• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Berordn

I had lockups in WarioWare, Mario vs. DK and Minish Cap right back when they came out. Could've been something that got ironed out in a system update, but it definitely soured my experience.

Has anyone confirmed button mapping yet? The lack of a B/A > Y/B toggle killed the 3DS Ambassador games for me. Seems minor I know, but the way I roll my thumb when I play makes a huge difference, especially with platformers where you hold a button to run.

Has anyone confirmed button mapping yet? The lack of a B/A > Y/B toggle killed the 3DS Ambassador games for me. Seems minor I know, but the way I roll my thumb when I play makes a huge difference, especially with platformers where you hold a button to run.

Button mapping is confirmed like the rest of Wii U Virtual Console

oatmeal

Banned
I really REALLY hope they don't release these and then forget about it for a few months.

I'll rage hard, yawl...

sörine

Banned
What's M2 known for?
Emulation wise all Sega's Virtual Console stuff and their 3DS Classics 3Dmakes. Also NeoGeo Station on PSN, Capcom Arcade Cabinet on PSN/XBLA, the later Sega Ages 2500 on PS2, the Konami shooter collections on PSP and a bunch of other stuff.

CLEEK

What's M2 known for?

Awesome, lovingly made, ports of old games.

For instance, they've done the incredible Sega 3D Classics on 3DS. If you read their blog posts about what they go through to make these 3D Classics ports, you can see how much effort and attentional to detail they put into them.

M2 and Bluepoint are the remake/port masters.

LostAnkh

I didn't have any lock-ups in the ambassador games, but the motion blurring is there and can be quite prominent in games like Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion, where moving distorts the whole screen, like it's running on an older LCD with a crappy refresh rate.
Huh, they must have rushed them out so that people wouldn't feel cheated with the 3DS price drop.

But on another note, how are the link cable features going to be handled for the Wii U?

sörine;106758143 said:
Emulation wise all Sega's Virtual Console stuff and their 3DS Classics 3Dmakes. Also NeoGeo Station on PSN, Capcom Arcade Cabinet on PSN/XBLA, the later Sega Ages 2500 on PS2, the Konami shooter collections on PSP and a bunch of other stuff.

So that might explain why we haven't seen Genesis on the Wii U yet

FLAguy954

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about GBA games (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like PSP games where you can become successful by releasing them on a home console. If you screw someone over in the 3DS gamer community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the 3DS gamer community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GBA games on Wii U, nor will they purchase any Wii U games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel GBA VC for Wii U and also Bayonetta 2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

post-11756-gif-HD-High-Quality-Imgur-Xcq0.gif

This actually makes perfect sense in regards to the 3DS and Wii U, bravo.

KHlover

Banned
£6.29. LOL, fuck off.
Wait, something gaming related is actually cheaper in in Germany for once? Yess.

Also, I don't see a problem with a price of 6,99 €. If I want to play Final Fantasy on my Galaxy SII I pay more than double that for even older games. Great deal for someone who never played any of these [GBA] games.

Glass Joe

Those original manuals have me more excited than I have a right to be. I'd of course love to see them implemented in NES/SNES games -- but it's probably a matter of them not properly saving their old computer documents until GBA times.

But what I've always wanted more than manuals were original HQ scans of the box arts. Front/back/spine. Like, a fully viewable 3D model. Those manuals are an insanely cool little touch but let's be honest, no one ever really read those anyway. And since the manual artwork is apparently okay, I doubt it would be some obscure rights issue.

Now the only question is do I want Advance Wars or Mario & Luigi? I'll eventually get Metroid Fusion but I recently played through that on my 3DS.

KHlover

Banned
But what I've always wanted more than manuals were original HQ scans of the box arts. Front/back/spine. Like, a fully viewable 3D model. Those manuals are an insanely cool little touch but let's be honest, no one ever really read those anyway. And since the manual artwork is apparently okay, I doubt it would be some obscure rights issue.
Speak for yourself. Reading manuals on the drive back home from the shopping center was the best thing ever as a kid.

Deepo

"Chugs very little" is something I find hard to take as a positive. Will wait and read some more impressions. Really want to buy SS again though.

I'm happy that M2 is behind this. I just wish Nintendo would flat out buy them and just put them on awesome Virtual Console 3D Classics duty.

I would love a "3D Classics Super Mario World" so very much....

But yeah, these are such temptation.

JoeM86

I'm happy that M2 is behind this. I just wish Nintendo would flat out buy them and just put them on awesome Virtual Console 3D Classics duty.

I would love a "3D Classics Super Mario World" so very much....

But yeah, these are such temptation.

Agreed. Nintendo needs to get the Virtual Console pushed out a lot and M2 would really aid in that. The Virtual Console, if done right, could be a huge marketing tool for Nintendo and the Wii U.

Remember the E3 applause when Iwata said the Revolution had full backwards compatibility. It's something people want, they just need to push it out. It'd also stop some idiots. Saw someone yesterday actually say Nintendo should put Virtual Console on all platforms, especially the Vita...if they were to push the boat out and make it a core part of the Wii U, we won't see things like that again.

Bleep

Why would they add scanlines to games that were designed for an LCD screen in the first place? In any case, you could always hook up your Wii U to a CRT TV if you really want scanlines.

If Nintendo let M2 run wild with their ports like Sega do I wouldn't have been surprised if a Game Boy Player mode with scanlines had been included.

The reality is probably more like this:

- Nintendo has heard complaints that they don't have a truly unified digital contents/account system on 3DS and Wii U.
- Since 3DS and Wii U use dramatically different architectures, implementing such a system across their current hardware offerings would be incredibly cost-inefficient.
- However, because their future devices will be built on the Wii U framework, Nintendo is unifying their key digital offerings on Wii U to make it easy/cost-effective to carry digital offerings over to the new architecture when it launches.

Unfortunately, the reality is also this:
- Tons of people complain that Nintendo hasn't implemented a truly unified digital contents/account system.
- These same tons of people want Nintendo to implement this unified digital contents/account system on devices that were not designed to support it (even if it means sunk development costs for 3DS, since none of that stuff will get carried over to future platforms by design).
I don't believe that different hardware architecture is to blame for the lack of a feature that is entirely software.
Most likely they would have to rewrite most of the OS in order to achieve true account unification, but it's not like the 3DS chipset stands in the way

Glass Joe

"Chugs very little" is something I find hard to take as a positive. Will wait and read some more impressions. Really want to buy SS again though.

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt that they're emulating the hardware to the point where they will actually MAKE things "chug" if they did so in the original release. People, even journalists, may not always realize this.

As an anecdote, I remember visiting the Mega Man X Miiverse and someone was claiming the game's slowdown was because the Wii U wasn't powerful enough to emulate it properly. I just had to shake my head since surely it was a comment written by a kid who never played it on the original hardware.

I admire Nintendo's devotion to demand a version of a game that plays as close to the original as possible. But I doubt many people actually appreciate it. And I certainly wouldn't mind toggable options to eliminate original hardware limitations like that, nor them going all out and offering modern convieniences such as leaderboards, trophies, and online play.

The reality is probably more like this:

- Nintendo has heard complaints that they don't have a truly unified digital contents/account system on 3DS and Wii U.
- Since 3DS and Wii U use dramatically different architectures, implementing such a system across their current hardware offerings would be incredibly cost-inefficient.

I accept it as true that a Virtual Console game coded for Wii U may not run efficiently (or at all) on the 3DS, or vice versa. But Nintendo's proven that they can recognize previously downloaded software with the Wii to Wii U discounts. Those Wii U versions of games are re-coded. They also now allow shared wallets. They can see what people already own. Surely they could have a free or $1 "upgrade" (transferrable) version of a particular game that is on both shops, even though it's not technically the same software. Just two versions of the same game coded to run on the device of the user's choice. Wanna play your 3DS Ninja Gaiden NES VC title on Wii U? Boom, allow that version to download, even if the saves for some reason aren't transferrable. Better than nothing right?

Ein Bear

It'd be cool if they included multiplayer features. You could set it up so that 'GBA1' is the TV + Classic Controller, whilst 'GBA2' is the GamePad.

Soo...how many hours until available in Europe?

The eShop normally updates at around 2pm-ish.

Robin64

Yeah, not a fan of the colours on Mario Advance 2. I know it can't really be helped, but given I already have the SNES one on my Wii U, I see very little reason to get this one.

Looks better without smoothing, too. Not a fan of that filter (or most emulator filters) at all.

zlCfzRudWnUH9bB_ce

Is there any word about GBA games in the American eShop?

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about GBA games (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like PSP games where you can become successful by releasing them on a home console. If you screw someone over in the 3DS gamer community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the 3DS gamer community, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GBA games on Wii U, nor will they purchase any Wii U games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel GBA VC for Wii U and also Bayonetta 2 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

You can't be serious...

RiggyRob

dat smoothing

zlCfzRuk1UEDA66Z_t

zlCfzRulRxI7y5OwOM

(Personally I'm not a fan, but nice to see an effort on that front)

Eesh, Mario Advance 2 looks like a bad iOS port in that pic. Kirby looks ok. I'd have to see it when I'm actually playing to know which option I'd choose though.

Robin64

I think Golden Sun looks a lot better, colour wise. Still a little dark, but when it's the only thing on the TV (rather than surrounded by a bright white website) it won't be too bad.

zlCfzRupDh8MKMatFa

TERRIBLE with smoothing on, mind.

zlCfzRunfQUTBmxTUr

Top Bottom