• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
c'mon.

Cw9pDAl.jpg

But its Rogue One...

Floex

The mod who changed the topic title, that makes it sound like Rian Johnson is directing Rouge One which he isn't.

Eggbok

Alright Disney now you can reveal that Star Wars 1313 still exists and is being worked on by Visceral to tie in with Rogue One.

pls :/

Blader

A Rogue Squadron movie?! Fuck yeah.

Episode VIII back in May, eh? Certainly won't complain about a 5-month gap between new Star Wars.

The mod who changed the topic title, that makes it sound like Rian Johnson is directing Rouge One which he isn't.

Didn't even notice the title had been changed. Yeah, that's going to confuse people.

"Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8" fits.

jett

D-Member
Soon enough we'll be getting two SW movies every year.

I wonder what kind of movie is Gareth Edwards going to end up making.

overcast

My idea of this concept sounds cool. but Gareth Edwards isn't very good.

Episode VIII is coming out pretty soon after VII which I don't like, but Rian is pretty good. I have faith they have already done a lot of the writing/prep for it.

So I guess Rogue One won't be about Poe Dameron since Felicity Jones is starring, but maybe he'll still be in it and played by Isaacs? Do these spin-offs occur between the episodic chronology?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
it's terrible and it looks like disney fuckery. I just hope rian johnson and the scriptwriters can work fine in the time constraint.

What time constraint? It's not like they have to wait for Abrams' movie to be finished before they start work on theirs.

So I guess Rogue One won't be about Poe Dameron since Felicity Jones is starring, but maybe he'll still be in it and played by Isaacs? Do these spin-offs occur between the episodic chronology?

No one really knows what's up with the spinoff at all. people were guessing it was a Boba Fett movie until the title just dropped, and now it seems like it could be like a Top Gun riff. I don't know if anyone has any idea as to what time period this spinoff is set in.

No one really knows what's up with the spinoff at all. people were guessing it was a Boba Fett movie until the title just dropped, and now it seems like it could be like a Top Gun riff. I don't know if anyone has any idea as to what time period this spinoff is set in.

I'd prefer it if they were used to fill gaps between episodes.

Gusy

Hope this is a prequel about Porkins life and his journey through the rebel alliance up to his heoric death as a part of rogue squadron ;)

Always thought Michael Stackpole's X-Wing books would make for an excellent screen adaptation from Wedge's perspective. Isard is a decent villain too--not as memorable as Thrawn but very decent.

Anyway: all that stuff is out of the canon now, but a spin-off that potentially focuses on fighter pilots and fleet tactics definitely has me cautiously optimistic.

While I'd initially thought that John Boyega was going to be THE lead of The Force Awakens, it really does seem that role is more suited to Daisy Ridley's character. Maybe Boyega takes over in Episode 8. But regardless - this means Star Wars is returning to theaters for the immediate future as a female-led film series. Force Awakens belongs to Ridley. Rogue One belongs to Jones.

Abounder

Banned
While I'd initially thought that John Boyega was going to be THE lead of The Force Awakens, it really does seem that role is more suited to Daisy Ridley's character. Maybe Boyega takes over in Episode 8. But regardless - this means Star Wars is returning to theaters for the immediate future as a female-led film series.

I wonder if that's why Tron is being brought back, to target a male demographic

I wonder if that's why Tron is being brought back, to target a male demographic

Heh, not bad. And maybe not even all that off the mark, who knows. They do definitely know way more than I do about what's going on in their offices. :)

Although I doubt boys are going to STOP watching Star Wars just because there's girls leading it now.

OH MY GOD

You mean to tell me that there making a Star Wars movie that actually focuses on military combat like the old films and not Jedi Super Hero Ninjas twirling around ?

There is a GOD

Odoul

gareth edwards? chris weitz?
full

hope it's good but neither inspires confidence.

Godzilla gets worse everytime I revisit it. And if it was up to him the remake wouldn't have had spikes or atomic breath.

I hope he's got someone looking over his back.

Rogue One.

Maybe he'll get a co-writing credit? They made sure to credit Knoll for coming up with the story.

He'll be credited in some way since he's the original writer. It doesn't matter if they toss his whole script, he'll still get a story by credit at the very least.

2 Star Wars films basically 5 months apart will be interesting. Rogue One better be good or it might affect Episode VIII with some bad will being that close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom