• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

antonz

Uhh, just look at the PSP and tail end of the DS lifecycle.

Yep once R4 etc. became rampant in Europe there was visible decline in the sales charts of DS Software. It went from dominating the charts to titles rarely showing up and the retailers even screamed about the effect it was having on their once thriving handheld sales.

Abandond

With firmware updates, isn't this useless?

Not exactly.

There are flashcards that work on 3DS even after firmware updates, and usually the flashcard manufacturer will release an update so the flashcard still works if a recent 3DS update stops it from working.

Oersted

True. But it was also motivated in that case by the rise of mobile gaming.

PS2 or PSX never faced those problems. And if I remember right, by the end of PS2 life it was as simple as putting a DVD in the console.

I know exactly noone who bought a PSP game. Noone. ISOs from internet, every single one.

People have no shame regarding this.

DonMigs85

Yep once R4 etc. became rampant in Europe there was visible decline in the sales charts of DS Software. It went from dominating the charts to titles rarely showing up and the retailers even screamed about the effect it was having on their once thriving handheld sales.

Yes, and even parents were loading up roms for their kids

Zornica

Banned
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so I don't know if this has been commented yet.

Not that I support this, but how exactly would this kill the 3DS's future? Looking back at this DS, it still received a ton of great games and it was a pirate hub.

Yeah cos the DS sold really poorly didnt it!!!?, despite having numerous flash cards

hangon.... DS was one of the best selling handhelds of all time and piracy was easy and rampant.... How did this damage DS?

it didn't hurt the ds, but it hurt the software sales in europe severely and it basically killed most small publishers around (or at least made them move to other platforms)

I know many people in real life who owned a ds, bought many games for it. as soon as they got there r4 cards, they stopped buying games altogether. and from what I could gather, that has been the norm all over europe.

less and less games got published. In the end, basically nintendo was the only one left who kept publishing games. (even though there where many games that publishers could've picked up - they didn't, because sales weren't worth it).

With the 3ds, those publishers were returning slowly. but now... with region lock, it will be even worse than before.

I know exactly noone who bought a PSP game. Noone. ISOs from internet, every single one.

People have no shame regarding this.

I know people who had hundreds of pirated PSX games. And since he did not have internet he just rented them and copied them. Hell even one of them even sold games to other classmates!.

And PSX still was a huge success.

JazzmanZ

I know people who had hundreds of pirated PSX games. And since he did not have internet he just rented them and copied them. Hell even one of them even sold games to other classmates!.

And PSX still was a huge success.
you're missing the point, its not the hardware that suffered its the software that does.

Salsa

I know for a fact that if Nintendo introduced a proper account system then piracy would be much less of an issue.

Anyway, still region locked + one game at a time = pointless for me

still waiting on the real deal to circumvent Nintendo's stupid 3DS limitations

I dont want the system to become piracy land again, but a good flashcart would provide me with 0 risk of losing the games I purchase by not having them tied to the system, and the ability to back up my saves without risk of SD corruption

so yeah, as soon as one that does that show up, i'll be getting it

DonMigs85

You know that the one major difference, between those days and now, is that almost everyone has access to the internet?

This is true. Copied games were mostly common only in Asia and South America, and few in the USA had fast internet or CD burners at the time.
The Dreamcast was also badly affected by the rise of CD burners.

Salsa

people complaining about it's existence should think about outside the US

I can only buy games digitally, retail prices are impossible. If Nintendo wants me to purchase their games without a care then they should provide a system that makes it easier for me to buy the game and just legitimately have it there rather than going through the process of buying it + backing it up with a flashcart because of backwards ancient digital policies

a flashcart would get me to buy more games with much less worry

You know that the one major difference, between those days and now, is that almost everyone has access to the internet?

Still accesing to pirate games in those years were really easy. You can change PSX for PS2 who also had piracy, if you want. My point still stands.

Piracy by itself it isn't as harming as many people think. Other factors matters. There's a reason why platforms that suffers from piracy like PC, iOS and Android are a sucess for developers and people buy the games in those platforms.

Taker666

Hopefully Nintendo will be able to combat this with firmware. It would be a shame to see the machine plagued with piracy at this stage in its life.

..at the very least...lets hope eshop content and hacking online modes will be kept caged.

Sadly this is the sort of thing that will make bullshit anti-consumer DRM excuses appear justified.

DonMigs85

I can only buy games digitally, retail prices are impossible. If Nintendo wants me to purchase their games without a care then they should provide a system that makes it easier for me to buy the game and just legitimately have it there rather than going through the process of buying it + backing it up with a flashcart because of backwards ancient digital policies

If the games on the flashcart mess up or don't work with the Activity Log or Streetpass then I don't think it's worthwhile.
I guess I just like to play games the way the manufacturer intended. Never know if weird bugs might crop up too.
Another thing is that flashcarts tend to drain the battery faster since they contain their own processor

Anteo

We are the exception rather than the norm. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one that would still buy games. Everyone else is celebrating the fact that they can pirate 3ds games now.

Salsa

We are the exception rather than the norm. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one that would still buy games. Everyone else is celebrating the fact that they can pirate 3ds games now.

no doubt, but what do you want me to say, I wanna be able to buy games without worrying about 0 support from Nintendo if I break/lose the unit because im in a third world country without customer service. They can't blame me for getting one when they won't provide me with a better legitimate alternative. They can rest easy that i'll still buy all my games, but that's it

If the games on the flashcart mess up or don't work with the Activity Log or Streetpass then I don't think it's worthwhile.
I guess I just like to play games the way the manufacturer intended. Never know if weird bugs might crop up too.
Another thing is that flashcarts tend to drain the battery faster since they contain their own processor

given that the 3DS allows me to have multiple games at once in the unit, I think this time around i'd only really use it as a back up tool to make up for their lack of accounts

unless of course it kills the region lock

DonMigs85

It's your gubment's fault for charging such high taxes and import duties
Here in the Philippines retail games now cost the same or even slightly cheaper than in the USA. Back in the N64 days though prices were pretty nuts

One of my friends pirated all his DS software. Now he owns a Vita. All the software he plays is legal. Wanna know the reason? PS+.

Flawless.

He is right. A pirated copy don't equals a loss sale. If there wasn't piracy he wouldn't have bought that game that's all. There's no way to proof otherwise.

That is just Nintendo being completly oblivious of the fact people could buy portable software 10x cheaper than in the DS.

Anteo

no doubt, but what do you want me to say, I wanna be able to buy games without worrying about 0 support from Nintendo if I break/lose the unit because im in a third world country without customer service

Of course, I too am worried about no account system. I really want to go all digital but with no support is hard to commit and I'm always worried about some of my games. Still I doubt that would encourage some of my friends to buy games. (I think I'll go physical for LM)

It's your gubment's fault for charging such high taxes and import duties
Here in the Philippines retail games now cost the same or even slightly cheaper than in the USA. Back in the N64 days though prices were pretty nuts

Not really, retail games can be bought for $40-42 after a month (starting by the first day they arrive here, so like 2 months after launch) so is not that bad (is still bad). Console prices remain high for a long long time though.

One of my friends pirated all his DS software. Now he owns a Vita. All the software he plays is legal. Wanna know the reason? PS+.
It varies from person to person. I converted one friend from "sometimes buys pirated pc games" to "sometimes buy steam games on discount". The convenience and the low prices were key for that. I'm part of a small comunity of gamers (it all started with a streetpass group) and one of the guys here import games to sell, one time he told us he only play pirated games, and only got a 3ds because that Zelda 3ds was too good to pass up. It was weird, I mean that guy import games and makes a living out of it (not sure if is his only job), but still steals from the industry??

Sakura

Pretty disappointing news.
But it shouldn't be hard for Nintendo to block. I know people reference how you can still use DS flash carts on the 3DS, but that is more because the 3DS is emulating a DS when it runs those, so it is harder to fix security flaws.

As it is, it doesn't break the region lock. It doesn't allow multiple games per flash cart. It doesn't allow homebrew. So even the people who go on about legitimate use for flash carts would have no legitimate use for this.

Also why do people complain about eShop prices for digital games? I don't know about the American or European eShops, but the Japanese one has sales time to time, and reduces prices permanently on some titles.

Tarps

Terrible news, sounds like this has the potential to really hurt software sales for the 3DS and so early in the lifecycle too. I really hope that Nintendo can kill this, but I suspect it won't be easy.

I saw a lot of very young kids with ds flashcards, and it really struck a chord with me. If tech unsavvy parents can sponsor piracy and load R4's full of ROMs then. I guess we do deserve this bullshit DRM future.

And I'm sure if the Vita ever gets hacked your reformed friend will stay squeaky clean.

We talked about it and he says he don't mind playing as long as he considers that software worthwhile the price their asking for it. He also buys Android apps and even some games. And he buys on Steam.

We ordered together games on Zavvi and even bought PS3 games on offer. And he's incredibly happy with PS+. A satisfied costumer isn't going to try to steal you.

Piracy is not the problem. Piracy + no region locking + backwards DRM + premium software pricing is deadly.

Anteo

Pretty disappointing news.
But it shouldn't be hard for Nintendo to block. I know people reference how you can still use DS flash carts on the 3DS, but that is more because the 3DS is emulating a DS when it runs those, so it is harder to fix security flaws.

As it is, it doesn't break the region lock. It doesn't allow multiple games per flash cart. It doesn't allow homebrew. So even the people who go on about legitimate use for flash carts would have no legitimate use for this.

Also why do people complain about eShop prices for digital games? I don't know about the American or European eShops, but the Japanese one has sales time to time, and reduces prices permanently on some titles.

There are sales here and there, but people want to pay less for a digital game than a cart any day any time. Their logic is "a digital game is easier to distribute and costs less to the publisher, so it should cost less too me", I agree but I think Nintendo thinks this way "digital and carry it with you all the times, or a cart and resell it or lend it to friends" so that's why the MSRP in the eshop is the same as in retail

We talked about it and he says he don't mind playing as long as he considers that software worthwhile the price their asking for it. He also buys Android apps and even some games. And he buys on Steam.

We ordered together games on Zavvi and even bought PS3 games on offer. And he's incredibly happy with PS+. A satisfied costumer isn't going to try to steal you.

Piracy is not the problem. Piracy + no region locking + backwards DRM + premium software pricing is deadly.

It is a problem if there are gamers that can buy games but decide just to pirate them, I have like, 5 examples right now in my facebook feed. As I said, it varies from person to person. Some just don't want to pay for games, but they do it because is the only way for them to play, enable piracy and they are gone.

Piracy is definitely a problem on its own, whether you think it is or not.

I don't like it...piracy is just a cancer, if it's start spreading too much will be a lot easier for developers to discouraged to work to new project with a low probability to make success.

It is a problem if there are gamers that can buy games but decide just to pirate them, I have like, 5 examples right now in my facebook feed. As I said, it varies from person to person. Some just don't want to pay for games, but they do it because is the only way for them to play, enable piracy and they are gone.

If those people you mention won't buy games even if things like Steam or PS+ exists, then they won't buy games no matter what. That's not losing sales, you can't lose something you didn't gonna have anyway.

DonMigs85

It's probably impossible to get around region locking if the games are fully signed.
Perhaps one workaround is for the flashcart to present itself to the OS as a different game entirely like some older DS flashcarts did, but that would likely render Activity Log and Streetpass features useless.

$h@d0w

I actually think this is exactly what Nintendo needs right now.

With E3 coming, they desperately need any mindshare to stay relevant. This news is a shot in the arm for them in the games space, where previously they were in king in the DS era.

DonMigs85

If those people you mention won't buy games even if things like Steam or PS+ exists, then they won't buy games no matter what. That's not losing sales, you can't lose something you didn't gonna have anyway.

Then they should find other hobbies to kill time instead of pirating and playing games.
Maybe gardening or stamp collecting

Anteo

No, as I said, those buy games because they have no other options, (a lot of them where asking if they could pirate MH, ended buying the game), now that there is piracy, some of them will stop buying games altogether, others will only pay for special games (like zelda, but will pirate things like Castlevania) and others like me will continue paying for games.

Edit: Heck I remember when I said that I downloaded MH, like 2 of them asked me how and what R4 I was using >_>, thankfully someone else clarified that I just used the eshop. One of those guys got the game shortly after.

Top Bottom