• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

Definitely going to pick up Advance Wars at least. I have great memories of multiplayer on one GBA with a few friends, so I'm excited to try it out on Wii U by passing the gamepad around the room, hopefully it's as fun as I remember!

joedick

So would GBA games on Gamepad or TV be the ideal way to play these games? Even if you have access to a cart and a GBA SP or DS?

terrisus

Ideal way is probably Micro or SP 101

Unless you like having a bigger screen and don't value out-of-the-house portability.

I have a Micro, but the screen is just too small for my liking.
Original version of the GBA is still my way to go

Grief.exe

Unless you like having a bigger screen and don't value out-of-the-house portability.

I have a Micro, but the screen is just too small for my liking.
Original version of the GBA is still my way to go

Oh yes, the only reason I mention those is they have the backlit screen out of the box.

Some people in the GBA thread have been doing the backlit + glass screen mod to their original GBAs recently, and they look amazing.

P1010131.JPG

P1010135.JPG

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh yes, the only reason I mention those is they have the backlit screen out of the box.

Some people in the GBA thread have been doing the backlit + glass screen mod to their original GBAs recently, and they look amazing.

P1010131.JPG

P1010135.JPG

Oh man I would kill for those as I don't like the SP layout, it just doesn't feel right.

Grief.exe

Oh man I would kill for those as I don't like the SP layout, it just doesn't feel right.

I have big hands and both the Micro and SP 101 just don't feel right to me either.

The original GBA just has that perfect form factor, and a headphone adapter that the SP 101 is missing out of the box.

I just can't stand playing without the backlight, I really need to do the original GBA mod.

terrisus

I have big hands and both the Micro and SP 101 just don't feel right to me either.

The original GBA just has that perfect form factor

Agreed.

With regards to backlight, considering I mostly played the GBA outside, the lack of a backlight wasn't much of an issue for me.
A couple of years ago, my wife and I tried to play our DSs together on the beach, and it was pretty much impossible due to the glare. Meanwhile, my GBA was absolutely beautiful.

But, yeah, I love the GBA's form factor.

Agreed.

With regards to backlight, considering I mostly played the GBA outside, the lack of a backlight wasn't much of an issue for me.
A couple of years ago, my wife and I tried to play our DSs together on the beach, and it was pretty much impossible due to the glare. Meanwhile, my GBA was absolutely beautiful.

But, yeah, I love the GBA's form factor.

I agree on the backlight, the GBA was probably the last handheld electronic (outside of an E-reader)I could actually use outside without having to crane my neck around or block the sun with something. Not even my phone is completely visible without cranking the brightness up and killing the battery life.

entremet

The original GBA just has that perfect form factor, and a headphone adapter that the SP 101 is missing out of the box.

I just can't stand playing without the backlight, I really need to do the original GBA mod.

You can buy one as well.

maxcriden

Still, it wouldn't take that much effort, if it sold like Earthbound has. It probably doesn't cost much for it to be translated. For all we know, they might even have a translation already in their archives or something. I believe Mother 1 has one.

Anyway, I can't decide which GBA game to get. Metroid Fusion isn't an option since I have it on the 3DS and just beat it last year. I used to love Advance Wars when it first released but I sucked at the Campaign mode. I can't remember, does it have difficulty settings?

On the other hand, I've never played a single Mario & Luigi game and they look very charming. The only problem is I'm already playing Tales of Xillia and Borderlands 2 and I don't want to throw in another longer game right now.

Mario & Luigi is amazing but yeah it is decently long. As soon as you're ready for it definitely pick it up!

Nags

Banned
Really wished they priced this at around 5.99 but I picked up Fusion and Advance Wars. Played Fusion to death but never really gave Advance Wars a shot, so I'm pretty stoked to see what the hype is all about.

That is the big question. We need third-party stuff! Need that Ninja Five-O!

I had completely forgotten about that game. It's a Konami game, so I'm sure we'll see it sooner or later.

That will definitely be a day one purchase for me. I haven't played it since it was released.

Griss

I picked up Advance Wars. Silly price, but just to try out the GBA VC it's worth it.

First impression is that the game looks so much better on the big screen than I thought it would. I don't know why but I thought it would look unplayable on an HD TV. But since it's sprite work it blows up pretty well. Is it scaled properly or is there a way to force it into a natural multiplier of the original resolution? (Sorry if that didn't make sense.)

Second thing is the picture quality. It's nothing as dim as I was fearing from screenshots. But my issue is colour. The palette is completely different on my TV to the gamepad, and as far as I can tell the TV is far closer to what it should be. (My TV is calibrated.) On the gamepad the fields in advance wars are totally yellow. On the TV they're greenish yellow, like they should be. Anyone else find this? I mean, I've always known that the colours are a little different on the gamepad, but it has never stuck out to me to this extent.

Also, having to play through this facile tutorial levels is a pain in the ass, lol.

Robin64

First impression is that the game looks so much better on the big screen than I thought it would. I don't know why but I thought it would look unplayable on an HD TV. But since it's sprite work it blows up pretty well. Is it scaled properly or is there a way to force it into a natural multiplier of the original resolution? (Sorry if that didn't make sense.)

By default it's not quite scaled properly, but if you pick Original in screen mode, it becomes scaled by an integer. You get small black borders at the top and bottom, but it's not that far away from being full.

Griss

By default it's not quite scaled properly, but if you pick Original in screen mode, it becomes scaled by an integer. You get small black borders at the top and bottom, but it's not that far away from being full.

How do I access those options?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just want to know if Nintendo is going to add folders to the Wii U menu. Mine is getting cluttered.

rjc571

Banned
Somebody in the Nintendo Downloads thread said that there's no way to turn off the ? icon in the bottom left when you play the GBA games on the Gamepad. Is he mistaken or is there really no way to disable it?

Skelter

Banned

P1010131.JPG

P1010135.JPG

Is there anyway I can buy this from a site that isn't eBay?! This looks amazing.

daydream

Banned
Good to hear that there was care put into the emulation. Probably going to pick up all of the games over time. The only one I own is Kirby. My M&L copy turned out to be fake. :(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Is there anyway I can buy this from a site that isn't eBay?! This looks amazing.

There's http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/ which does custom shells as well, but you'll have to pay a pretty big premium.

Besides eBay there's also aliexpress.com but I hope you're not in a hurry!

Alternatively you can buy backlight kits and do the mod yourself.

EDIT: If you want to play your original GBA carts on a big screen, you can get a Super Retro Advance:

Davey Cakes

Just tried Metroid Fusion for a little bit. It does indeed look really great on the Gamepad screen. No complaints yet. Need to try the TV as well.

This emulation seems solid.

GWX

Advance Wars is SO GOOD. I hope they release the second one too!
and the Fire Emblem games

bon

I bought Metroid Fusion. Looks great on the gamepad and the TV.

the smoothening filter looks pretty bad but luckily it's just an option and it's off by default.

Went to buy Superstar Saga and ended up with all three games. No regrets though! SS is as fun as I'd hoped, and Fusion is really nice. I played Advance Wars pass-the-gamepad multiplayer with my roommate and had a blast. So far, so good!

Top Bottom