• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker media taunts Anonymous; gets hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
D4Danger said:
:lol wtf some still work?

I'd just like to point out that I didn't know that and I don't condone this action.

The ftp info for the game companies isn't anything major. Those are press ftp logins that game companies give to the media so they can download screens and stuff. You don't have write access or anything. You can download shit and that's pretty much it.

Pretty sure the login for the Square FTP has been the same shit listed on that page for like, literally years. They'll probably get changed now though, 'cause occasionally some companies upload embargoed material for minor announcements.

nyong

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure you're able to successfully separate your personal judgment of what kind of people they are from your technical judgment of their ability.

I'll bite. How do they pull off DDoS attacks en masse? I don't know, but I would wager that most of them using a program written by someone else without understanding how and why it works. From what I've seen in the media, nothing they've done is impressive from a technical standpoint, which isn't to say that they haven't done serious damage.

Average Joe can be a "script kiddie" and break into wi-fi spots or participate in DDoS attacks without knowing a whole lot.

Lijik

shagg_187 said:
The chatlog... wow.

And this is where I will stop visiting any gawker-based website.
Oh my god 3chan :lol
And they kept saying it too. They must've thought it was some clever shit :lol :lol

shagg_187 said:
TO73t.png

Peasants indeed.

Who are these dipshits? Gawker owners?

Dude Abides

Banned
Oh no not my Gawker password! People will be able to see that I liked that post about that great new wine bar/alternative art space/pottery shop in Park Slope!

Alucrid

Banned
nyong said:
Script kids is exactly what they are, though. A bunch of angsty anti-social wannabe hacker teens.

I wonder what they would be doing with their time if 4chan didn't exists...

itxaka

Defeatist
omg those passwords :lol :lol

Some of there were asking to be hacked.

Hey I am itxaka and my password is itxaka1, isn't that clever?? Amirite?

Edit: Holy fuck at that list of people using "password" as password :lol :lol :lol

Salazar said:
EviLore has probably called us much worse :lol

There's a difference between calling your members peasants and saying "lol it's just the peasants" after thousands of passwords have been leaked. Oh well, some of gawker's sites were already in my shitlist, that'll help the transition of every gawker site being in my shitlist.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
fortified_concept said:
There's a difference between calling your members peasants and saying "lol it's just the peasants" after thousands of passwords have been leaked. Oh well, some of gawker's sites were already in my shitlist, that'll help the transition of every gawker site being in my shitlist.

Lifehacker's pretty much the only Gawker blog I can stomach.

Amir0x

Banned
Salazar said:
EviLore has probably called us much worse :lol

:/

Most of us are pretty proud of the GAF community, retarded little issues here and there aside. I won't specifically speak for Evilore, but I'm sure he feels the same.

I emailed them and requested my account to be deleted since they don't have a "delete account" section in their website. Fuck Gawker and all their affiliated websites for being too fucking cocky.

EDIT: Should this be posted on gaming side for anyone with Kotaku account?

jediyoshi

Dude Abides said:
Oh no not my Gawker password! People will be able to see that I liked that post about that great new wine bar/alternative art space/pottery shop in Park Slope!

Accounts are cross network, so anyone with a Kotaku/Gizmodo account is susceptible. Also, screw Gizmodo.

Salazar

Amir0x said:

Most of us are pretty proud of the GAF community, retarded little issues here and there aside. I won't specifically speak for Evilore, but I'm sure he feels the same.

:lol

I was being facetious. GAF is essentially good-spirited. Gawker runs largely on snark.

hsin

Banned
Amir0x said:

GAF is by and large one of the best communities I've ever seen. Moderation and quality of members have been mostly outstanding.

shagg_187 said:
I emailed them and requested my account to be deleted since they don't have a "delete account" section in their website. Fuck Gawker and all their affiliated websites for being too fucking cocky.

EDIT: Should this be posted on gaming side for anyone with Kotaku account?

Where did you get the original screenshot?

itxaka

Defeatist
Amir0x said:

I like Heavy Rain and Kinect, so you probably called me an idiot a couple of times :p

Uh oh. Just realized that they just didn't leaked account with passwords named "password"; they are just mentioned in the website. There is a torrent which has shit load of accounts. Luckily, mine isn't there but yours might be if you have one. Created thread in gaming side for others to do so.

They even have an image for site redesign.

5pbCp.jpg

Repeat: 1.3 million accounts leaked! Change your password!

antonz

They are doing it because they tried to fuck with the guy who brought down Wikileaks and found out he wasnt just some 5 year old with a DDOS application. All powerful Anon found out they were outclassed

Well darnit, I have an account there using my master password. :/

Changed the passwords of my e-mail, Facebook, Steam and GameFAQs. Can't remember other sites I need to go to.

Yackie

So wait, it wasn't 4chan or was it? Who's this other group? And why did they do this? What's the whole story here?

Again, if you guys consider "1q2w3e" or "inkboy99" a secure password then most likely your account is out there since this is an actual password from the leaked list, not just "password" or "qwerty" or "12345678".

numble

Did they really release everyone's password? It looks like they're releasing only the Gawker guys, and commenters with the password "password" or "qwerty."

I may be looking at the wrong site though.

Just want to see if I had a compromised Gawker account--I might've commented on Gizmodo or Kotaku 5 years ago or something.

big ander

hsin said:
GAF is by and large one of the best communities I've ever seen. Moderation and quality of members have been mostly outstanding.
Quality of members is actually great. Most of the people I find on GAF are cool.
Mods...

I'm still laughing at this:
zoPW6.png

so many stupid stupid people :lol

numble said:
Did they really release everyone's password? It looks like they're releasing only the Gawker guys, and commenters with the password "password" or "qwerty."

Just want to see if I had a compromised Gawker account--I might've commented on Gizmodo or Kotaku 5 years ago or something.
Will repeat one last time: there are torrents out there with passwords.

Three folders:
"Dumb_passwords.txt" which are, as the file says, dumb passwords (same as one listed on website above). 133kb filesize
"Parsed_db" which is a small portion/sample of the database (64,000+ accounts). 8850kb filesize
"Full_db" which is the entire database with shitloads of passwords (1.3 million accounts). A whooping 73,468kb of filesize (which is A LOT for simple text)!

Good luck!

Catshade

Gawker uses a really outdated hashing algorithm known as DES (Data Encryption Standard). Because DES has a maximum of 8chars using a password like "abcdefgh1234" only the first 8 characters "abcdefgh" are encrypted and stored in the database. If your password is longer than 8 characters you only need to enter the first 8 characters to log in!

I'm not computer-savvy...but, really?!

nyong said:
Script kids is exactly what they are, though. A bunch of angsty anti-social wannabe hacker teens.
That's not a what a script kid is, though. A "script kid" is an euphemism used to refer to wannabe hackers who have no skill of their own and just use tools prepared by other people. What was done here is orders of magnitude more sophisticated.

itxaka said:
omg those passwords :lol :lol

Some of there were asking to be hacked.

Hey I am itxaka and my password is itxaka1, isn't that clever?? Amirite?

Edit: Holy fuck at that list of people using "password" as password :lol :lol :lol
Dude you probably never worked in IT. This is a huuuuuuuge problem. I don't even know where to start from.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
numble said:

what shagg_187 said

shagg_187 said:
Will repeat one last time: there are torrents out there with passwords.

Three folders:
"Dumb_passwords.txt" which are, as the file says, dumb passwords (same as one listed on website above). 133kb filesize
"Parsed_db" which is a small portion/sample of the database (64,000+ accounts). 8850kb filesize
"Full_db" which is the entire database with shitloads of passwords (1.3 million accounts). A whooping 73,468kb of filesize (which is A LOT for simple text)!

Good luck!

the torrent looks like it's just a dump of their entire database.

I didn't link it for obvious reasons but you can probably guess which site it's on if you want to check

Metalmurphy said:
My mail is in the full database, but the password seems to be encrypted. Can people actually decrypt this?

Same. All of the PWs there seem to be encrypted. Maybe the Gawker guys were being honest when they said only the simple passwords were vulnerable. No idea.

edit: Weird, my search just finished, and my email isn't in there even though I'm sure I have an account since I tested it out earlier when they announced the hack. Thankfully I was reg'ed there with my throwaway info.

A lot of hassle for the one comment I've probably ever made on a Gawker site.

eh, i should be ok. last time I commented was about 3 years ago, when i read Kotaku. :p

If i remember correctly, they liked to purge accounts at one time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom