• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gawker media taunts Anonymous; gets hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

If you don't actually use your Gawker account, you can just get rid of your email from there and change your username and password to complete random bullshit.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Wolf Akela said:
Well darnit, I have an account there using my master password. :/

Changed the passwords of my e-mail, Facebook, Steam and GameFAQs. Can't remember other sites I need to go to.

You can use this site to see where else you may have used the same username. Ended up changing the password of the gmail account that was associated with my io9.com login. Don't really think it's worth doing it on Gawker. I imagine that they're going to be throwing out whatever commenter database they have.

shagg_187 said:
Sarah Palin is motherfucking Sarah Palin! :p

Of course, they can take moot to testify but Gnosis are taking responsibility for the hack, not 4chan.

You need to understand 4chan never takes resposibility for anything, thats the true nature of /b/. Anonymous also should never take responsibility for anything, it's implicilty understood that anons are responsible regardless who decides to take credit. This stuff starts on their boards and their chat rooms, but going after 4chan would be like going after a city park because gangs hang out there. It's probably in the best interest of law enforcement to allow 4chan to continue to exist so they can keep their finger on the pulse of this sort of thing.

numble

cuevas said:
It says gizmodo is 388...
Zilch said:
Gawker is basically Gawker and its affiliates. Do people here honestly not know that Gawker.com is one of the biggest, most visited sites on the goddamn internet?

To everybody else, how many people know about QQ, NetEase (网易), Taobao, or Sina, which are more visited than things like Paypal, Craigslist or ESPN (and definitely more visited than Gawker.com)?

To rage about people not knowing about a US-focused gossip site is something really silly to work up a fuss about.

Hylian7 said:
If you don't actually use your Gawker account, you can just get rid of your email from there and change your username and password to complete random bullshit.
Yeah but the data dump they took was from before it got changed.

Hylian7

polyh3dron said:
Yeah but the data dump they took was from before it got changed.
I know, but since they don't let you delete your account and you want to take preventive measures in case this happens again, that's a good way to do so.

numble said:
To everybody else, how many people know about QQ, NetEase (网易), Taobao, or Sina, which are more visited than things like Paypal, Craigslist or ESPN (and definitely more visited than Gawker.com)?

To rage about people not knowing about a US-focused gossip site is something really silly to work up a fuss about.

It says GAWKER on every page and each site links to the other sites but okay...

Sew

cuevas said:
It says GAWKER on every page and each site links to the other sites but okay...
I'm well familiar with giz, kotaku, lifehacker etc, but the only reason I know the name "gawker" is that I've seen so many people hotlink their images on forums (cache.gawkerassets or whatever).

Not everyone notices the same stuff ;-)

Meier

Well, I checked all my primary email addresses and it doesn't look like I have a gawker account. Didn't think so.. but thank god.

Another big site of theirs is Jezebel btw.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
itxaka said:
omg those passwords :lol :lol

Some of there were asking to be hacked.

Hey I am itxaka and my password is itxaka1, isn't that clever?? Amirite?

Edit: Holy fuck at that list of people using "password" as password :lol :lol :lol

Well, I used dumb password for sites that I don't give a dam about. Is that a security risk for my main sites? Like 'I feel like replying to this guy, I'm gonna make an account with an account name/password MarcusFenixisgod and never use the account again'.

itxaka

Defeatist
Lonely1 said:
Well, I used dumb password for sites that I don't give a dam about. Is that a security risk for my main sites? Like 'I feel like replying to this guy, I'm gonna make an account with an account name/password MarcusFenixisgod and never use the account again'.

Of course not. I use dumb password + exclusive spam email for sites that normally requires an account to see something or download a mod for example.

The problem is that probably a good percentage of this people used the same for their other accounts. I mean, have you seen the accounts of the gawker people?

nib95

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Follow these steps:

1. http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/
2. Enter your email address under "Input", and click on "MD5". Copy the "Result".
3. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=350662
4. Click on "Show Options" and change the filter to "MD5". Paste the copied "Result" and see if it shows up on search. If it does then your password has been compromised and sooner or later will be hacked if they feel like it.

Thank god mine hasn't. Tbh, I'm not even sure I have a Gawker account, may have created one years ago not sure.

In any case, taking down the site etc is one thing, releasing personal info on users is a bit much. I don't usually disagree with the actions of 4Chan hacks, their Scientology campaign, protecting Assange etc (Didn't know anything about this 11 year old thing). But this particular Gawker attack may have over stepped the mark a tad, though in fairness, at least people have the opportunity to change passwords etc.

Some of those passwords are quite literally awful.

Salazar

Kurtofan said:
Never heard of it.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/10/18/101018fa_fact_mcgrath

Good profile in the New Yorker.

“So that ‘4Chan’s Sad War to Silence Gawker’ was rather unwise,” Denton said, not unhappily, referring to the seventh-ranked post on the board, which was itself a follow-up to the second (“How the Internet Beat Up an 11-Year-Old Girl”) and the fifth (“11-Year-Old Viral Video Star Placed Under Police Protection After Death Threats”). Gawker, Denton’s flagship title, had described 4Chan.org, an anarchic Web forum frequented by teen-agers, as “the Internet’s scariest hive mind,” and detailed its role in terrorizing and exposing the name and address of a young girl who made a YouTube video. 4Chan’s partisans had retaliated, at first unsuccessfully and then, after Gawker taunted them, with sufficient force to bring Denton’s gang offline.

You might say that it marked a peculiar moment in the evolution of Gawker, which was once described to Denton at a dinner party as the place where losers talk about winners—a venue for punching upward, with hive-mind tendencies of its own. Now the site that had once been the class cutup (“Lady Gaga’s Vagina Almost Fooled Us Into Forgetting About Her Penis”) was acting the part of digital hall monitor.

Denton acknowledged “the irony of us lecturing,” as he put it, and asked, “Is there Gawker ethics? I mean, I guess there’s Gawker ethics. It’s a dangerous thing to talk about.”
“Picking on 4Chan was genius,” Foster Kamer, a former Gawker writer who now works for the Village Voice, told me. “But you’re scooping the muck from the sewer and holding it up in your hand and saying, ‘Look at this. Smell this.’ ”

I love this part of their FAQ:

5) How can I delete my account?
We understand how important trust is on the web, and some of you may wish to delete your Gawker Media account. Currently account deletion is not available. We will, however, give you this option as soon as possible.

Yup, yup, after all databases fetch nice cash with advertisers.

Anyway, changed my password to "f***youkotaku".

Axion22

shagg_187 said:
Follow these steps:

1. http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5/
2. Enter your email address under "Input", and click on "MD5". Copy the "Result".
3. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=350662
4. Click on "Show Options" and change the filter to "MD5". Paste the copied "Result" and see if it shows up on search. If it does then your password has been compromised and sooner or later will be hacked if they feel like it.

Great, I'm listed...

I've got different passwords everywhere, tho.

Am I alone in thinking that the Lifehacker guys never seemed like they belonged with the rest of the Gawker? Somehow they didn't come across as douchebags to me.

But then Gina Trapani left, and even before then they were crazy about getting hits.

jercruz

great i can see mine, but thankfully i use different passwords for each site.

sad, that you can't delete your account though.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So I found my account in the full database with encrypted pass. I just can't decrypt it or even remember what I possibly used, all the things it could be failed and I have no password change email. Feh.

giga

Suitcase Test said:
Am I alone in thinking that the Lifehacker guys never seemed like they belonged with the rest of the Gawker? Somehow they didn't come across as douchebags to me.

But then Gina Trapani left, and even before then they were crazy about getting hits.
No you’re not alone and I credit it to their excellent leadership. Trapani was great and Adam Pash continues to be class.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
this sucks. i had an account, posted once because io9 wrote a post about a shortfilm I made and I commented. This was two years ago. I had to spend the whole night changing all my passwords on various sites. I can't even remember all of them, and there's a lot of work to do still. to make it worse, the gawker guy seems like a major league douche. and add to that the insult to injury of not being able to delete my account.

IrishNinja said:
Oh, it'll get bad soon.

Or did it already?
jokerherewego.gif

itxaka

Defeatist
Thnikkaman said:
So I found my account in the full database with encrypted pass. I just can't decrypt it or even remember what I possibly used, all the things it could be failed and I have no password change email. Feh.

You can always use mdcrack to crack the password (if you are lucky)

erlim said:
this sucks. i had an account, posted once because io9 wrote a post about a shortfilm I made and I commented. This was two years ago. I had to spend the whole night changing all my passwords on various sites.
Did you change them to different passwords this time? Because if you used the same one on all of those sites, they were due for a change anyway. Looking at it like that, this may have been a (small) blessing in disguise. :)

Suitcase Test said:
Did you change them to different passwords this time? Because if you used the same one on all of those sites, they were due for a change anyway. Looking at it like that, this may have been a (small) blessing in disguise. :)
My e-mail wasn't on there but I've used that same username/pw combo for a lot of websites. Been changing them for the last 2 hours and I've still got a long way to go... I'm amazed at how much crap I've signed up for over the years. This prompted me to change all my important passwords again though and now I've got a bunch of random passwords for all the sites I use. Better make sure I don't lose the paper I've wrote them down on or I'm screwed :lol

numble

Shalashaska said:
My e-mail wasn't on there but I've used that same username/pw combo for a lot of websites. Been changing them for the last 2 hours and I've still got a long way to go... I'm amazed at how much crap I've signed up for over the years. This prompted me to change all my important passwords again though and now I've got a bunch of random passwords for all the sites I use. Better make sure I don't lose the paper I've wrote them down on or I'm screwed :lol
1Password
http://agilewebsolutions.com/onepassword

Shalashaska said:

Whatever, I went only through my e-mails, banks, eBay, etc. Don't care someone getting my forums account (except NeoGAF, this one got changed).

numble said:

Does that allows you to create a password list, which is by itself protected by a password?

Castor Krieg said:
Whatever, I went only through my e-mails, banks, eBay, etc. Don't care someone getting my forums account (except NeoGAF, this one got changed).
I'm basically just covering whatever I can find googling the username that I had on Kotaku. There's 1,300,000 accounts and mine didn't have an e-mail, anything happening is probably unlikely and yeah like you, I've changed everything important. Which frankly, I should probably be doing on a regular basis and probably will actually.

Fjolle

Urgh. I've spent the morning trying to remember which sites i've used my dumb password on, and which ones I actually use..

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hrmmm. This is making me paranoid. I hate that the only way to know is by checking the documents yourself :( I might have had an old account on there, but I don't know if the password was a "reset" one I never fixed or not :S

verbum

Zozz said:
They were being called out on. It would have been bitches if they didn't do anything. If someone calls you out on something, you gotta hit them back in some way otherwise you're gonna look like a bitch.
This kind of attitude is so 12 year old. What has Anon proved?
I was feeling kind of good about them for maybe supporting Wikileaks (not sure if they really were supporting WL) but this attack is so childish. Life Hackers was a decent site. I never signed up for an account but I enjoyed reading some of the articles.

spidye

I have a question. my mail adress got leaked but my password is not the same that I use here. in fact it's not even the same password I use for the email adress. I use that password on other things though. am I really screwed?

ShinNL

spidye said:
I have a question. my mail adress got leaked but my password is not the same that I use here. in fact it's not even the same password I use for the email adress. I use that password on other things though. am I really screwed?
Unless you want any regular Joe to hack you on whatever sites you visit: yes you're screwed if you don't change your password on every single site you visit. I recommend using several "levels" of security passwords. Sites you almost never visit and has no important information should have simpler passwords and more important networks (like social sites) have better passwords. E-mail should always be the strongest of them all. The best way is making an unique password for all sites though (using variations of the level of security).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thnikkaman said:

What's important isn't your Kotaku username / password, it's that a) you don't use the same username / password elsewhere and that b) you change your passwords elsewhere anyway.

nyong said:
I'll bite. How do they pull off DDoS attacks en masse? I don't know, but I would wager that most of them using a program written by someone else without understanding how and why it works. From what I've seen in the media, nothing they've done is impressive from a technical standpoint, which isn't to say that they haven't done serious damage.

Average Joe can be a "script kiddie" and break into wi-fi spots or participate in DDoS attacks without knowing a whole lot.

Sorry, are we in a DDoS thread?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems I'm safe.

My gmail-registered account has the password I use for sites I don't give two shits about, and my ISP-registered account password hasn't been leaked, plus there's no way in hell I'd use the same password for Gawker that I'd tie to shit like eBay, Amazon, etc. I actually keep a list of the important sites my e-mails are tied to (includes GAF) and make sure to update these passwords every so often, always making them rather strong.

I really don't give a shit if they use either account on Gawker. Haven't visited even one of their blogs in years.

RJT

I love Lifehacker, but I'm pretty sure I never opened an account there. My password for websites that don't have private information about me is pretty terrible, though (including GAF's).

I'm changing it though. You only have one GAF life, don't want to get banned over account hijacking. What would I do without GAF?

spidye

Soneet said:
Unless you want any regular Joe to hack you on whatever sites you visit: yes you're screwed if you don't change your password on every single site you visit. I recommend using several "levels" of security passwords. Sites you almost never visit and has no important information should have simpler passwords and more important networks (like social sites) have better passwords. E-mail should always be the strongest of them all. The best way is making an unique password for all sites though (using variations of the level of security).
thanks for the quick response.
off to work, it seems :(

Borman

Im in the database, but dont seem to have my password leaked. Hoping that it stays that way, but based on the fact that I used password reset to access that account last, Im thinking I should be good as it should be something random. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom