• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Spinoff is now "Rogue One," Rian Johnson Confirmed for Ep 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

Every time I see Gareth Edwards name I think Gareth Evans (The Raid [2]) and in the case of Star Wars, get sorta antsy as to how that would turn out.

2 Star Wars films basically 5 months apart will be interesting. Rogue One better be good or it might affect Episode VIII with some bad will being that close.

Thor 2 didn't affect Guardians, really.

It really depends on whether the characters introduced in Force Awakens really resonate. At which point it won't really matter what/how the spinoff does - people will return for Episode 8 because the characters they really care about are in there.

Space vollyball scene?

You're right, Ackbar. I AM Dangerous.

(bite)

Thor 2 didn't affect Guardians, really.

It really depends on whether the characters introduced in Force Awakens really resonate. At which point it won't really matter what/how the spinoff does - people will return for Episode 8 because the characters they really care about are in there.
I would argue Star Wars is a bit of a different beast here, there's never really been a stand alone film before compared to what has been done with all the comic book movies.

2 Star Wars films basically 5 months apart will be interesting. Rogue One better be good or it might affect Episode VIII with some bad will being that close.

It's Star Wars, people don't give a fuck. We just got over an entire new trilogy that most people saw as massive disappointments, yet the hype is in full swing for these new ones. How Rogue One is perceived by the masses isn't going to put a dent into anything.

It's Star Wars, people don't give a fuck. We just got over an entire new trilogy that most people saw as massive disappointments, yet the hype is in full swing for these new ones. How Rogue One is perceived by the masses isn't going to put a dent into anything.
That's because it's been 10 years since the last one, and yeah, people were disappointed. How much hype will there be for another movie x amount of months later after a disappointing movie? There will already be more Star Wars movies from the release of TFA to Episode VII in a shorter time period than between any of the previous episodes.

I don't think it is anymore.
It will be interesting to see what happens.

I wish Rian Johnson stuck to original content. I will watch Star Wars but you can give it to any capable director and it will be Star Wars. I want more Looper and more importantly, Brick.

ryan299

JJ got booted from the franchise it seems like. Not even a producing credit on Episode 8. Devin from Badass, said there was a power struggle and JJ lost.

JJ got booted from the franchise it seems like. Not even a producing credit on Episode 8. Devin from Badass, said there was a power struggle and JJ lost.

Link? I don't remember him saying any of that.

If anything, JJ Abrams managing to shift the release date back to December was considered a win for him, because Iger did NOT want to come off of May 2015.

That's because it's been 10 years since the last one, and yeah, people were disappointed. How much hype will there be for another movie x amount of months later after a disappointing movie? There will already be more Star Wars movies from the release of TFA to Episode VII in a shorter time period than between any of the previous episodes.

So if Episode VII is great, and Rogue One is bad, you think people will lose interest in Episode VIII? What if Episode VII is great but Rogue One sucks? Will people think "well, Episode VII is great but I'm not interested in Episode VIII anymore because that spin-off written and directed by totally different people sucked." This entire conversation is fueled by a shitload of what-ifs. I guess if Episode VII sucks, and Rogue One sucks, that it might have something of an impact on Episode VIII, but then again a lot of people thought Episode I sucked yet they flocked back for Episode II and Episode III.

With Star Wars, the quality has always been all over the place but they still make bank because... it's Star Wars.

Maximus.

More details on Starwars.com. Also, finally confirmation from Disney that Rian Johnson is doing Episode 8.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-...direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

EDIT: I've been bamboozled by OP!

Damn... Gary Whitta cut from the press release.

It's not a name that inspires confidence or good will. His projects haven't really been that successful to be honest. The other names presented are from movies or franchises that have done well or are well known.

Although reading both the press release and checking Badass to see where that weird quote about JJ losing a "power struggle" might have come from - it really does seem like "Rogue One" is the title.

The spinoffs might not actually have the words "Star Wars" in their title.

edit: and Abrams is still credited as Exec Producer on Episode 8.

So if Episode VII is great, and Rogue One is bad, you think people will lose interest in Episode VIII? What if Episode VII is great but Rogue One sucks? Will people think "well, Episode VII is great but I'm not interested in Episode VIII anymore because that spin-off written and directed by totally different people sucked." This entire conversation is fueled by a shitload of what-ifs. I guess if Episode VII sucks, and Rogue One sucks, that it might have something of an impact on Episode VIII, but then again a lot of people thought Episode I sucked yet they flocked back for Episode II and Episode III.

With Star Wars, the quality has always been all over the place but they still make bank because... it's Star Wars.
Nah, I'm just saying it's going to be a different feel from what we're used to. Going from waiting 3 years between movies to 12 months/5 months will change things. I think most of us guessed this would happen anyway once Disney bought LFL, just weird to finally see it all underway.

I'm as big as a Star Wars fanboy as there is (actually, that's probably not true - there's some reeeeeeally big ones out there), so I'll be there every time no matter how good/bad they end up being. Just interested to see how the general public will respond to it.

18-Volt

Rogue One. A Star Wars movie with emphasis on "Star" part. I like it.

This also means we'll get a Lego Star Wars game in 2017 with first two movies and the spinoff.

Solo

dat franchise saturation

I know Marvel Studios has set the precedent and are laughing all the way to the bank, but damn if I don't miss a few years between films and taking time to make things good instead of cranking them out annually, because money, like a sports videogame.

I'm as big as a Star Wars fanboy as there is (actually, that's probably not true - there's some reeeeeeally big ones out there), so I'll be there every time no matter how good/bad they end up being. Just interested to see how the general public will respond to it.

I think some people will want to watch everything being offered, some may only want to watch the main episodes... who knows. It's not really my concern because they'll still make money regardless. I'm just here to enjoy the films, not worry about a multi-billion dollar corporation's box office luck.

Erevador

Devin Faraci says untrue things all the time, and has a personal vendetta against JJ Abrams. So maybe take what he says with a grain of salt.

inm8num2

dat franchise saturation

I know Marvel Studios has set the precedent and are laughing all the way to the bank, but damn if I don't miss a few years between films and taking time to make things good instead of cranking them out annually, because money, like a sports videogame.

Just wait until we have to pre-order short film prologues and additional scenes when we buy the movie tickets. :p

Star Wars: Top Gun? I'd watch that day 1. I'd watch most Star Wars films day 1, actually.
"I feel the need...the need for Sheev!"

900x900px-LL-a514bf4b_clapping.gif

Calcium

Banned
Great time to be a Star Wars fan. Hopefully Rogue One is going to be like a Rogue Squadron movie. That'd be pretty damn cool.

So I know this is off topic, but can someone explain to me what counts as official canon extended universe? I know they nuked it all a year or so back, right?

Does my question make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom