• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How exactly is this a valid excuse not to sell them? The ambassador games still look great and play perfectly.

They really don't. Terrible blurring, a dim picture, it's not an enjoyable experience to play them, at least to me. I would never pay for GBA titles that look like that and they seem to know most people wouldn't either.

Honestly I find it shocking that there are people who managed to play through those Ambassador titles, 30 seconds of Yoshi's Island was enough for me. The game shouldn't look like that, even these Wii U versions are still borderline for me. The contrast still doesn't look right.

I literally can´t wait for Golden Sun.

And I agree with everyone who said that Nintendo should let M2 do the Virtual Console stuff, their ports are of the highest quality and they stand head to head with Hexadrive as the best port studios in this industry.

...and they are lightning fast compared to whoever was responsible for WiiU´s VC before.

Robin64

Woo!

zlCfzRutr9YPVDVXbI

zlCfzRutqQYSVNXL5g

zlCfzRutoVoeq86B5W

terrisus

2 hours and 41 more minutes...
Waiting, bah.

I should play my GBA while I wait.
Or my GBA 3DS ambassador games

I'm way too excited about these games. I was all set to play Superstar Saga awhile back when I bought it on eBay...I was even gonna play it on my TV with my GameBoy Player...but I held out in the off-chance that it would be released on Wii U. My prayers have been answered!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Freaky as hell..

SA-X > Dark Samus/Metroid Prime

zlCfzRuuEdMWFh48cq
Indeed, SA-X is freakier than any other doppelgangers from the Metroid universe. Perhaps because the others were just 'monsters' trying to resemble you, whereas SA-X is a perfect mimic where the player's sense of 'something alien' is conveyed via more roundabout ways - musical themes, the occasional closeup of the pupil-less face seen through the visor, etc.

Robin64

Original resolution no smoothing for me. It's not that much smaller on the screen and every single pixel looks perfect. Zoom in on the girl's face in the Advance Wars pics to see what I mean, at full resolution some of the pixels are taller than others.

(Sorry AW fans, I have no idea who she is!)

hlhbk

The schedule for this month is in the OP.

Let me rephrase. After this month has nintendo given any indication that they will continue to release GBA games on the Wii U? They released a batch of GBA games on the 3ds and never released another title.

I really want them to release Metroid Zero Mission for Wii U!

Robin64

Let me rephrase. After this month has nintendo given any indication that they will continue to release GBA games on the Wii U? They released a batch of GBA games on the 3ds and never released another title.

I really want them to release Metroid Zero Mission for Wii U!

I would wager that eventually every first party GBA game will hit Wii U, plus a selection of third party ones. How long that will take is another matter entirely...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Mother 3 a possibility now?

I would wager that eventually every first party GBA game will hit Wii U, plus a selection of third party ones. How long that will take is another matter entirely...
Why would you wager that?
It's never happened before with previous VC...

Bleep

I bought Advance Wars to check out the GBA VC because I love the game. I've got to say the game looks like real garbage with the darkening filter on my TV, it looks okay when I turn the brightness all the way up on the game pad though. Enforcing the lowered brightness is still crazy to me and I don't understand how they put this out the door without an option to turn it off.

entremet

Because there aren't that many first party GBA games really.

If anything doesn't make it, it will be Pokemon.

The Pokemon Company has been reluctant on putting anything on the VC since they want full options--trading and battling.

Unless they rework the ROM someone you won't be able to trade or battle via straight emulation.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
please please please. pics of the manuals. I could buy a couple of games just for those, if well done.

Robin64

The Pokemon Company has been reluctant on putting anything on the VC since they want full options--trading and battling.

Unless they rework the ROM someone you won't be able to trade or battle via straight emulation.

Precisely. My money's on never seeing a mainline Pokemon game on VC.

We're there even any side games for GBA? I can't recall any...

Edit: I wanna say the first Mystery Dungeon...

sörine;106787603 said:
Maybe? The overwhelimgly positive response to Earthbound on VC certainly didn't hurt.

Both Nintendo (Sin & Punishment) and M2 (Monster World IV) have experience with newly localized games for VC too.

There really wasn't that much localization required for Sin & Punishment, to be fair.

Bleep

So how does multiplayer work on these?

Or does it work at all?

Specifically Advance Wars & F-Zero?

There is no multiplayer support. Advance Wars let you play multiplayer by passing the GBA back and forth, so you can still play that specific game that way.

sörine

Banned

Yes the first MD was on GBA/DS. There was also Pinball RS.

Although I think it's weird we've yet to see any of the GBC spinoffs like Pinball or Puzzle Challenge.

Given M2 being involved I find the whole forced dark screen thing to be utterly baffling. Didn't their Game Gear emulation have settings along those lines.

Speaking of Game Gear. At least Yoshi's Island won't be as bad as Sonic 2 (the 3DS could do Master System and have the version of the game where you can actually see the first bosses attacks).

Please tell me that is the ~80 page monstrosity? Shame we didn't get colour but at sort of length it is understandable.

I guess NOE does not host PDFs of these on their website like NCL do (possibly NOA but that might just be for recent systems in the support section).

entremet

Precisely. My money's on never seeing a mainline Pokemon game on VC.

Pokemon Snap was on the VC as was the Panel de Pon game for the N64. So there is precedent for side games on the VC.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Given M2 being involved I find the whole forced dark screen thing to be utterly baffling. Didn't their Game Gear emulation have settings along those lines.
Is it really that big a deal? Haven't seen it for myself but I thought Nintendo were pretty adamant on having accurate emulation, which (I assumed) is why they take so long doing it..

Top Bottom