• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran

Neo Member
Oh god oh god oh god! Please be a Rogue Squadron movie!!

Do we know anything else about it except the title??

TDLink

Oh god oh god oh god! Please be a Rogue Squadron movie!!

Do we know anything else about it except the title??

Nope, but the title kinda implies it's a Rogue Squadron film. If it isn't and they named it that...they kinda screwed up the marketing.

Cheebo

Banned
Pablo Hidalgo (of the Lucasfilm Story Group) pretty much confirmed this is a Rogue Squadron movie.

In his facebook post linking to the announcement he included this little extra line:
Rogue One, standing by.

Yep, we are getting a Rogue Squadron movie.

Vjyrn8T.gif

kH5bnte.gif

There should be a companion Tie Fighter squadron animated series

B.K.

I wonder if the rumors about the movie being a heist film about the theft of the first Death Star's plans were false or if that will be the 2018 spinoff.

Pablo Hidalgo (of the Lucasfilm Story Group) pretty much confirmed this is a Rogue Squadron movie.

In his facebook post linking to the announcement he included this little extra line:

Yep, we are getting a Rogue Squadron movie.

I loved the wild theories earlier today like "Rogue One means the first Rebel as in its about a young Mon Motha starting the rebellion" and "Rogue means bounty hunter its about the #1 bounty hunter in the galaxy"

c'mon sons its very obviously Rogue Squadron. The novels and video games were extremely popular/sold well and clearly Lucasfilm and Disney are aware of that.

B.K. said:
I wonder if the rumors about the movie being a heist film about the theft of the first Death Star's plans were false or if that will be the 2018 spinoff.

I'm almost positive that was one of those Latino Review style made up rumors

Cheebo

Banned
This being a Rogue Squadron movie doesn't negate the fact it could still be about the Death Star plans. A pre-ANH Rogue Squadron movie about stealing the DS plans perhaps.

I can't wait to hear who's scoring Rogue One. No way Williams does every SW film, so hopefully Edwards goes with his Godzilla composer, Alexandre Desplat.

Dryk

Nope, but the title kinda implies it's a Rogue Squadron film. If it isn't and they named it that...they kinda screwed up the marketing.
It's hard to believe that they'd botch the announcement that badly, but yeah hopefully they haven't done that. Everyone wins if it's a Rogue Squadron movie

New Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel, and DC movies every year until 2020.

I really am going to wonder what people in general are going to think of all these big franchises after a few years of being barraged by them. Surely it's going to lead to burnout on something.

I don't know. I watch TV series' that run for 5-8 years, with anywhere from 13 to 23 hours of content per year, and I don't usually get burnt out. Then again, there's the people who said they were burnt out by the time Uncharted 3 came out, even though it was only the third and they were 2 years apart. I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm certainly not burnt out on Marvel movies yet. We'll see by the time Infinity War comes out.

TDLink

I don't know. I watch TV series' that run for 5-8 years, with anywhere from 13 to 23 hours of content per year, and I don't usually get burnt out. Then again, there's the people who said they were burnt out by the time Uncharted 3 came out, even though it was only the third and they were 2 years apart. I don't know what to think anymore.

I'm certainly not burnt out on Marvel movies yet. We'll see by the time Infinity War comes out.

I don't feel burnt out on Marvel yet either, mostly because so far they have found a way to keep each film somewhat distinct. That said, they are now going to 3 movies a year and the distinctiveness is starting to blur with stuff like Captain America 3 basically just being another Avengers movie. This is going to lead to basically an Avengers movie every year too now (for at least the next 4 years) plus two other MCU films. And we will have the DC Superhero movies competing with them as well as the continued FOX X-Men/F4 stuff. That's a lot more superhero stuff in the next few years. Star Wars and Avatar are also getting new movies every year for the next few years (well, for Avatar starting in 2017). With Marvel getting more into space stuff too with GotG and the Infinity War movies...it's just easy to see how all of these big franchises could start to tire people out.

"What are the big blockbusters this year?"

"Star Wars, Avatar, Avengers, 2 other Marvel Movies, 2 DC Movies, a X-Men movie...again...just like the last 3 years"

With studios trying to turn everything into "cinematic universes" even beyond these franchise (like Ghostbusters, Terminator, Jurassic Park, etc) we can expect even more annualization of summer blockbuster style movies.

I just think there's a real risk that the mainstream will sicken of it after a few years of this all going full throttle.

I don't feel burnt out on Marvel yet either, mostly because so far they have found a way to keep each film somewhat distinct. That said, they are now going to 3 movies a year and the distinctiveness is starting to blur with stuff like Captain America 3 basically just being another Avengers movie. This is going to lead to basically an Avengers movie every year too now (for at least the next 4 years) plus two other MCU films. And we will have the DC Superhero movies competing with them as well as the continued FOX X-Men/F4 stuff. That's a lot more superhero stuff in the next few years. Star Wars and Avatar are also getting new movies every year for the next few years (well, for Avatar starting in 2017). With Marvel getting more into space stuff too with GotG and the Infinity War movies...it's just easy to see how all of these big franchises could start to tire people out.

"Star Wars, Avatar, Avengers, 2 other Marvel Movies, 2 DC Movies, a X-Men movie...again...just like the last 3 years"

With studios trying to turn everything into "cinematic universes" even beyond these franchise (like Ghostbusters, Terminator, Jurassic Park, etc) we can expect even more annualization of summer blockbuster style movies.

I just think there's a real risk that the mainstream will sicken of it after a few years of this all going full throttle.

I'm not entirely sure that Cap 3 will be another Avengers movie - I'm sure the focus will be on Cap and IM, with others just taking sides. Though I haven't read any Civil War, so I don't know.

I guess it is possible that blockbusters become only a few games, but I don't think that will happen. I'm sure there will be other "big" movies. If the public tires of them and they stop making money, then Hollywood will shift gears. Again, the number of movies here is very small compared to the vast amount of movies that get made. Everything will be ok!

These two wrote a better version of my answer to superhero film burnout.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...an-and-wolverine-arent-taking-over-hollywood/

So presuming that each calendar year offers 120-150 wide releases and eventual expansions, the 2016-2018 period will offer around 24-30 superhero films (I’m presuming that a few might be added to the slate) out of 360-450 multiplex releases, or 5.5%-6.5% of the total output. But even if you argue that there are too many would-be franchise pictures overall (or that franchises like Power Rangers or Star Wars are once-removed from comic book superhero films), the fact remains that 2014 had more religious-themed multiplex releases (Son of God, Noah, God’s Not Dead, Heaven is For Real, Left Behind, Exodus, etc.) than true-blue superhero comic book adaptations.
We obviously don’t see pundits and filmmakers complaining about the deluge of religious-based cinema. We don’t complain (as much) about the 8-12 animated features to drop into multiplexes every year. We don’t complain about the number of horror films or the number of bawdy comedies that are released each year. The comic book superhero film that gets picked on more than any other sub-genre out there. It is the superhero film that is held up as the root of all cinematic evil.

Never mind that playing at a theater near you between October of last year and January of this year are/were films like Gone Girl, Nightcrawler, Fury, St. Vincent, The Theory of Everything, The Imitation Game, Selma, Unbroken, and Big Eyes. The conventional wisdom among those bemoaning the industry, which is indeed going through some issues in terms of franchise-mentality versus stand-alone narrative film-making, boils down to “too many superhero films.” It’s an easy target for a more complicated problem.

The other reason it feels like Hollywood makes nothing but superhero films is… well, me. We writers tend to want to write things that people will read for artistic and monetary reasons, and the people who read movie news sites tend to read about superhero movie-related news and analysis, such as last night’s Ant Man trailer premiere . I don’t believe Hollywood is being swallowed whole by comic book movies, but it does often feel like the entertainment media is.

The superhero film has often been at or near the top of the short-term box office record books. It’s profitable too, since it’s clearly what those who read movie news sites want to read, which gives me the freedom to dip my toes into stuff that I know full-well few outside my long term readers will care about. And yes, there is much business to be discussed in terms of how these films get made and (especially) marketed. But the end result is, to paraphrase 30 Rock, that 6% of film content seems to take up 90% of our entertainment news discussion.

Abounder

Banned

North Americans will probably get sick of most of those universes like what we see with the declining Transformers numbers, but these blockbusters are global films and make bank worldwide. And the last Transformers still made $~250million domestically so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Another interesting box office look was how ASM2 still disappointed while making $700million worldwide, which led to Sony offering Spidey for the MCU. These cinematic universes are risky even with the former box office king.

American Sniper being the no.1 movie in the USA and Canada, and the highest grossing war movie ever worldwide, also shows that the market can value a film with a middling budget.

Disney seems to know what they're doing with cinematic universes but Universal, Sony, etc. need some tips

Imperial

I'm not sure if this was posted, but here are some additional details about Rogue One (Concept Art) from /Film:

The concept art was a gritty “dark/gray image”: “very dark and done in greens, so it evoked the idea that it was being done under the cloak of night.”
The art showed 4-5 armored, soldier-like persons on the ground, “with two to three ships in the background.”
Disney blogger/investor StichKingdom says that the imagery “evoked concept art of a video game” and it “screamed Halo to me.”
Unfortunately neither of the sources we talked to knew enough about the Star Wars expanded universe to describe exactly who the characters may have been or what ships were pictured in the background.
There were tough-looking vehicles too.
The ships were fairly dark, and in the background.
They weren't obviously X-Wing Fighters, which our sources would have recognized.
They “seemed a bit bigger than X-Wings”.
“More like a transport ship of sorts” but probably not as big as the Tantive IV (the transport ship we see Darth Vader board at the beginning of A New Hope).
The characters were all “generic” looking “wearing the same dark outfit.” “I didn’t see anything that would distinguish them as individuals.”
When I asked LA Times reporter Daniel Miller if they looked more like Rebel Alliance fighters in orange jumpsuits or a band of bounty hunters, he replied: “Neither. They were masked but not whimsical looking like those bounty hunters (I realize whimsy & mercenaries don’t go together).”

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art/

Rootbeer

Banned
Do we know the plot details about Rogue One yet?

It's certainly going to involve fighter pilots in a major way (not explicitly stated but strongly implied through in-the-know tweeters) and features Felicity Jones as one of the lead roles, probably a female pilot but that's just speculation. That's all we know I think.

strafer

Kinda disappointed but I haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel yet.

He's certainly has the awards though.

Edit: Someone should make a new thread with the news.

I was thinking about it but it's just the composer. I would hardly call it big news.

Busty

Banned
It's certainly going to involve fighter pilots in a major way (not explicitly stated but strongly implied through in-the-know tweeters) and features Felicity Jones as one of the lead roles, probably a female pilot but that's just speculation. That's all we know I think.

I thought it was about
pirates/smugglers trying to steal the plans for the Death Star and the Rogue One of the title was the name of the ship as in Boba Fett's Slave One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom