• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's Greatest Idle Animations?

the-iek

PuppetSlave said:
Shadow Warrior!

07972t.jpg

Can't remember exaktly what he said with the chopsticks though...
wah duke wants me :O

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
PuppetSlave said:
Shadow Warrior!

07972t.jpg

Can't remember exaktly what he said with the chopsticks though...
You won't bet me... forever!

Or something like that. Truly the best idle animation ever.

Conker definitely is up there.

I loved the Snark weapon animation in the original Half-Life. Someone already posted an animation of it.

Also, Shadow Warrior deserves a shoutout.

winalot

I know it's in the original Splinter Cell, don't know about the others. Sam Fisher would turn to the player and motion pressing buttons on a controller. That got a laugh.

Koren

Not the best, but I was surprised to see Bubsy knock at the glass of my TV set... :lol

Conker, probably.

[Nintex]

Conker wins hands down.
Honorable mention : Ocarina of time.
In each dungeon link has a different idle animation.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Catwoman. Not that I played the game, they showed it on Xplay. They show her at weird angles as she cleans herself like a cat. "The best part of the game happens when you're not even touching the controller." (or something like that.)

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrRLZlgLrWM&search=catwoman idle

So she's not giving herself a bath, she's just kinda dancing sorta. Still very disturbing and weird.

Gonna have to say Okami. It is just hilarious to see amaterasu fall asleep if you leave her alone.

Of course okami's animation in general is just amazing.

[Nintex] said:

Wait really? I don't remember that at all....

Or was it something lame like, tapping the left foot instead of his right foot? :lol

fmcato

In SOTC, Agro (the horse) would walk around and drink from nearby pools. That surprised me. I've also heard that if you idle a lot he lies over and sleeps (never tried that, though).

From the same team, in ICO, Yorda would do things like run after doves and go looking around, specially if there were cliffs nearby.

Also I liked how in Castlevania SOTN the fairy familiar would lie on your shoulder if you were idle for a long time, and fall off (with an "eeek!") when you moved again. :)

Farmboy

Powdered Toastman said:
Old Konami games on MSX had some nice ones. Vic XIII from King's Valley 2 would do push-ups and Popolon in Maze of Galious sits down on a toilet.

Nitpick: in both cases, this would happen when you pause the game, not simply by waiting.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
- the main characters in Killer 7
- Daxter on PSP, what a hyperactive ottsel
- Mario (on Sunshine and 64)
- Metroid Prime

Geez, I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of characters now. But these are the first ones to come to mind.

NME

Kabuki Waq said:
Bubsy Knocking on the screen was the best part of the game.

Back when that game was first released, I went into a Video Game Exchange (anyone else have those stores?) and one of the employees was ranting and raving about how Bubsy did that if you set the controller down for a few seconds.

I remember thinking that was pretty cool, too.

C4Lukins

Bubsy was the first game I ever noticed a good variety in the idle animations and they were pretty fun, maybe moreso then the actual game. I seem to remember Gex having some good ones, but maybe he just spouted off his one liners when idle.

ghibli99

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES)

24415262.JPG

Buster had idle animations for standing, ducking (playing with his ears), tippy-toeing off a ledge, and leaning up against a wall (eating a carrot). So awesome, back in the day when stuff like this mattered.

unifin

[Nintex] said:
Conker wins hands down.

He did? I don't remember that...

It's been said a billion times, but Conker probably takes the cake on this one.

Banjo-Kazooie's were pretty funny too, if I remember correctly, with Kazooie popping out of the backpack and messing with Banjo.

Varuna

Anyone play the first Kirby game on the original Gameboy? This one:

When the game is paused for an extended period of time, Kirby will randomly do a short dance on the spot. The first few times, I thought it was my imagination; did he just move?

He does.

DQ8 was already sort of mentioned, but specifically I loved King Trode's animation when you got to run around with him in Tryan Gully. You let him sit still and he starts digging in his ear with something. :lol

Top Bottom