• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Then GOOD NEWS, GBA games are being released on a platform with a bigger better screen with more comfortable controls!

I get it, but I would prefer to have the option of playing on them go

But in all seriousness, what the original GBA did and didn't offer is irrelevant. You didn't buy a GBA when you bought your 3DS, you bought a 3DS for the features it offered. To revoke said features in the pursuit of VC may be alright for you, but for a lot of people, this is an issue. Especially if they're being asked to part with their money as part of the deal.

If they could have all the features great. but as others have said, if the option is not to have it at all or to have it with some missing features, i'll chose the first one. it's pretty surprising that it's NOT possible though without missing features. pretty poor planning ahead for their 3DS VC by Nintendo, if true.

Tripon

In an odd way, this is the ultimate evolution of the Game Boy Player.

GameCube-Game-Boy-Player.jpg

Terrell

Perhaps they didn't originally intend to offer anything other than GB and NES titles for their 3DS Virtual Console but found there might be a market for the content after jury-rigging titles in via the Ambassador program, but found people wouldn't buy them as they are in their jury-rigged form, tried to make it work, couldn't, and then decided "well, we did all this work trying to get them working proper on 3DS, why have it go to waste?" and decided to put them on Wii U instead.

We'll never know for sure. But if that is how it came about, I'd rather they existed on Wii U and future handhelds than not at all.

JoeM86

Not really sure if it was worth a thread and I didn't see much about it anywhere here. Apologies if old.

Yesterday, during the CVG stream, some features were shown of the GBA Virtual Console that very few seemed to actually notice.

Now, a friend of mine has done an article about it

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2014/04/02/smoothing-resolution-manuals-guide-gba-virtual-console/

The Virtual Console for this has settings for the Original Resolution and smoothing of the screen, plus the manual can be displayed while playing.

They did well with this, from the looks of it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Sounds nice. I'm glad there are at least some screen options and having the ability to display the manual on the GamePad while playing on the TV is pretty nice.

Robin64

metroid-prime-screen-smoothing-large.png

Woops. Wishful thinking?

Still, looks nice! Going to try and open the image on the Wii U's browser and fill it to the screen, to get the best idea. But looking very nice indeed.

JoeM86

Sounds nice. I'm glad there are at least some screen options and having the ability to display the manual on the GamePad while playing on the TV is pretty nice.

Agreed. A bit sad that there wasn't a toggle for the colour issues, but I'm happy with these. I can imagine how blocky GBA games look on the TV and so the smoothing could be very useful on the eyes.

Not really sure if it was worth a thread and I didn't see much about it anywhere here. Apologies if old.

Yesterday, during the CVG stream, some features were shown of the GBA Virtual Console that very few seemed to actually notice.

Now, a friend of mine has done an article about it

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2014/04/02/smoothing-resolution-manuals-guide-gba-virtual-console/

The Virtual Console for this has settings for the Original Resolution and smoothing of the screen, plus the manual can be displayed while playing.

They did well with this, from the looks of it.

Any chance they go back and incorporate these features into the very small amount of releases they've put out so far? That'd be awesome.

Any chance they go back and incorporate these features into the very small amount of releases they've put out so far? That'd be awesome.

This.

If they do this, and the releases are forward-compatible, I will buy Nintendo consoles forever. Double kudos if they roll these features into digital versions of retail titles.

JoeM86

This.

If they do this, and the releases are forward-compatible, I will buy Nintendo consoles forever. Double kudos if they roll these features into digital versions of retail titles.

Do have to wonder why they didn't for the other ones, and why they're introducing it here.

A leading theory is that they no longer have the files for the ones pre-GBA.

Do have to wonder why they didn't for the other ones, and why they're introducing it here.

A leading theory is that they no longer have the files for the ones pre-GBA.

Probably true, but I couldn't see why they wouldn't be able to recreate them. It's not like the contents don't exist. Still, I'd really love to see the quality of the old-school manuals reborn in digital / GamePad displayable form.

First of all, it's content. What it was designed on doesn't matter much. I mean, after all, if that were true, we'd never see handheld versions of console games EVER sell well. So the argument is silly on its premise.

I'd say that the complete 3rd-party absence from 3DS Virtual Console is a pretty strong sign of poor sales. After all, what is it I keep being told...? "3rd parties don't release games where they can't make money"? I'd say that applies here, most definitely. And I'd say it's less speculative than some of the statements made on this subject.
It does matter quite a bit. Portable games have smaller scope and are designed around portability. Levels are shorter, for example in the Mario games. Why would I want to play this on a console over a fully reAlized Mario? Because I can carry this around with me and play it whenever I want. People have used this argument all of the time against the PSP. But now suddenly it's a silly argument. Funny how that works. There's quick resets and stand by modes, there's crap like boktais sensor, there's shorter distances between save points, there's focus on pick up and play over waiting for cutscenes and voice acting etc. Portable games and console games are not the same. The only console ports that succeed on handhelds are the ones that are extremely popular already that people are able to tolerate and hinge on stuff like nostalgia.

So you have no proof. Okay, well that's good to know. Then what's stopping Nintendo again? Whats taking them so long to release their stuff on the Wii U since the VC is so successful there? Where's the plethora of buyers on the Wii U?

JoeM86

Probably true, but I couldn't see why they wouldn't be able to recreate them. It's not like the contents don't exist. Still, I'd really love to see the quality of the old-school manuals reborn in digital / GamePad displayable form.

I dunno. NES/SNES are tricky. N64 may be possible, and if we ever get GCN I expect that. It'd be hard to actually find the actual content and recreate it.

I dunno. NES/SNES are tricky. N64 may be possible, and if we ever get GCN I expect that. It'd be hard to actually find the actual content and recreate it.

They regularly demonstrate that the artwork is sufficiently archived by putting it on various merchandise. And since the artwork would be the challenging part.

They did it with the EarthBound NP guide, so I'd be shocked if they couldn't do it with the old manuals.

AdanVC

Kudos to Nintendo for incorporate the Normal/Smoothing options for display. I would definitely choose Normal display, I want it to be as crisp as possible. That was my main concern that the image display could look terribly blurry but it's not anymore. Now I'm hyped to play Metroid Fusion tomorrow! Plus, the manuals included on each game is a great addition as well.

Nintendo should just contact some weirdo collector and ask to borrow his manuals. He'd be happy to help out the company he's obsessed about, and try get original copies.

Or can you not scan those old manuals?

Am I the only one who finds it weird as hell that the Wii can run Yoshi's Island SNES version using emulators through the homebrew channel, yet they insist on releasing the GBA version for the Wii U VC?

JoeM86

Am I the only one who finds it weird as hell that the Wii can run Yoshi's Island SNES version using emulators through the homebrew channel, yet they insist on releasing the GBA version for the Wii U VC?

I heard that it was issues with emulating the Super FX. The unofficial stuff does it, but not necessarily successfully. With Nintendo's emulation, they do actually aim for accuracy (contrary to what people believe)

Jucksalbe

Banned

It might be more of a legal issue, because of the SFX chip.

It might be more of a legal issue, because of the SFX chip.

The thing that doesn't make sense about that is that Argonaut (the developers of the SFX chip) have been closed for around a decade now. I mean, who would sue Nintendo, if the company doesn't even exist anymore?

Dorygrant

If they don't have the manuals for the old games couldn't they just use a site that has hi-res scans of them? A quick google search shows tons of manuals nicely scanned.

This is awesome news about the brightness and smoothing for GBA games, most games would look way to blocky or bright.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The thing that doesn't make sense about that is that Argonaut (the developers of the SFX chip) have been closed for around a decade now. I mean, who would sue Nintendo, if the company doesn't even exist anymore?

It's just speculation, anyway. I'd guess someone else has those rights now, but I don't know.

Plus, doesn't the GBA version have more content?

That still doesn't make it the better version, though.

Recall

I hope for a few things here, a speedy release schedule with a couple games released every week or two and to cover a wide base of genres and titles. The odd trickle of the same games will be a bit underwhelming if that is how it turns out.

Exile20

Was this posted?

- GBA releases were artificially brightened due to the GBA's lack of a backlit screen
- Wii U GBA VC releases have been corrected for brightness
- screen-smoothing option available via menu or pushing in the right joystick
- games are upscaled to take up a 1620×1080 block on your TV
- option to play with Original Resolution is available
- this option upscales to the largest whole factor it can on the screen: 1440×960
- navigate the instruction booklet on the GamePad while the game continues on TV

I doubt it's a legal issue. Probably more of a technical issue. They need the game to run as close as possible to how the SNES game did if they're emulating the SNES version, but if that's more sensible with the GBA version, it's no wonder they'd go with that.

Was this posted?

- GBA releases were artificially brightened due to the GBA's lack of a backlit screen
- Wii U GBA VC releases have been corrected for brightness
- screen-smoothing option available via menu or pushing in the right joystick
- games are upscaled to take up a 1620×1080 block on your TV
- option to play with Original Resolution is available
- this option upscales to the largest whole factor it can on the screen: 1440×960
- navigate the instruction booklet on the GamePad while the game continues on TV

Sounds like it works pretty similarly (appearance wise at least) to the gameboy player, which is good news I'd say. I still have that for most of the GBA games I own, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few of the gems that I missed purchasing physical versions of on VC.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I doubt it's a legal issue. Probably more of a technical issue. They need the game to run as close as possible to how the SNES game did if they're emulating the SNES version, but if that's more sensible with the GBA version, it's no wonder they'd go with that.

My new theory is they used Stunt Race FX as a basis to test their SFX emulation and then thought the emulation wasn't working right since it was running so slow and scrapped the whole project.

Yeah, maybe. But it just seems batshit crazy to me that some homebrew guys can make the game run on the Wii, yet Nintendo "can't". Maybe the emulated version isn't perfect, but then again they're doing it for free. Whereas I would assume that a huge corporation like Nintendo would be capable of 100 % emulating the SFX chip. But then again, maybe it is actually that complex? What do I know..

My new theory is they used Stunt Race FX as a basis to test their SFX emulation and then thought the emulation wasn't working right since it was running so slow and scrapped the whole project.

Lol, that sounds crazy enough to be true. "If this game is running at 10fps, so will Yoshi's Island."

The GBA Virtual Console sounds pretty darn good right now. Games don't look as dark as previously feared, and they've actually added some new features that go beyond just ROM dumps.

JaseMath

I wonder (if Nintendo ever comes around to universal account) if we'll be able to play GBA games on our 3DS'...
LIKE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANYWAY

Top Bottom