• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC '10 Expectations

element

why is there only one keynote? Typically you have a major doing a keynote and then a vision keynote the following day.

Shurs

My rolling "want" list for Sony:

Colony Wars
Patapon and a "real" LocoRoco game for PS3 available through PSN
Parappa The Rapper PS3
Little Big Planet 3d, and by 3d I mean a 3d platformer like Mario 64
A new Siren game.
A new Wipeout game
Hulu support for PS3
Ico/ Shadow of the Colossus HD remaster

A new Hot Shots Golf w/ Motion Controller support... Actually, a Clap Hanz developed Hot Shots Golf/Tennis/(blank) game that launches with Arc. You'd be able to expand the game with courses/characters through DLC.

TheOddOne

Rumour: “LBP2″ is out this year
It’s GDC week! And you know what that means? It means developers get lippy with their secrets. First up: Sony’s releasing something called “LBP2″ this year.

Whether the LittleBigPlanet product’s disc-based or a download is unknown as yet, but our source was cast iron on a 2010 ship.

Sony’s holding a press conference in GDC’s locality this week, but we have no idea if anything from Media Molecule’s to be included.

A second game in the series would signal a major change in tack. The UK developer categorically said last November that releasing a full sequel is something it’d “never want to do,” with level designer Danny Leaver adding it’d “be the most counter-productive thing you could do, I think.”

Producer Martin Lynagh said in the same interview, “I think what you’ve seen so far from LittleBigPlanet, that’s the way it’s going to continue. We have a lot of stuff coming out, especially next year.”

To date, the game has been serviced by DLC through PSN.

We asked Media Molecule co-founders Kareem Ettouney and Mark Healy at Develop last summer if they were working on a disc-based sequel. Answer came their none.

It was announced last week that Sony has fully bought the studio.

LittleBigPlanet is a platform game featuring a little sack character and a suite of user-used development tools. It was released in 2008.

It was confirmed in November last year that more than 1.3 million gamer-generated levels had been created for LBP, and last week that more than 2 million have been made to date.
Called it.

Firestorm

"I've taken a bit of a shift when it comes to programming keynotes," Scavio told GamesIndustry.biz at the beginning of the year. "I really want to focus on developers, and I want to have a developer onstage at GDC every year as a way of showcasing what the conference is about."
Give this man a medal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheOddOne said:

I think they're slightly misrepresenting what they said about a sequel. They didn't say they'd never want to do a sequel, they said they'd never want to fragment the community. Not one and the same thing.

Also, the q+a they linked to earlier:

http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/30/hello-littlebigplanet-bosses-are-you-working-on-a-sequel/

I mean they couldn't be any more coy about that. I hadn't actually seen that video before, but if anything IMO it seems to suggest they are cooking...'something'...that could be construed as a sequel of sorts...while still being 'littlebigplanet'.

To quote directly, when asked if they were working on a disc-based sequel to LBP: 'Leg it!' 'Ooooh...maybe we are, maybe we aren't!' 'What we can say is that everyone in Media Molecule is working on LittleBigPlanet.' 'In some form or another.'

There's already precedent for them to release content that is on the one hand only for players who've bought it while on the other hand not alienating or locking out other players (e.g. I can play a MGS user level with a friend, but can't use the MGS kit or play MM's MGS levels if I don't buy). I think that could be a model for how they can do a sequel that integrates with the existing infrastructure/userbase. Maybe. Perhaps.

2010 seems an awfully ambitious timeframe though for anything like that. I'd LOVE that. But I dunno if I'll get my hopes up yet.

Kinan

Basically only thing that makes this GDC interesting for us, is that MS and Sony will most likely explain their motion tracking approaches to developers in details, so we shall get plenty of information about Arc and Natal this week.

Do not expect anything else, but there are always few leaks/insiders impressions that could be interesting.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
To quote directly, when asked if they were working on a disc-based sequel to LBP: 'Leg it!' 'Ooooh...maybe we are, maybe we aren't!' 'What we can say is that everyone in Media Molecule is working on LittleBigPlanet.' 'In some form or another.'

That doesn't sound like a "no", so I guess the answer is "YES!". :lol

No point in teasing if you are not developing a sequel.

I wonder if it's possible that LBP2 could be a different genre? I know I remember talk about a RPG style LBP. I just can't remember if that was just fan speculation or if MM threw something like that out there.

Salazar

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder if it's possible that LBP2 could be a different genre? I know I remember talk about a RPG style LBP. I just can't remember if that was just fan speculation or if MM threw something like that out there.

I'm not sure how much more exhilaratingly they can push back the boundaries of sandbox.

Feindflug

Here's what I expect:

Crysis 2 on consoles shown
New updated version of UE3 showcase from Epic
Gears of War 3 announced
Lost Planet 2 new trailer
Star Wars: FU2 gameplay trailer
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands gameplay trailer
Far Cry 3 trailer
Fable 3 new info

nosf1234

Neo Member
We need to know how when and where Miyamoto's testing the vitality sensor. I bet those kidnapped employees have a lot to share :D :D

nosf1234 said:
We need to know how when and where Miyamoto's testing the vitality sensor. I bet those kidnapped employees have a lot to share :D :D

So that was actually his idea? I'm forever going to associate that with Iwata now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I expect Zelda Wii and Wii HD bundle to be announced (RRP US$250).

EatChildren said:
I expect Zelda Wii and Wii HD bundle to be announced (RRP US$250).

E3. Haven't we been told Zelda will be shown at E3? It would make sense. Actually, the bundle will probably be announced about a month before Zelda's release.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Galvanise_ said:
E3. Haven't we been told Zelda will be shown at E3? It would make sense. Actually, the bundle will probably be announced about a month before Zelda's release.

Thats what they want you to think. E3 is red herring. Iwata will drop the bomb at GDC and he's not even supposed to be there.

Shurs

gofreak said:
I think they're slightly misrepresenting what they said about a sequel. They didn't say they'd never want to do a sequel, they said they'd never want to fragment the community. Not one and the same thing.

Also, the q+a they linked to earlier:

http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/30/hello-littlebigplanet-bosses-are-you-working-on-a-sequel/

I mean they couldn't be any more coy about that. I hadn't actually seen that video before, but if anything IMO it seems to suggest they are cooking...'something'...that could be construed as a sequel of sorts...while still being 'littlebigplanet'.

There's already precedent for them to release content that is on the one hand only for players who've bought it while on the other hand not alienating or locking out other players (e.g. I can play a MGS user level with a friend, but can't use the MGS kit or play MM's MGS levels if I don't buy). I think that could be a model for how they can do a sequel that integrates with the existing infrastructure/userbase. Maybe. Perhaps.

2010 seems an awfully ambitious timeframe though for anything like that. I'd LOVE that. But I dunno if I'll get my hopes up yet.

What if LBP = Super Mario World and LBP2 = Mario 64?

It seems like making the environments 3d would get around the issue of fragmenting the community a little better than releasing another 2.5d LBP. Of course a lot of creators would attempt to make levels in 3d, but there certainly would be a bunch of people who would continue making 2d levels as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shurs said:

It seems like making the environments 3d would get around the issue of fragmenting the community a little better than releasing another 2.5d LBP. Of course a lot of creators would attempt to make levels in 3d, but there certainly would be a bunch of people who would continue making 2d levels as well.

Really curious to see what they come up with. Honestly, building "proper" 3D levels (like Mario 64 ones) might be too hard/complex for the average player, limiting community production. I expect something more simple to manage like top-down isometric view (Fat Princess, Alien Breed etc) with added RPG-like game logic and of course the ability to freely move along the Z axis rather than having to jump between planes. It would be amazing to re-create something alone the lines of Nintendo DS Zeldas and what not.

Shurs

TTP said:
Really curious to see what they come up with. Honestly, building "proper" 3D levels (like Mario 64 ones) might be too hard/complex for the average player, limiting community production. I expect something more simple to manage like isometric view (Fat Princess, Alien Breed etc) with added RPG-like game logic and of course the ability to freely move along the Z axis rather than having to jump between planes. It would be amazing to re-create something alone the lines of Nintendo DS Zeldas and what not.

Yeah, I wasn't sure of the logistics; difficulty for creators, system memory, etc. If possible, I would love to see it. One would think that the ARC could make creating in a 3d space a bit easier. Regardless, I'm excited to see what their next project is.

glaurung

LBP2... so it goes the same way as L4D2.

But there's a huge load of DLC available for the first LBP, they will need to maintain compatibility if they want to sell a sequel so quick.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So... who is going to make what is expected to be the most epic Hype thread for a SCE conference ever? I can't wait to see the hype train start, pick up steam, and get derailed with the quickness.

I still think Star(c)hawk is an ideal opportunity to showcase an Arc-supported title at GDC. At least we might get impressions from closed-door sessions...

EDIT: this is pure speculation, of course.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shurs said:

They thought about doing the original LBP in full 3D, but ultimately decided to fix things to 2D planes for the sake of accessibility/simplicity on the creation side. I think with 3D you've got a much more complex situation wrt creating things. It's hard, with a joypad anyway, to move things around in 3D space arbitrarily, to build in 3D. You could argue that Arc is the perfect remedy...and actually I'd love to see some sort of 3D creation games/tools with Arc...but even then it wouldn't be necessarily quite as simple as when you constrain things to a 2D plane. So I think they'd have to weigh it up carefully.

I'm sure whatever they do it will have been well considered.

Monty Mole said:
Didn't MediaMolecule confirm to EuroGamer only a few months ago that they wouldn't do a LBP2 as it would be a "disservice to the original"?

Can you find a link? If it's just the same comments VG247 cited then I think that's a misrepresentation of what they said. If you go back to the original source of their comments, they didn't say that a sequel would be counterproductive per se - they said splitting the community in two would be counterproductive. The precise context:

“We’d never fragment the community.” asserts Danny.

So that means we’ll never see another LittleBigPlanet disc, because that would create two sets of LBP players who couldn’t share with one another?

“We’d never want to do that. That’d be the most counterproductive thing you could do I think.”

I do not think they're saying here that they'd never do a sequel - but that they'd not do a sequel that fragments the userbase into entirely disjoint sets of players. There's already add-ons for LBP that 'plug in' to the original community and that work in a way that doesn't entirely lock out people who don't buy the add-on, and I think a sequel could work in much the same way.

In other words you could have a sequel that has a load of new tools - perhaps even some very radical ones - and a disc-load of new MM content. People who buy the sequel would have access to that content and would be able to use those new tools in building their own new stuff. People who don't though, might be able to still play user-created stuff using the new tools. So players in LBP2 land could still share stuff back with people still in LBP land. That's how the released packs have worked so far anyway...

edit - if you want to see the unfiltered reaction of some MM people to the question of a sequel for yourself, from last summer, then this might be revealing:

glaurung said:
LBP2... so it goes the same way as L4D2.

I think 2010 would be...ambitious...for a LBP2 release, but not because of the timescale involved. L4D2 came out just a year after L4D. Late 2010 would be two years after LBP's release.

I think what makes it seem unexpectedly soon is that the notion seems to be coming out of the blue, and they are a small team...

androvsky said:
The source is one of the least reliable people on the Internet, and the quote was originally about what the Gametrailers TV announcement last week was going to be...

Really? Do you have a link to the original source/quote? Damn the internetz, you can't trust anybody.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Suzzopher said:
So will Sony announce their Premium PSN services this week?

That could actually be a good bet. Depending on feature-set for any such service, dev opportunities/challenges may present themselves, so GDC might be a good place to announce such things.

Back to LBP for a second, the prospect of a sequel announcement is almost as exciting for me because of the chance to trade ol' sack-raiden in for something new. Finally! Pls? Might also lead to some fair-weather friends readopting sackboy avatars... :p

Suzzopher said:
So will Sony announce their Premium PSN services this week?

I think its the right time to. Sony usually pack their E3 presentation with numbers, PS2, taking about the historic shrine auditorium etc. This year they'll probably have an extended segment on the motion controller and some firmware update news. I think the Premium service will have to be announced at GDC.

gofreak said:
Do we know for sure they won't have a conference at GDC? I'd say to wait til Mon/Tue ... we should know by then for sure. These won't be announced through GDC though. Have to wait for MS or Nintendo PR to confirm details.
There are no platform keynotes. GDC decided to focus on what's important to its audience and goals for keynotes this year. Sid Meier is the only main conference keynote, and then as usual there are specific discipline keynotes for programming, art, production, etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chris Remo said:
There are no platform keynotes. GDC decided to focus on what's important to its audience and goals for keynotes this year. Sid Meier is the only main conference keynote, and then as usual there are specific discipline keynotes for programming, art, production, etc.

I was asking more about external conferences, whether MS/Nintendo had confirmed they won't have any. Yes, there are no platform holder keynotes/conferences that are officially part of GDC, but that wouldn't necessarily stop the platform holders from holding their own press conferences 'outside' GDC. It doesn't seem to be stopping Sony who're doing a conference on Wednesday, so I was asking if we could thus be sure that MS and Nintendo won't also have similar arrangements.

androvsky said:
Well, this is where I first read the quote, note the date and thread it's in. :)

I'm not saying Motorstorm 3 or Starhawk won't be announced at GDC, but if they are, it's purely by coincidence.

Ah ok, he predicted Starhawk for the GTTV announcement and not for a GDC reveal, yeah I guess that doesn't bode well for his second prediction.

Well I won't expect too much from GDC then, but one thing we'll get for sure, some news about the Arc.

gofreak said:
I was asking more about external conferences, whether MS/Nintendo had confirmed they won't have any. Yes, there are no platform holder keynotes/conferences that are officially part of GDC, but that wouldn't necessarily stop the platform holders from holding their own press conferences 'outside' GDC. It doesn't seem to be stopping Sony who're doing a conference on Wednesday, so I was asking if we could thus be sure that MS and Nintendo won't also have similar arrangements.
They've got nothing similar scheduled as far as I know. Anything else will likely be announced in meetings rather than an event.

iceatcs

Chris Remo said:
That's right, there is none for GDC. Sony do have one for it own,. It is nothing to do with GDC because 7pm is when GDC will be close for night.

Top Bottom