? :p

Think so.

I have pretty much every version of DOA, and haven't seen or noticed jaggies in any of them.

I have DOA2 on DC, DOA Ultimate and 3 on Xbox and 4 on 360. No jaggies in sight.

Erebus

Why For? said:
Think so.

I have pretty much every version of DOA, and haven't seen or noticed jaggies in any of them.

I have DOA2 on DC, DOA Ultimate and 3 on Xbox and 4 on 360. No jaggies in sight.
I remember DOA2 on DC having a much better IQ than the PS2 version.

Why For? said:
Think so.

Yup. Instead of optimizing DoA2 for the PS2, they just cut back on it until it ran well. A god damned shame, really. I didn't have a Dreamcast, so I had to play the lessened PS2 version. But that's ok, because I shortly graduated to big boy fighting games.

SamuraiX-

jett said:

Really, jett? I thought you and I already had this discussion.

Using the original MGS4 trailer from TGS 2005 as an example is pretty ridiculous considering Sony didn't even know the specs of their own gaming system back then.

Haunted

This thread was made for Codemasters.

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh damn, I forgot about that.

getaway_screen004.jpg

g_screen001.jpg

(again, poor quality. I know someone took a better screenshot of that london building in the final version, and it was hilarious how big the difference was)
daaaaaaaaamn

Haunted

Patrick Bateman said:
What, why?
Clearly modified contrast and sharpness settings.

But yeah, it doesn't really fit the thread as it doesn't make the game look much better than it actually does.

SamBishop

Banned
I'm not saying there aren't some pretty hilariously bad examples in this thread, but you guys do need to understand the difference between an in-engine screenshot mode that renders at super-high resolutions and throws on stuff like extra DOF or anti-aliasing or even just direct frame buffer grabs vs. something IGN or GameSpot captured over an analog signal.

Anything not being pulled directly from the console's frame buffer is going to look extra blurry, low-res and fucked up just as a result of capturing the output. It's the same reason many of these screen grabs don't looks as good as you might remember on your TV -- mainly because they don't.

Again, though, stuff like The Getaway or damn near anything 3DO ever put out are prime examples of complete and utter bullshit.

webrunner

Wasn't there a bullshot released for something that had errors, like, you could still see half of something that got photoshopped out?

I can't remember what game it was.

SamBishop said:
I'm not saying there aren't some pretty hilariously bad examples in this thread, but you guys do need to understand the difference between an in-engine screenshot mode that renders at super-high resolutions and throws on stuff like extra DOF or anti-aliasing or even just direct frame buffer grabs vs. something IGN or GameSpot captured over an analog signal.

Anything not being pulled directly from the console's frame buffer is going to look extra blurry, low-res and fucked up just as a result of capturing the output. It's the same reason many of these screen grabs don't looks as good as you might remember on your TV -- mainly because they don't.

Again, though, stuff like The Getaway or damn near anything 3DO ever put out are prime examples of complete and utter bullshit.
I know!

But it's insanely hard to find non-emulated screenshots of older 3D console games that aren't captured over an analog signal. GameSpot is especially bad with that.

jett

D-Member
SamuraiX- said:
Really, jett? I thought you and I already had this discussion.

Using the original MGS4 trailer from TGS 2005 as an example is pretty ridiculous considering Sony didn't even know the specs of their own gaming system back then.

The trailer was complete bullshit, I don't remember ever talking to you to be honest.

deal with it

owlbeak

Seriously....Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising has to be the worst offender. EVERY official "screenshot" was total bullshit. I called bullshit on them when they came out, as did most everyone. I mean look at this shit:

ibQy3W.jpg

ibQ9iA.jpg

Riiiight....

Top Bottom