• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's Greatest Idle Animations?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I was just thinking of Wind Waker and I recalled how great Link's idle animations were.

So, the quest begins. What idle animations have stood out to you for one reason or another?

Bubsy Knocking on the screen was the best part of the game.

Also Aladdin the Genesis game had some great animation as well.

Quite possibly the first to have idle animations:

majorhavok1_1149219597.gif
majorhavok2_1149220031.gif
majorhavok3_1149220044.gif

Major Havoc.

jgkspsx

Commander Keen (best platformer series ever) had the best. The Temple of the Moons in Keen 4: Goodbye Galaxy, especially.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the original sonic foot tap was genius. though hey, looks like it was presaged by this major havok thing.

i could watch spiral's idle animation from capcom's x-men fighter all day.

arter_2

jgkspsx said:
Commander Keen (best platformer series ever) had the best. The Temple of the Moons in Keen 4: Goodbye Galaxy, especially.

agrees whole heartily this man knows whats up

ant1532

Banned
for some reason Lan's "Jack in!" animation from MM:BN always stick out to me also.
1-3 were beyond awesome.

Kangu

Banned
Don't know if it qualifies but Yorda's idle animation was pretty amazing. I think Gek from enter the Enter the Gekko might have had some good animations.

Speevy

Banned
I don't see how any game can take this honor over Dragon Quest 8. I mean, the sheer number of characters and the quality of their animation. Wow.

Tarazet

HomerSimpson-Man said:
The greatly animated Earthworm Jim games, he had loads of them.

YES. You took the words right out of my mouth. I remember years ago (as in back when 16-bit was king), EGM did a top-10 best idle animations bit. I actually bought at least one game because of that list, and EWJ may have been one of them. :lol

Gigglepoo

Speevy said:
I don't see how any game can take this honor over Dragon Quest 8. I mean, the sheer number of characters and the quality of their animation. Wow.

When do idle animations occur in an RPG?

This is a real question, by the way, I'm not mocking or anything. Seriously.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gigglepoo said:

overworld i believe.

bjork

Animal Crossing. You gotta love everyone's impression of Will Ferrell doing an impression of Haray Caray.

Red Scarlet

Gigglepoo said:

When you stand still in a town/dungeon/on the overworld.

The Hero crosses his arms and looks around, I think Kukule/Angelo does it too. Yangus picks his nose and flicks a booger from his finger, and Jessica stretches her arms.

I like Maria's "I gotta pee!" one.

maria2.gif

Speevy

Banned
When I said DQ8, I meant the enemy and character animation during battle when everyone's not fighting or anything.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Like several others I cam into this thread thinking the original Sonic. I was blown away by his foot tapping animation while idle and his attempting to balance animation while too close to a edge.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MutFox said:
F-Zero GX... (The newscast.)
Actually no, that's the worst one.
Do they actually do something if you don't answer right away or do you just mean the shitty bouncing they do while standing there?

MutFox

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
:lol You shouldn't have answered so soon. I almost fired up the GC just to let them stand there for 10 minutes while waiting in anticipation.
:lol :lol :lol

Man, I suck. :(
Actually, I've never tried just watching them...
Hmmmmmmm...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Definetely Conker... especially since you could rotate the camera while he's messing around, and how he'd properly put things away/throw them into stuff when you move him again... definetely the best out there...

The "Hello, hello, is he dead?!!" line when he knocks on your screen cracked me up everytime too..

And yeah, I always thought the Sonic ones were cool back then, because it wasn't expected...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I don't remember Metroid Prime's idle animations... now I want to see 'em.

I wonder what the first game with idle animations was? I don't think it was Major Havoc... for some reason, I think it was an Atari 800/XL/XE game. I could be wrong, of course.

metroid prime 1/2
Half Life 2
Counter-strike Source (not so much idle animation as just the animation of the hands and guns)

Top Bottom