• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA VC on Wii U starting April 3rd

vanty

What is the full screen option doing compared to the original resolution option? I read that for original res the pixels are tripled in height and width, so is full screen just like making them 3.5x the size or something so it looks worse but good enough for people who are obsessed with using as much of their TV as possible?

I'm totally happy with original res and no smoothing but just wondering what exactly the full screen mode was doing.

I'm all ready to go and download Metroid fusion as it was one of my favorite games as a kid and got me into the the Metroid series. Just tried to turn turn my Wii U pad on after a few month or so of not playing anything on it and the battery is dead. A little annoyed but I dig the cable out and plug it in. I go to find a Wii controller and the battery is dead. A little more annoyed but I jammed new batteries in and managed to turn it on. I then go to the store and it say you can only access the store on the Wii U pad screen. I mean what the hell Nintendo. I want to give you money but your console tries to stop me at every turn. It's hard to believe this is the same company that made Wii Sports that allowed anyone to pick up a controller and start playing straight away. You've think that success would have created a smart and simple ethos within the company.

Anyway. I'll download it later and the positive views on here have me impressed already that the game will look good.

I'm all ready to go and download Metroid fusion as it was one of my favorite games as a kid and got me into the the Metroid series. Just tried to turn turn my Wii U pad on after a few month or so of not playing anything on it and the battery is dead. A little annoyed but I dig the cable out and plug it in. I go to find a Wii controller and the battery is dead. A little more annoyed but I jammed new batteries in and managed to turn it on. I then go to the store and it say you can only access the store on the Wii U pad screen. I mean what the hell Nintendo. I want to give you money but your console tries to stop me at every turn. It's hard to believe this is the same company that made Wii Sports that allowed anyone to pick up a controller and start playing straight away. You've think that success would have created a smart and simple ethos within the company.

Anyway. I'll download it later and the positive views on here have me impressed already that the game will look good.

I agree gamepad battery life is one of the worst flaws of the WiiU, but you know you can use it when plugged, don't you?
You can use the shop without Tv, as well as.VC games, which imo are far better on the gamepad.
But once again I agree, wiimote's consumption of batteries was a huge problem, now gamepad's battery life is horrendous.

Terrell

It feels good to enjoy Advance Wars for the first time...

It does matter quite a bit. Portable games have smaller scope and are designed around portability. Levels are shorter, for example in the Mario games. Why would I want to play this on a console over a fully reAlized Mario? Because I can carry this around with me and play it whenever I want.

Why would I want to play NES games or an indie title (which usually meet the same criteria you've listed) when I could have a "fully-realized" game for my Wii U? Why would I want a console game on an itty-bitty handheld? Why would I watch TV on my iPhone? Why did people use sub-optimal GBA emulators on their PCs back in the day? Why do people want Nintendo games on Sony and MS hardware (aside from being slightly detached from the realities of the world)?

Because content is king. Regardless of where it comes from or how it was originally intended to be enjoyed. Saying a GBA can't be on a console doesn't make any sense and "because it's small and intended for on-the-go play" isn't a reason. Intentions are not mandates.

It's content, untethered from your expectations of what it "should" be.

So you have no proof. Okay, well that's good to know. Then what's stopping Nintendo again? Whats taking them so long to release their stuff on the Wii U since the VC is so successful there? Where's the plethora of buyers on the Wii U?
I said "more successful", not a runaway sensation.

And no, I don't have proof. But neither do you. At least my position on the matter is based in something real that we can see and judge for ourselves. When you have something similar, we can continue this debate on equal terms.

Robin64

What is the full screen option doing compared to the original resolution option? I read that for original res the pixels are tripled in height and width, so is full screen just like making them 3.5x the size or something so it looks worse but good enough for people who are obsessed with using as much of their TV as possible?

I'm totally happy with original res and no smoothing but just wondering what exactly the full screen mode was doing.

Yeah, the full screen mode is stretching the pixels by a factor of 6.75 up to 1620×1080 but original resolution is just a factor of 6 up to 1440×960.

Most people probably won't notice anything being off with full screen mode, which I guess is why it's the default.

terrisus

As you found out, you didn't need to find batteries for the Wii controllers, or even find those controllers at all, as you don't need them for anything VC-related.
All you need is the WiiU gamepad.

So, if it has no charge, plug that in somewhere, download the game, and it's good to go.
I don't really see what the issue is. The WiiU gamepad is the controller for the system, so of course you need it to be functional in order to use the system.

It would be comparable to someone complaining that they needed batteries for their Wii controllers, when they already had their perfectly-functional Gamecube controllers connected.

Davey Cakes

Finally tried out some more Metroid Fusion, this time on the television. (Didn't get a chance before)

Maybe it's because I never experienced the Gameboy Player but seeing a handheld game look this good on a 40'' LED is really impressive to me.

The audio is great too. The quality of it, anyway. Obviously GBA-tailored music and sounds won't be particularly flattering on television speakers but other than complete remastering or remixing I couldn't think of any way to do better. So again, good on Nintendo for delivering this experience.

Since Nintendo pulled off the emulation of GBA on a console, it gives me confidence that the DS offerings will be up to snuff as well. I obviously hope their strides to "figure out" emulation of N64 and other systems are fruitful.

The one big drawback of GBA VC is that it's not on 3DS, which seems like a more natural place for it. That said, having it for Wii U is still very cool.

Well it's particular M2's doing that the games are this good looking. There are the best when it comes to 2D ports. I hope Nintendo already ordered more from them.

terrisus

Maybe it's because I never experienced the Gameboy Player but seeing a handheld game look this good on a 40'' LED is really impressive to me.

The audio is great too. The quality of it, anyway. Obviously GBA-tailored music and sounds won't be particularly flattering on television speakers but other than complete remastering or remixing I couldn't think of any way to do better

You definitely should try Mother 3 on the GBA Player (with Component cables for the GCN too)

Grief.exe

The one big drawback of GBA VC is that it's not on 3DS, which seems like a more natural place for it. That said, having it for Wii U is still very cool.

I believe that is one of the reasons Nintendo will probably move to a shared architecture set between their next handheld and home console will be ease of ports.

If they both use an ARM base and similar components, then their studios can focus on both systems equally without having to divert resources. Their emulators will work on both systems as well, with a shared account system for cross-buy.

I believe that is one of the reasons Nintendo will probably move to a shared architecture set between their next handheld and home console will be ease of ports.

If they both use an ARM base and similar components, then their studios can focus on both systems equally without having to divert resources. Their emulators will work on both systems as well, with a shared account system for cross-buy.

That and for more practical things - like notice the 3DS VC has no button mapping but Wii U VC does. To me, even that simple (yet VERY important) feature is evidence that two separate teams worked on the pieces of hardware.

Robin64

The button mapping is a glorious feature.

In Superstar Saga, I've put Select on X, which opens the menu and is the traditional button to do so in 90% of SNES RPGs. GBA not having X and Y was a bit of an odd decision.

Robin64

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn off the GamePad screen while playing.

Thought it would actually turn it off, though, rather than having a glowing white border and the text telling me to touch the screen to turn it back on. Not really off, is it now.

StayDead

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn off the GamePad screen while playing.

Thought it would actually turn it off, though, rather than having a glowing white border and the text telling me to touch the screen to turn it back on. Not really off, is it now.

So just to ask,, how do you do it?

If I recall correctly Nintendo did that so developers wouldn't just port SNES games on the GBA.

602px-Four_Swords_Box.png

Robin64

If I recall correctly Nintendo did that so developers wouldn't just port SNES games on the GBA.

And then that's pretty much all they did. Heh.

Aero the Acro-bat
Blackthorne
Breath Of Fire I
Breath Of Fire II
Contra III
Desert Strike
Disney's Aladdin
Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey and Minney
Disney's Magical Quest 2: Starring Mickey and Minney
Disney's Magical Quest 3: Starring Mickey and Donald
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthworm Jim 1
Earthworm Jim 2
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fight One
James Pond II: RoboCod
Mega Man & Bass
Phalanx
Prehistorik Man
R-Type III
Rock N' Roll Racing
Super Ghoul's N Ghosts
Super Mario Bros 2 All-Stars version
Super Mario Bros 3 All-Stars version
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Soccer Kid
Tales of Phantasia
The Legend Of The Mystical Ninja (J)
The Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past
The Lost Vikings

Robin64

I know I'll definitely get Wario Ware this week, but I'm torn on Kirby's Amazing Mirror. Hilarious in multiplayer, but solo, eh... Plus I always get lost on my own.

Is it good?
It is a very creative game in how weird (but amusing) its microgame scenarios can be. If you mainline to the end it is very short but you will not have seen all the games on offer.

There are also unlockable games like Paper Plane (which got made into a DSiWare game) and Dr. Wario (its like Doctor Mario but with intentionally off physics, only big Dr. Mario fans notice though) and endless modes for each game and level.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is a very creative game in how weird (but amusing) its microgame scenarios can be. If you mainline to the end it is very short but you will not have seen all the games on offer.

There are also unlockable games like Paper Plane (which got made into a DSiWare game) and Dr. Wario (its like Doctor Mario but with intentionally off physics, only big Dr. Mario fans notice though) and endless modes for each game and level.

Cool, I might give it a try. Thanks!

Robin64

The GBA one is my favourite because there are no "gimmicks", you're just a button press or two away from the goal of the game. It's the purest incarnation of the series and it really shines because of it. Just you and your reactions versus the task, GO.

(Not that the "gimmicks" were bad. The Wii one was hilarious!)

Meesh

Biting my nails waiting for the announcement of FFVI. Please, may the Nintengods be merciful XD

Only got to play Metroid Fusion so far but I'm fairly impressed, which I didn't really expect to be for a GBA port.

I've emulated GBA games in high resolutions and played on my TV before but there were always significant sound issues and ugliness. These look as crisp as upscaled SNES games do.

Also this is pretty much Nintendo's last and best chance at finally releasing Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 6 overseas, no cartridges to print, only emulation the bulk of which is already done, the only issue would be the cost of translating, so maybe they'll wait till there are more consoles and the new Smash out there to drive sales. Damn you for giving me hope Nintendo!

Davey Cakes

Also this is pretty much Nintendo's last and best chance at finally releasing Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 6 overseas, no cartridges to print, only emulation the bulk of which is already done, the only issue would be the cost of translating, so maybe they'll wait till there are more consoles and the new Smash out there to drive sales. Damn you for giving me hope Nintendo!
For us Mother fans, Mother 3 hitting the GBA VC is a dream.

I've already beaten the game via the Fan Translation but I'd buy it and likely replay it on the GBA VC without question. I did the same for Earthbound.

In fact, Earthbound was already really successful if I remember correctly. Maybe that'd be enough to justify a Mother 3 localization?

sörine

Banned
I'll pick up Amazing Mirror and Wario Ware but I'll probably shelve them for the time being like I did Metroid Fusion due to having completed them all recently on 3DS. I really wish Nintendo had prioritized non-Ambassador GBA titles for the first month rollout. Zero Mission especially.

entremet

I used to own Superstar Saga on GBA, I was near the end of the game and then I lost my save. Probably dead or dying battery.

That deflated a lot of my motivation to replay it. It's been a while, though, so I might pick up for the VC. But I remember really liking the game. It was surprisingly hard too. Well for Nintendo standards at the time.

Saying a GBA can't be on a console doesn't make any sense and "because it's small and intended for on-the-go play" isn't a reason. Intentions are not mandates.
Show me where I said they can't be on a console and you might have a point. The gameboy player has existed since the SNES after all. What I said is why they also belong on a handheld. Because they were designed around that style of platform. It's not an either/or proposition here, unless that's what you want it to be, but that'd be pretty weird. I hope you understand that it is a reasonable thing to want to play Golden Sun on a handheld when that's where you played it ten years ago. On the go.

I said "more successful", not a runaway sensation.

And no, I don't have proof. But neither do you. At least my position on the matter is based in something real that we can see and judge for ourselves. When you have something similar, we can continue this debate on equal terms
As far as I can tell from just perusing the VC section of the 3DS, it's still receiving titles, from third parties no less. Unless they're not real according to you. So your speculation that they're not receiving titles on the platform because of sales seems pretty off base, especially using the Wii U of all platforms as an excuse.

ALM5252

Do we know when Super Mario World GBA will be released in USA? That's the GBA game I really want.

Also, how is Super Star Saga? I never bothered playing the M&L games because I preferred the Paper Mario series, but how is it and how does it compare to Paper Mario?

Hugstable

Banned
GBA game I want the most that I haven't even seen mention of in this thread... Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Far and away the best game the GBA has to offer, made by the amazing Treasure. Everyone keeps spouting how South Park and Batman AA are the greatest licensed games ever, but I highly doubt they have ever touched the masterpiece that is Astro Boy: Omega Factor. I love how the game is basically built around multiple playthroughs to get the real ending and bosses as well.

sStKwon.png

Terrell

Show me where I said they can't be on a console and you might have a point. The gameboy player has existed since the SNES after all. What I said is why they also belong on a handheld. Because they were designed around that style of platform. It's not an either/or proposition here, unless that's what you want it to be, but that'd be pretty weird. I hope you understand that it is a reasonable thing to want to play Golden Sun on a handheld when that's where you played it ten years ago. On the go.

Your original quote that started all of this was as follows:

It make more sense on the 3DS because these are portable games built to be played on the go. Not tethered to a console that you cant drag it's amazing screen on controller outside a room.

Forgive me for rightfully misinterpreting that as an indictment of the content being on a console and structuring the conversation as an either/or proposition when you're saying "it should be on this instead of on this because of these downsides."

As far as I can tell from just perusing the VC section of the 3DS, it's still receiving titles, from third parties no less. Unless they're not real according to you. So your speculation that they're not receiving titles on the platform because of sales seems pretty off base, especially using the Wii U of all platforms as an excuse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_(North_America)

Outside of Mega Man NES titles that were already on Wii U (thus making for an easy port), 3rd party support actually dried up completely after 2012. Unless we count Game Gear titles, which Sega kept trying to sell up until the summer of 2013 when those finally dried up, too. (likely already made with no 2nd order to make more)

Of course, I'm sure you'll bring up Japan, a region neither of us live in that (guess what) likely has different sales figures to justify such a decision, but even the support in Japan from 3rd-parties is incredibly sparse, even by comparison to its support for Wii U in the same region.

But feel free to continue basing your opinion on nothing.

sörine

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_(North_America)

Outside of Mega Man NES titles that were already on Wii U (thus making for an easy port), 3rd party support actually dried up completely after 2012. Unless we count Game Gear titles, which Sega kept trying to sell up until the summer of 2013 when those finally dried up, too.
Are we looking at the same list? There's a bunch of 2013/2014 3rd party NES games from Konami, Namco Bandai, Tecmo Koei and Aksys, some one offs from Hamster, Tozai and Kaga, GBC from Natsume and Wayforward, plus Sega's Game Gear and 3D Classics stuff. I mean, if course I'd like more (Square Enix and Atlus seem conspicuously absent, as is TG16) but it doesn't seem to be the decrease overall from 2012 you're suggesting.

Terrell

sörine;107285600 said:
Are we looking at the same list? There's a bunch of 2013/2014 3rd party NES games from Konami, Namco Bandai, Tecmo Koei and Aksys, some one offs from Hamster, Tozai and Kaga, GBC from Natsume and Wayforward, plus Sega's Game Gear and 3D Classics stuff. I mean, if course I'd like more (Square Enix and Atlus seem conspicuously absent, as is TG16) but it doesn't seem to be the decrease overall from 2012 you're suggesting.

Oh yeah, there were a couple other cheap-and-easy NES port-ups, most of which were also released for Wii U around the same timeframe. Hmmm....
3 GBC games? My heart goes pitter-patter. And I already addressed Game Gear into 2013, where it mysteriously grinds to a full halt.

Wii U has had 35 3rd-party releases on its Virtual Console across 2 platforms in a year and 3 months.

3DS has had 57 (73 if I include Game Gear, which is pretty much all but dead since almost a year ago) 3rd-party releases on its Virtual Console across 2 platforms (being generous and excluding GBC as a separate platform, 3 platforms if you include Game Gear) in 2 years and 10 months.

If I include the Game Gear numbers, that's an average ratio of 2.15 per month on 3DS and 2.33 on Wii U.

So in spite of a whole other platform to release for and a year and 7 month head start, Wii U is STILL eclipsing 3DS 3rd party support.

And this is before I take a look at month-to-month comparisons since both services were out, which makes it even more damning because, as I stated, 3rd-party support was front loaded and mostly flatlined in 2012. At least Wii U's "trickle" of releases is still steady.

And let's not even talk about this disparity in relation to user base, that would be downright mean of me.

I can see myself buying Advance Wars on the Virtual Console. I really liked Fire Emblem Awakening, so it would only make sense to buy another game in the genre.

maxcriden

Do we know when Super Mario World GBA will be released in USA? That's the GBA game I really want.

Also, how is Super Star Saga? I never bothered playing the M&L games because I preferred the Paper Mario series, but how is it and how does it compare to Paper Mario?

I'd say the M&L series is just as good, just different in some ways. The two series share a lot of similarities, though, and I personally love both.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I've really been enjoying my experience with GBA VC, specifically when I brought advance wars, my very first AW, if you dont count the battalion wars series.

Porcile

I'm surprised how good Advance Wars looks on a massive TV. Timeless sprite work right there. I'll be buying more of these for sure.

Terrell

So I've really been enjoying my experience with GBA VC, specifically when I brought advance wars, my very first AW, if you dont count the battalion wars series.

I played Famicom Wars back in the day when one of our rental stores did Famicom games with a special adapter, and had a guide to understand the Japanese. It was... SLOW to play it when you're translating everything at age 10, but it was a lot of fun.

The Wars series is fantastic, always has been, but it REALLY came into its own with Advance Wars, so you are easily playing the best that the series has to offer.

Top Bottom