• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty hyperbolic.

I used to read Devins posts on CHUD in the early 00s. The guy was a real asshole.

He would throw his nose up at anything fun and shit talk mainstream stuff but when some artsy came around he would quickly throw praise behind it.

The force awakens is like the total opposite of the kinds of films he praises (super depressing art house films by weird directors).

So I know this is off topic, but can someone explain to me what counts as official canon extended universe? I know they nuked it all a year or so back, right?

Does my question make sense?

Here is an easy list of official canon after the Extended Universe was labeled as "Legends" for those that are confused.

All Six Films
The Clone Wars (CG animated series)
Rebels
All fiction since the release of the novel A New Dawn, including the new Marvel comics

Oh, so theres a topic for this now.

While I wouldnt be so confident if Edwards was director of one of the main movies (still too fresh), I'm totally on board with Gareth as director of a side movie. But I'm not so sure about Weitz as writer. Star Wars Rogue One, brought to you buy the same man who brought you American Pie and the Twilight New Moon adaptation, and wrote classics like Antz and Nutty Professor 2. Sort of a random choice.

I think calling Looper a "modern classic" is a little gracious. I know a bunch of people liked it but somehow I doubt people will be showing it to their kids in 30 years.

The only thing I've watched from Johnson that he both wrote and directed was Looper, which I could not enjoy because it was a movie that acted cleverer than it was and lacked internal consistency. I'd be more comfortable with either him writing and someone else directing, or him directing with someone else writing. Just throwing someone else into the mix with him so the movie doesnt develop Lucas-prequelitis.
However, those of you who have seen his other write/direct movies might have a more educated opinion about him.

Link? I don't remember him saying any of that.

If anything, JJ Abrams managing to shift the release date back to December was considered a win for him, because Iger did NOT want to come off of May 2015.

JJ Abrams said he was executive producer on Episode VIII literally a few weeks ago. It's even video taped and on YouTube I think.

I used to read Devins posts on CHUD in the early 00s. The guy was a real asshole.

He would throw his nose up at anything fun and shit talk mainstream stuff but when some artsy came around he would quickly throw praise behind it.

The force awakens is like the total opposite of the kinds of films he praises (super depressing art house films by weird directors).

If you think the films that Devin praises are depressing and weird, I've got some films to show you.

His top 15 of the year is full of fairly mainstream fare like John Wick, Nightcrawler, Selma, Guardians of the Galaxy, Grand Budapest, and Gone Girl.

It's one of the more mainstream lists I've seen from a film critic this year.

FeD.nL

Rogue One = Rogue Leader right? Or atleast Wedge has used Rogue One instead of Rogue leader as his callsign. Give me my Wedge Antilles film, there was talk that Abrams talked to Denis Lawson for a (cameo) role in EP VII but he declined.

If you think the films that Devin praises are depressing and weird, I've got some films to show you.

His top 15 of the year is full of fairly mainstream fare like John Wick, Nightcrawler, Selma, Guardians of the Galaxy, Grand Budapest, and Gone Girl.

It's one of the most mainstream lists I've seen from a film critic this year.

Those movies really aren't all that mainstream and he reason he likes guardians is because James Gunn is a weird no name director which Devin always liked to give a push to.

TDLink

Disney choosing to release Episode VIII only a few weeks after Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is a very odd choice. Guardians benefits from being out first but I really don't understand why they are both in the same month. GotG 2 could have serious legs, like the first movie, but instead Star Wars is 100% going to cut it off.

Blader

Disney choosing to release Episode VIII only a few weeks after Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is a very odd choice. Guardians benefits from being out first but I really don't understand why they are both in the same month. GotG 2 could have serious legs, like the first movie, but instead Star Wars is 100% going to cut it off.

It'll have legs but probably not #1 at the box office for four weeks kind of legs. Did even Avengers do that?

I wasn't aware that people ever took Faraci seriously.

Why not? His sources are generally pretty good and on point, even if he can be kind of a prick.

JesseZao

Two weeks after star wars, gotg 2 gets an additional 7 min post credits scene. Two weeks after that, star wars gets one.

Erevador

This is pretty hyperbolic.
It isn't hyperbolic at all. He does this stuff all the time. He is constantly writing think pieces or twitter ranting based on bad information. He likes to insinuate things, all non-committal like, and knowingly send people into a rage about something based on bad info.

Back before the female cast was announced for Star Wars VII he wrote about how horrible it was there weren't more female characters in the film. Peter Sciretta from SlashFilm openly confronted him about this on twitter, saying that they both knew there were major female roles that hadn't been cast yet, and that Faraci was drumming up anger over incomplete casting.

This is also a guy who literally tried to box a filmmaker he didn't like, and then got clobbered pathetically. That pretty much sums up his whole approach to journalism. Air quotes.

Jarmel

Banned
While I'd initially thought that John Boyega was going to be THE lead of The Force Awakens, it really does seem that role is more suited to Daisy Ridley's character. Maybe Boyega takes over in Episode 8. But regardless - this means Star Wars is returning to theaters for the immediate future as a female-led film series. Force Awakens belongs to Ridley. Rogue One belongs to Jones.

It's kinda weird too as Boyega is the first character show in the trailer and his background makes him seem like the Luke of the trilogy.

Ithil

There's no way this isn't about Rogue Squadron, right? All Space Battles all the time? 120 minutes of trying to get tow cables around AT-AT legs?

I'm sure they will inject some drama.

"I've brought down the AT-AT with my tow cable. If only someone could wrap a tow cable around my broken heart"

It isn't hyperbolic at all.

Yeah it is. You're speaking like you personally know the guy as opposed to just reading his articles. Listing off things about his articles that annoy you isn't actually support for your hyperbolic claims that he has a "vendetta" against JJ Abrams or that he "says untrue things all the time." Hell, your example - that he thought Star Wars should have more women in it, isn't an "untrue" thing - even IF he knew there were more woman roles to be cast.

This is also a guy who literally tried to box a filmmaker he didn't like, and then got clobbered pathetically.

That was part of the Fantastic Debates section of Fantastic Fest. It didn't originate with him. You're making it sound like it wasn't a planned event as part of a film festival. That's pretty hyperbolic of you.

And yes, Swanberg beat the shit out of him.

Randdalf

Is this the first time they've referred to the Star Wars cinematic galaxy? They're definitely going full-on Marvel with this.

I'm sure they will inject some drama.

"I've brought down the AT-AT with my tow cable. If only someone could wrap a tow cable around my broken heart"

I wish you would lower your deflector shields and let me in. I love you.

I can't. My heart is encased in carbonite. I've been hurt in the past too often.

Search your feelings. You know you love me too.

You're a senator, and I'm a droid. I cannot love you [PHILIP J FRY]. It is forbidden.

munchie64

Don't know how I'd feel about this, but what if this film is set during the OT? Like takes place in the background or something?

JJ just got added as a EP. More of just a title these days.

It can be just a title, yeah. But Star Wars is a series where the executive producer has carried weight before.

Then again, these aren't the Lucas days anymore, and its no guarantee that Abrams is that figure, either. Although if he and Kasdan really did work over the three-film treatment that Arndt turned in a couple years ago, then maybe it could still apply.

It's weird that Gary Whitta's name isn't listed anywhere there but I wonder if it's a WGA arbitration thing that needs to be sorted out first.

Is this the first time they've referred to the Star Wars cinematic galaxy? They're definitely going full-on Marvel with this.

We've known this since day one. It was announced right away that they would be doing the sequel trilogy and multiple spin offs. Bob Iger and Lucas said on the day of the deal something like "we have scripts for 7,8,9 and then we have all these comics and books and games that we can use for movies beyond that".

That's why I didn't panic when they moved the EU to legends. All those characters and stories will return to canon just rearranged like how marvel uses things from the comics to adapt into the cinematic universe.

JJ just got added as a EP. More of just a tittle these days.

EP can be anything from a contractually obligated credit for someone with no creative input at all to someone with a massive say in the project who is on set almost every day. We really can't draw any conclusions from it.

Why not? His sources are generally pretty good and on point, even if he can be kind of a prick.

Well, to be fair there's not a lot of online journalists that I pay much attention to. I feel like when it comes to online journalism especially in the movie/videogame arena that you have more room for misinformation, personal vendettas, etc. You'll excuse my opinion that a lot of these writers just kind of do or write whatever; I like unbiased sources of information personally. It's nothing against Faraci personally, it's just that I feel the same way about most of that ilk.

TDLink

It'll have legs but probably not #1 at the box office for four weeks kind of legs. Did even Avengers do that?

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=avengers11.htm

Avengers was #1 for 3 weeks before dropping to #2. The problem is Star Wars and Guardians are both big space movies. Avengers was still #2 in week 4 because people were still going to see it, there wasn't another superhero movie out at the box office. Once Star Wars is out, how many people are going to opt to see Guardians over it? Yeah in May Guardians was almost certainly never going to be #1 on its 4th week, but now it probably won't even be #2 or might not break the top 3 because Star Wars is a similar but much more popular franchise.

Metalmarc

somewhere online within the last year said one of the spinoffs was titled something to do with "Rogue" looks like they got it right, but wasn't it called Rogue Six or something, i know i'm not imagining it,

And the others were meant to be stand alone films of eiher Yoda/Boba Fett/Han Solo

Erevador

Yeah it is. You're speaking like you personally know the guy as opposed to just reading his articles. Listing off things about his articles that annoy you isn't actually support for your hyperbolic claims that he has a "vendetta" against JJ Abrams or that he "says untrue things all the time." Hell, your example - that he thought Star Wars should have more women in it, isn't an "untrue" thing - even IF he knew there were more woman roles to be cast.

That was part of the Fantastic Debates section of Fantastic Fest. It didn't originate with him. You're making it sound like it wasn't a planned event as part of a film festival. That's pretty hyperbolic of you.

And yes, Swanberg beat the shit out of him.
I've followed him on Twitter for years, the guy is pretty direct about who he is and what he thinks, though of course I don't know him personally, which I am grateful for. You seem pretty invested in defending him, which seems strange since most of his fanboys will admit he is kind of a troll. That's part of his schtick, though I think it is an irresponsible schtick for someone with an influential platform. He's the blogging equivalent of a radio shock jock.

The Swanberg debate was just a physical manifestation of the way that Faraci seems to approach films in general. He likes to smack around and bully artists who don't do what he likes. And not in a Roger Ebert, "Your Movie Sucks" kind of way. He'll smack around movies that are in process, usually claiming some kind of vague "inside source' that backs up whatever he's saying. My criticism of him here is a lot less cruel and personal than the kind of stuff he writes all the time, both on his site and on social media.

I can't understand why anyone would want to defend him, even if they enjoy what he writes. He's like the Perez Hilton of nerd sites, it's a train wreck, but people can't look away.

Anyways, I don't want to completely derail this thread. But Devin Faraci is the worst guy in the movie blog business. Bar none.

I've followed him on Twitter for years,

Why?

You seem pretty invested in defending him,

Not really. I'm calling you hyperbolic. I have yet to try and refute your description of Devin's general persona online. I'm calling your description of his "vendetta" of Abrams, and your assertion that "says untrue things all the time" hyperbolic. I don't have to defend the man's nature to do that. And I'm not.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I will gladly take a Wedge Antilles movie.

Erevador

Masochism. And everyone who writes about movies is often interacting with him and responding to him, so just following him makes it easier to keep up with the conversation.

Not really. I'm calling you hyperbolic. I have yet to try and refute your description of Devin's general persona online. I'm calling your description of his "vendetta" of Abrams, and your assertion that "says untrue things all the time" hyperbolic. I don't have to defend the man's nature to do that. And I'm not.
Alright, so we agree on some things. I specifically said that Faraci vaguely attributes fire-starting rumors to "sources" and publishes them with little information, but enough leading suggestion to help people make their own (wrong) conclusions. That is what I meant by "says untrue things all the time."

By way of example, he posted a completely unsubstantiated rumor that J.J. Abrams was unhappy and could be jumping ship as director on episode 7. This naturally ignited an internet firestorm, as people tried to understand where that info came from. Faraci of course played it off like everyone had overreacted and joked about his set visits being revoked. Then he did what people usually do when they lie on the internet, write about something else and hope it goes away. He's done that kind of thing a lot. He has a slant on things, and interprets info (often so-called "inside info" that people haven't seen) with a lot of confirmation bias.

It's great for clicks because you "say what no other site will say!" Because the other sites want to make sure it's true first.

If you guys are wondering why Disney have moved Ep 8 from their previously announced December 2017 release date, it's because they aren't stupid enough to put it up against Avatar 2.

By way of example, he posted a completely unsubstantiated rumor that J.J. Abrams was unhappy and could be jumping ship as director on episode 7.

It wasn't unsubstantiated. It was part of the fight that led to the film's start date getting pushed back to December. Abrams was unhappy. He didn't get what he wanted, either. And now you're only seeing his name in an executive producer context. There's probably something to that.

I'd suggest unfollowing people you don't like, especially people you consider to be "the worst in the movie blog business," which is, again, really hyperbolic. He's nowhere near the level of, say, Jeffrey Wells.

I don't think it was even actually a thing, just a baseless rumor from the start.

Nah, the rumor had its basis in a report from Vulture/New York Magazine. It wasn't baseless. It didn't pan out, but Vulture isn't going to just run a story about Snyder meeting with Lucasfilm based on the sort of "insider" speculation that fuels the enthusiast press.

Unfortunately I think the Seven Samurai Jedi movie idea has been dead ever since Snyder decided to become Lord of the DC Cinematic Universe.

Doesn't mean they can't still do something similar. I'd probably be just as happy if they decided to give me a Yojimbo style Jedi movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom