• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

If you guys are wondering why Disney have moved Ep 8 from their previously announced December 2017 release date, it's because they aren't stupid enough to put it up against Avatar 2.

It occurred to me, since I have no idea how these deals work, do you think Disney hopes that Avatar 2 is a huge success? It's not their movie, but given their new Avatar Land park, wouldn't Cameron's sequels being successful also be in Disney's interest?

It occurred to me, since I have no idea how these deals work, do you think Disney hopes that Avatar 2 is a huge success? It's not their movie, but given their new Avatar Land park, wouldn't Cameron's sequels being successful also be in Disney's interest?
Yeah it would be better for them and all the money they've pumped into that park if Avatar does well.

Star Wars: Rogue Thong

tumblr_m72pzjj1LZ1ql9wr1o1_500.jpg

Ever since Disney announced that they wanted to do Spinoffs to the Star Wars franchise, I've been wanting an X-Wing movie. So excited for this film. Here's hoping that they do that Obi Wan spinoff next :p

Voror

Rouge Squadron movie? Sign me up!

I'd presume this is probably about the future Rogues rather than Wedge and the others. They should consult Stackpole who wrote half the Rogue Squadron novels.

Erevador

It wasn't unsubstantiated. It was part of the fight that led to the film's start date getting pushed back to December. Abrams was unhappy. He didn't get what he wanted, either. And now you're only seeing his name in an executive producer context. There's probably something to that.
Abrams may have had disputes with the studio, I'm sure he did, you are right about that. But Faraci tried to re frame his misinformation about Abrams jumping ship as being okay because it suggested rumblings of discontent.

I can't believe he was naive enough to suppose that people on the internet weren't going to run with it and that it wouldn't become a misleading headline (which it did). Same with the women in Star Wars thing, it tied into a narrative that was bound to capture a huge amount of attention, even if it was based on bad info. People on IO9 also wrote about that, though I am willing to believe that they were uninformed enough to not know about the parts that weren't cast yet, and were just feeding the Gawker beast.

I'd suggest unfollowing people you don't like, especially people you consider to be "the worst in the movie blog business," which is, again, really hyperbolic. He's nowhere near the level of, say, Jeffrey Wells.
Fair point, though if you're engaged with this stuff it is hard to avoid. Everything written somewhere is sourced everywhere else.

Anyways, that's enough Devin Faraci talk. He'd love all this attention. We can agree to disagree on him being the worst.

Back to Star Wars, are you the Bobby Roberts from the Full of Sith podcast? If so, I enjoy the show.

Fair point, though if you're engaged with this stuff it is hard to avoid. Everything written somewhere is sourced everywhere else.

True, it's hard to duck things from people you don't really like if they insist on being really, really loud all the time. But there are ways to muffle them, and I feel like if I can fix the signal-to-noise ratio a little, I might as well try. Hell, sometimes I *am* that guy. And I understand when people do what they can to get me to shut the hell up a little bit, too :)

And yeah, that's me! And thanks for listening. It's definitely appreciated.

Blader

Rouge Squadron movie? Sign me up!

I'd presume this is probably about the future Rogues rather than Wedge and the others. They should consult Stackpole who wrote half the Rogue Squadron novels.

Considering Wedge's actor turned down Episode VII because he thought it'd be boring to be in Star Wars again, odds are we won't be seeing Wedge again anytime soon.

Erevador

Considering Wedge's actor turned down Episode VII because he thought it'd be boring to be in Star Wars again, odds are we won't be seeing Wedge again anytime soon.
Yeah, it's unfortunate for the fans that Denis Lawson does seem to be really down on Star Wars, and doesn't seem to want anything to do with it. He's a great actor, so it is a loss for us. It'd be a real thrill to see Wedge on screen again.

Fans of Wedge should definitely check out Lawson in Local Hero and Hornblower.

True, it's hard to duck things from people you don't really like if they insist on being really, really loud all the time. But there are ways to muffle them, and I feel like if I can fix the signal-to-noise ratio a little, I might as well try. Hell, sometimes I *am* that guy. And I understand when people do what they can to get me to shut the hell up a little bit, too :)

And yeah, that's me! And thanks for listening. It's definitely appreciated.
Good points!

You guys will be podcasting from Celebration right? I'll be covering it as press, so maybe we'll run into each other.

You guys will be podcasting from Celebration right? I'll be covering it as press, so maybe we'll run into each other.

The show will be there definitely, but I have neither the vacation time nor the extra cash to spend to hit up Anaheim, so if I make an appearance, it'll be via Skype or nothing

We gonna act like Avatar's gonna make that release date?
Yeah. It's already gone through the requisite Cameron cycle of two delays. They're pretty confident about starting filming later this year - which is why Saldana has blocked out more than 6 months for filming.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah. It's already gone through the requisite Cameron cycle of two delays. They're pretty confident about starting filming later this year - which is why Saldana has blocked out more than 6 months for filming.

Saladana is filming Star Trek this summer as well (June start date I believe). So I assume it'd not begin till after that wraps. She also has Guardians of the Galaxies 2 which will shoot in early 2016 I believe. Pretty tight window. They can't delay Avatar 2 because that is likely the only 6 month window Saladana has free. She has to jump straight from Trek to Avatar straight to GOTG currently.

120v

i wonder how they're going to differentiate these spinoffs from the main series. kinda worried about oversaturation... like by the time episode VIII or IX roll around regular movie-goers are going to be like "oh, that's just another star wars"

normally i wouldn't worry about it but since they're ditching the 'Episode VII' title from Force Awakens, it makes me wonder

PBalfredo

Holy shit! A Rogue Squadron movie?! I am in. I am so in.

The space combat has always been one of my favorite parts of the Star Wars movies, so if we end up with a movie dedicated solely to that, Episode VII could go full prequel quality and I'll still come out of these new films happy.
Time to bring back

0aJlKfK.jpg

Yes. YES!

The stars are aligning. Rogue One will need a video-game tie-in. EA is making its Star Wars games a major release. Star Citizen is raising a jillion dollars and is set to revitalize space sims.

Totally Games is still around. Someone get Lawrence Holland on the phone, right now!

TDLink

I am going to be so burned out on Star Wars by 2020.

New Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel, and DC movies every year until 2020.

I really am going to wonder what people in general are going to think of all these big franchises after a few years of being barraged by them. Surely it's going to lead to burnout on something.

Riann confirmed Frank Oz will be in Episode VIII

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-terry-gilliam-star-wars/

And Terry Gilliam has one request: “please bring Frank Oz back”, to which Rian Johnson quickly responds:

“You kidding? How could you not. How could you not!”

He also pledges the virtual sets of the prequel trilogy are a thing of the past and he will rely on more practical effects, less CGI:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rian-johnson-says-next-star-726036

“They’re doing so much practical building for this one. It’s awesome,” Johnson said on the latest Girls in Hoodies podcast. “I think people are coming back around to [practical effects]. It feels like there is sort of that gravity pulling us back toward it. I think that more and more people are hitting kind of a critical mass in terms of the CG-driven action scene lending itself to a very specific type of action scene, where physics go out the window and it becomes so big so quick.”
“I probably sound like a grumpy old man talking about it,” Johnson continued. “I do wonder because I think kids are growing up watching those and that’s the thing that they love now, so I don’t know whether it is a generational thing, and it could be.”

This man gets it. Its the reason 99% of the movies released in the past 15 years have been huge letdowns for me. The 80s films I grew up with felt way more real than anything I've seen recently. Even early 90s stuff like T2 and Jurassic Park are far superior because there is a weight to everything and everything is believable.

Riann confirmed Frank Oz will be in Episode VIII

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-terry-gilliam-star-wars/

He also pledges the virtual sets of the prequel trilogy are a thing of the past and he will rely on more practical effects, less CGI:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rian-johnson-says-next-star-726036

YES!

Have there been cigarettes or cigars in any Star Wars movie? I can't seem to recall any instance of it.

There's a guy that sells "death sticks" in Episode 2. You think the name would imply what kind of opinion the film maker had of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom