• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC '10 Expectations

EatChildren said:
Thats what they want you to think. E3 is red herring. Iwata will drop the bomb at GDC and he's not even supposed to be there.

If anything, the noose around Zelda's neck has gotten even tighter. Probably wont see jack until E3. How many bodyguards does Miyamoto have outside his hotel door?

iceatcs

Monty Mole said:
Yep, this is just Sony's Q1 presser. We've had Microsoft's X10 and Nintendo's press event a couple of weeks ago. Now it's Sony's turn.
Oh, you got the ticket/pass card? What it will have?
What title will be demo?

And most important where's the event will be? :p

gofreak said:
Well, this would be one way to get Arc off to a good start - MCV is saying that they're hearing rumours that LBP2 will be a motion controller exclusive, out Q4 this year.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37885/PS3-Motion-Control-details-incoming

Also relaying rumours from VG247 that Sony will announce tomorrow the name, launch date and publisher partner list for the controller, ahead of their conference on Wednesday.
lol, those LBP2 rumours are also from VG247.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Monty Mole said:
lol, those LBP2 rumours are also from VG247.

VG didn't mention the motion controller bit though.

They may well just be recycling VG247's one and adding a bit of embellishment of their own though, sure.

ps3-motion-controllers-revealed-at-e3-2009.jpg

ps3-motion-controller-demo-shot1.jpg

When I saw this demo, I immediatly thought of Demon Souls, give me Demon Souls 2 with arc support please.

Loudninja

gofreak said:
Well, this would be one way to get Arc off to a good start - MCV is saying that they're hearing rumours that LBP2 will be a motion controller exclusive, out Q4 this year.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37885/PS3-Motion-Control-details-incoming

Also relaying rumours from VG247 that Sony will announce tomorrow the name, launch date and publisher partner list for the controller, ahead of their conference on Wednesday.
I really doubt this,why would they mess up the community like this?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMPrince said:
When is Sony's Conference tomorrow? i may have the day off work so I can board the hype train :lol

It's on Wednesday (7pm EST). But there's talk of a pre-conference Arc-related announcement tomorrow.

Loudninja said:

Which bit...the sequel, or the motion controller part of the rumour?

glaurung

DMPrince said:
When is Sony's Conference tomorrow? i may have the day off work so I can board the hype train :lol
Official SONY conference is on Wednesday.

Tomorrow's the day when the official partner list and proper name/date (?) press release will be released.

Edit: beaten to it by like, two people.

gofreak said:
VG didn't mention the motion controller bit though.

They may well just be recycling VG247's one and adding a bit of embellishment of their own though, sure.
To be fair, MCV is usually very reliable, as the UK's main games retail mag. If they're relaying rumours from VG247, it might be because they know more themselves.

So, this rumoured press release is at 7PM PST on the 9th March / 1AM GMT on the 10th March - with the press conference a day later?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Monty Mole said:
To be fair, MCV is usually very reliable, as the UK's main games retail mag. If they're relaying rumours from VG247, it might be because they know more themselves.

That's true, though occasionally they get some things wrong...or pick them up wrong at least... We shall see I guess.

Loudninja said:

Because I don't think it will be developed by MediaMolecule, they have already said they are not interested in doing a sequel, but just wants to keep sipporting the game with DLC as their view of a sequel.

I can see a LBP2 developed by the ones that did the PSP game(Cambrige) and MM work on a new IP.

Loudninja

gofreak said:
It's on Wednesday (7pm EST). But there's talk of a pre-conference Arc-related announcement tomorrow.

Which bit...the sequel, or the motion controller part of the rumour?
Motion controller,its not a good idea to make the game motion controller exclusive optional would be fine though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rapping Granny said:
Because I don't think it will be developed by MediaMolecule, they have already said they are not interested in doing a sequel, but just wants to keep sipporting the game with DLC as their view of a sequel.

I can see a LBP2 developed by the ones that did the PSP game(Cambrige) and MM work on a new IP.

Read posts above yours. Previous page actually.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loudninja said:
Motion controller,its not a good idea to make the game motion controller exclusive optional would be fine though.

If they're going to even have optional motion controller mechanics/toys to play with, then by necessity there's going to be some things you'll need a motion controller to play with. Like even the mechanic shown at TGS - a new material type that can be point-and-click grabbed with the motion controller - you could argue that that's 'splitting the audience' in the sense you suggest. But I wouldn't be too worried about that, and people didn't seem too worried about it back then.

Rapping Granny said:
When I saw this demo, I immediatly thought of Demon Souls, give me Demon Souls 2 with arc support please.
Yes, if you want to see the shitstorm of the century, this would be great.

Loudninja

gofreak said:
If they're going to even have optional motion controller mechanics/toys to play with, then by necessity there's going to be some things you'll need a motion controller to play with. Like even the mechanic shown at TGS - a new material type that can be point-and-click grabbed with the motion controller - you could argue that that's 'splitting the audience' in the sense you suggest. But I wouldn't be too worried about that, and people didn't seem too worried about it back then.

See LBP lives or dies on its community that why LBP is doing well.To make LBP2 motion controller exclusive would be foolish.Also its no guarantee people actually wont to use the motion controller as well.

Linkified

Loudninja said:
See LBP lives or dies on its community that why LBP is doing well.To make LBP2 motion controller exclusive would be foolish.Also its no guarantee people actually wont to use the motion controller as well.
No it really wouldn't all the lbp creators who loved lbp would jump on it new gamers would. It could literally be 'the' piece of software that one could get with arc

Thanks everyone for the answer.

About LBP2. I don't want it to have Arc support as the main focus. It would be great to have an option to use it or not. it would be a great Arc Bundle. that way if LBP2 is revealed. it would allow varied gameplay mechanic like shooting and stuff. but still have the option to use controller for those that don't like the waggle. I don't like them to be forced if they decide to sell the Arc without LBP2 if it indeeds has arc support. But it's Sony and Grace Chen is still pissed off so LBP2 and Arc will be sold separately.

And Natal. God knows Microsoft will definitely most likely pimp out the same shitty retarded dance game where you hit the ball again.

McHuj

I don't really need to new game announcements, but things I hope to see from GDC:

1. I would love to see info on the latest id tech.
2. Updates to the source engine. I'm hoping that would provide some hints about how future iterations of halflife look.
3. Unreal Engine 3 updates and any info on Unreal engine 4.
4. Would love to see how developers are using Natal to augment traditional controller game play instead of focusing on making it the primary controller.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loudninja said:

I think...it depends. You could make aspects of the sequel motion controller exclusive while retaining 'backwards compatibility'/accessibility with the original community, for example. Like say, create-mode in the sequel could be motion controller exclusive (for certain reasons that might be more obvious upon seeing it), while allowing 'play' with either type of controller. With user content created in the sequel, shareable back with the original community (as per the existing add-on model).

I think it's an interesting argument though. Cos they have also already shown specific toys that appear to be motion controller exclusive for the 'play' part of the game, at TGS. You could argue that it's not fragmenting the community in the sense that user-created levels with that toy will still be accessible to all..but in order to actual play them properly you need the motion controller.

I dunno...we'll see. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the speculation anyway. Whatever MM does, whenever they do it, I'm sure they'll have very carefully considered all this. They seem acutely aware of community cohesion. On the other hand, though, you have to balance that with evolution and development of the franchise.

Loudninja

gofreak said:
I think...it depends. You could make aspects of the sequel motion controller exclusive while retaining 'backwards compatibility'/accessibility with the original community, for example. Like say, create-mode in the sequel could be motion controller exclusive (for certain reasons that might be more obvious upon seeing it), while allowing 'play' with either type of controller. With user content created in the sequel, shareable back with the original community (as per the existing add-on model).

I think it's an interesting argument though. Cos they have also already shown specific toys that appear to be motion controller exclusive for the 'play' part of the game, at TGS. You could argue that it's not fragmenting the community in the sense that user-created levels with that toy will still be accessible to all..but in order to actual play them properly you need the motion controller.

I dunno...we'll see. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the speculation anyway. Whatever MM does, whenever they do it, I'm sure they'll have very carefully considered all this. They seem acutely aware of community cohesion. On the other hand, though, you have to balance that with evolution and development of the franchise.

Yep I agree lets see how this goes. :D

iceatcs said:
LBP will have motion control support with patch. If you forgot, there is demo video, but it is more co-op gameplay. I'm sure they can get more features on LBP if they allow.

if it is still happening. they may just be like why waste time to patch it into LBP when we can just focus on LBP2 with the arc support? It looks tacked on anyways. no point in trying to "test".

iceatcs

DMPrince said:
if it is still happening. they may just be like why waste time to patch it into LBP when we can just focus on LBP2 with the arc support?
What if LBP2 is more of expansion like new world/story, but same gameplay and support both titles community.

Because they (rumour) have hard time to find weather if it is a retail or DD. If it was DD maybe it is ideal market for expansion world/story only. (little like the biggest version of MGS DLC with few levels)

iceatcs said:
What if LBP2 is more of expansion like new world/story, but same gameplay and support both titles community.

Because they (rumour) have hard time to find weather if it is a retail or DD. If it was DD maybe it is ideal market for expansion world/story only. (little like the biggest version of MGS DLC with few levels)

I wouldn't call it LBP2 then. That'd be like LBP patched in for Arc support and DLC.

I don't know. it's hard to figure out what LBP2 could be which probably end up nothing more than LBP1 with added features.

I really want LBP2 to be different from LBP1 but at the same time feel like LBP1.

The base of the game of creating platformer was great. very pick up and play. I don't know how exactly they could expand into other genre outside of that. I don't see RPG being one. That would be all kinds of confusing for regular people. It would just be too intimidating. Shooter on the other hand sounds simple. (Top down or vert shooter).

Anyways. I don't want to speculate or create a dream game. i'll just wait and see what they show off if there is a LBP2.

I would guess LBP2 is simply a 4th PLANET in the LBP Universe.

It might come on DISC but it will be most definitely direct download friendly for the existing user base because doing it any other way (LBP2 disc) would not make sense. They need to leverage the existing online infrastructure and format not make people insert multiple discs to play LBP.

1st Planet: Me
2nd Planet: Play Levels (non motion)
3rd Planet: Create
New 4th planet: Motion Play Levels

iceatcs said:
I mean new world like new 50 levels on new planet, not like the usually DLC.

"Wand" will come to LBP by patch, no question.
So nothing to do "wand", just kind of sequel of LBP I mean.

But I don't think there is LBP2 coming very soon, I won't mind for spin-off.

The LBP world and story wasn't that great to begin with as it wasn't meant to be.

If there was a new world then i want it to be LBP Expansion pack and LBP2 shouldn't be mentioned then.

iceatcs

DMPrince said:
The LBP world and story wasn't that great to begin with as it wasn't meant to be.

If there was a new world then i want it to be LBP Expansion pack and LBP2 shouldn't be mentioned then.
ok...

Rapping Granny said:
ps3-motion-controllers-revealed-at-e3-2009.jpg

ps3-motion-controller-demo-shot1.jpg

LordPhoque said:
Worst idea ever.
templeusox said:
Yes, if you want to see the shitstorm of the century, this would be great.
Why are you guys shitting all over Rapping Granny's idea? Seems like it would work to me.

I hope there aren't too many motion-control only games. Hopefully developers will put it in there as an option. I'll be disappointed if the only way you can play a new Little Big Planet or Killzone 3 is with motion-control.

Linkified said:
Remember John Davision and David Ellis said there would be an origins Gears of War that could be out this year.

Which will not happen. This is a Halo year, and Microsoft sure as hell will not be stupid enough to release their two biggest IP's in the same year. It will just dillute attention from one product. Unless it is a XBLA game of some sorts, we won't hear a word of Gears untill next year when the scheduel is clear.

Linkified

Vinterbird said:
Which will not happen. This is a Halo year, and Microsoft sure as hell will not be stupid enough to release their two biggest IP's in the same year. It will just dillute attention from one product. Unless it is a XBLA game of some sorts, we won't hear a word of Gears untill next year when the scheduel is clear.

Oh absolutely they won't do a 'proper' Gears this year - but a Gears RTS, is very possible.

If FarCry 3 addresses the AI problems and checkpoints, then I'm definately on board.

Oh character/plot development. It felt pretty dry and pointless in FC2.

Vinterbird said:

Except that Gears is not a MS IP. I'd personally love to see Gears 3 this year.

Linkified

AranhaHunter said:
Except that Gears is not a MS IP. I'd personally love to see Gears 3 this year.

But MS does the marketing so they would advise Epic. Plus they have the money to be able to market Gears, Halo Reach, Natal, any other software - I'm not sure if MS can juggle all those things though.

Top Bottom