• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

I don't care what anyone's excuse is for using this, I just hate the idea that soon I'm potentially going to be swamped with "Stability" updates every time I turn my system on because of this shit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
UMD was slow as shit so ripping your games provided a vastly superior experience?

You people must have short-ass memory spans.

So that makes stealing fine. Ok then. Even if you weren't stealing your condoning people that do it by defending there means which doesn't make sense.

Linkhero1

I'll see I can find it but there's more than evidence that the rampant piracy on the psp were part of the reasons for it's pitiful software sales.

That's fine. Just PM me. I have to go soon.

Not buying it, buying it used, or buying it new are better than pirating. That's the end of that.

Okay, then don't claim that they affected sales without substantial proof. Because people not buying it and used games affect sales too, so you can't just pinpoint it at piracy alone.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I never really understand why people seem to take piracy news so personally. Maybe I'm just jaded/cynical, but I always see piracy as an inevitability and anti-piracy measures always a delay or stop-gap at best. If anything, I'm more than amazed that it's taken this long for any potential flash cart functionality to succeed on the 3DS, especially since it is a region-locked system and the DS ended up being so flashcart-friendly.

I do agree that it can be a bummer for niche games and deter localization of non-blockbuster titles, which sucks for everyone. But the industry is what it is, and getting bent out of shape over piracy just seems like a waste of energy. Just like everything else in life, you can only control your own actions. So buy the games you like and be comfortable in the knowledge that you support the developers who's work you enjoy, because that's all you can really do.

You realize the DS was had carts too, right? R4? How did it kill the DS?

It isn't about whether or not it killed the DS. It was about how it affected developers and publishers. PSP was a niche enough system that piracy killed it in the West. Monster Hunter made big enough sales to still move units despite piracy otherwise.

yami4ct

I don't care what anyone's excuse is for using this, I just hate the idea that soon I'm potentially going to be swamped with "Stability" updates every time I turn my system on because of this shit.

Well, at least the 3DS can auto-download updates while its asleep via spotpass. That's better than what PS3 can do if you don't have Plus. Still going to be a hassle, but just hitting the install button and waiting like a minute isn't too bad.

mclem

I know what you mean but it's not just the account system, it's the digital pricing too. I can often find a game 10-15 EUR cheaper at retail or second-hand than in the eShop. It'd be great of course if Nintendo were to implement a basic account system and the ability to make backups of your retail carts to an SD card (combined with a Club Nintendo registration code or something), locking it to your 3DS (kind of like they do with software downloaded from the eShop).

You mean... kinda like the Xbox One?

Not piracy. Many will yse it for this purpose but if this gets rid of region restrictions and allows people who are against Nintendo's lack of account system to carry their library with them then its a legitimate usage.

So anyone someone buys a physical retail boxed copy of a game on any system, they are entitled to use non-approved methods avoid using the actual physical product? Whether such a product has a digital version or not, or the digital version comes with other restrictions or licenses is irrelevant. The quality of the digital version of the same game that is bought as a physical retail version doesn't matter.

If you want the digital version, you buy the digital version. If you buy the physical version, you cannot use "digital version sucks" as an excuse to justify turning your physical copy into a digital one. Think of a better excuse.

I'm not. Those people seem to refuse to acknowledge that legitimate use of these devices is more likely than they think, though.

Sure. It's possible.

DaBoss

Okay, then don't claim that they affected sales without substantial proof. Because people not buying it and used games affect sales too, so you can't just pinpoint it at piracy alone.

Yup, you're right, used games revenue doesn't go to the publisher or developers, but they are buying it legally and legitimately. Pirating it is illegal and illegitimate.

I don't have any numbers of pirated ROMs, and no one will probably ever get them, but there must be sites that keep track of the number of times games are downloaded and I imagine it would be in the thousands range.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Quite a leap of logic.

Not really, if you go use a black market and say black markets are great despite the fact the owners kills to obtain their items, You are condoning it. There's no two ways about that. If you argued both ways then you'd have a point but your not.

Otherwise it shows wilful ignorance and lack of understanding further reaching consequences.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not really, if you go use a black market and say black markets are great despite the fact the owners kills to obtain their items, You are condoning it. There's no two ways about that. No if you argued both ways then you'd have a point but your not.
I honestly can't understand what you're saying.

yami4ct

I never really understand why people seem to take piracy news so personally. Maybe I'm just jaded/cynical, but I always see piracy as an inevitability and anti-piracy measures always a delay or stop-gap at best. If anything, I'm more than amazed that it's taken this long for any potential flash cart functionality to succeed on the 3DS, especially since it is a region-locked system and the DS ended up being so flashcart-friendly.

I do agree that it can be a bummer for niche games and deter localization of non-blockbuster titles, which sucks for everyone. But the industry is what it is, and getting bent out of shape over piracy just seems like a waste of energy. Just like everything else in life, you can only control your own actions. So buy the games you like and be comfortable in the knowledge that you support the developers who's work you enjoy, because that's all you can really do.

Now that Nintendo has an easily updated firmware, this does mean copious amounts of firmware updates, but yeah this was inevitable. Even now, this doesn't seem like a really well done piracy enabler as it's one game per card. As for hurting niche game's translation chances, we got plenty of niche games on DS with piracy on that system. It certainly hurts some what, but niche fanbases do tend to come out and support their franchises in full force for new releases.

If there's one good thing to come out of this, and it doesn't outweigh the bad by any stretch, it should eventually mean we can get fan translations of 3DS games that don't make it out here.

stufte

The 3DS will be fine. The technical knowledge/requirement to make this happen is above most consumers. Just like the DS before it, R4 cards and the like were popular, but I don't think I ever met anyone outside of the internet that actually owned one.

Relax guys, this won't change a thing.

baphomet

So anyone someone buys a physical retail boxed copy of a game on any system, they are entitled to use non-approved methods avoid using the actual physical product? Whether such a product has a digital version or not, or the digital version comes with other restrictions or licenses is irrelevant. The quality of the digital version of the same game that is bought as a physical retail version doesn't matter.

If you want the digital version, you buy the digital version. If you buy the physical version, you cannot use "digital version sucks" as an excuse to justify turning your physical copy into a digital one. Think of a better excuse.

Sure. It's possible.

Or I can do whatever I feel like with the item I purchased.

I just don't understand how any sane individual would pay full retail for a digital downloaded game they can't then sell on. It's a good definition of stupidity.

er..

I never sell my games ever so why would I care if I cant sell on?

anyway I hope Nintendo block this ASAP!

Not necessarily.
You can't think about this in such a black and white perspective.
Also, the quality of the digital version DOES matter.

I mean, if it did not, then everyone should have bought the PC version of FF7 with that amazing DRM, right?

zashga

Doesn't break the region lock, so it's worthless to me. Enables piracy, so it's harmful to the health of the system. Bad news overall.

Shoyz

Doesn't break the region lock, so it's worthless to me. Enables piracy, so it's harmful to the health of the system. Bad news overall.

Nuts :( if the region-lock is hardware-based, does that mean no flashcard (or anything short of custom firmware) will ever get rid of that lock?

Tain

If this thing could get around region locking I would buy one and buy Japanese exclusive games (fuck off if you don't believe me) and use it to play them. I have no idea why I would avoid playing a game that I want to play because I'm not supposed to be able to play it. Having to give a few bucks to makers of a tool that allows pirates to pirate (among other things) is nowhere near good enough reason for me to avoid playing a game I want to play.

...but this thing doesn't let me get around region locking yet, so whatever.

How many digital download games have you bought at full retail?

3 games. And if I could exchange my physical copies of Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Kid Icarus for digital copies, I would do so. Nintendo just had released those games prior to releasing all their games on eShop.

By the way, didn't your tag used to read XBOX XBOX XBOX? I sure hope you never paid for Live because I consider that among the biggest rip-offs in gaming.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I honestly can't understand what you're saying.

Piracy is illegal the software your using is illegal, the far reaching consequences and generally bad, and even if they weren't what your doing is illegal. Your condoning something that harms business and is illegal. (Needs to be repeated often). Your defence of this is what? Convenience try using that in court. This isn't some anti-consumer crap so don't try to lump them together.

I'll admit that I've downloaded something illegal before but I'm not naïve enough to try to defend it.

Tain

Piracy is illegal the software your using is illegal, the far reaching consequences and generally bad, and even if they weren't what your doing is illegal. Your condoning something that harms business and is illegal. (Needs to be repeated often). Your defence of this is what? Convenience try using that in court.

lol "WELCOME TO THE COURT OF NEOGAF, BUSTER"

yami4ct

Nuts :( if the region-lock is hardware-based, does that mean no flashcard (or anything short of custom firmware) will ever get rid of that lock?

I think someone would have to break the encryption on the cards to hack out region locks. It's a lot further off, but encryption keys have definitely been broken or leaked in the past IIRC.

Linkhero1

Yup, you're right, used games revenue doesn't go to the publisher or developers, but they are buying it legally and legitimately. Pirating it is illegal and illegitimate.

I don't have any numbers of pirated ROMs, and no one will probably ever get them, but there must be sites that keep track of the number of times games are downloaded and I imagine it would be in the thousands range.

I agree with this. I'm all against piracy. I just don't like when people make the claim that all those pirates would have bought the game to begin with since there's no way to prove that.

Real talk:

Some people will use this legitimately to back up their own games and carry their entire collection on a single cart.
Many, most likely a majority, will use this illegitimately to play games they haven't bought.

If the use of the second group significantly damages the 3DS market I'd rather both groups would be deprived of the option to use this. But there's no actual indication that this would actually happen. The PS1, PS2 and DS were plagued by piracy and went on to be some of the most successful consoles with fantastic libraries. The PSP on the other hand saw a different fate. In the dedicated handheld market I don't know if I'd be willing to take that risk.

Not really, if you go use a black market and say black markets are great despite the fact the owners kills to obtain their items, You are condoning it. There's no two ways about that. If you argued both ways then you'd have a point but you're not.

OK, I actually get this.
Yeah, it's definitely a factor into it all, and I agree with you.
This is going to be used mainly to pirate. That's a given.
I'll be using it for something else. That's a given.

NEVERTHELESS, the fact that I'm purchasing one of these means that, even indirectly, I'm supporting this "backup" device, which will be used to pirate.
Am I a pirate? No.
Do I support pirates? No.
Do I support a device that will mostly be used by pirates? Yes.
That's the issue I have with this device.

I want one, but I know that if it is not stopped, it could cause an impact on the 3DS and it's gaming support.

And that's sad. Because I love the 3DS.

n00bsauce

Banned
And? The software sales got affected. Again, this isn't a solution, this is just a sidestep to a problem that leads to an even bigger problem.

List of top selling DS games

Just thought I would retort with some facts because you made that statement and you didn't check your sources. Nintendo DS has over 933 million official sales worldwide. Only the PS1 and PS2 out sold them. So no, that piracy argument holds no water.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Piracy is illegal the software your using is illegal, the far reaching consequences and generally bad, and even if they weren't what your doing is illegal. Your condoning something that harms business and is illegal. (Needs to be repeated often). Your defence of this is what? Convenience try using that in court. This isn't some anti-consumer crap so don't try to lump them together.

I'll admit that I've downloaded something illegal before but I'm not naïve enough to try to defend it.
cite these laws please

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
From gba temp

Ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card

The next thing is Save Data
as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

Basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

So pretty much it offers none of the advantages people who legally support flashcarts want (region unlocking, multiple games on one cart, homebrew), and just allows people to "back up" games for the cost of a micro sd card of the same size as the cartridge it comes on.

baphomet

Calling others pirates for backing up their games, and admitting that you pirate.

Just stop.

Or I can do whatever I feel like with the item I purchased.

You are always free to do that. The point was that people who use the "Nintendo's digital store sucks" as a justification have a terrible argument. The quality of the digital store shouldn't matter. Either you think it's okay to buy retail and convert to digital, or you don't.

Not necessarily.
You can't think about this in such a black and white perspective.
Also, the quality of the digital version DOES matter.

I mean, if it did not, then everyone should have bought the PC version of FF7 with that amazing DRM, right?

Quality of digital doesn't matter. If you bought the retail, then you bought the retail. If you want to convert that to digital on your own, then that is your choice. Quality of digital version should never matter since I cannot think of a scenario where you would justify converting to digital because the official digital product or store rules suck, but where you would not justify converting retail to digital because the digital product is acceptable.

If you are going to convert retail to digital, then you should have the stance of doing it no matter the quality of digital.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From gba temp

So pretty much it offers none of the advantages people who legally support flashcarts want (region unlocking, multiple games on one cart, homebrew), and just allows people to "back up" games for the cost of a micro sd card of the same size as the cartridge it comes on.

If that's the case, it will never affect negatively software sales like R4 and sons did for DS then.

also

Banned

How is installing custom firmware and ripping your own games illegal? Please point me to the specific law in question that forbids this.

Ridley327

From gba temp

Oh wow, this is ridiculously useless. Why even bother?

Top Bottom