• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Rich!

Just so people know, there's a hack for SMA2 that restores the original colours:

i8xZgWhcHPRJS.png

i1Im9tDepBKnW.png

iVNMw5ox323zc.png

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/470/

Obviously it's of no help regarding the Wii U version, but for anyone with a flashcart, it's brilliant on real hardware. Just a pity that Nintendo couldn't have included the option with the original release - Capcom had the foresight to do so with LTTP and Minish Cap.

I'm really curious why anyone would buy the GBA version of Super Mario World anyway when the original is available at the same price.

What, I think you mean Megabit. Not Megabyte.

Link to the Past for example was 1 MB.

Nintendo does that and next week's thread is: "Fuck Nintendo, shit doesn't work. Why isn't the 3DS OS active, when I play GBA games? It doesn't pause the game, doesn't do anything. It's almost as if the hardware was clocked down and none of the 3DS features are active. It's crap. I want my money back. Nintendo is so backwards. Nintendo: Please understand. They totally half-assed it just like the ambassador titles, but now they want money for it. Nintendo sucks etc. pp"

nintendo has pr people that are paid for things like that, just let me play wario land 4, circle of the moon , the knight of lodis and golden sun on my 3ds, advance wars and drill dozer too please

Just so people know, there's a hack for SMA2 that restores the original colours:

i8xZgWhcHPRJS.png

i1Im9tDepBKnW.png

iVNMw5ox323zc.png

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/470/

Obviously it's of no help regarding the Wii U version, but for anyone with a flashcart, it's brilliant on real hardware. Just a pity that Nintendo couldn't have included the option with the original release - Capcom had the foresight to do so with LTTP and Minish Cap.

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Never heard of this before.

I am really looking forward to Metroid, my main concern with these titles is still how dark they are. I hope it's not as bad as their screenshots. At least give us a choice to adjust it in game.

Pociask

Nintendo does that and next week's thread is: "Fuck Nintendo, shit doesn't work. Why isn't the 3DS OS active, when I play GBA games? It doesn't pause the game, doesn't do anything. It's almost as if the hardware was clocked down and none of the 3DS features are active. It's crap. I want my money back. Nintendo is so backwards. Nintendo: Please understand. They totally half-assed it just like the ambassador titles, but now they want money for it. Nintendo sucks etc. pp"

And yet the DS played GBA games by turning into a GBA, and not a single fuck was given that snapping the lid shut didn't pause the game.

Terrell

And yet the DS played GBA games by turning into a GBA, and not a single fuck was given that snapping the lid shut didn't pause the game.
Revisionist history is funny that way.

Even just going back to the Ambassador program, a fair amount of people were quite choked about this.

Now charge money for it.

Does anyone actually care if GBA 3DS releases just function in GBA mode? Meaning all the 3ds features get blocked out? I mean seriously, I think people just want to be able to play these games on the go..you know...how they were originally intended.

terrisus

YES !

You literally have to sell a kindey here in europe to afford one of the Fire Emblem games.

Seriously?
Even considering the GBA is not region-locked and you could import them?

Granted I know it costs more to import things, but I would still think it wouldn't take a kidney.
Maybe just toss out your appendix for it or something.

JoeM86

Does anyone actually care if GBA 3DS releases just function in GBA mode? Meaning all the 3ds features get blocked out? I mean seriously, I think people just want to be able to play these games on the go..you know...how they were originally intended.

And, when they close the 3DS quickly, they'll come back to find their battery has drained because it doesn't activate sleep mode.

Richie

I'm really curious why anyone would buy the GBA version of Super Mario World anyway when the original is available at the same price.

The difference in controls when using Luigi and the inclusion of a Mario Bros. remake (that looks and controls miles ahead of the NES entry, which on its own costs 5 bucks on the eShop) could push someone over the edge.

Tripon

The difference in controls when using Luigi and the inclusion of a Mario Bros. remake (that looks and controls miles ahead of the NES entry, which on its own costs 5 bucks on the eShop) could push someone over the edge.

He said Super Mario World, not Super Mario Bros 1.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Not the same thing, it cost us nothing other than the price of the GBA when we brought it and the DS system.

This is a digital game that Nintendo priced at £6, you would expect more features added to justify the value.

He said Super Mario World, not Super Mario Bros 1.

All those things are in Super Mario World.

I don't play any of my Ambassador GBA games because they don't go in to sleep mode.

Dorygrant

And, when they close the 3DS quickly, they'll come back to find their battery has drained because it doesn't activate sleep mode.

To be fair the GBA had a godly battery life :p

So does that mean with ambassador games you have to turn off the system to go back to the 3ds? Or is it like when your running a DS game and it just asks to go back to the home menu?

Seriously?
Even considering the GBA is not region-locked and you could import them?

Granted I know it costs more to import things, but I would still think it wouldn't take a kidney.
Maybe just toss out your appendix for it or something.

Sell a kidney is (of course) hyperbole....but taking a glance at amazon.de:

both are around 80€ if you want the manuals too.

...I´m not that big of an importer :/

Ridley327

To be fair the GBA had a godly battery life :p

So does that mean with ambassador games you have to turn off the system to go back to the 3ds? Or is it like when your running a DS game and it just asks to go back to the home menu?
If you press the home button, you get the option to return back to the 3DS home screen, but it doesn't pause the game at all, and it just resets the whole system.

It's a might ghetto.

After reading a list of the changes, I don't see why anyone would buy the SNES version. Most of the changes are pretty negligible, but none of them seem bad to me outside of some music compression. Of note is the ability to play as Luigi with some gameplay changes and not being kicked all the way back to little Mario if you get hit as Cape/Fire Mario.

I don't play any of my Ambassador GBA games because they don't go in to sleep mode.

Why though? Original GBA didn't have sleep mode, so I don't really get why this is a problem. The fact that I'm getting to play GBA games on a bigger better screen with more comfortable controls is enough for me.

RiggyRob

After reading a list of the changes, I don't see why anyone would buy the SNES version. Most of the changes are pretty negligible, but none of them seem bad to me outside of some music compression. Of note is the ability to play as Luigi with some gameplay changes and not being kicked all the way back to little Mario if you get hit as Cape/Fire Mario.

It might just be me, but when I replayed Super Mario World on my Gameboy Micro, the colours seemed to be washed out/pale, and obviously the music was terrible compared to the SNES original.

It's the age-long debate, gameplay vs graphics!

Not really, those changes seem pretty significant and add more to the gameplay experience a la Wind Waker HD.

Mr-Joker

Banned

I don't play mine as I don't like some of the games and the rest I have already own. Plus Mario Kart: Super Circuit and F-Zero: Maximum Velocity are unplayable on the 3DS.

Why though? Original GBA didn't have sleep mode, so I don't really get why this is a problem. The fact that I'm getting to play GBA games on a bigger better screen with more comfortable controls is enough for me.

Because the 3DS has a shorter battery life than the GBA, so sleep mode is needed.

If I wanted to play games on my original GBA, I'd get out my original GBA. I'm not 13 anymore, so more than likely I am just going to close my system and play when I get a chance.

It's important to me, it doesn't have to be important to you.

Pociask

If I wanted to play games on my original GBA, I'd get out my original GBA. I'm not 13 anymore, so more than likely I am just going to close my system and play when I get a chance.

It's important to me, it doesn't have to be important to you.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the system still went into sleep mode. It's a great, great, great feature. But let's assume you don't have a GBA, or those GBA games. The choice is between having those games purchasable on the 3DS (in GBA mode, no features), or not purchasable on the 3DS. I choose life! I mean, uh, GBA mode.

Don't get me wrong, I wish the system still went into sleep mode. It's a great, great, great feature. But let's assume you don't have a GBA, or those GBA games. The choice is between having those games purchasable on the 3DS (in GBA mode, no features), or not purchasable on the 3DS. I choose life! I mean, uh, GBA mode.

yup.

jimi_dini

So you are comparing backward compatibility with the ability to purchase those games digitally on a new handheld/console. Anyway I bet plenty of people complained about the DS GBA backward compatibility as well.

Wii U backward compatibility doesn't let you play using the gamepad as controller. That's a shame, but understandable. Now imagine Nintendo offering Wii titles for digital purchase on Wii U and those games would still not offer the ability to use the gamepad as controller. That's simply not the same situation at all.

Nintendo could offer proper GBA VC support. But they would have needed to design the 3DS hardware accordingly, then it would have been more expensive but possible (add an additional ARM CPU, so that it could run GBA games separately, etc.). I bet the ambassador program was the end-result of Nintendo trying to make it work properly. It just was not good enough to ask money for it and I prefer a company that understands that and doesn't do it. A different company would have released it anyway just because they put work (money) into it.

The choice is between having those games purchasable on the 3DS (in GBA mode, no features), or not purchasable on the 3DS. I choose life! I mean, uh, GBA mode.

I would simply use my DS lite and buy those GBA games. In fact I actually did that.

jimi_dini

Nintendo can fuck right off with those prices. They're more expensive than most SNES games.

Hmm, I just took a look at amazon&ebay prices. Compared to that, it doesn't seem expensive. Nintendo would be mental to give them away for 2 or 3 pounds, when the market already decided that they are worth way more.

Advance Wars - 16pounds used, 100pounds new @ amazon-uk, 27pounds used @ ebay
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 9pounds used, 115pounds new @ amazon-uk, 15pounds used @ ebay
Metroid Fusion - 13.50pounds used, 35pounds new @ amazon-uk, 20pounds used @ ebay
Kirby + The Amazing Mirror - 15pounds used, 75pounds new @ amazon-uk, 23pounds used @ ebay
WarioWare Inc - 10pounds used, 66pounds new @ amazon-uk, 15pounds used @ ebay

And on all of those, you risk getting a fake copy. Especially when buying from ebay. You also get no instructions most of the time.

Glass Joe

I am really looking forward to Metroid, my main concern with these titles is still how dark they are. I hope it's not as bad as their screenshots. At least give us a choice to adjust it in game.

The jury's still out on that one. The press screens are ridiculously dark, but if you go to the eShop and look at those supplied screens on your Wii U, they look acceptable.

And on all of those, you risk getting a fake copy. Especially when buying from ebay. You also get no instructions most of the time.

I doubt someone who pops in this thread to tell Nintendo to fuck off is looking to have a rational discussion. SNES VC are $8, so GBA being $7-8 is not more expensive in that context either. I can find many NES carts for $1-2 if I shop around, but that doesn't make me shocked that NES VC's are $5 because I've had since 2006 to realize that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nintendo can fuck right off with those prices. They're more expensive than most SNES games.

GBA came later than SNES; it's also more powerful tech, and cart sizes are larger, etc. So it'd make sense to price it between SNES and N64.

Of course a lot of handheld games in general are smaller in scope than console games - you'll generally see more "simpler" games on handhelds.

Ideally there's more flexible pricing to reflect this - Polarium for example should be much cheaper than Golden Sun, and Golden Sun can easily warrant a higher price than most SNES titles.

Hiltz

So I read that Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow has been announced for Wii U's GBA virtual console, but its currently only for Australia so far.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hmm, I just took a look at amazon&ebay prices. Compared to that, it doesn't seem expensive. Nintendo would be mental to give them away for 2 or 3 pounds, when the market already decided that they are worth way more.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 9pounds used, 115pounds new @ amazon-uk, 15pounds used @ ebay
Metroid Fusion - 13.50pounds used, 35pounds new @ amazon-uk, 20pounds used @ ebay
Kirby + The Amazing Mirror - 15pounds used, 75pounds new @ amazon-uk, 23pounds used @ ebay

This pretty much none of the GBA games I have brought from ebay have ever costed £6 or less.

None of the Virtual console games are expensive.

steveovig

For me:

GBA = £3.99.
SNES = £2.99
Game Boy Color = £1.99
Game Boy = £1.49

Games like Mario World, Zelda, etc. sell like crazy, so why should they sell them dirt cheap? Some games should be cheaper (Balloon Fight and the shitty one-screen games, Vegas Stakes, etc.) but right now Nintendo's prices work for them because people keep buying them.

Given the amount of times I've been mocked for buying handheld games in the post-flashcarts and piracy era, I'm pretty sure that a large portion of the price comparison being done isn't versus ebay prices of actual carts, but versus the inconvenience of hunting down roms.

Of course, there's also things like steam that have made peoples' dd price expectations plummet

Terrell

Then GOOD NEWS, GBA games are being released on a platform with a bigger better screen with more comfortable controls!

But in all seriousness, what the original GBA did and didn't offer is irrelevant. You didn't buy a GBA when you bought your 3DS, you bought a 3DS for the features it offered. To revoke said features in the pursuit of VC may be alright for you, but for a lot of people, this is an issue. Especially if they're being asked to part with their money as part of the deal.

This is one of the more reasonable posts made on the subject. So thank you.

Aside from the point made above, there's also the distinct possibility that GBA-mode VC titles were market tested either before, during or after the Ambassador program and the data showed most people either didn't like the trade-off or wouldn't pay money for it, so opted to release them another way via the Wii U until their next handheld, which isn't likely THAT far away at this point.

Top Bottom